PDA

View Full Version : Theory On RE4!

D-realJos
01-31-2004, 01:54 AM
W’sup you strangers! :p

Being caught up in the latest RE4 hype, I decide I’ll watch some trailers of it. Here’s a thought that crossed my mind. I figured it was interesting enough to share.

Well, this is more of an analysis of the first trailer. You too, may find it interesting.

If you’ve seen the trailer, then you may have noticed some sort of “dark matter” in pursuit of Leon.
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/harvestbio14.jpg

What’s interesting is that this “darkness” appeared in many scenes, and Leon’s weapon seems to have absolutely no effect at all. Hmmm...
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/frostbio12.jpg

Well, what could this darkness be? It not likely to be some ghostly kind of fog, since we know Resident Evil isn’t based on those types of elements. It seemed threatening enough for Leon to shoot at it, but his shoots have no effect -- it was like shooting at thin-air. This just doesn’t add up!

This leads me to the following “theory.”

This "darkness" isn't truly there. These scenes may be hallucinations or even a dream visualizing the threatening virus in Leon's body -- slowly stalking and eventually taking over him. It's the developers way of representing his desperate fight to suppress this virus within him. In other words; the darkness is a "visual metaphor" to account for Leon's struggle with the virus inside him. Not Plausible? Read on.

*Listen to the voice in the trailer and the scenes that follow* --- it does seem to fit this theory.

voice: “INVADING” [scene 00:42]
Remember, the "darkness" is the developers visual approach(a metaphor, likely played out in the form of both in-game and scripted hallucinations) to describe the virus’s effect in Leon’s body. As the virus invades Leon’s body, the trailer visualizes this by showing the "darkness" invading hallways.

voice: “CONTAMINATION” [scene 00:51]
Not suprisingly, Leon is shown surrounded by the "darkness," contaminated by it. This may be the indication that he can no longer fight the virus within him as it’s becoming too much for him to continually suppress. The next process is inevitable.

voice: “POSSESSED” [scene 00:57]
This last image depicts the point where Leon can no longer escape the “darkness.” With no where to go and no more fight left, he yields to the "darkness" -- “possessed” by the virus.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/bio06.jpg
Leon clutches his hand as he is overwhelmed by this “darkness”. The camera pulls back to a distance as though signifying the end of the likely hallucination... but what does this mean in terms of what actually took place in his body? He is possessed by the virus and perhaps will go through some kind of change afterward? Some already speculated he may be slowly changing throughout the game. We’ll see.

Could this be on the mark? Who knows?! At the very least, it would make sense and would explain scenes of that "dark matter."

Your thoughts...

Dyne
01-31-2004, 02:28 AM
Reminds me of another guy's theory on how zombies are gone, and inanimate objects become animated.. and evil.

We'll just have to wait and find out.

Jonbo298
01-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Maybe this is Umbrella's newest experiment or something and it was hell bent on Leon from the start.

Canyarion
01-31-2004, 06:11 AM
I'm really hyped about this game. :D
Nice theory Jos, reminds me of Eternal Darkness...

BTW I haven't played RE2, 3 and CV, so from which game does Leon come??

Dyne
01-31-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm really hyped about this game. :D
Nice theory Jos, reminds me of Eternal Darkness...

BTW I haven't played RE2, 3 and CV, so from which game does Leon come??

RE2? I think.

Jonbo298
01-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, leon is from RE2

Canyarion
01-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Ok cool, I played like the first 10 minutes of that game. Then my illegal PC version crashed. :D

Now continue talking about Jos' theory. :)

edit: http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio4/images/e_contents_syousai.jpg
From here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio4/english.html

DeathsHand
01-31-2004, 06:59 PM
Or maybe that's a new enemy...

I'm curious as to what RE4 will be like though, since they're supposidly changing the game up a bit... And stuff... And it's been awhile since the RE storyline took a step forward... And like... Leon is my hero... And junk...

D-realJos
01-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Or maybe that's a new enemy...

Yeah, that's one the points I were trying to make. It's strays FAR from any "biological" enemy that the RE franchise is known for. So far, in fact, that it seems Ghost-like. Of course, you may be right, but with the developers saying they want to take the series back to its roots... ... ...

Also, the last scene in the trailer shows this "black stuff" surrounding him. If it's an enemy, I'd figure he'd be harmed or something, but instead, his infection triggers an event that will play a key role in the game. He's "POSSESED"! That's what led me to believe all those scenes of that "darkness" were to represent his struggle with the virus in his body.

Of course, that's just a theory, but it should be interesting to see what's the real deal.

PS: Was the progenitor virus mentioned in any other RE game? I remember reading a document on another variation of the T-visus, but I can't remember if that was in the Remake or RE2, and what they called it.

Gamer
01-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Has anyone considered the idea that RE 4 might be FPS? They said that the game takes on a "new perspective" but what does that mean? who knows...could be the first FPS resident evil.

Crash
01-31-2004, 10:43 PM
i haven't seen the trailer or played the RE games, but it looks like a swarm of bugs to me from those pictures

D-realJos
01-31-2004, 11:45 PM
i haven't seen the trailer or played the RE games, but it looks like a swarm of bugs to me from those pictures

In the trailer, this "darkness" is constantly in pursuit of Leon. As it gets close, it takes on that form. In the end, it gets him, then some kind of revelation occurs, as the virus in his body seems to take effect.

Canyarion
02-01-2004, 07:28 AM
PS: Was the progenitor virus mentioned in any other RE game? I remember reading a document on another variation of the T-visus, but I can't remember if that was in the Remake or RE2, and what they called it.
They mention in in RE0. :) Isn't the progenitor virus the basis for the T-virus??

Remember how the shadowy enemy has some kind of sickel or chain in the movie.

If it's the virus from the inside, how could you fight it? Doesn't make much sense methinks... Oh well, we'll see. :D

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Has anyone considered the idea that RE 4 might be FPS? They said that the game takes on a "new perspective" but what does that mean? who knows...could be the first FPS resident evil.
taht would suck a ton of @$$

DeathsHand
02-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's one the points I were trying to make. It's strays FAR from any "biological" enemy that the RE franchise is known for. So far, in fact, that it seems Ghost-like. Of course, you may be right, but with the developers saying they want to take the series back to its roots... ... ...

Also, the last scene in the trailer shows this "black stuff" surrounding him. If it's an enemy, I'd figure he'd be harmed or something, but instead, his infection triggers an event that will play a key role in the game. He's "POSSESED"! That's what led me to believe all those scenes of that "darkness" were to represent his struggle with the virus in his body.

Of course, that's just a theory, but it should be interesting to see what's the real deal.

Have you played RE0? If you have, you know those enemy zombies that are made out of a ton of bugs? (I think they were bugs... Hey, I only played the game once and it was quite awhile ago) It could be something else along the lines of that... A bunch of bugs or weird snakey dark tenticles grouping together... Or there could even be a main body in the middle of all those things... Kinda like an octopus... Only... Completely covered in arm... things... :hmm:

As for the FPS... I doubt it... If there's any FPS in it, it would be an optional view (like in Code Veronica's Japanese version after beating it)...

But I doubt it... It probably has something to do with the storyline... Maybe they'll pull a MGS2 and Leon isn't really the main playable character?

Canyarion
02-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Leeches yes. But they don't look like the shadow in RE4.

About the story:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio4/images/e_contents_text.jpg

FPS view doesn't sound right, you need to see the zombies grabbing you :D

DeathsHand
02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Leeches yes. But they don't look like the shadow in RE4.

Doesn't mean it's not something similiar

D-realJos
02-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Remember how the shadowy enemy has some kind of sickel or chain in the movie.

If it's the virus from the inside, how could you fight it? Doesn't make much sense methinks... Oh well, we'll see. :D

Hey man, you're on a totally different trailer now. :p

As for Leon fighting the inner virus(which I am assuming is that "black stuff" for the sake of this theory), I already mentioned those scenes may be some kind of halucination, or even a dream designed to show how the virus is threatening Leon on the inside, to the point where it finally takes effects.

I'm not sure if you guys understand what I'm trying to say here, but I'm not sure how else to better explain myself.

It's kinda like when the symbiot (the "Venom" suit) first began to bond with Spider Man. He then had a dream that night of the monstrous suit fighting in the city with his old costume, before eventually possessing. Of course, this was purely for effect, to show an inner struggle/take-over within Peter Parker.

It's quite possible that something similar is happening to Leon in those scenes. The trailer ended with the camer pulling backward as if signaling the end of his hallucination/dream.

I'm not saying this is absolutely the case. Just noting a it's possible scanario.

---

Yeah Deathshand, those are leeches man. Leeches! :D

Canyarion
02-02-2004, 10:03 AM
So you think it's not actual gameplay? Or perhaps playable, but more like an insanity effect??

Cause I don't think it'd be cool to run away from 'the inner virus' the whole game. :unsure:

D-realJos
02-02-2004, 08:18 PM
So you think it's not actual gameplay? Or perhaps playable, but more like an insanity effect??

"(a metaphor, likely played out in the form of both in-game and scripted hallucinations)"

Cause I don't think it'd be cool to run away from 'the inner virus' the whole game. :unsure:

This theory was only to make sense of the scenes in the trailer, not the whole game. I would assume those scenes from the trailer are from the early parts of the game since the developers did state that Leon IS possessed by the virus for pretty much the entire game, and the trailer seemed to take you through certain stages before he is actually possessed at the end.

Anyway, the whole hallucinaiton/dream theory wouldn't need that long to play out, just perhaps the first 10-15 minutes of the game, or a couple minutes various parts of the begining. But only up untill the part where he gets "possessed". After that, they'd be no more reason to visualize the virus stalking him anymore(since it would have already possessed him).

Canyarion
02-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Hm.... well wouldn't it be cooler if the virus would take him over slowly through the game? Perhaps that's what the developers meant... he has the virus, he's just not sick/dead yet. Perhaps the virus gets triggered when he dies. :)

Hm this could be very interesting. :D