PDA

View Full Version : Sonic in Mario Kart!

Jason1
02-23-2002, 12:06 PM
As reported by PlanetGamecube...

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=2689

if you dont want to click the link, here is the important stuff...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in what might be an attempt to apologize, he drops the most amazing name in conjuntion with Mario Kart. In his own words ...

"The situation is that we are having a series of meetings about Mario Kart for GameCube and we have come to the point where we will be making some drastic changes to the last games. Sonic the Hedgehog might be one of the drivers!"

BigJustinW
02-23-2002, 12:13 PM
I think Sega should make thier own kart racing game, because the SA2 dreamcast one played very good...

If Crash Team Racing can beat out Mario Kart, I'm sure Sonic Team Racing can beat it too!!!

Plus I hate EVEYTHING about Mario Kart

fin

Perfect Stu
02-23-2002, 12:13 PM
that's so sweet

he should be the fastest...

The_Dunadan
02-23-2002, 12:14 PM
i only liked the mario kart multiplayer. sonic would be a nice edition though. i'd like to see more characters, like ssbm characters.

Jason1
02-23-2002, 12:14 PM
Nice sig stu...and avatar...very nice......

Revival
02-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted at GameCubeXL (http://www.gamecubexl.com/new/dailynews/fullnews.cgi?newsid1014485238,81622,)
Nintendo has set some high goals for the Eurpean release, explains Miyamoto.

"We are sorry that we are late in introducing the GameCube to Europe, but, we really wanted to have the right amount of hardware and by delaying the launch until May we are able to stock enough machines to be able to sell 500,000 consoles on day one. Within two months of the launch we expect to shift 1,000,000 units of GameCube hardware across Europe. I think that we are better prepared for the launch of the next console into this market and will have prepared 20 titles for day one for Europe."

While offering reasoning for the delay, Miyamoto reveals something special.

"The situation is that we are having a series of meetings about Mario Kart for GameCube and we have come to the point where we will be making some drastic changes to the last games. Sonic the Hedgehog might be one of the drivers!"

We'll have to wait and see what comes of this.

Drunk Hobbit
02-23-2002, 12:56 PM
That makes no sense. Mario Kart just has characters associated with Mario. It's not like the SSB Melee gang is racing in there too. More practical to have Sonic in one of the SSB games...

azazela31
02-23-2002, 01:09 PM
I want Shadow too!! Damn he's ROCKs!!

EDIT: But I don't believe it... remeber the rumours that Sonic would make it to SSBM. Actually if Sonic was in SSBM I would buy 100%, I would kick Mario's little fat ass so many times!!

Ginkasa
02-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
that's so sweet

he should be the fastest...

If he is in it, he shouldn't be the fastest. Just because he can run fast does not mean he has a fast go-kart.

But I don't he will be in it. It wouldn't make sense.

GameMaster
02-23-2002, 03:45 PM
A small, yellow, electric mouse will also race?. Oops, I think I've said too much.

gekko
02-23-2002, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't mind. Sonic Drift 3 would be nice, but Mario Kart is a great game by itself, adding Sega characters would only make it better.

Revival
02-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I agree with gekko.. it's not going to do any damage.. only make it better.

azazela31
02-23-2002, 04:15 PM
I wish SSBM had Sonic and Shadow!! That would rock... that would make me buy the game.

Drunk Hobbit
02-23-2002, 04:16 PM
Yes, add the yellow rat basterd.

Revival
02-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by azazela31
I wish SSBM had Sonic and Shadow!! That would rock... that would make me buy the game.
What's preventing you from buying the game now?

GameMaster
02-23-2002, 06:42 PM

Tails and Knuckles. Shadow is so new to the Sonic series I feel he just wait in the very back of the line. Dr Robotnik, hmmm, wouldn't that be interesting...

Jason1
02-23-2002, 07:12 PM
There isnt anything not to believe...Its Myamato we are talking about here, he dosent make stuff up.

Revival
02-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
There isnt anything not to believe...Its Myamato we are talking about here, he dosent make stuff up.
He might be a chronic liar, you never know :p

BlueFire
02-23-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Shooter

What's preventing you from buying the game now? The fact that he lives in Russia.

:p

Revival
02-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by BLueFire
The fact that he lives in Russia.
That, that might have something to do with it :D

GameMaster
02-23-2002, 09:12 PM

He might be a chronic liar, you never know :p

I had chronic asthma once if that helps any :D

Revival
02-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Gamemaster2002
I had chronic asthma once if that helps any :D
Let me think.. nope, it doesn't.

DeathsHand
02-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Didn't the same thing come up about SSB? Sonic in SSB this Sonic in SSB that but it was just some fake dumb story? :confused:

Revival
02-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
Didn't the same thing come up about SSB? Sonic in SSB this Sonic in SSB that but it was just some fake dumb story? :confused:
Well, this is a quote from Miyamoto, so I think there might be some truth to it, not just another fake story.

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 03:02 AM
Someone even had the nerve to come up with a lame @$$ "screenshot" which looked totally fake for SSBM. :rolleyes:

Revival
02-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Someone even had the nerve to come up with a lame @$$ "screenshot" which looked totally fake for SSBM. :rolleyes:
We all *hopefully* learned something from that :D

azazela31
02-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by BLueFire
The fact that he lives in Russia.

:p

Don't like party games...

Revival
02-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Don't like party games...
Oh, heh.. I'm not a real big fan on them either, that's why I haven't bought it yet.

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 01:30 PM
I wonder if anyone from the original cast isn't going to be in this one...

BreakABone
02-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Um I'm just curious.. who says it has to be a Mario Kart game.. I mean everyone might recognize it as that now.. but what happened if this big change is to make a Nintendo mascot racer similar to SSBM?

Ric
02-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Sorry I am going to have to defend one of my favourite games here, Mario Kart is one hellava great game, CTR is a complete piss take out of it not to mention the fact that, its crap.

Now as has been mentioned, I remember Sonic was ment to be in SSBM, so uuh... I dont believe this claim one bit until it comes from the hoarses mouth so to speak. I do wish people wouldnt post rubbish on the internet, it vexes me, stupid PGC.

Revival
02-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Sorry I am going to have to defend one of my favourite games here, Mario Kart is one hellava great game, CTR is a complete piss take out of it not to mention the fact that, its crap.
I totally agree.

azazela31
02-24-2002, 02:22 PM
But the article says Shiggy said it!! But I hardly believe it...

Revival
02-24-2002, 02:31 PM
But the article says Shiggy said it!! But I hardly believe it...
He did say it... why is it so hard to believe?

Jason1
02-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Ric

Now as has been mentioned, I remember Sonic was ment to be in SSBM, so uuh... I dont believe this claim one bit until it comes from the hoarses mouth so to speak. I do wish people wouldnt post rubbish on the internet, it vexes me, stupid PGC.

It came from Shiggy. What more of an important person do you need? Do we need Mr. Bush to announce it for you?

Revival
02-24-2002, 03:32 PM
Do we need Mr. Bush to announce it for you?
Yeah.. let's get Dubya to announce it :rolleyes:

Ric
02-24-2002, 05:00 PM

It came from Shiggy. What more of an important person do you need? Do we need Mr. Bush to announce it for you?

Well no not really, Bush holds no importance in my life whatsoever, he just runs a country thousands of miles away from me. What I was saying is if this was official it would be on an official website thats all, anyone can say shigsy said this shigsy said that but whats important is what shigsy actually said. So for now I aint believing it.

C.H
02-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Ric

I don't think i could have said it better myself :)

Anyway, back to the subject. Humm, shiggys has said outrageous things before. Remember when he first talked about the possibility of having fox mc cloud in dinosaur planet. And no one took it seriously, and now look whats happened. So i think everything shiggys says should be considered. But i have to agree with what someone else said before. All the characters in Mario Kart are associated with Mario. Donkey Kong may not have appeared in a mario game. But Mario did first appear in the original Donkey Kong, and so. Is associated with Mario. What i would prefer to see, is if they brought back the character that was cut from the early version of Mario kart 64. That character who i can't remember his name, Magi-something or other. A bloke who works for bowser, and has a wand and magic. YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN DAMMIT!
And other charatcers that have appeared in mario games but have long since disappeared. And what about Waluigi from Mario Tennis, or even characters from the Donkey kong...no wait, forget i said that. Donkey Kong will be having his own racing game made by Rare. It is good to hear that Nintendo are trying to do something different with Mario Kart tho. Like Rare is trying to do something different with there next racing game.

Infact, i'm kind of please that both games are in development now and are a long way off. Although Diddy kong racing was a brilliant game. Some did say i had a close resembulance to Mario Kart. But Rare are trying something different with Donkey knog racing and have already stated this (i'm not going into description, because then this post would be to long. But i warn anyone who argues this point. I AM PREPARED TO MAKE ANOTHER POST IF I HAVE TO). But if Nintendo to are trying something different with Mario Kart, then we should get two brillant and different racers on GC. Which please me know end, NOW THEY JUST NEED TO DELIVER!!!!

Ric
02-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally made by C.H
with Donkey knog racing and

Donkey Knog.... Donkey Knog.... Who the bloody hell is Donkey Knog roflmao

Originally posted by C.H
What i would prefer to see, is if they brought back the character that was cut from the early version of Mario kart 64. That character who i can't remember his name, Magi-something or other. A bloke who works for bowser, and has a wand and magic. YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN DAMMIT!

Yes I know precicely who you mean, the blue wizard Magi Koopa... I want Koopa Troopa back aswell. Here's an early MK64 screen for reference. Look there he is in the background.

Ric
02-24-2002, 07:40 PM
And here's another shot, look there he is in second place trying to get past Toad's fat head.

Gamer
02-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Hmm, sonic and mario...different...

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Man those MK64 screenshots are old skool! :D
Why did they take Magi Koopa out?:confused:

Ric
02-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Because they used Donkey Knog instead, didnt they C.H. lol

Seriously... I dont know, but if you look at the screen I posted you can see Bowser, Mario, Wario, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, Toad and Magi koopa.

Wario then seems to be Koopa Troopa's Replacement while Magi koopa is in place of Donkey Kong, as these are early screens Nintendo probably hadnt showed the game to Rareware who were at the time probably planning Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64. Rare would have given permission for use of the character and the look they wanted him to have and then Magi koopa was replaced.

surfin4lifer
02-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Mario kart is the ****, nough said.

Revival
02-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by surfin4lifer
Mario kart is the ****, nough said.
Cheers! :D

:beerchug:

BigJustinW
02-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Mario Kart is crap... I thought that the toon look would mean it was made to be fun... but it's not even fun.

Ric
02-25-2002, 12:01 PM

Cheers! :D

:beerchug:

Shouldnt that be cheers.
http://shooterad.netfirms.com/cactibeer.gif

Ric
02-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW
Mario Kart is crap...

:mad2: NO ITS NOT!

DeathsHand
02-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Just to make Ric mad... Mario Kart sucks ;)

At least 64 did... the SNES one was ok... yay...

:D

BigJustinW
02-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Just to make Ric mad... Mario Kart sucks ;)

At least 64 did... the SNES one was ok... yay...

:D

bleh

They all suck, but you are right, the 64 version is by far the worst.

Revival
02-25-2002, 12:13 PM
I like Mario Kart, but I do think the N64 version sucked.

BigJustinW
02-25-2002, 12:20 PM
I like Mario Kart, but I do think the N64 version sucked.

MK64 is the first one I ever played... maybe that's why I hate the series so much

*thinks*

Nah... Marioi Kart sucks, period ;)

Revival
02-25-2002, 12:30 PM
:lol: Close enough Justin :D

C.H
02-25-2002, 02:34 PM
LOOK, Mario Kart on the snes and on the 64 are both brilliant games. And Mario Kart is considered one of the best games ever made. And has been copyed many times, but never beaten. I'm just going to beat Ric to the punch here, because....HE'S GOING TO PISSED WHEN HE SEE'S THIS.

Revival
02-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by C.H
HE'S GOING TO PISSED WHEN HE SEE'S THIS.
So what? We are entitled to have our opinions.. and you saying 'Look, this was a great game' isn't impressing me too much either.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and while you may not agree with them, we can have them.

BigJustinW
02-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by C.H
LOOK, Mario Kart on the snes and on the 64 are both brilliant games. And Mario Kart is considered one of the best games ever made. And has been copyed many times, but never beaten.

1) Mario Kart isn't CLOSE to one of the best games ever made

2) It was copied by Crash Team Racing, and BEAT by Crash Team racing

3) Mario Kart is crap

azazela31
02-25-2002, 02:45 PM

1) Mario Kart isn't CLOSE to one of the best games ever made

2) It was copied by Crash Team Racing, and BEAT by Crash Team racing

3) Mario Kart is crap

1. Mario kart sucks little balls... I played the N64 version with my friend and it's so damn boring. There is absolutely no replay value and fun. Can't upgrade karts, no secret characters, and the gameplay is so pointless and simple.

2. They both sucked... I bet a Jak & Daxter kart racing game will be made to beat Mario Super Kart.

3. Agreed

Originally posted by C.H
Mario Kart is considered one of the best games ever made.

I consider Azurik, Nightcaster better titles than Mario Kart!! Hell Kabuki Warriors and Universal Studious are on a par with Mario Kart.

DeathsHand
02-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by C.H
I'm just going to beat Ric to the punch here, because....HE'S GOING TO PISSED WHEN HE SEE'S THIS.

Just because it's our opinion that the game sucks? :confused: ;)

Revival
02-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Just because it's our opinion that the game sucks? :confused: ;)
I know.. that's what I said!

azazela31
02-25-2002, 03:25 PM
WOW!! Lot's of people who say Mario Kart sucks!!

And the best part is I agree;)

BigJustinW
02-25-2002, 03:26 PM
It's always nice to see people on my side of a debate for once :)

Drunk Hobbit
02-25-2002, 03:34 PM
WOW!! Lot's of people who say Mario Kart sucks!!

And the best part is I agree;)

doobie doobie doo...

...Shadow sucks...

azazela31
02-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu

doobie doobie doo...

...Shadow sucks...

Ohh well we all can't be the same can we.

Mario Karts sucks ass... I played the game. As for Sonic Adventure 2 you probably haven't passed it.

Revival
02-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Mario Karts sucks ass... I played the game. As for Sonic Adventure 2 you probably haven't passed it.
Nope :D

GameMaster
02-25-2002, 09:53 PM
It's always nice to see people on my side of a debate for once :)

The keyword here is once :D

Drunk Hobbit
02-25-2002, 10:11 PM
I haven't played it. Nor do I intend to. Sonic in 3D is just wrong...

GameMaster
02-25-2002, 11:02 PM

Amen to that! Check my Utlimate Game in the profile if you don't belive me. Dreamcast destroyed Sonic and the story forever. I pretend that Sonic & Knuckles was the last game to make myself feel better. But I hear the GBA Sonic "resurrects" the Sonic we all knew and loved in the days of Genesis. :)

Revival
02-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Ahh.. Genesis.. how I miss my Genesis :baby:

azazela31
02-26-2002, 09:32 AM

Sonic wrong in 3D!! If Sonic Adventure 2 is wrong in 3D then Mario 64 shouldn't even exist because it's such a mediocre game!!

Ric
02-26-2002, 11:05 AM
Mario 64 is a great and revolutionary game, I'll not hear a word said against it. I agree that Sonic Adventuire 1 and 2 are great and Shadow is cool, especially when he goes super. I have my doubts about his being dead but hey.

BTW: MARIO KART RULES!!!! Everyone stop being bias fanboys, all games have their merits and downfalls.

Revival
02-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Ric
BTW: MARIO KART RULES!!!! Everyone stop being bias fanboys, all games have their merits and downfalls.
Ok, now you're just being stupid.. callingus biased fanboys because we don't like Mario Kart? We can have our opinions, and you can have yours -- but calling us fanboys because we don't like mario cart is beyond stupid.

BigJustinW
02-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ric
BTW: MARIO KART RULES!!!! Everyone stop being bias fanboys, all games have their merits and downfalls

Someone who likes somthing is a fanboy:
MARIO KART RULES!!!!

Somone who hates somthing because it competes with somthing that they like is a fanboy:

Somone who hates a whole genre of somthing simply for what it is isn't a fanboy:
They (MK and CTR) both sucked... I bet a Jak & Daxter kart racing game will be made to beat Mario Super Kart.

at least this is my understanding of this

Revival
02-26-2002, 11:29 AM
That's my understand of it too.. he calls us fanboys for not liking the game when he's saying the truly fanboyish stuff.

Ric
02-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Me
all games have their merits and downfalls.

Is that a bias statement, I think not, Mario Kart does have it's downfalls but it is still a good game. Now then children, lets not start an argument here. I retract my statement about CTR being crap, it is merely a poor rehash of Mario Kart that exploits a different franchise however it has it's merits.

DeathsHand
02-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Ric

Is that a bias statement, I think not, Mario Kart does have it's downfalls but it is still a good game.

The racing is slow, IMO... And I don't really like the way the carts handle for some reason...
The battle game sucks... I hate the battle thing... even on the SNES game...
I don't really like the powerups much either... I guess it would be even more boring if they took them away, but when I'm playing a racing game, I like it to be like just racing... I dunno...

What's good about it? Well... I like the track designs I guess... they're neato... That's all I can think of right now ;)

So you can see why I don't really like the game very much, so TO ME (meaning IMO) it sucks...

*goes to play rush*

*realizes he doesn't have a Dreamcast or N64*....... *shrugs*

:burger:

Ric
02-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Fair enough, and you just made a new friend, Rush 2049 is one of my favourite racing games unfortunatly it is underrated in its popularity, I still have my copy, is the DC version the same as the N64?

EDIT: lol, I just looked at the topic's name, amazing what a discussion can develope into.

BigJustinW
02-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Is that a bias statement, I think not

no, but this does:

azazela31
02-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Let me just put it this way.

The people who are mindlessly defending Mario Kart and calling it one of the best game ever, while supressing any other opinion and saying that it's fanboyish that makes us say that the game is bad; are the ones most likely showing their fanboyism.

Ric
02-27-2002, 08:46 AM

Yes I know and I retracted that statement, try looking at my post on page 5. Anyway we are deviating from the subject, is Sonic in Mario kart????

Revival
02-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Ric
Yes I know and I retracted that statement, try looking at my post on page 5. Anyway we are deviating from the subject, is Sonic in Mario kart????
We don't know -- we're making guesses off of Miyamoto said.

GameMaster
02-27-2002, 09:57 PM

Sonic wrong in 3D!! If Sonic Adventure 2 is wrong in 3D then Mario 64 shouldn't even exist because it's such a mediocre game!!

That's why IGN gave it 9.8, one of the highest rating ever :rolleyes:

azazela31
02-28-2002, 09:49 AM

That's why IGN gave it 9.8, one of the highest rating ever :rolleyes:

That's why half of the board and people who played it say it sucks.

There was NOTHING revolutionary.

I got Jumping Flash for my PS1 and it beat the **** out of Mario 64.

Tell me how Mario 64 is any better than Nights for saturn.

Mario 64 was 1 out of 2 launch games for the N64, and if it had another game to oppose it would lose badly.

So you say that Mario 64 deserved 9.8?? So that mean Wreckless, and Bloodwake kill anything that the GCN has to offer because they scored better than all GCN games.

If Sonic made a bad conversion into 3D than Mario totally ****ed up on his way from 2D to 3D.