PDA

View Full Version : Yamauchi is on drugs

Jason1
02-13-2004, 09:12 PM
This is a little snippet taken from http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492253p1.html

"The former NCL president dismissed the quick arrival of a next-generation console. "Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas. We will rather make a new proposal that uses the GameCube at its core," he said. "Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies." Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business. "

What I dont get is why do the japanese say they dont intend on releasing a next generation system, when NOA just released that statement that they will be releasing a new system at the same time as teh competitors. Makes no sense.

Dark Samurai
02-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I read this earlier and im 50/50 with his statement

i agree that if the DS indeed fails that it might be the end for Nintendo

but, i disagree with what he said about the cutting-edge technology bit,

most of the North American audience loves graphics and all that, and some prefer gameplay, when i'd rather have some of both but thats another story, so i think that Nintendo should up that particular department just a little for sake of business.

Jonbo298
02-13-2004, 11:22 PM
The Japanese are just more messed up then ever. Why doesn't NOA become the head area for Nintendo and not NOJ? Maybe then Nintendo will stop thinking that there is no such thing as competition.

GameKinG
02-14-2004, 12:18 AM
I agree, NOA is much better than NOJ and could handle modern times with better ideas and theories. Its to bad the two companies switching power control is never going to happen. George Harrison at NOA has the best ideas for Nintendo. He knows everything Nintendo needs, but he likely wont get much listening to from the higher ups.

BigJustinW
02-14-2004, 02:01 AM
I don't understand what he is trying top say... the first part sounds like "we are only worried about GCN now" which is understandable. But the second part sounds like he is saying that people no longer care about cutting edge technology!?!?!

I think we are a few generations away from a time like that, and Gamecube wouldn't be a good example of a end-all advancement console.

But how it's written it just sounds wierd.

As for the posts in this thread... I think if NOA running Nintendo probably wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it would help either.

Crash
02-14-2004, 02:27 AM
what does yamauchi have to do with nintendo anymore, he retired no?

BigJustinW
02-14-2004, 02:36 AM
Yep, but the part that makes in relevant is:

"Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business."

:unsure:

he must have a huge influence on his replacement(s)... which isn't good.

Dark Samurai
02-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Im thinking that maybe, just maybe, they translated his statement wrong, i mean, look at what Justin said,

But how it's written it just sounds wierd

I completly agree with that,

and with that IGN's fanbase goes down......

Jason1
02-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Not sure if anyone checks out IGNCube, but theres also an interview with Satoru Iwata, the current President. He basically kinda says the same stuff, critizing online play, blah blah blah. Check it out if you like. http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492280p1.html

Not sure what they rest of you are thinking, but to me it seems like Nintendo just dug their own grave a little further, like theyve been doing the past few years.

Perfect Stu
02-14-2004, 03:05 PM
criticizing online play? dear god...if Nintendo doesn't go online with its next console, they can say goodbye to Electronic Arts.

Jason1
02-14-2004, 03:53 PM
criticizing online play? dear god...if Nintendo doesn't go online with its next console, they can say goodbye to Electronic Arts.

Which wouldnt really bother me. But they are the biggest 3rd party so it would really hurt the console.

Perfect Stu
02-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Which wouldnt really bother me.

see there's a huge problem...most GameCube owners only care about Nintendo games for the most part. Which is WHY I think Ninty should go software-only...maybe continue with the GameBoy, depends on how the PSP does.

And no EA support helped kill the Dreamcast. EA is a powerful beast...you're right when you say it would really affect the console.

BigJustinW
02-14-2004, 06:25 PM
lol...EA leaving GCN wouldn't bother me either, but I'm sure I have different reasons than Jason ;)

I wouldn't be shocked if Next gen is Nintendo's last in the console game, then I see death. in a way, I hope PSP smashes the hell out of the Nintendo handheld in the future, because GBA is the only reason Nintendo is still so cocky in there marketing strategies....

Jonbo298
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
NOJ just needs to hand power over to NOA next gen. At least NOA is a little more thinking about the competition and what the consumer wants. But meh, with everyone thinking Ninty is dead, I guess when the day will happen, NOJ will look back and wish they at least gave NOA a chance to straighten things out. Then after that day happens, I will go old school only because the future of gaming will be too mainstream and waaaaaay too much emphasis on graphics.

D-realJos
02-15-2004, 12:00 AM
It's so easy to misinterpret this man.

Null
02-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Iwata continued to criticize the online business model. "Many people believe that online games are the next big thing. But I wonder how much revenues Microsoft and Sony have made from online games," he said and added, "I don't think the current online games have adopted the right business model, and people will not pay money for them."

What a ****in tard.

1. online games already are the big thing, and have been for YEARS AND YEARS now on PC.

2. ppl dont have to pay for them!!! most are FREE!

3. Nintendo fails to see that Mario kart with the word 'online' after it, woulda sold a WHOLE lot more then just Mario Kart. it doesnt matter if they pay for the online or not, that one word makes them a whole bunch more in sales. Nintendo is blind.

Playing ppl in games is what makes it fun. online means you always have someone to play. You got a freakin dinosour leading Nintendo to its extinction.

people like online games. Nintendo wont give ppl what they want.

weeee look at me, im nintendo, i can make profits by cutting out the very things everybody wants! then i can give them the most stupid dumb ass things ever like connectivity with gameboy and tell them thats what they want! yay!

http://www.gametavern.net/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif Down with Nintendo. i really hope they become software only. they're hopless

Jonbo298
02-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Mario Kart Online is so much fun!:D

BigJustinW
02-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Null Nailed it on the head.

Nintendo isn't calcuating online play into game popularity... they are just looking at it as: 'If that game sold the same amount of copies, and it wasn't online, it would have had more profit'

Which is true, but is a stupid way of looking at it. In some games Online play is a key feature, and is the only reason a game sales in the first place, like SOCOM. Do you think SOCOM would have made a bigger profit without online play?

Jason1
02-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I dont want Nintendo to become software only. I love their systems and controllers. Hell, it sure did a lot of good for SEGA. You get what im saying? Whos to say nintendo wont suffer the same fate.

thatmariolover
02-15-2004, 10:04 PM
They'll never be Software only, or so they say. When they leave the hardware business, they leave the gaming business for good.

Jason1
02-15-2004, 10:09 PM
They'll never be Software only, or so they say. When they leave the hardware business, they leave the gaming business for good.

Yea thats all fine and dandy but if they keep going the way their going they wont keep making profits, and when you dont make profits bad things start to happen. Ive always tried to stick by nintendo through all the bad decisions because their games are STILL that damn good. But im pretty pissed now. These latest comments just plain make me sick. Lets hope like hell they have a next generation console in the works and plan to stay competitive, and dont do something stupid with it or worse yet not release one at all. This whole stick with the gamecube garbage is a load of bull. When sony and MS release next gen consoles, nintendo had better be right there doing the same. Which they have said they will be in the past, which is why these latest comments boggle me.

Null
02-15-2004, 10:20 PM

they say it to keep thier fan base intact.

if thier consoles stop sellling i garentee you they will go software only. theres no way they would say, 'oh well, lets just not make any money anymore and shut down' or 'hey, our consoles arent selling, lets sell a nintendo brand of potted plants now'

they will do what they need to do to make money. only way they'll leave the whole gaming business is if they go bankrupt.

Jason1
02-15-2004, 10:34 PM
theres no way they would say, 'oh well, lets just not make any money anymore and shut down' or 'hey, our consoles arent selling, lets sell a nintendo brand of potted plants now'

Hey now, lets not give them any Ideas. ;)

But they dont seem to listen to their fans anyhow. But then again, when did we ever know what we wanted? 2 screens you say nintendo? Count me in!

Jonbo298
02-15-2004, 10:42 PM
No, it will be Nintendo branded waffle irons!

Null
02-15-2004, 11:13 PM
No, it will be Nintendo branded waffle irons!

i stand corrected. :p

NEW! dont make waffles the old borring way! with that boring old grid of squres, who wants that? ick, no way!

Thats why we're offering you the all new, NINTENDO WAFFLE MAKER!!! thats right folks, gone are the days with a grid of squares, now your waffles have imprints of Mario! Luigi! Link! all your old favote nintendo characters that arent in games anymore!!!

Reminence in the days of Mario games, as you pour syrup on him, and eat him for breakfast!!

Dont Feel like Mario? Try donkey kong! or Pikmin! these stainless steel waffle plates are interchangeable so you can choose the character you want on your waffle!!

How much would you pay for such a waffle maker? 200? no! 100, no! just 3 easy payments of 19.95 !!!! Sound like too much? well make that 2 easy payments of 19.95 !!!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! and we'll thro in 5, yes count them, 5 extra character plates, THATS 6 TOTAL!!!

still need more encouragment?? well we'll thro in the new wire for CONNECTIVITY WITH YOUR MICROWAVE!!!! Thats right folks! your waffle maker will connect with your microwave! for what purpose? WE HAVE NO FREAKIN IDEA! but its your absolutly free!! So order now!!!

our operator is waiting to answer a call!

[EDIT] yanno, funny thing... after reading that, it doesnt actually sound like a half bad idea. lol, hell. i might order one. :p

Jonbo298
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Damnit, I want to eat my Pikmin and Mario for breakfast lunch and dinner:baby:

Danchastu 4.0
02-16-2004, 08:49 AM
With these statements I wouldn't be surprized if every single third party developer still signed on with Nintendo just up and left now.

It's like that guy on Seinfeld who went crazy and tried to fix George's car anyway, and it caught on fire in the end. Exactly like that. Exactly.

Jason1
02-17-2004, 11:06 PM
I was reading through some of the readers letters about the 2 interviews, and one caught my eye. Its the first letter on page 3 here. http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492393p3.html

It basically just wonders whats up with all the double talk. Nintendo was reported to be not releasing a next gen console, they then like a day later flat out denied that claim(as most you you know) And also they were qouted saying somewhere that theyd be happy if a small group of gamers accepd the DS. Now they say if the DS fails it will crush them. Makes you wonder.

Who do we believe? Nintendo or Nintendo?

Jonbo298
02-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Now that I think about it, Ninty is giving double talk. Damnit, now I will always keep saying transfer power to NOA because NOJ has just plain lost their minds. I think this is the first time I've ever been really pissed at Nintendo for what they are doing/saying.

TheGame
02-18-2004, 01:04 PM
They are starting to sound a lot like Sega ;)

Cyrax9
03-11-2004, 04:50 AM
You want my take on this? Here it is anyway:

1. DS vs. PSP vs. GBA SP: Ok this one's obvious, the DS becomes the "PSP Killer" while the PSP is the "GBA Killer" and the end result is a mix of the pocketstation and the VirtuaBoy. DS make sit out in Japan only against the PSP but is canned due to lack of support and pathetic design, VB all over again. PSP hits US SHelevs just long enough to make Nintendo snap into order, PSP sales decline after first defect, NIntendo beefs up the enxt GBA with some ideas leabnred from the DS, PSP is axed GB II replaces it, SOny goes abck to the drawning board prooving the GBA is nstopple even by a behmoth console or a mouse-sized system.

2. PS3 Vs. N5 vs. PSX:

PSX pulls a Sega DC/N64/VirtualBoy idea and tanks hurting Sony, this is obvious it's going to be the Sony equivelnt of the 32x and Saturn Reease, too cokcy and a 3rd system, go study which system killsit's alays #3 Sony loses money which birngs us too: N5 vs. PS3, now scrabling for money the playing field is leveled, Yamauchi finally LEAVES Nitend enitrely due to the fact that he's ben asked "When are you going to die?" one too many times or just egts tired of it, and his hatemail. SOny tried to rework the PS3 but the damage from the PSX is already done, Iwata decides to do some research while SOny is scrambling soups up the N5, throws in FULL GCN COMPATIBILITY and a built-in GB PLayer for the GBA II and the N5 launches before the PS3 on the same day fo the Xbox II. N5 starts ut with the advantage and we go from there.

Why will this NOT kill Nintendo? Because SOny's makng EQUALLY STUPID Mistakes! The PSX is the first, the PS3 is still a few years off for cell chips, and the PSP and DS are both going to go the way of the N-Gage, in the end the "3rd system cuse" will bite sony in the rear, and NIntendo will either rise to the top again, or become #2 worldwide chasng Microsoft, SOny will either drop consoles or hit third place from cokiness just like Sega and NIntendo did.

All in all I'd say Yamuchi is full of sh*t and is pawning Iwata to do his biding, likewise I'd say that with the way that was worded it could mean that the system is bkwards compatible and uses GCN ideas and builds around them, instead of ebing a TRUE Next-Gen system with bells and whstles it's just a very souped up GCN that really IS a next-gen system but doens't know it!

Sony and Nintendo are shootng their own feet they'll kill themsleves before they kill each toehr, the PSP loks good on paper, btu so did the N-0Gage the PSX looks like the 32X all voer again and if NIntendois waitng they might as well call there new system DREAMCAST or beter yet, DREAMPAST! Since ther comapnynwill eba thing 0ofthe past, between two idiot companies making boneheaded mvoes I don't knwo WHAT to bank on in the enxt consoe war, saldy I think the system amde of nuclear waste might be the oen that comes out on top! Yeah you knwo who Im tlakig abut, they're #2 ansd everybody hates 'em.

GT News
03-11-2004, 04:50 AM
You want my take on this? Here it is anyway:

1. DS vs. PSP vs. GBA SP: Ok this one's obvious, the DS becomes the "PSP Killer" while the PSP is the "GBA Killer" and the end result is a mix of the pocketstation and the VirtuaBoy. DS make sit out in Japan only against the PSP but is canned due to lack of support and pathetic design, VB all over again. PSP hits US SHelevs just long enough to make Nintendo snap into order, PSP sales decline after first defect, NIntendo beefs up the enxt GBA with some ideas leabnred from the DS, PSP is axed GB II replaces it, SOny goes abck to the drawning board prooving the GBA is nstopple even by a behmoth console or a mouse-sized system.

2. PS3 Vs. N5 vs. PSX:

PSX pulls a Sega DC/N64/VirtualBoy idea and tanks hurting Sony, this is obvious it's going to be the Sony equivelnt of the 32x and Saturn Reease, too cokcy and a 3rd system, go study which system killsit's alays #3 Sony loses money which birngs us too: N5 vs. PS3, now scrabling for money the playing field is leveled, Yamauchi finally LEAVES Nitend enitrely due to the fact that he's ben asked "When are you going to die?" one too many times or just egts tired of it, and his hatemail. SOny tried to rework the PS3 but the damage from the PSX is already done, Iwata decides to do some research while SOny is scrambling soups up the N5, throws in FULL GCN COMPATIBILITY and a built-in GB PLayer for the GBA II and the N5 launches before the PS3 on the same day fo the Xbox II. N5 starts ut with the advantage and we go from there.

Why will this NOT kill Nintendo? Because SOny's makng EQUALLY STUPID Mistakes! The PSX is the first, the PS3 is still a few years off for cell chips, and the PSP and DS are both going to go the way of the N-Gage, in the end the "3rd system cuse" will bite sony in the rear, and NIntendo will either rise to the top again, or become #2 worldwide chasng Microsoft, SOny will either drop consoles or hit third place from cokiness just like Sega and NIntendo did.

All in all I'd say Yamuchi is full of sh*t and is pawning Iwata to do his biding, likewise I'd say that with the way that was worded it could mean that the system is bkwards compatible and uses GCN ideas and builds around them, instead of ebing a TRUE Next-Gen system with bells and whstles it's just a very souped up GCN that really IS a next-gen system but doens't know it!

Sony and Nintendo are shootng their own feet they'll kill themsleves before they kill each toehr, the PSP loks good on paper, btu so did the N-0Gage the PSX looks like the 32X all voer again and if NIntendois waitng they might as well call there new system DREAMCAST or beter yet, DREAMPAST! Since ther comapnynwill eba thing 0ofthe past, between two idiot companies making boneheaded mvoes I don't knwo WHAT to bank on in the enxt consoe war, saldy I think the system amde of nuclear waste might be the oen that comes out on top! Yeah you knwo who Im tlakig abut, they're #2 ansd everybody hates 'em.

Do not presume that you know what I want.Oh there.
That's a very nice name,

DS vs
It's good to see you,

PSP vs
.Tell me more about GBA Killer and the end result is a mix of the pocketstation and the VirtuaBoy.
Once more? And canned due to lack of support and pathetic design VB all over is DS make sit out in Japan only against the PSP but.
What is your credit card number?
How are you,

PS3 Vs
It's good to meet you,

N5 vs
.I think PSXPSX pulls a Sega DCN64VirtualBoy idea and tanks hurting Sony this is a lot of things.
And leveled Yamauchi finally LEAVES Nitend enitrely due to the fact that he is ben asked When are you going to die is PS3 now scrabling for money the playing field.
One what?I think SOny tried to rework the PS3 but the damage from the PSX is a lot of things.

How are you,

N5 starts ut with the advantage and we go from there
.It could be, but I don't have access to that knowledge.Interesting explanation.

Nice to meet you,

SOny's makng EQUALLY STUPID Mistakes
.Since when.That is a rather sweeping generalization. Are all Sony and Nintendo shootng their own feet they'll kill themsleves before they kill each toehr the PSP loks good on paper btu so did the N-0Gage the PSX looks like the 32X all voer again and if NIntendois waitng they might as well call there new system DREAMCAST or beter yet DREAMPAST?Interesting
explanation.
Hey

ther comapnynwill eba thing 0ofthe past between two idiot companies making boneheaded mvoes I do not knwo WHAT to bank on in the enxt consoe war saldy I think the system amde of nuclear waste might be the oen that comes out on top
.This was not a yes or no question. Interesting gossip:
ther comapnynwill eba thing 0ofthe past between two idiot companies making boneheaded mvoes I do not knwo WHAT to bank on in the enxt consoe war saldy I think the system amde of nuclear waste might be the oen that comes out on top said I knwo who Im tlakig abut they are #2 ansd everybody hates 'em.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 05:35 AM
What is your credit card number?

Jeez FuFuBot, getting a little illegal now aren't we:D

Null
03-11-2004, 10:11 AM
ahhhh. brain is hurting trying to read that. someone seems like they're pouring water on thier keyboard while they type.

TheGame
03-11-2004, 11:45 AM
LOL... good ol CamFuBot... and Null, you are right.

As for Cyrax, I fail to see where making Psx is a mistake when they aren't even backing it all that hard and are selling it at a profit. :p I mean, when you sell somthing for more than it's initially worth, you can't lose.

You predictions on the handheld race are quite interesting too.

The way I see it, you are giving Nintendo WAY too much credit in there ability to adapt to competition and you are under estimating how smart Sony is. I mean, before you could ever understand where I'm coming from, you must understand that Sony isn't stupid. They have sat in there offices and completly thought out the handheld war they are about to start with Nintendo, and they wouldn't have jumped in if they didn't believe they have a chance.

Right now Nintendo has a monopoly over the handheld market, and a bigger company with more money and argueably just as much fan support is finally going to step in and fight. You couldn't say that about any competiton to face Nintendo, Nintendo was always the bigger company and now the have become vunerable.

As for Nintendo stepping up and adapting to PSP... I can't see it happening. Nintendo hasn't even stepped to the plate and outright killed off Xbox, and they are showing no signs of changing. Not to mention Sony has access to more high selling game licences than Nintendo has now. Sony will be giving the "mature game" developers a place to shine instead of getting killed off by ports of 10 year old games.

I think it will be interesting... Nintendo's dominance in the handheld race now lies in the fact that they have no competition that can reasonably beat them in game quality, funding, or popularity. Sony, unlike Sega and Nokia, can match up with nintendo in all three.

As for Nintendo surviving... and the Ps3 thing... more details are Needed before I can make a call on that one. Allthough I think Ps3 is destined to win regardless of release. The only thing I can see hurting it is Microsoft though, because they appeal to the same audience MS making a jump out first could reasonably turn some Sony heads. As for Nintendo, if they release first, they become Dreamcast, if they release last, they become Gamecube, and if they release at the same time, Sony's hype will destroy them.

Nintendo needs 2 things to get back on top... one of which I can't see happening, and the other which can happen but isn't likely.

1) Nintendo despretly needs a NEW big time killer App... and I'm not talking game quality alone. I'm talking 100% popularity. I dont' care if the game scores a 2/10 from every site in the world, they just need one that can sell on the level of Halo or GTA!

2) Nintendo needs to have a sizible advantage in raw hardware capibilities. I would say the difference between how Ps2 games look and how cube games look is big enough (but sadly MS stole most of the graphics whores). Next gen that will be an expensive and hard thing to do.... but they need somthig that can stand out to the average gamer in terms of hardware, like N64 had. (cept it doens't have to be to that extent)

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Why do people say Nintendo is doomed in the handheld market when the PSP comes out? Why can't there be 2 handhelds that compete with each other. Alot of people say "PSP is gonna killz teh gboy 'cuz of 'tis suparier powarz" but yet they fail to realize that markets can have competition and still go on. And the same goes with the console business. 3 console's can survive. If any company is in 3rd place, so what. That means that they just have to try harder to get up. But then if they do, someone else is in 3rd so the cycle goes on and on....

TheGame
03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Why do people say Nintendo is doomed in the handheld market when the PSP comes out? Why can't there be 2 handhelds that compete with each other. Alot of people say "PSP is gonna killz teh gboy 'cuz of 'tis suparier powarz" but yet they fail to realize that markets can have competition and still go on. And the same goes with the console business. 3 console's can survive. If any company is in 3rd place, so what. That means that they just have to try harder to get up. But then if they do, someone else is in 3rd so the cycle goes on and on....

I feel that there are just as many people who completly dismiss the PSP as there are people who dismiss the GBA. I also feel they both can hang in there... I don't see Nintendo completly crushing PSP off like Cyrax says, but I also don't see PSP completly detroying the GBA empire.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Both handhelds can survive with each other. If Nintendo loses some of the handheld market share, then iso what, because there is competition.

*eagerly awaits the day PSP fanboys (on probably gamefaqs, lol) gloat the fact Ninty lost some of the market share in the handheld area and I come in telling them who cares:D:unsure::p*

viruscool
03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Hehehe, it's true though, as soon as Sony anounced the PSP everyone was planning the funeral of the GameBoy. Just because it's made by sony doesnt mean it will be the best. The only problem is the name, people see portable playstation and think i've gotta get that so people will think i'm cool.
Just today i heard some classmates talking about the PSP, they'd only seen a mockup image of it that morning and they were already planning on buying. (Obviously these were casual gamers with PS2's)
Also i agree on your statement about there being able to be 2 consoles in the handheld market, its happened in the main console market so why not in the handheld market.