PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Built a Computer?

Shiz
02-11-2004, 10:51 PM
If so, how? Is it really difficult? I want to build a computer for my next one, but i'm clueless. Where would i order my parts, is it more reliable, alot cheaper?? What all should i order? How would i know where to put what, etc. Thanks!

Null
02-11-2004, 11:09 PM
If so, how? Is it really difficult? I want to build a computer for my next one, but i'm clueless. Where would i order my parts, is it more reliable, alot cheaper?? What all should i order? How would i know where to put what, etc. Thanks!

its actually pretty easy. and i find it a lot of fun.

you learn a lot about your PC that way, by knowing everything thats in it, which helps a LOT for upgrades.

basically you buy each part and its as simple as plugging them in. some are slightly more difficult depending on case and motherboard. but it would come with a diagram of the little plugs if it needs them. so its not bad at all.

i find CompUSA is a nice place to buy some stuff if your not into ording online. i think www.pricewatch.com is a good place to price out things and look for parts.

it can be cheaper if you know what yoru doing and can cut parts where you know you wouldnt need. or want to upgrade at a later time.

And yes, i find its MUCH more reliable. this is my first computer i ever built, and i will always build one from now on. its been by far my best and most reliable computer ever. never had any probs with it.

Plus when you build your own, you understand how it works more and when it has a problem you can find what it is yourself. :)

good luck man, and have fun with it. :) people are always around here to help with questions. i think we have a few ppl who build thier own.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
02-11-2004, 11:17 PM
i'm hoping to do the same soon

Hero2
02-11-2004, 11:21 PM
ominub built mine I helped a little and then I helped more when we built a freinds computer. But I did put all the lights in my computer. Its not that hard to build your own.

Jonbo298
02-12-2004, 03:27 AM
I built my first "actual" computer all on my own and I have had no major problems. (a few hiccups here and there, but I got them solved). My old computers I had were "frankensein" computers, basically I mixed and matched. But its ALOT better to build your own. You'll save money and like Null said, you'll have a better understanding of each part.

Sites I would recommend for parts would be either www.newegg.com or www.pricewatch.com . I got most of my stuff from newegg.com since they have alot of great deals and whatnot.

What to order depends on what you want to keep from your current computer. If you just want to start all over on everything and go from the ground up, then let us know:p

It shouldn't be too hard to actually put everything together. It will probably take a few hours to put everything together, but thats obvious. And just to let ya know ahead of time, the first time you boot the computer after you put everything together, there is a good chance some kind of a problem will arise. But usually it should be easy to determine the problem. And if you have any problems setting it up, you can either shoot a reply/thread here or on a kind of fairly well known comp. forum site.

Shiz
02-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks!! Im looking forward to this :D How much will a good system cost to build?And do you think it'd be good to use some part from my old pc, or buy all new?

Null
02-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks!! Im looking forward to this :D How much will a good system cost to build?And do you think it'd be good to use some part from my old pc, or buy all new?

well. if you have a good monitor, use that. decent hard drive and use that also, i suspect you'll be using newer style ram so wouldnt be able to use the old stuff there. mouse and keyboard tho. and any PCI cards you wish to keep.

Ace195
02-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I built my computer for $500 without monitor It's a great system too it runs faster then most computers that you would buy for that cost because when you buy a name brand system IE. "Dell" "E-machines" Your paying for name and labor... Umm to build a good one I agree with null I'd say go to Pricewatch... some other good sites are newegg.com and tigerdirect.. Another thing to remember is that if you have a monitor and and old computer SCAVANGE and you'll save money :)

Yoda9864
02-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I've built about 10 or 11 computers for friends and family. I built my own also. Whenever I buy stuff online, I go with www.newegg.com. They are the best.

If you feel lucky, you can go to www.pricewatch.com. A lot of the companys on there are a bit shady though, so you gotta be careful. you can go to www.resellerratings.com to check out a company's worth. I think that Newegg's price, return policys and, quality is very worth the extra $5 you will spend.

Advice: Make sure you know what you're doing, where everything goes, how to set up windows, etc etc.

I would suggest using nothing from your old computer. The parts in it are just that, old. They have lived their life and it's time to replace them. To save some money at first, you can keep your CD drives, floppy, keyboard and mouse. But you will eventually want to replace them. Not only do people build their own computers to save money, but also to make it look cool. I don't think there's anything worse than having a new shiny tower with old beat up keyboard and mouse and stuff.

Here's a link to my computer specs/pics. Maybe it'll give you some ideas as to where you want to go with yours.
http://studentweb.stcloudstate.edu/plad0301/my_computer.htm

If you need any help, post here or you can IM me if you want.
AIM: Yoda9864
MSN: Yoda9864@hotmail.com

manasecret
02-12-2004, 02:25 PM
"Computers are like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"
-Homer (quote may be slighty changed)

I love building computers. I built my first one a few years ago and never looked back.

I've built three computers so far, all mine, and I've had no major problems. None. Somehow Dells, Compaqs, and all the rest always seem to come with prepackaged problems, and yet cost more than if you built your own.

I've bought the majority of the parts for all three computers from GoogleGear.com (http://www.googlegear.com), who have changed to ZipZoomFly.com (http://www.zipzoomfly.com) I guess because of copyright issues (they got Googled you might say), who have been very reliable for me. The only thing I didn't buy from them were the video cards and monitors. And I'll tell you why.

You can get high-end video cards that normally run for about say $400 at retail or major websites for $300 or less at lesser known websites. I'm not sure how or why, but I have a good guess. I think the difference is that: $400 = Retail version with a pretty Retail box and all the extra software (such as 'free' games), while $300 = OEM version with all the hardware and wires and such that the retail version has, but no pretty box or games.

So I bought my video cards from BuyXtremeGear.com (http://www.buyxtremegear.com), which have very cheap prices. You can get OEM versions of high-end video cards for $100 cheaper or less than their retail versions.

As for monitors, shipping costs are horrendous, and I like to look around a lot for monitors at nearby retail stores before I buy one.

Newegg.com and Pricewatch.com are popular in this thread :). I don't know much about Newegg.com, but if you don't trust BuyXtremeGear.com or want to compare prices I think Pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) will give you a lot of websites that also sell OEM versions of videocards. EDIT: I looked a little at NewEgg.com, and they also sell the OEM versions of video cards, but for about $10-$15 more than BuyXtremeGear.

So come back to the thread when you need help! Like JonBo said, the first time you turn on your freshly built machine problems are likely to arise.

Jonbo298
02-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I sooo need to get that oem 9800pro thats only $209 right now on BXG, but alas, the money just isn't in sync with the selling price

Shiz
02-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks alot guys!! Im so exited...too bad its so far away. It definately should be fun. Im curious about this though....lets just use some examples. lets say, there is a...like a 9800xt out when you build your comp, but you opt for something cheaper because thats so damned expensive. so you build your computer with one card, then change to the 9800xt later when its cheap.

OR, lets say you built it WITH the 9800xt, because price wasnt a problem. is there anything wrong with upgrading, or is it best to get the best things and not upgrade. vid cards were only an example, just upgrading in general is what i meant. thanks ALOT guys! :)

Jonbo298
02-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Nothing wrong with upgrading or getting the best things. If you have the money to blow and don't care about price, get the best stuff. If you want to conserve a little here and there, go for it. Building your own computer makes it so you CAN upgrade in the future. I had to build mine from the ground up basically because my old computer was too old to do anything with. But with what I have now, I can upgrade here and there easily, at least until the new mobo standard comes out and sloowly takes over ATX (but that is a little ways down the road)

Yoda9864
02-13-2004, 02:34 AM
at least until the new mobo standard comes out and sloowly takes over ATX (but that is a little ways down the road)
I'd say that's in the far distant future.

But yeah, like Jonbo said, building your own computer allows to to easily switch out components and upgrade them.

Jonbo298
02-13-2004, 02:51 AM
The specs for the BTX format have been out for a little bit now. Kind of interesting.

Seth
02-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Don't build your PC while standing on a carpet. I've known a few incidents where people have fried parts cuz of static electricity.

And I've never built a computer. I'm sure I could if I wanted to. I've taken my PC apart and stuff and shat like that.

thatmariolover
02-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Don't build your PC while standing on a carpet. I've known a few incidents where people have fried parts cuz of static electricity.

And I've never built a computer. I'm sure I could if I wanted to. I've taken my PC apart and stuff and shat like that.

Haha. Yeah, that's a bad deal. The easiest way to get near build it your own price, is www.ibuypower.com.

But if you're part shopping, then I personally favor www.pricewatch. Then you've just gotta pick a motherboard and then look at what types of components it's compatable with and shop from there. It's really not that hard, but you're going to want to find a short tutorial if you're planning on doing it.

Cyrax9
03-11-2004, 04:24 AM
I will have COMPLETED building one on Friday (Hopefully) -- I just have tyo get 'nix running on the RAID-1 Array.

I will POST SPECS when I'm done, it's not hard unless you get DOA parts, I got two one as refunded one was a $20 floppy, so meh, it was easy, well... easy for someone who knows the PC's guts. ;)

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 05:29 AM
$20 floppy drive? I payed $10 for mine and its pretty new