PDA

View Full Version : Little computer problem

Crono
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Once in a while my computer will just randomly restart itself. I went on the net and did some research and discovered that it could be one of two problems:
1. Internal temperature is too high.
2. Too many devices connected and not enough power soure.

I downloaded a device that reads your pc's different temperatures and they all seem to be fairly good:
Motherboard = 28.0C
CPU1 = 35.0C
CPU2 = 44.0C
HDD1 = 34.0C
Fan1 = 4017 (whatever that means...)
Okay, so it can't be that my pc is too hot.

That leaves the possibility of there being too many devices attached to my pc. I don't even have that many devices attached. I have my monitor, printer, keyboard and mouse, speakers... and well, thats it. My power supply is 300 watt.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? It's actually rare that is restarts, but sometimes it'll happen while playing FFXI, other time shortly after starting up my pc.

thatmariolover
02-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, you've got two CPU's which does use a lot of power.

What kind of graphics card do you have? If it's a big one it also likely uses up a lot of power. My friend had a single CPU and a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra and his 350 watt fried (and took out his HD with it).

So, it could be a problem with power. Possibly not. It could also be a virus (what antivirus are you running?) or a number of other things.

I'd say pick up a new power supply (400 watt minumum, probably should go for 420) somewhere that allows returns. Like Best Buy (you have one of those where you are?). You can buy a new power supply there (keep the reciept, box, etc.) and return it within a month if it doesn't help.

Because, I mean, if it works after that then you needed to buy a new power supply anyway. And if it doesn't, you didn't waste any money.

Best of luck.

Crono
02-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Well, you've got two CPU's which does use a lot of power.

What kind of graphics card do you have? If it's a big one it also likely uses up a lot of power. My friend had a single CPU and a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra and his 350 watt fried (and took out his HD with it).

So, it could be a problem with power. Possibly not. It could also be a virus (what antivirus are you running?) or a number of other things.

I'd say pick up a new power supply (400 watt minumum, probably should go for 420) somewhere that allows returns. Like Best Buy (you have one of those where you are?). You can buy a new power supply there (keep the reciept, box, etc.) and return it within a month if it doesn't help.

Because, I mean, if it works after that then you needed to buy a new power supply anyway. And if it doesn't, you didn't waste any money.

Best of luck.

I have GeForce FX 5200... and Norton AntiVirus. This PC was custom built for me though.. I don't get why he would put in a lower power supply, but I guess I will have to get a new one. I don't have a Best Buy but there are many places I can get one. What is the average price of a 400watt + power supply? Actually, if I call the guy I can probably tell him to change it for me.

thatmariolover
02-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, the issue is that you're going to want a place that you can return it even if the thing has been opened and used.

If you can shop online (the cheapest way to go, but no returns), you can get a brand name (Thermaltake) 420w for $43 here: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-W0009R&c=pw

Or a generic one for much cheaper ($12) here: http://3btech.net/viopo42posur.html (could be just as good for all I know).

Otherwise, if you're looking in a store, I think you're probably looking at $60 (give or take 10 bucks).

Crono
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, the issue is that you're going to want a place that you can return it even if the thing has been opened and used.

If you can shop online (the cheapest way to go, but no returns), you can get a brand name (Thermaltake) 420w for $43 here: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-W0009R&c=pw

Or a generic one for much cheaper here: http://3btech.net/viopo42posur.html (could be just as good for all I know).

Otherwise, if you're looking in a store, I think you're probably looking at $60 (give or take 10 bucks).

Well in the future I will be getting a better video card (probably fx 5600+) and cpu (late this year Ill probably get P4 3.0ghz) so I may as well just get a free 420 power supply (I have 2 year warranty, and If I tell him the problem and what could happen he shouldn't charge me).

Null
02-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't get why he would put in a lower power supply...

Power source usually comes with the case, perhaps he thought it was enough or overlooked it entirely.

Crono
02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Power source usually comes with the case, perhaps he thought it was enough or overlooked it entirely.

What are the chances of my power supply frying and ruining my pc? I will call him tomorrow no matter what though, hopefully I can get it changed next week.

thatmariolover
02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
What are the chances of my power supply frying and ruining my pc? I will call him tomorrow no matter what though, hopefully I can get it changed next week.

If you've been running it like this for a little while and it hasn't hurt anything yet, I'm betting that you'll be just fine.

Crono
02-06-2004, 04:08 PM
If you've been running it like this for a little while and it hasn't hurt anything yet, I'm betting that you'll be just fine.

I've had the pc for a little over 2 weeks. But I am getting it changed just to be on the safe side. And btw, thanks for the help.

Null
02-06-2004, 04:38 PM

eh. hard drives dont really like it, but not it prolly wouldnt really hurt anything.

i've had a powersupply blow up and fill the house with smoke before and PC worked fine after i bought a new power unit for it. (altho things smelled bad for a while)

Jonbo298
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
It sounds like the psu needs a little upgrade there. Especially if you have a P4 since i know they can take alot of power there. And the psu shouldn't blow anything because its not forcing more power to everything, just giving the cables/psu more leg room for more stuff. And remember, for power supplies, its quality over quantity (quantity meaning wattage). From what I've heard, I think thermaltake, forton, and another one are the better ones to get. But if you can't find them, get a decent priced 400-420w psu and you'll be fine.

I'm still using my stock 350w that came with my case, and I have so much crap hooked up to it I still don't understand how it runs fine with no random reboots.

Stonecutter
02-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Fan1 = 4017 (whatever that means...)

That's probably RPM

Jonbo298
02-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Yeah, its RPM.

Hero2
02-06-2004, 09:14 PM
I had a simailar problem a while back my cold cathode light was shorting out or something like that. I took it out and the computer works fine now.