PDA

View Full Version : Hehe, I got Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind for free

Canyarion
02-15-2004, 03:20 PM
With my video card. :p
I've had it for like 8 months, but I never thought it was any good... but now I wanna try it.

Does anybody have this game? Is it worth my time?

Happydude
02-15-2004, 03:41 PM
lol....that least question is funny because it will require all your time...the game is HUGE.

it's really good if you like RPGs...i liked it, but i stopped playing for a little while and then after that forgot what i was doing what i did and what i was supposed to do...so if you start playing it, don't stop.

Null
02-15-2004, 04:11 PM
i looked thro my CD's that came with my vid card not too long ago, and found out mine came with Deus Ex

heh, still have never played it.

Canyarion
02-16-2004, 07:16 AM
I like it so far! :D

Happydude
02-16-2004, 09:35 AM
i looked thro my CD's that came with my vid card not too long ago, and found out mine came with Deus Ex

heh, still have never played it.
Deus Ex is one of the best game's i've played...it has only one flaw, no autosave.

so here's a word of advice: SAVE EVERY 2-5 MINUTES OR YOU'RE F*CKED! :p (use the quick-save button)

Yoda9864
02-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Morrowind is one of the best games I have ever played. I got it like two summers ago. It is also one of the biggest games i know of. Seriously, this game is massive. I started playing it late May when I first got it. I literally played it about an average of 6-8 hours a day and I didn't finish it until early September. Granted, I didn't start doing the main quest for about a month, lol. That's the beauty of the game though. You don't even have to do the main quest to have fun. I was perfectly content rising the ranks of the Mages Guild. Then I happened to find this old mission that I never did from the beginning of the game, and that's what propelled me into the main quest.

I love how the game is set up. Simply brilliant. Man, this makes me wanna play it again.

I got the Tribunal expansion pack and started the whole game over like mid July last year. I got about half way done and then school started and I was kinda forced into doing school stuff. But man, I think I might play it again this summer.

Happydude is right though, when you start it, don't stop playing it. Make sure to play it at least once a day. The game has so much stuff going on that you'll forget what the hell you were doing hte last time you played if you don't keep a steady pace of playing.

Canyarion
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
I love this game! :D

But I still don't really know how to train my magic skills... I mean, I bought a few spells (poison something, water walk...), but most of the times the spell fails.... :( So do I just have to keep trying? I also upgraded some magic skills in a guild.... so I hope I'll do better now.

I'm trying to find a place (for a mission) that's between 3 places that I haven't been to, so it's really a long walk... and no short-cut that I could come up with. :p

Happydude
02-16-2004, 05:43 PM
what about the flying things? they're a method of transport...forgot their name...or was it in another game.....oh well...

thatmariolover
02-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Deus Ex is one of the best game's i've played...it has only one flaw, no autosave.

so here's a word of advice: SAVE EVERY 2-5 MINUTES OR YOU'RE F*CKED! :p (use the quick-save button)

Haha. Indeed. But it's always good to make actual saves every level or so, because you might want to go back and do things differently next time.

Canyarion
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
what about the flying things? they're a method of transport...forgot their name...or was it in another game.....oh well...
Yeah they're... skiters :confused: something like that... but I kinda forgot about those :p

Anyway, what about the magic skills??

BigJustinW
02-17-2004, 01:37 AM
Silt Striders?

Anyway... I got the game about 6 months ago, thought it completly sucked until the last 2 months. I learned how to create an effective character, and now I can't play enough of it.

I have risen to Master thief in the thieves guild, and I'm working on getting power within the house Hlaalu. If you have any questions concerning any fundemental things (not acctual missions) feel free to ask.

This game has a lot of glitches, some harder to resist than others... so I have two files, I mentioned my non glitch file, and I have another file where I take advantage of all the glitches. It's fun at times, but it's like being god in that world.... and it can get very boring without direction.

My guy is a Wood Elf named Link :p... I'm around level 20.... and he's already a lock picking and pick pocketing master... sadly little forrest things like Nix Hounds can beat his ass. He's a decent marksman, but it's useless when somthing comes close range.

BigJustinW
02-17-2004, 02:01 AM
I love this game! :D

But I still don't really know how to train my magic skills... I mean, I bought a few spells (poison something, water walk...), but most of the times the spell fails.... :( So do I just have to keep trying? I also upgraded some magic skills in a guild.... so I hope I'll do better now.

I'm trying to find a place (for a mission) that's between 3 places that I haven't been to, so it's really a long walk... and no short-cut that I could come up with. :p

if your game came with a map, USE IT. Also, remember, Vivec is the center of transportation, that's the only place I know of that has access to a sitl strider, Boat, and a Mages guild (where a person can transport you)

As for training Magic... only concentrate on one school of Magic, and Enchanting. If you can enchant well, or have enough money to buy enchantment services, you are automatically a great mage :p

A way to make your magic more managable is to create your own spells too. Don't let the cast chance drop below 100 though, because that gives you the most out of your spells. to level up easy make sure you deal with blades trainers, if you MUST go elsewhere, go to one of the people within your guild. Also, bribe, bribe a lot, 100 gold to whoever will train you. Why? The money you will save will add up to well over 100 gold very fast if you get there disposition up to 100.the shops you go to a lot should be bribed too.

depending on what school of Magic you are rated best in you can take advantage of it and control situations better than you ever could with a weapon. Post what school you are best with then I can give tips.

Oh, and I think that you should quit your first file after 10 hours of play. Why? because you will make bad decisions, and you will grow to want certain abilities that your guy sucks at. You can start off on the right foot with recreation.

My first guy was a redguard who um, well, he killed over 50 guys and never realy got involved with a guild.

Yoda9864
02-17-2004, 02:38 AM
Yeah, you just have to keep trying your spells. Everytime you are successful, your xp rises. Like BigJustinW said, enchanting is really really good. An enchanted weapon certainly makes up for any weaknesses as a warrior.

Once you get some money, I think you'll find that you just buy most of your skills, lol. I maxed out every skill as far as my attributes allowed by buying them all.

I don't know how you're playing the game (a good law abing citizen or whatnot) , but there's no harm in killing a shopkeeper or two and stealing all of their wares.....just as long as nobody sees it, lol. Save anytime you do something of questionable nature (like killing a shopkeeper) cuz you never know if the gaurds will see it or something else happens.

Creating a new character is smart. Once you start playing with your first one you'll see more of what you really want to be as you do a couple of quests.

Myself? I started as a one of those lizards (forgot race names) and as a mage. I actually never looked back, I played the whole game with my first character. It actually was to my disadvantage later in the games being that race (Argorian was it?) cuz a lot of people don't associate with the beast races. Bastards, lol. But then I just bribed the hell out of them and then they would talk to me. Spent a lot of money just for that purpose.

If you're traveling the path of hte mage, I would suggest getting into Alchemy. It can save you some money if you create your own medicine stuff. Alchemy can be quite frustrating though, so be aware of htat.

I almost forgot about plug-ins. You should go to www.morrowind.com and download the plug-ins. They're basically little diversions from the main quest, but they can be quite fun.

Damnit, now I really want to start playing this game again.

Canyarion
02-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Hehe. :D I'm gonna see if there's a patch for the glitches, they can be annoying.

I'm a female wood-elf, rogue (the quiz pointed at it and I like it), starthingy 'lady'.
I started with the fight guild, did like 2 missions for them. I found a hammer worth 5000 :D, gotta sell it to someone with enough cash...

Since I got a budget version, I didn't get a map. :unsure: Perhaps I can print one. :)

TheGame
02-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Hehe. :D I'm gonna see if there's a patch for the glitches, they can be annoying.

LOL, well, they are not really glitches, they are ways of cheating the system. I doubt there is a patch for them. The reason it doesn't classify as a cheat and classifies as a glitch is the fact that it's an unintended result.

For example, you can make spells that fortify your attrubutes... perminently. Up to level 40,000! (with time ;-))

The maximum you can attain without cheating (and without using any spells) is 100 on each Attribute and skill. And the Maximum level you can get to is 77.

As for your Hammer, and anything else worth more than 1,500 gold, go to a guy named creeper in caldera. He's upstairs in one of the houses and he always gives you full value for anything you sell to him. (He's acctually a scamp, if you have seen one before, not a selectable race)

Null
02-17-2004, 01:27 PM
hey yoda. whats the picture of the star wars guy in your sig from? And do you plan on playing Star Wars Battlefront when it comes out? (star wars meets battlefield)

TheGame
02-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, you just have to keep trying your spells. Everytime you are successful, your xp rises. Like BigJustinW said, enchanting is really really good. An enchanted weapon certainly makes up for any weaknesses as a warrior.

Once you get some money, I think you'll find that you just buy most of your skills, lol. I maxed out every skill as far as my attributes allowed by buying them all.

lol, me too, Money is the only efficent way of leveling up. The best way to get money is to join one of the bad guilds like the Morag Tong or Thieves guild, they steal so much, and put you in situations where you can kill someone and take there whole life and home... and more important it's 100% legal. (if you get caught there are ways of paying less money and avoiding arrest too.

I don't know how you're playing the game (a good law abing citizen or whatnot) , but there's no harm in killing a shopkeeper or two and stealing all of their wares.....just as long as nobody sees it, lol. Save anytime you do something of questionable nature (like killing a shopkeeper) cuz you never know if the gaurds will see it or something else happens.

lol, you mean save BEFORE you do anything risky :D

I always try to test the limits of my guy's power.... I took out Sayda Neen (everybody outside) by jumping on to a roof :p Of course I didn't save it because my bounty was well over 5,000, which is kill on sight.

Myself? I started as a one of those lizards (forgot race names) and as a mage. I actually never looked back, I played the whole game with my first character. It actually was to my disadvantage later in the games being that race (Argorian was it?) cuz a lot of people don't associate with the beast races. Bastards, lol. But then I just bribed the hell out of them and then they would talk to me. Spent a lot of money just for that purpose.

lol, I started as a lizard too... but that didn't work out at all. He had no real offence and he would have been fit to be a white mage who can run fast and jump high. That didn't work with the single player adventure and all ;)

Then I learned how to use third person view and saw how ugly he is, and that was the end of it.

I almost forgot about plug-ins. You should go to www.morrowind.com and download the plug-ins. They're basically little diversions from the main quest, but they can be quite fun.

Damnit, now I really want to start playing this game again.

I have the Xbox version :(

Yoda9864
02-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Then I learned how to use third person view and saw how ugly he is, and that was the end of it.

Lol, that's harsh. I think if you're a mage you should have that speed. Plus I picked him because they are like immune to disease and poison I think.

The first time i played through Morrowind was with a GeForce 2 GTS-V :errr:. The water was so sh!tty, and I had to downplay all the rest of the graphics so it was playable. Then I got a Ti4200, Mmmmm. The way the water rippled when when it rained was so awesome. And I have to say that the sound effects were superb, especially the thunder.

Null - That's just one of the clone troopers from Episode 2. I'm not sure about Battlefront yet. I really like Battlefield, so I think I might try it out. If I have cable when it comes out, then I'll probably buy it, otherwise I might 'download' it if you catch my drift ;). Not sure when Battlefront is coming, but I should be getting cable in August, so we'll see.

TheGame
02-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I have the Xbox version and the Water effects are great... but that's about the only thing. The sound is nice, but all in all the graphics don't look polished at all. Looks like a true PC game ;)

Canyarion
02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
As for your Hammer, and anything else worth more than 1,500 gold, go to a guy named creeper in caldera. He's upstairs in one of the houses and he always gives you full value for anything you sell to him. (He's acctually a scamp, if you have seen one before, not a selectable race)
Yeah I found the creeper dude and sold him my hammer for all of his money. :D
Problem now is that he doesn't have any money left so I can't sell him anything yet. :D

I'm almost lvl3. I have now these weapons with me:
2-handed axe for major damage
1-handed axe for use with my shield
tower shield :D
enchanted short sword that I got for free
bow and arrows, just to train with them.

I know that's a bit much, cause I really can't carry much weight yet (170), but I'm using light and medium armor (both my major or minor skills).

I was on my way to the third mission of the fight guild, the Caldera Ebony Mines. But on my way there I found 3 people who needed my help and I agreed to help them :p. So now I'm a bit strayed...

Yoda9864
02-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I have the Xbox version and the Water effects are great... but that's about the only thing. The sound is nice, but all in all the graphics don't look polished at all. Looks like a true PC game ;)
Ouch, you're pushing your luck man, lol.

I'll accept what you said if you are talking solely about games ported to the PC. Games that are designed for PC take advantage of eveything they can and they look 10x better than any console game. Of course, that's if you have a higher end system...which at the current moment, I do :D.

Yoda9864
02-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I was on my way to the third mission of the fight guild, the Caldera Ebony Mines. But on my way there I found 3 people who needed my help and I agreed to help them :p. So now I'm a bit strayed...
Lol, that will happen quite a bit. all you have to do for any vendor to get their money back is rest for one day. Then Mr. Creeper will have all of his 5000 gold again.

EDIT: whoops, double post.

Null
02-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Ouch, you're pushing your luck man, lol.

I'll accept what you said if you are talking solely about games ported to the PC. Games that are designed for PC take advantage of eveything they can and they look 10x better than any console game. Of course, that's if you have a higher end system...which at the current moment, I do :D.

doesnt even need to be top of the line to look better then console games :P i have a 5 year old sys running a geforce 2 card that can still do better then console graphics.

i can only stand console graphics for the first couple years of the console. after that they usually start looking quite bad compared to pc

TheGame
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
lol, don't worry about the double post, as long as it was directed at two different people. :p

With Creeper just sleep on the floor of the manor he is in, nobody will turn you in or report you... sleep 24 hours and he'll have a full 5,000 waiting for you to take. ;)

Remember, he has the ONLY shop witht hat much cash, so it wouldn't be wise to steal from or kill him.

As for Yoda, PC Games as far as technology goes is better than console games, but PC games don't look outright better than console games from what I have seen. Port or non-port. Show me a PC game that looks better than Ninja Gaiden for Xbox in real time.... :p

For the most part PC games just lack that polish.

But I don't want to make this a PC debate, I just made those comments (including the ones in this post) to get on Null's nerves :D

Null
02-18-2004, 12:29 AM
lol, don't worry about the double post, as long as it was directed at two different people. :p

With Creeper just sleep on the floor of the manor he is in, nobody will turn you in or report you... sleep 24 hours and he'll have a full 5,000 waiting for you to take. ;)

Remember, he has the ONLY shop witht hat much cash, so it wouldn't be wise to steal from or kill him.

As for Yoda, PC Games as far as technology goes is better than console games, but PC games don't look outright better than console games from what I have seen. Port or non-port. Show me a PC game that looks better than Ninja Gaiden for Xbox in real time.... :p

For the most part PC games just lack that polish.

But I don't want to make this a PC debate, I just made those comments (including the ones in this post) to get on Null's nerves :D

nah. doesnt get on my nerves. cuz theres just no contest of which is better. its obvious. :)

thatmariolover
02-18-2004, 12:44 AM

You'll get the Xbox water on your PC as long as your graphics card has vertex/pixel shaders.

Canyarion
02-18-2004, 05:09 AM
HOW ON EARTH CAN I EAT????? :baby:
Whenever I drag some meat on my character, it says it doesn't have any effect. How can I eat stuff? :(

thatmariolover
02-18-2004, 07:17 AM
HOW ON EARTH CAN I EAT????? :baby:
Whenever I drag some meat on my character, it says it doesn't have any effect. How can I eat stuff? :(

As I recall there's no real need to eat, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Canyarion
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
You can restore fatigue with food. :unsure:

TheGame
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
you are better off using potions and ignoring all the food you have. Also, like thatmariolover said, there is no NEED to eat, but if you are on a long voyage you will need somthing to replenish your health and fatigue.

Oh, and don't forget to load up on Skooma before any real fight :D

Sometimes it helps though, Fortify's Strength and Endurance 20 points, and lowers agility and intelegence 20 points. In other words, it makes you more powerful for melee battle, and less powerful when using magic and easier to hit :p

As for Null, maybe we should make a thread posting console real time videos or pics vs PC ones, and we can see what looks better and more polished. ;)

Null
02-18-2004, 01:27 PM
As for Null, maybe we should make a thread posting console real time videos or pics vs PC ones, and we can see what looks better and more polished. ;)

why dont we just save the time and tell it how it is and say pc games look MUCH better.

:)

TheGame
02-18-2004, 01:36 PM
You mean why don't we lie to ourselves and say that? Ok ;)

Null
02-18-2004, 01:54 PM
You mean why don't we lie to ourselves and say that? Ok ;)

well you dont need to lie to yourself. just open your eyes and see the truth :)

in all honesty man, it just comes down to pc's are more powerful, plain and simple. they can show more, do better effects, cleaner sharper images, better frames, sharter textures. more detail.

i can understand how some can think consoles can look better, but consoles cut corners to make it appear to look that good. which yes is fine if you cant notice. but its still there, then ontop of that unless you got a hdtv, pc's display further improve them.

i mean no matter what console game you would post. i would just refer back to doom 3 and or half life 2 to what looks better

i dont find ninja giaden to look all that great, characters look a little stiff, things look plasticish and less realistic, textures look too smooth (kinda that plasticish look) and dont really look like 3d textures.

doom3 also has that plasticish look on some of it. but the monsters look really quite textured in it.

i personally like the look of half life 2, which screenshots dont even begin to describe unless you've seen one of the hi res movies which is absolutly jaw droping when it comes up to the big monster guy,
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen0/914642_20030911_screen001.jpg
who looks 10 times better then that when you see him in motion, the shiny shell skin reflects images all around him, possibly the best looking part i've ever seen in any video game.

things you just can see from a screenshot.

TheGame
02-18-2004, 02:23 PM
the shot makes the game look... well, I don't know how to describe it... choppy maybe?

I know for a fact PC is more powerful, but it never seems like developers are taking advantage of that fact. In general I think console games look better than PC games regardless of the power differences. That's why I said Morrowind looks like a PC game, because it has that 'incomplete' look to it :p

Even the high end games have that unpolished look to them, though if you have a ton of money to blow on a nice video card you can make some exceptions to that (though still very few)

Null
02-18-2004, 02:32 PM
the shot makes the game look... well, I don't know how to describe it... choppy maybe?

I know for a fact PC is more powerful, but it never seems like developers are taking advantage of that fact. In general I think console games look better than PC games regardless of the power differences. That's why I said Morrowind looks like a PC game, because it has that 'incomplete' look to it :p

Even the high end games have that unpolished look to them, though if you have a ton of money to blow on a nice video card you can make some exceptions to that (though still very few)

which is why i said that screenshot cant even begin to describe it when you see it in motion. i find it actually quite hard to find screenshots that look like how they look when you acutally play them.

and morrowind is an all around kinda ugly game anyway. but even playing older games quake 3 or not that older games like UT 2003, look more polished and better looking then most console games to me. not to mention ut2004 looks much more polished and better then console games. then getting up to doom3 and hl2 just blow them away.
but im saying this after seeing them in motion. not the screenshots. i dont like screenshots for anything really.

Canyarion
02-18-2004, 05:27 PM
:hmm: Guys... make your own thread...

Null
02-18-2004, 05:55 PM
:hmm: Guys... make your own thread...

oh yea? well my thread would have better graphics then your thread

Canyarion
02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
... I don't care. http://www.thefellowship.nl/forum/images/smilies/1036945666_0.gif
BTW I'm playing it on PC, just to let you know. ;)

Oh yeah, another question... I know my video card can do MUCH better! :(
I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8x (128MB). (damn, and I always thought I had 256MB video mem...)
I'm running the game on 1024x, but it's often kinda... shocky. Got any tips? I've already turned low some graphics effects like shadows.

Null
02-18-2004, 06:07 PM
... I don't care. http://www.thefellowship.nl/forum/images/smilies/1036945666_0.gif
BTW I'm playing it on PC, just to let you know. ;)

Oh yeah, another question... I know my video card can do MUCH better! :(
I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8x (128MB). (damn, and I always thought I had 256MB video mem...)
I'm running the game on 1024x, but it's often kinda... shocky. Got any tips? I've already turned low some graphics effects like shadows.

whats your cpu?

Canyarion
02-18-2004, 06:09 PM
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
clockspeed: 2,00 GHz :confused:
512 MB RAM-memory

TheGame
02-19-2004, 01:47 PM
which is why i said that screenshot cant even begin to describe it when you see it in motion. i find it actually quite hard to find screenshots that look like how they look when you acutally play them.

and morrowind is an all around kinda ugly game anyway. but even playing older games quake 3 or not that older games like UT 2003, look more polished and better looking then most console games to me. not to mention ut2004 looks much more polished and better then console games. then getting up to doom3 and hl2 just blow them away.
but im saying this after seeing them in motion. not the screenshots. i dont like screenshots for anything really.

all four of them FPSs too... and like I said before, there are very few exceptions to the PC "ugly" look of games. For example, what is PC's belt looking sports game? Or best looking adventure game, or even best looking RPG? Best looking Fighting game? Best looking Racing game?

Not to mention PC games have an overall lower quality of development involved, thus the reason so many of them have a ton of bugs when they are first released. The variety is worse, the price is higher, and the game quality is lower than console games.... to me it's no contest.

Null
02-19-2004, 02:17 PM
all four of them FPSs too... and like I said before, there are very few exceptions to the PC "ugly" look of games. For example, what is PC's belt looking sports game? Or best looking adventure game, or even best looking RPG? Best looking Fighting game? Best looking Racing game?

Not to mention PC games have an overall lower quality of development involved, thus the reason so many of them have a ton of bugs when they are first released. The variety is worse, the price is higher, and the game quality is lower than console games.... to me it's no contest.

LoL. leave it to game to always dig up old aruments after they're done and moved on. ;)

as for the examples and why they're FPS's, this argument isnt worth going around and digging up pictures to waste my time. sorry. im only talking about the examples i've known and seen. Sports games however, everyone of them i seen so far looks better on PC. at least the EA ones. they're all made basically the same so they all have the same general look. PC's are much sharper and clearer tho, like Madden, and NHL games are the ones i've seen.
Adventure games i dont really play, so dont really know. i did however play both versions of Beyond good and Evil, which looked much clearer on PC. And I dont play RPG's or Fighting games unless i can play em online, As for racing all i will play is GT series. Yes, you do get more variaty on Console, which is why i have a console. But its not something i need cuz my fav games are the online ones. And we were talking about graphics, not variaty and other stuff, but ok, we can still go with it as you try and change the subject, hehe :)

PC game prices are lower, better check yourself on that. the 'default' if you will price of PC games is 39, while 'majority' of consoles are still 49. altho that is changing, but even so. next month Unreal Tournament 2004 comes out. for the CD version, 19.99 for PC. brand new. (DVD SE version is 39) but its the same game.

And there are more bugs when pc games come out. SOMETIMES. often they'll release beta versions for that reason. but whats better about that is they constantly get fixed. once a Console game come out and has a bug. right now its stuck with it. IMO, id rather get the many updates to imprive the game as well as its life. and from what i've seen Consoles get just as many bugs as PC games. PC's dont ship with tons of bugs, they usually iron that out in the beta's and demo versions before it comes out.

TheGame
02-19-2004, 03:02 PM
LoL. leave it to game to always dig up old aruments after they're done and moved on. ;)

You damn right, but it's just so fun ;)

as for the examples and why they're FPS's, this argument isnt worth going around and digging up pictures to waste my time. sorry. im only talking about the examples i've known and seen.

Understandable

Sports games however, everyone of them i seen so far looks better on PC. at least the EA ones. they're all made basically the same so they all have the same general look. PC's are much sharper and clearer tho, like Madden, and NHL games are the ones i've seen.

I have played Madden on PC, and am going off of screenshots of other EA games... from what I have seen the games looks far behind the console versions. The only reason they seem to look even comparible is the fact that a computer monitor is the clearest picture you are gonna get next to those new Plasma TVs or a Tube HDTV.

And we were talking about graphics, not variaty and other stuff, but ok, we can still go with it as you try and change the subject, hehe :)

Well, game quality and graphics go and in hand... but if you prefer to stick to graphics we can. Just ignore most of my post next time :p

PC game prices are lower, better check yourself on that. the 'default' if you will price of PC games is 39, while 'majority' of consoles are still 49. altho that is changing, but even so. next month Unreal Tournament 2004 comes out. for the CD version, 19.99 for PC. brand new. (DVD SE version is 39) but its the same game.

I'm not refering to only the game price, I'm refering to the overall price and accessability. (excluding the monitor and in some cases the PC) Overall, even if you are an owner of a decent PC. How much are you gonna spend to get a Copy of Halo that looks better and runs smoother than the Xbox version (even when linked to the same TV)? Is the $100 card really gonna do it flawlessly?

Can the PC version of GTA ever look at good as the Xbox version? You could patch that one up to death and I couldn't see it matching up to Xbox's version in terms of graphics (as for game quality, like you said, that's a whole different issue :p)

And there are more bugs when pc games come out. SOMETIMES. often they'll release beta versions for that reason. but whats better about that is they constantly get fixed. once a Console game come out and has a bug. right now its stuck with it. IMO, id rather get the many updates to imprive the game as well as its life. and from what i've seen Consoles get just as many bugs as PC games. PC's dont ship with tons of bugs, they usually iron that out in the beta's and demo versions before it comes out.

I think allowing for patches encourages developers to release the game without it being fully tested. In morrowind's case, the developers just didn't give a damn about the glitches and left them all in as ways to cheat.

But anyway, this is why I said we should make a sepertate topic... it would just be me and you, but eh :p

Null
02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
I have played Madden on PC, and am going off of screenshots of other EA games... from what I have seen the games looks far behind the console versions. The only reason they seem to look even comparible is the fact that a computer monitor is the clearest picture you are gonna get next to those new Plasma TVs or a Tube HDTV.

thats the thing you gotta understand about PC games. there is no set graphics for how things look. but i downloaded the demo of madden and its part the monitor that makes it clearer, then part resolution. also the settings factor. i had everything turned up. and then theres extra options outside the game. like your graphics card AA, to be turned on and all that. I dont go by screenshots, because almost every game i play looks far better on the screen then it does a screenshot.

I'm not refering to only the game price, I'm refering to the overall price and accessability. (excluding the monitor and in some cases the PC) Overall, even if you are an owner of a decent PC. How much are you gonna spend to get a Copy of Halo that looks better and runs smoother than the Xbox version (even when linked to the same TV)? Is the $100 card really gonna do it flawlessly?

yes at first. but my more expensive PC is going to last a whole lot longer and be able to play new games years year longer then any console will.

And man. ya shouldnt get into the halo topic. you'd have to pay me to play that piece of trash now. thats 100% a console game. PC player hate it. so even tho it does look better. i woudlnt pay a dime.

Can the PC version of GTA ever look at good as the Xbox version? You could patch that one up to death and I couldn't see it matching up to Xbox's version in terms of graphics (as for game quality, like you said, that's a whole different issue :p)
graphics themselves in that game i already do believe are better on PC. i find they're still clearer and smoother.

difference is however the Xbox version was made after the PC version and they added the new things and new details. so ya all in all that game looks better on Xbox. But then again thats like taking and old game on PC and updating it and remaking it on xbox and saying how the xbox has better graphics. not best example when talking about that sort of thing yanno what im saying? should keep it to games that came out at same time.

I think allowing for patches encourages developers to release the game without it being fully tested.

Most console fans do think of it like that. its actually not the case, expecially with the big name games that the developers let the actuall people test heavily before relasing it.

In morrowind's case, the developers just didn't give a damn about the glitches and left them all in as ways to cheat.
dunno the game. but cheating there will never be a stop to. at least not in the near future. console online games are starting to find that out too. expecially when consoles get into the hard drives. there will be even more cheating. and im betting there will be a period or console generation where cheating is much more heavily on consoles then PC untill the consoles start catching up with the cheap protection idea's

But anyway, this is why I said we should make a sepertate topic... it would just be me and you, but eh :p
when did you say that? thought someone else did :p

TheGame
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM

said it yesterday :D

thats the thing you gotta understand about PC games. there is no set graphics for how things look. but i downloaded the demo of madden and its part the monitor that makes it clearer, then part resolution. also the settings factor. i had everything turned up. and then theres extra options outside the game. like your graphics card AA, to be turned on and all that. I dont go by screenshots, because almost every game i play looks far better on the screen then it does a screenshot.

You could say the same thing about console games... that's why there are always high res videos out there. Unless you feel the videos make the game look worse too.

yes at first. but my more expensive PC is going to last a whole lot longer and be able to play new games years year longer then any console will.

So a PC that could run the best looking PC game in 2000 at it's highest level is running any and every PC game out today in it's full glory? Or is the value being held back to what a High end game was in 2000? (which isn't bad, but is still held back :p)

graphics themselves in that game i already do believe are better on PC. i find they're still clearer and smoother.

difference is however the Xbox version was made after the PC version and they added the new things and new details. so ya all in all that game looks better on Xbox. But then again thats like taking and old game on PC and updating it and remaking it on xbox and saying how the xbox has better graphics. not best example when talking about that sort of thing yanno what im saying? should keep it to games that came out at same time.

I dunno, I always considerd within 6 months to be around the same time... unless they were developing up to the very last second on the Xbox version and serverely slacking off on the PC version. I can't go by my own experience here, but people over at GameFaqs say that when you play GTA:DP on a high resolution screen, everything about it looks better than the PC version. I think it supports 480p, but I'm not sure.

dunno the game. but cheating there will never be a stop to. at least not in the near future.

It's not cheating when it's glitch exploiting ;)

When someone plays a game a way that the developers didn't intend them to, it's considerd "cheap strategy" :D

Null
02-19-2004, 05:18 PM
You could say the same thing about console games... that's why there are always high res videos out there. Unless you feel the videos make the game look worse too.

see, you already are off on what im talking about. its something that unless your a very pc gamer, is a very differnt idea. its nothing like consoles in that reguard.

So a PC that could run the best looking PC game in 2000 at it's highest level is running any and every PC game out today in it's full glory? Or is the value being held back to what a High end game was in 2000? (which isn't bad, but is still held back :p)
not too far off actually.

I dunno, I always considerd within 6 months to be around the same time... unless they were developing up to the very last second on the Xbox version and serverely slacking off on the PC version. I can't go by my own experience here, but people over at GameFaqs say that when you play GTA:DP on a high resolution screen, everything about it looks better than the PC version. I think it supports 480p, but I'm not sure.
pc version was more of a direct port, the graphical inhancments mostly came from just the more power of the pc, and it was in development much longer before 6months. they didnt really change anything untill the xbox version. and 6 months is quite a long time to add things in.

But thats a born Console game anyway. and an ugly one all around. the fun is what that ones all about never was about graphics.
from what i've read. might have changed. GTA4 will be more directly made for PC in its version.

It's not cheating when it's glitch exploiting ;)

When someone plays a game a way that the developers didn't intend them to, it's considerd "cheap strategy" :D

i cant read your mind. you said chating. not exploiting.
And Console games have that too, problem is, with it on console your screwed. it cant have anything done to it really and player will just have to deal with it for the most part.

PC could very well have a 1 second download patch, or in some cases the game downloads it on its own and you dont even know untill you see the problem is gone.
i greatly prefer that. And many of the times while they're adding patches to fix bugs. they may thro in an entirly new feature. :)

and damnit man. im going on vaction next week. hurry up and end this. :D or else um we'll make a thread and i'll lock it till i get back. :lol: :p

BigJustinW
02-20-2004, 02:02 PM
see, you already are off on what im talking about. its something that unless your a very pc gamer, is a very differnt idea. its nothing like consoles in that reguard.

I'm off what you are talking about? I was repling to the reason why you don't go off of screenshots by saying the same could be said for console games. In other words, screenshots can downgrade the quality of picture you are going to get in the acctual game. It could just be bad capturing, or it could be the screenshot isn't representing what you will acctually get depending on your TV or the wires that you may use to connect to your TV.

So set graphics or not, you can question the quality of a screenshot. Clear that up?

from what i've read. might have changed. GTA4 will be more directly made for PC in its version.

We can see about that then.... and 6 months is enough time to add more things, but that didn't seem to have as big of an effect on other games released within 6 months of each-other. This is where the problem of comparing graphics comes in, we could always use the excuse that the game makers were slacking off on the version of the game we are trynig to defend.

Then, on top of that PC only realy has one genre that has great graphics, and it happens to be one of the most held back genres in the console industry. It's sad when the top three console FPSs consist of two games from last generation and one game that was rushed to be released at launch time.

And when a game is "close" to even you will always base it off of how "clear" the game is... I don't want to go into the monitor discussion again, and how clear a game looks doesn't mean it has better graphics. It reminds me of NFL 2k1 vs Madden 2001... andbody basing the comparision off of screens or how clear the game is and how well textured it is would say NFL 2k1 looked better, but when you play both Madden looked much closer to reality.

I have come to the conclusion that this topic has become pointless... once again I hand you the last word, and you can go on your vacation in peace :p

(as for the rest of your post, while not as widely used, Xbox is capible of downloading new content into games too)

Null
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
oh screw it. lol. you plan works. you wait so damn long to reply each time that the heat of a nice argument is gone and i forget what the hell the point of all this was. (too damn lazy to read back :p )

but as for your last sencence that i can easy see while typing this :D thats why i said consoles dont YET, because they're starting too. and they'll get there eventually. as they turn more and more into computers. :D :p

Canyarion
04-13-2004, 06:31 AM
Hehe, I LOVE this game. Just great.
I finished the 4th and 5th vision.

My axe, light armor, acrobacy, short blade are on lvl 100. I'm training my hand-to-hand, long blade, medium armor, heavy armor and some more things now. I'm lvl 46 or something. :D

Yoda9864
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Lol, good old acrobrat skills. You can jump so high. I just started playing this game again with the Tribunal expansion. I'm a Nord fighter. I've almost got a full suit of ebony heavy armor, booya! It costs so much to have made.

Canyarion
04-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Ehm... can you like get things MADE? :eek: How? Like you buy some raw ebony, go to some guy and he makes an armor piece of it??

I met Vivec BTW. Strange guy. :sneaky:

TheGame
04-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Ehm... can you like get things MADE? :eek: How? Like you buy some raw ebony, go to some guy and he makes an armor piece of it??

Nah... I don't think so at least. The Ebony is used for certain missions, that's all. I became the leader of the Theives guild, and was flying up the ranks in House Hlaalu when I stopped. Never got to the real missions because of confusion in the first one.

I met Vivec BTW. Strange guy. :sneaky:

I named my FFXI guy after him, a lot of Morrowind fans praise me for it. :p

Happydude
04-13-2004, 01:10 PM
with the tribunal expansion, you can get to mournhold, capital of morrowind. there is an armor smith there that can make armors for you. he makes ebony, glass, adamantium or something like that...and i think thats it...i cant remember

Yoda9864
04-13-2004, 10:57 PM
with the tribunal expansion, you can get to mournhold, capital of morrowind. there is an armor smith there that can make armors for you. he makes ebony, glass, adamantium or something like that...and i think thats it...i cant remember
Yeah, sorry to excite you :). Like happydude said, it's in the Tribunal expansion.

But anyway, it's more like: go into a mine, slaughter the people inside take all the ebony and pay the armorsmith to make it for you. :D

Canyarion
04-14-2004, 05:24 AM
Hm sounds nice....

I've heard that the Bloodmoon expansion is much better?

Yoda9864
04-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah, haven't played the Bloodmoon expansion yet. I think I'm content with tribunal for now.

Happydude
04-15-2004, 01:36 AM
i started bloodmoon...its freakin confusing...so i stopped playnig it for now :p...maybe ill continue in the future...im not getting rid of it anytime soon

thatmariolover
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
What are your favorite item enchantments you've done? I had made a ring of constant levitation when I used to play. That was probably my favorite.

Happydude
04-15-2004, 09:53 AM
i want to make something with constant levi...but the seed of it would be too slow because it takes up so much points.

i also wanted to make Fortify attribute constant effect something...but those take up alot too...so i didnt do anything *shrug*

TheGame
04-15-2004, 11:20 AM
I have a whole armor set of enchanted things... these are all the abilities I know of (all constant effect):

-Water Walking
-Bound Longsword
-Bound Longbow
-Bound Boots
-Bound Cuirass
-Bound Helm
-Water Breathing
-%10 Night eye (or somthing like that... forget the name, makes the game brighter)

I have other enhancements too... I have a robe that I wear over my body than enhances more battle related stats. I can't name them all because I haven't played in about a month.

Canyarion
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I made a ring (the exquisite items are the best) with fortify strength 24 points.

Make sure you find/buy the exquisite rings/robes/...
Some Daedric weapons also enable for a lot of enchantment points. :) good luck.