PDA

View Full Version : Big Info From Matt

GameKinG
01-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Well, yesterday Matt left this mysterious message on IGN boards:

Lordy!

Lordy, I say!

NDAs have my tongue. But whoa! Whoa, I say! Holy crap!

Please discuss.

P.S. I apologize in advance. E3 2004 will be happy and warm.

Matt

He can't tell us what he saw, cause of his NDA, but he seems very happy about what he saw.

Other members of the media were there, including Makaze-IGN (IGNPS2 editor). He said matt ""isn't even close to giving it enough credit. Best ever? Maybe". Further adding, "Either way, it's going to be my most wanted rather soon." Keep in mind we are still talking about a Nintendo Gamecube game.

He says expect info at E3, if its not leaked sooner. Rumors float around about it being playable RE4 at Capcom's very recent event. Unlikely though, cause Capcom already announced the playable RE4, so there would be no real need that we know of for an NDA.

Crash
01-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Well, yesterday Matt left this mysterious message on IGN boards:

He can't tell us what he saw, cause of his NDA, but he seems very happy about what he saw.

Other members of the media were there, including Makaze-IGN (IGNPS2 editor). He said matt ""isn't even close to giving it enough credit. Best ever? Maybe". Further adding, "Either way, it's going to be my most wanted rather soon." Keep in mind we are still talking about a Nintendo Gamecube game.

He says expect info at E3, if its not leaked sooner. Rumors float around about it being playable RE4 at Capcom's very recent event. Unlikely though, cause Capcom already announced the playable RE4, so there would be no real need that we know of for an NDA.

realistic zelda? i forsee the future!

Joeiss
01-30-2004, 12:03 AM
It's abviously Mario Party 6

GameMaster
01-30-2004, 12:04 AM
A Wind Waker sequel? The next Mario game? The rejuvenation of the Pokémon saga?

One Winged Angel
01-30-2004, 12:09 AM

LOL

Crash
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
mario 128 woo hoo

Perfect Stu
01-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Yoshi's Racing Challenge?

Crash
01-30-2004, 12:34 AM
the ACTUAL gamecube mario kart? the one that doesn't suck?

The Germanator
01-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Sounds exciting, whatever it is...but May is pretty far away.

Jonbo298
01-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Probably something to do with Zelda. Maybe Nintendo is backing out on the idea of a cel-shaded sequel....who knows:p Maybe they got a sneak preview at the DS?

Well, nevermind. I read again and it said a 'Cube game.

Dyne
01-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Some thought it was Killer 7. Or maybe it's Kid Icarus.

Crash
01-30-2004, 02:02 AM
exactly, nintendojo said it was from Capcom. honestly the only this that would impress me as much as these guys seems to be impressed by is a remake of the Final Fantasy games on the cube...specifically VII. but yeah, it's probably just Viewtiful Joe 2..... which is dont give a damn about.

Koopa
01-30-2004, 09:11 AM
i hope its not something from capcom...their stuff has really been uninteresting lately...viewtiful joe never interested me, pn03 was a flop, dino crisis was a flop, and i hate the RE series.

so hopefully either matt found out wtf that DS thing is, or saw the new zelda or mario or metroid game, or saw kid icarus or some revived old franchise, or found out something about cube2.

Null
01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
the ACTUAL gamecube mario kart? the one that doesn't suck?

impossible. they'd screw it up again. Just like they messed up Mario Golf for GC.... Just like they'll prolly screw up Mario Tennis for GC..

rottwylor
01-30-2004, 11:56 AM
What is everyones deal with Mario Kart? I think it's a pretty good game, personally.

DeathsHand
01-30-2004, 12:06 PM
How many times have various sources left mysterious things hyping up something mysterious? And then nothing really amazing happens?

Eh... I'm curious as to what it is though... I'm hoping it's something Zelda-related somehow, though it's probably like Nintendo DS or... something...

Probably something dissapointing like Metroid 2 :sneaky:

Crash
01-30-2004, 12:10 PM
How many times have various sources left mysterious things hyping up something mysterious? And then nothing really amazing happens?

Eh... I'm curious as to what it is though... I'm hoping it's something Zelda-related somehow, though it's probably like Nintendo DS or... something...

Probably something dissapointing like Metroid 2 :sneaky:

dissappointing like metroid 2 AHHHHHH

I love metroid!

TheGame
01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
to have such extreme hype I doubt it's an original project (even though it's possible)... and who said that it was a game?

I would like to hope that it's a realistic Zelda.

-EDIT-

Oh, and if it's Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Pokemon (if not online), or Metriod 2 it's not worthy of such misleading hype.

Joeiss
01-30-2004, 12:40 PM
I only played Mario Kart for one night... And I thought it was pretty damn good....

what's wrong with Mario Kart DD?

Mushlafa
01-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Ya i dont see whats wrong with Mk: DD and i think in the end this is just gonna be something lame that is being over hyped already. Megaton anybody :)

Null
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
whats wrong with mario kart DD, is that is a step backwards from Mario Kart 64.

poorly designed and uninspired maps. Horrible battle mode maps. smaller maps, too gayish now with the stupid soap box durby cars instead of go karts.

many of the weaps have been goofed, like blue shell used to run around the ground so it can hit other ppl on its way to first, now it just flies over everyone. They took out good features like Jump.

Fun, hell yes. but MK64 was better.

CrOnO_LiNk
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM

LOL. +Rep. :)

But seriously, I wish it was Super Smash Bros. Online.... :

Dark Samurai
01-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Fun, hell yes. but MK64 was better.

Agreed

TheGame
01-30-2004, 03:48 PM
I haven't played MKDD or Mario Kart for SNES... played it on 64 though. Didn't think it could get much worse ;)

Canyarion
01-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Hm... sounds interesting, Nintendo better have something good to show, cuz the others will have some juicy stuff. :D

Ginkasa
01-30-2004, 05:30 PM
*walks into Zelda shirne complete with Triforce and Link statue*

*bows down*

*prays for it to be a an honest to God Zelda game, not this "Tetra's Trackers" and "Four Swords" crap*

*prays harder for it to be realistic*

*with 8 or more dungeons*

*and pig Ganon, no more Ganondorf*

*and no boat, kill the boat*

*some more land would be nice too, a lot of water equals bland environment*

*Triforces self*

*shrugs and walks away*

Vampyr
01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Im going to state a few things that I would like for it to be:

1. A new Metroid game for the GCN. (another 3D one, like Metriod Prime)

2. a new pokemon game the revives the series.

3. Super Smash Bros. Online

4. A new Zelda game. (3d, like OoT)

5. An online program, like Xbox live, that DOES NOT require broadband.

6. THE NEXT GAMEBOY! ( no DS crap...)

7. A large open ended RPG, like Morrowind.

8. A new Mario game, like Mario 64.

thats all I can think of right now....

Null
01-30-2004, 06:21 PM
I haven't played MKDD or Mario Kart for SNES... played it on 64 though. Didn't think it could get much worse ;)

yes, understandable, with you playing it, its rating drops 98% same for most games really. you lower the levels of anything you near. lol

:D ;)

hehe

Canyarion
01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Hm an über RPG. :)

My expectations for RE4 are quite high, but it's probably not this...

Jason1
01-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Finally, its obviously that waffle maker add-on that ive been talking about for months.

MEGATON

Canyarion
01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
no, it's spelled M3g4t0n! :rolleyes:

It's a game that lets us beat the crap out of Miyamoto, Yamauchi and the new president-dude. :) Turn them into Pikmin and bury them alive.

Wait that's not funny, they do that with chickens in Taiwan or whereever it was. :(

Stonecutter
01-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, clearly it's just some marking BS that IGN has cooked up to tease people for 5 months.

Jonbo298
01-31-2004, 08:13 PM
In the latest N-Query on igncube, Matt mentions that his big "hoo hah" is that he got to try out the playable build of RE4.

You mean to freaking tell me that you not only got to see Resident Evil 4, but you got to PLAY IT? And you can't say anything about it? Capcom, I hate you. But of course, I wouldn't say anything if you blinked once to indicate the game was amazing, and twice if it was underwhelming.

Matt responds: [Picks nose]. How are you going to interpret that one? Yes, the game was playable at Capcom's event. No, I can't say a thing until Capcom lifts the non-disclosure agreement.

DeathsHand
01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
dissappointing like metroid 2 AHHHHHH

I love metroid!

What would be dissapointing about it being Metroid 2 related is that, to me, no announcement/detail/feature/whatever surrounding a single game can be extremely amazingly awe-inspiring...

Especially if that game has been previously announced and we've seen screens (and a movie or two I think, right? I havn't really been following Metroid 2) of it...

And if they're going crazy over RE4 in any way, they're probably pissing themselves over the graphics... Again... Of course this time it's in 3D, but still I was sick of people going crazy over RE's graphics back when the RE remake came out... It'll probably have the same "HYPE HYPE OMFG THE GAME LOOKS AWESOME OMG CHECK OUT THOSE GRAPHICS HOLY SNAP!" *game is released and reviewed* "DAMN GOOD GRAPHICS 7.6 overall score"

GameKinG
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
We have now found out it is RE4 they were talking about.

Makaze and Matt both have it at the top of their wishlist (amazing, considering matt's self proclaimed father is MP, and he doesnt put MP2 there, though its unranked right now). 1-up.com also reported this after the event so we know its not an ign conspiracy.

Must have been a damn good demo, which is quite uncommon. It was playable at the event they all went to. Matt has gawked over the graphics, but I doubt they improved to much as to make him spew such glee. As well as the other two people. Very unlikely it has to do with graphics. The info he is so excited about is protected by the NDA, I see no reason to hide good graphics from the public.

Jonbo298
02-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Maybe the controls are that damn good now:D

GameMaster
02-01-2004, 12:53 AM
RE4, ho-hum. :-o
I was hoping for something new. :(

GameKinG
02-01-2004, 02:02 AM
According to Matt, something new would have been terribly dissapointing compared to what he saw at this event.

Canyarion
02-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Hm I really wonder how they're going to do the controls. Are they gonna give Leon jumps and stuff? Sidesteps? And what about the aiming??

And the surroundings, will they have the same ammount of detail? Seems kinda hard to do in 3D... :unsure:

Jonbo298
02-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Hm I really wonder how they're going to do the controls. Are they gonna give Leon jumps and stuff? Sidesteps? And what about the aiming??

And the surroundings, will they have the same ammount of detail? Seems kinda hard to do in 3D... :unsure:

With the amount of detail already seen with full 3D in the few videos we've seen, it looks almost identical to REmake/RE0. And the controls are gonna be like an actual 3D "platformer" (seems odd to say when referring to RE) game.

Canyarion
02-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Well, in most rooms in REmake and RE0, you see TONS of stuff lying on the tables. Like empty bottles, lamps, papers, dirt, CDs, cups, plates.... Seems kinda hard to be done in 3D.

BTW does anyone have the movie for me? Stupid IGN one doesn't work.

Vampyr
02-01-2004, 12:02 PM
RE4, ho-hum. :-o
I was hoping for something new. :(

I am also dissapointed. :(

Im not a huge fan of the RE games. They scare me too much. :)

DeathsHand
02-01-2004, 01:12 PM
I swear if he's going nutzo over the graphics I'm gonna kill 'im...

It better be gameplay or story related... A big plot twist (though I doubt he'd know about that from playing a demo) or something... Or maybe a lot of new abilities for characters (and not just revamped controls with no new abilities, because I could deal with the same old RE controls again)...

Otherwise I'll kill him...

If any one of you touches my stuff... I kill ya...

CrOnO_LiNk
02-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I swear if he's going nutzo over the graphics I'm gonna kill 'im...

It better be gameplay or story related... A big plot twist (though I doubt he'd know about that from playing a demo) or something... Or maybe a lot of new abilities for characters (and not just revamped controls with no new abilities, because I could deal with the same old RE controls again)...

Otherwise I'll kill him...

If any one of you touches my stuff... I kill ya...

This sucks... We all knew that RE4 was going to be awesome... No Big info there. :(

GameKinG
02-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, matt knew it would be awsome to, but apparently awsome is an insult to the game.

DeathsHand
02-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Well, matt knew it would be awsome to, but apparently awsome is an insult to the game.

's graphics...

GameMaster
02-01-2004, 05:11 PM

Insulting new games is really fun. Expect plenty more dissing from me. Insulting Matt is fun also. Hey Matt, I think RE is ****ty, does that do your little game justice? Thanks for disappointing me. I was hoping for something cool, I'll never trust your exaggerations again. Pfft. You just got served.

GameKinG
02-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Will you stop it with your graphics nonsense!

I assure you, 100% its not about graphics. 100%.

Crash
02-02-2004, 12:33 AM
guy at capcom: "hey, if you pump our game up, and give us a lot of publicity, we'll let you play a demo!"
guys at IGN: "you've got yourself a deal"

Canyarion
02-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Hehe :D Why would Capcom do that? Too much hype kills a game!!!

Anyway, I beated RE0. :p The extra game is nice I guess... am I right if I say that I should FIRST kill all the enemies... and THEN collect the leech charms?? :)

Oh yeah, Rebecca is DAMN HOT IN LEATHER! :eek: Seriously, I always thought of her as 'cute', but after seeing this... :drool:

Anyway :unsure:

TheGame
02-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey Matt, I think RE is ****ty, does that do your little game justice? Thanks for disappointing me. I was hoping for something cool, I'll never trust your exaggerations again.

Amen... hype, hype, hype, that's all Nintendo has been to me this generation, and it's getting harder and harder to buy into it. I mean, what makes Matt think that this is worthy of such huge hype?

Now we can never trust if somthing is going to be a big announcement or not... and if this game is mediocre it just makes hype for the Nintendo brand alltogether harder to believe...

I can't wait to see him drooling over Nintendo's next system, because by then we won't know if his brand of hype is justified or not. I think IGN needs to fire this guy and let him go work for Nintendo power ;)

DeathsHand
02-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Will you stop it with your graphics nonsense!

I assure you, 100% its not about graphics. 100%.

And you know this how? My guess is as good as yours as to what he's talking about, and my guess is that he's just being a dumbass and hyping the graphics like everyone's done since RE moved to NGC...

Have they come up with an amazing new control scheme? Maybe...

Have they come up with some awesome new storyline or something? Maybe...

Is Matt pissing himself over graphics again? Maybe...

Booyaka...

I hope I'm right so I can laugh at IGN...

Jonbo298
02-02-2004, 06:30 PM
*sits back with a trash bag of popcorn as I watch all the Nintendo bashing going on*
*ponders why people bitch to me when I say anything bad about Sony or Microsoft*
meh, oh well.
*just sits back with above mentioned*

GameKinG
02-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Matt rarely hypes a game, and never like this (except for metroid prime). And he definetely is never agreed with by a ps2 editor and an unrelated 1up.com editor.

Plus, matt has been writing cryptic messages (with the first letter of each word being the message). Things like: "Amazing gameplay, me likey".

rottwylor
02-03-2004, 12:06 AM
all I wanna do is zooma zoom zoom in your boom boom... I can't wait for E3

Dark Samurai
02-03-2004, 08:04 AM
i was planing 2 years in advance to go to E3

i moved from California to New Jersey so im not going this year maybe next :unsure:

but i cant wait for E3 either

Null
02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
*sits back with a trash bag of popcorn as I watch all the Nintendo bashing going on*
*ponders why people bitch to me when I say anything bad about Sony or Microsoft*
meh, oh well.
*just sits back with above mentioned*

psst, you didnt mention anything. you just thought some stuff. we're not mind readers. :p

and isnt this just matts weekly game hype?

TheGame
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Matt rarely hypes a game, and never like this (except for metroid prime).

You mean the over-hyped over rated Mertroid Prime? Well, that just makes me buy into his hype even less. :p

Null
02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
You mean the over-hyped over rated Mertroid Prime? Well, that just makes me buy into his hype even less. :p

prime wasnt IMO overated, at least not as much as others *coughhalocough*

but indeed it was VERY over hyped, seems like nintendo could say its raining outside and IGN would find a way to overhype it.

DeathsHand
02-03-2004, 02:06 PM

but indeed it was VERY over hyped, seems like nintendo could say its raining outside and IGN would find a way to overhype it.

I havn't played Halo at all, but IMO Metroid and Eternal Darkness were two of the most over-hyped games this generation :sneaky:

Null
02-03-2004, 02:30 PM
I havn't played Halo at all, but IMO Metroid and Eternal Darkness were two of the most over-hyped games this generation :sneaky:

not doubting that, i never played ED tho, but id definently thro Halo in with them.
but i was calling halo overated, didnt comment on it being over hyped. :p

rottwylor
02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
See... a lot of that is subjective... I loved both Metroid and ED... a lot... and I didn't find them over hyped at all =)

TheGame
02-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Halo wasn't over-hyped... and it's the fans doing it to Halo 2, not some IGN editor trying to build it up :p

If Halo was over-hyped, I must have missed the hype train, because I didn't get an Xbox until early 2003 and I ddn't think about buying halo until a few months after buying an Xbox... I wans't even thinking about halo, played it and I'm now pissed that I didn't get it the day it came out.

It's the best console FPS this generation, and put of all the launch games I have played for any platform this gen, the best game. I'm saying this after ignoring it's release and simply turning a blind eye to it for over a year.

Null
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Halo wasn't over-hyped... and it's the fans doing it to Halo 2, not some IGN editor trying to build it up :p

If Halo was over-hyped, I must have missed the hype train, because I didn't get an Xbox until early 2003 and I ddn't think about buying halo until a few months after buying an Xbox... I wans't even thinking about halo, played it and I'm now pissed that I didn't get it the day it came out.

It's the best console FPS this generation, and put of all the launch games I have played for any platform this gen, the best game. I'm saying this after ignoring it's release and simply turning a blind eye to it for over a year.

check it again bro. over RATED. i said originally. then agreed about the games you mentioned being over hyped. theres a diff.

And the best Console FPS Halo might be, and that makes me really depressed about console FPS's because as a PC FPS'er when i finally played the game on both PC and Xbox...... MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT. i guess it just showed me how far ahead FPS's have come on PC. in PC magazines it was rated one of the biggest dissapointments of the year to pc fans. i returned the game for PC the next day. and its been rated to be slightly improved - exact same single player. I didnt try single tho and maybe thats where its at, but multi is what i like and it was no where near up to standards.

But anywho, i was saying overated. not overhyped.

i agree prime was over hyped. i dont feel it was overrated tho. kinda the opposite. heh.

*shrug*

GameMaster
02-03-2004, 07:15 PM
As long as we're talking about overhyped/rated games, could I throw Soul Calibur 2 into the conversation?

Wow. Big disappointment. Smash Bros. is so much more engaging. Anyone want to buy my SC2, I don't want it anymore.

rottwylor
02-03-2004, 09:02 PM
As long as we're talking about overhyped/rated games, could I throw Soul Calibur 2 into the conversation?

Wow. Big disappointment. Smash Bros. is so much more engaging. Anyone want to buy my SC2, I don't want it anymore.

I'll give ya a nickle..

...it's shiny and new!

GameKinG
02-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Halo really is over rated. The level design on single player is really bad and repetative around the middle of the game through the end. Multiplayer is ok, but there are no extra modes I have found that you can play alone, which is a bummer. The only multiplayer map I really like is 'Hang em High'.

I thought MP was over rated when I started playing it too. I got it, played it for 3 1/2 hours, was going in circles, and quit. 4 months later I gave it another chance, and found where I was suppose to go (instead of in circles). From there it was smooth sailing. I got all the upgrades, the puzzles and bosses are great have awsome use of weapons and power ups. Its now my favorite game. :)

Although I did have to cheat with an FAQ to figure out where to go initialy (and get out of that damn circle). But whatever it takes...Its a good balance of freedom and restriction, you can go a lot of places but eventually your gunna be locked out of them all and only have one option that will lead you to the weapon that will open up the doors you were locked out of.

Null
02-04-2004, 12:54 AM

dont forget to put smash bros slightly above sc2 in the overrated catagory.

i mean. could we get more corny and silly in that game?

;p

Canyarion
02-04-2004, 08:09 AM
I really hope they won't only use the 'over-the-shoulder' view. I really can't imagine that it will be comfy.
We need the original camera posistions, with an option to change to the shoulder view, in case you want to see what enemies are in the room. I really hate wasting bullets/health because I can't see what's going on. :(

TheGame
02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, Null, how can the best be over-rated? Did it get perfect scores? No, but the game did come out 2 1/2 years ago and has yet to be topped by a console FPS... maybe that didn't justify the scores back then, but it more than justifies the score now.

(oh, and sorry for all the errors in my last post, I was in a mad rush)

GKG, while Halo's level design may get repetitive, the fact that you go back through the level makes sense both to the story and to the reality of the situation. If you dig yourself into a hole, you have to dig your way out... this isn't zelda, there is no circle of light to step on after you defeat the boss to take you to the front of the dungeon.

I don't want to turn this into a Halo vs Metriod thread... but what Halo has in it's single player that Metriod lacks is a story that drives me to play. Great games almost always give you a reason to play from the gate. Compare the first level of Halo to the first "level" of Metriod Prime, no contest.

Null
02-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, Null, how can the best be over-rated? Did it get perfect scores? No, but the game did come out 2 1/2 years ago and has yet to be topped by a console FPS... maybe that didn't justify the scores back then, but it more than justifies the score now.

to me its not the best tho. But, what im saying is if thats whats its reconized as, so be it, but that really saddens me about console FPS's in general.

but there hasnt really ever been a console FPS i could truly enjoy, so thats where my opinion would come from. im sure its quite differnt from PC fps'ers to Console ones.

and whats with all this halo talk? all i did was make a little cough jab at it. lol :D

TheGame
02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
to me its not the best tho. But, what im saying is if thats whats its reconized as, so be it, but that really saddens me about console FPS's in general.

Well, we know as long as console FPSs use a controller you won't like them. But, the fact is there are many who do like the FPS genre on consoles even moreso than on PC.

Null
02-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Well, we know as long as console FPSs use a controller you won't like them. But, the fact is there are many who do like the FPS genre on consoles even moreso than on PC.

too true, And there are also people who like aol dial up more then broadband. :p Also people who like a huge fat woman instead of a model. etc.

opinion in that regard is opinion. :p

Opinion is also pushed by loyalties, peers, fanboyism, etc. So many opinions are unjustified. nonetheless are still opinions.

And btw. theres more too it then the control issue. (which your right, is probably the major issue) There are other things that make PC FPS's better.

But now this is going away from a halo fight and into a PC vs Console fight.......... What was this topic about originally anyway? ;)

TheGame
02-04-2004, 01:59 PM
too true, And there are also people who like aol dial up more then broadband. :p Also people who like a huge fat woman instead of a model. etc. [/b]

Yep, and the AOL Fat girl lovers are the PC FPS lovers ;)

Opinion is also pushed by loyalties, peers, fanboyism, etc. So many opinions are unjustified. nonetheless are still opinions.

Agreed... but my opinion isn't pushed by any of that as I explained :D :sneaky:

And btw. theres more too it then the control issue. (which your right, is probably the major issue) There are other things that make PC FPS's better.

Which is? All I can think of is online play.

[b]But now this is going away from a halo fight and into a PC vs Console fight.......... What was this topic about originally anyway? ;)

Don't worry about that ;)

thatmariolover
02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't think Halo was overhyped. Definately overrated (one word) now that it's out in my opinion, but not overhyped. It's a fun game to be sure. But I really got sick of it about 1/2 way through and really found it difficult to stick with it until the end (although i did finish it). The multiplayer is fun, but again, I can only play for a little while before I decide I'd rather be shoveling snow. But you know what? I really don't like FPS games in general, so I'm not going to continue.

Eternal Darkness found a special place in my heart. The game should have been way longer, and way more frightening than it ever was. But I still really enjoyed it. The story and the sanity effects were enough to keep me excited about the game until the end.

This whole RE4 possibility seems unlikely. I think that, yes, they did see a number of Capcom games. But they signed a blanket NDA (covering several or all of the games that they saw) so they can't comment on RE4 or the other games the played. I personally think that it's probably still another game. And if it is RE4, I'm going to be really disappointed. It seems like it's just going to be a Silent Hill ripoff with a crappy storyline (i.e. every other Resident Evil game storyline).

Don't Flame me yet!

Equips Helm of Epic Flame Resistance (Flame Damage 30/ )

OK. Now you guys can have your go...

Null
02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Yep, and the AOL Fat girl lovers are the PC FPS lovers ;)
lol, yea i saw that joke comeing almost as soon as i posted it. hehe.

now after yours i could just [insert a [your mama] joke here] and we'd all laugh and be done with that. ;)

Which is? All I can think of is online play.
Wellllllllllll since you asked...
Control, major issue, the fact that you get more of it, make any key/button do anything you want.

more ability to change/customize your game, graphics/effects/scripts to do differnt things (non cheatwise) like on my FPS games i script little things to do things like put my own differnt crosshair for each weap, make scroll wheel cycle only weaps i use and skip over ones i dont. etc.

Game types, a whole ton more of em.

Addons / Mods, these things are endless and all free.

online as you mentioned many things come from that.

real map editors. not cheap ones like in consoles that cycle thro difernt preset things. i mean real ones, where you draw the 3d object, texture it in your own way, using a professional program.

not to mention PC ones are faster, smoother And dont need auto aim. :p

I could go on.

Problem me and you face when doing this argument tho Game, is that i dont play single player. I dont enjoy it, its far too easy for me to go and chase around a pre programed bot instead of a real thinking human.

i think you play more Single player because you enjoy the story more. no?

many of the FPS's i play dont come with a single player at all because they're purely online Multiplayer. So we're looking for 2 differnt things.

Crash
02-04-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't want to turn this into a Halo vs Metriod thread... but what Halo has in it's single player that Metriod lacks is a story that drives me to play. Great games almost always give you a reason to play from the gate. Compare the first level of Halo to the first "level" of Metriod Prime, no contest.

I loved Metroid's story line, I thought it was great that the only was to learn what was happening was by reading logs. Halo is just totally different. Run in guns blazing FPS, Metroid is more, Use your brain to finish the game, I like both even though both are repetitive. I love the halo multiplayer and wonder what the metroid multiplayer will be. I can almost guarantee that the next metroid will have some sort of zooming cannon on one of the guns.

TheGame
02-04-2004, 03:38 PM
i think you play more Single player because you enjoy the story more. no?

many of the FPS's i play dont come with a single player at all because they're purely online Multiplayer. So we're looking for 2 differnt things.

Well, I enjoy Single Player and Multi Player... How I would rank them:

#1: Co-op Story mode
#2: Multi Player
#3: Single Player Story Mode

I think Halo's Muli-Player was great... it's downfall was that it wasn't online (and didn't have any bots). I love a good 16 player game of CTF more than anything though.

I think they key difference between me and you is that I can't stand playing ANY Action games on a keyboard and mouse... I could probably stand an RPG, or games like Sim City, but any action oriented game I can't deal with on a keyboard and mouse :p

Null
02-04-2004, 04:09 PM
I think they key difference between me and you is that I can't stand playing ANY Action games on a keyboard and mouse... I could probably stand an RPG, or games like Sim City, but any action oriented game I can't deal with on a keyboard and mouse :p

diffent types of games call for differnt types of setups. FPS's need keyboard/mouse. Thats much of the reason why console fps's are so much slower, they cant keep up with the pace of a PC setup. that and they impliment auto aim to make up for the lack of aiming ability.

i know the reason you cant stand it. its the same as most console players. its kinda like pitting the casual gamer vs the competitive one.

to each is own. i have no intention of making you like a differnt setup. :)

thatmariolover
02-04-2004, 05:51 PM
I loved Metroid's story line, I thought it was great that the only was to learn what was happening was by reading logs. Halo is just totally different. Run in guns blazing FPS, Metroid is more, Use your brain to finish the game, I like both even though both are repetitive. I love the halo multiplayer and wonder what the metroid multiplayer will be. I can almost guarantee that the next metroid will have some sort of zooming cannon on one of the guns.

Indeed. I thought Metroid had a great storyline. I hated Halo's storyline after the first 4 hours of the game. And at the end... The sheer thought that they were going to release a sequel because there's spoiler more than one Halo end spoiler just made me cringe. The lone thought that there would be more repitious floods brought me to my knees contemplating suicide.

The thing that Metroid lacks that Halo (and many other games) have is a connection to the outside world. I hated feeling so alone in Metroid.

Deus Ex, though. That games got it all. That's the FPS of our lifetime IMO.

DeathsHand
02-04-2004, 06:10 PM
The preview for the next issue of PSM (that was in the latest issue of PSM that I got yesterday) said they have a big sequel shocker that's going to be their cover game next month...

Maybe the big news is that RE4 isn't exclusive anymore ;)

It's probably something more like Ico 2 or something, but hey I can add to the mountain of hype and speculation can't I?

Shadow Fox
02-05-2004, 07:33 AM
GKG, while Halo's level design may get repetitive, the fact that you go back through the level makes sense both to the story and to the reality of the situation. If you dig yourself into a hole, you have to dig your way out...And you do that in Metroid Prime too- quite a bit, actually.I don't want to turn this into a Halo vs Metriod thread... but what Halo has in it's single player that Metriod lacks is a story that drives me to play.Read Crash's response regarding this. Metroid's story is actually more complex than Halo's- you just have to read everything to know all the details.

Just because the game doesn't hold your hand thru the game with an obvious reason to continue, doesn't mean the story doesn't exist- you are a DETECTIVE in Metroid Prime, much like the traditional series, and that's what it's all about.

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing here.Great games almost always give you a reason to play from the gate. Compare the first level of Halo to the first "level" of Metriod Prime, no contest.There is no "first level" in Metroid Prime, the ENTIRE GAME runs from beginning to end with hardly any cutscene breaks (and no level loads).

Kind of unfair statement there. How about comparing The Maw to the entirety of Phazon Mines thru Ridley and Impact Crater?

Somehow an trying to kill an Index bot (no matter how annoying he was) wasn't as fullfilling as taking on 4 HUGE bosses, but that's just me...;)

-Official Ninja of EXP

GameKinG
02-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah, But level design not just as in going in and then back (which is boring but understandable). Yet most levels repeat the same room design or maybe some slight differences, on the way in (i.e. pillar of autumn, the library, the control room). You do go back through levels of Metroid Prime 2. But at least all the rooms are different.

The plot twist in Halo does spark a little interest, but then it dies down till The Maw.

BUT, back on topic, a person who went to the capcom event has given some info to Gamefront.de on some details (YET TO BE CONFIRMED):

- Leon is main character in the game but there also will be 4 character from former RE games.

- You can pull your handgun while walking and also put back.

- Leon can hold one weapon in each hand.

- Zombies will not only see you but also hear and even smell you...

- Zombies can climb through windows.

- You can barricade doors so zombies can't breakthrough

- If you shoot in a room or corridor, zombies in the adjoining rooms can hear the shootin and follow it.

- Zombies will have several hit zones.

- The weapons shown were a knife, handgun, assault rifle and Molotov-Cocktail.

- You can change between 2 perspectives when aiming with the handgun.

- The blue shadow ghosts shown in the E3 build cannot be killed. They can interact with the environment and bring things like the seen dolls, dead animals (deer heads) to life.

EDIT: And metroid prime has a great reason to play from the gate: Samus hears a distress beacon on a Zebesian outpost orbiting Tallon IV. It has been overtaken by space pirates and she sees Ridley and knows trouble is about. She chases him down to Tallon IV and learns that space pirates are using phazon to create a super army that will control the universe.

Canyarion
02-07-2004, 05:55 AM
Hehe I REALLY hope that info is true! :D Sounds great!

DeathsHand
02-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Sounds nifty... Though a couple of those aren't even knew to the series...

I'm curious as to who the other characters from other RE games are... I'll bet Sherry is one of them...

TheGame
02-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Read Crash's response regarding this. Metroid's story is actually more complex than Halo's- you just have to read everything to know all the details..

Yeah, and Matrix's plot is more complex than lord of the rings.... *raises eyebrow*

If you didn't notice, most games that are of that genre (Action/Adventure/FPS) that get high marks either allow a big amount of freedom, or is story driven... imo metriod is neither. Metriod is gameplay driven.

But like I said, I'm not trying to turn it into a Halo vs Metriod thread. They are two different genres, the main point I was making is that Halo (alongside MANY other games) gave me a stronger drive to play than Metriod.

Canyarion
02-10-2004, 06:49 AM
I gotta admit that even though MP's story is cool, it doesn't actually DRIVE you to play.
Then again, I don't know many games that do have such a story. :unsure: Usually I just wanna play on because the gameplay is so much fun! :D

TheGame
02-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I gotta admit that even though MP's story is cool, it doesn't actually DRIVE you to play.

thanks for the support ;)

Then again, I don't know many games that do have such a story. :unsure: Usually I just wanna play on because the gameplay is so much fun! :D

any RPG is a perfect example of a story drive game. But I'm not talking about somthing that hard... even if it is a light weight drive to play. Zelda:OoT, for example, had an extremely basic story, but there was just enough to the story to give every part of the game purpose...

I dunno, Metriod could be taken that way too, to the guy who likes to download crap all day.

Shadow Fox
02-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I dunno, Metriod could be taken that way too, to the guy who likes to download crap all day.*thinks of the Kazaa userbase*

No wonder Metroid Prime sold so well...;)

At any rate, this is clearly a matter of opinion. IMO, I think Halo's "oh, all hell's breaking loose and we gotta get out" story is less engaging, because "all hell breaks out" all the time in Halo AND Metroid Prime, but Metroid Prime is MORE than just that...

For instance, in Halo you slowly find out the purpose of Halo, and the purpose/intent of the index construct.

In Metroid Prime, you slowly find out YOUR PURPOSE, who you are, WHO THE ENEMY IS, how they and yourself came to be, along with the universe and the first case of the "poision" (originally known as twin tabula).

In Halo, there is no lengthy elaboration on how the Spartan IV suit works (as the Space Pirate techs speculate on Samus' suit). There is no encounter of those who know why you exist. There is no detailed information about Halo's "end boss".

Then again, I'd say they're both the same in the sense that the Space Pirates and Covenant both wind up biting off more than they can chew by visiting alien planets they have no business invading...

I wonder who'd win in a face off; Metroids, or Flood? Both can kick Master Chief or Samus' ass in great numbers.;)

-Official Ninja of EXP

Jason1
02-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I kinda agree that the story is kinda second to gameplay in Metroid. Its basically like this in every game, but even more so in metroid. Then again I might just be thinking that because the gameplay in PRIME was the best since OOT. Not that the story was bad though.

Canyarion
02-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Well you gotta remember that it's hard to both give Metroid a cool story AND keep the same feel of the game.

Cause if you need more story, you probably need more characters. And that's impossible for Samus, since she HAS TO BE ALONE to keep it a Metroid game.

I think Retro Studios did a great job with the story. :D

TheGame
02-11-2004, 12:34 PM
*thinks of the Kazaa userbase*

No wonder Metroid Prime sold so well...;)

Metriod Prime sold well?!?! Or are you being sarcastic?

You are right though, it is a matter of opinion... so I'll let you take the last word here because it won't go anywhere ;)

thatmariolover
02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Metriod Prime sold well?!?! Or are you being sarcastic?

You are right though, it is a matter of opinion... so I'll let you take the last word here because it won't go anywhere ;)

I don't think it is a matter of opinion. At last count it was the 38'th best selling game of this generation with 1,068,328 copies sold.

So yes, it did sell well, even if you didn't like it.

TheGame
02-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Interesting you say that... the 2nd highest rated game this generation got 38th on the sales charts. ( http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp)

(if you don't want to count GTA: DP, it's the highest rated game)

Not to mention it was given away for free with GCN for a period of time (and I hope there weren't too many crazy enough to pick Mario Party or RE over it, which would make Metroid look even worse)... that's a big dissapointment if you ask me.

I mean, at least 36 lower rated games outsold it... :eek:

thatmariolover
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Your arguement is relative. Regardless of it not selling as nearly as well as it should have, it still sold well.

TheGame
02-11-2004, 05:54 PM
(I knew we would argue again one day ;))

Your arguement is relative. Regardless of it not selling as nearly as well as it should have, it still sold well.

That depends on what you mean by selling well. I mean, if Michael Jackson sales one million CDs it's a huge dissapointment... but if I sell one million CDs out of my undergroungd label (which I don't have :p) it would be a huge success.

In other words, it may have 'sold well' to be a Game in general, but it didn't sell well to be a game that got such high marks.

I mean, to be the out-right best rated game this generation (cept for GTA:DP), that is a big dissapointment.

Jason1
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
I dont think The game's arguement holds up. Saying a game didnt sell as well as it "should have" is kinda stupid in my mind. Whos to say how well a game should or shouldnt sell? I mean theres plenty of other very high rated games on any platform that just wont sell very well because the General Public dosent pay attention to ratings. And it works the other way too. A game like the Matrix shouldnt have sold near as well is it did. It was a crappy game. But because of that oh so popular matrix liscense, it sold through the roof. Besides that Nintendo's brand names just dont have quite the influence they used to. A million copies is still a helluva lot any way you look at it. Dont know why im arguing over this though. Anyone whos played it(and has any real taste at all in games) will know its a great game.

TheSlyMoogle
02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
The preview for the next issue of PSM (that was in the latest issue of PSM that I got yesterday) said they have a big sequel shocker that's going to be their cover game next month...

Maybe the big news is that RE4 isn't exclusive anymore ;)

It's probably something more like Ico 2 or something, but hey I can add to the mountain of hype and speculation can't I?

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the RE games aren't going to be exclusive anymore. I dunno though.

DeathsHand
02-11-2004, 09:59 PM
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the RE games aren't going to be exclusive anymore. I dunno though.

They only had a deal for the remake, RE0, and RE4... So past RE4 they were never supposed to be exclusive, but there have been rumors that not even RE4 will be exclusive, though Capcom has denied those rumors, I think...

But companies always deny or don't comment on rumors...

But I doubt RE4 will be on PS2... Maybe the surprise sequel is RE5 which they're working on before RE4 even comes out ;)

BigJustinW
02-11-2004, 11:36 PM
I dont think The game's arguement holds up. Saying a game didnt sell as well as it "should have" is kinda stupid in my mind. Whos to say how well a game should or shouldnt sell? I mean theres plenty of other very high rated games on any platform that just wont sell very well because the General Public dosent pay attention to ratings.[/b]

Metriod is the highest, not just high... plus it was being given away for free. Also, Metriod is a huge licence in the gaming industry.

Also, according to your logic I have no tastes in games because it took me giving Metriod 3 chances for that game to make me crack a smile. I rented it... PURCHASED it (free with GCN... and I completly dispised this game. I rented it again, got a little farter in (forced myself to, because I still hate the first section of the game) then I started to enjoy it.

I believe that anybody who liked Metriod forced themselves to platy further, and the game didn't automatically draw the person in. The only reason I gave metriod that many chances is because of the rating... if I didn't pay attention to ratings I would have blown that game off as crap very fast.

With that said, I don't think that it had dissapointing sales, I think it's just simply over-rated. I accept it as one of two things, a high rated game with disapointing sales, or a over rated game with good sales.

Oh, and on a side note, you can't use my logic in reverse with a game like Matrix. The sales don't set the bar for how good the game should be, the game sets the bar for how good the sales should be. It's a good thing for something to preform past it's expectations, it's a bad thing for great work (if you see it as that) to go un-noticed.

Null
02-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Metriod is the highest, not just high... plus it was being given away for free. Also, Metriod is a huge licence in the gaming industry.

Also, according to your logic I have no tastes in games because it took me giving Metriod 3 chances for that game to make me crack a smile. I rented it... PURCHASED it (free with GCN... and I completly dispised this game. I rented it again, got a little farter in (forced myself to, because I still hate the first section of the game) then I started to enjoy it.

I believe that anybody who liked Metriod forced themselves to platy further, and the game didn't automatically draw the person in. The only reason I gave metriod that many chances is because of the rating... if I didn't pay attention to ratings I would have blown that game off as crap very fast.

With that said, I don't think that it had dissapointing sales, I think it's just simply over-rated. I accept it as one of two things, a high rated game with disapointing sales, or a over rated game with good sales.

Oh, and on a side note, you can't use my logic in reverse with a game like Matrix. The sales don't set the bar for how good the game should be, the game sets the bar for how good the sales should be. It's a good thing for something to preform past it's expectations, it's a bad thing for great work (if you see it as that) to go un-noticed.

*whispers to Game......psssst, when talking about taste, best not to mention a game like matrix :D

;) on a side note, we're not getting into an argument with that game now, im just messin with ya.

Crash
02-12-2004, 12:27 AM
i had to force myself to play final fantasy 7 for two hours before enjoying it.... it is now my favorite game of all time. i like games like that, at first you dont like playing em cause they are different, but then later you realize that different is sooo much better than being the same as everything else.

GameKinG
02-12-2004, 12:35 AM
I had never played a metroid game prior to metroid prime, nor do I hold scores in high regard. The game instantly enthralled me. I just got stuck, and I try not to use guides, but I gave in.

Though, I think not having a Metroid game in years was a large result of less sales, not to mention Japan never really jumped on the metroid boat. Nintendo's games just dont sell as much as last gen. Zelda OOT sold 7+ million last gen, mario 64 sold 9+ million. Yet this gen, both have sold 2+ million (each, not combined).

The number of systems in comparison to N64 at an equal time in both console's life spans is still similar. The attach rate must be less, or they must be buying more 3rd party games (somewhat bitter-sweet)

in reply to RE4 exclusiveness, the deal ends after RE4 (at least if no new deal is made). Now, just cause the deal ends doesnt mean the exclusiveness ends. RE4 will likely be exclusive for a good amount of time, but I easily see a port in some form later on. Killer 7, however, is supposedly going to be ported to PS2 also (though probably best if you can stick with the cube versiob).

in reply to MP low sales, yes, it is unfortunate that such a highly rated game be overlooked, when most, if not all other games in the top 10 for Gamerankings have done well on their own without a bundle. Hopefully, MP2 does better.

Crash
02-12-2004, 02:14 AM
japanese just plain dont like first person games... halo or metroid

Jason1
02-12-2004, 10:33 AM
If it took you that long to like MP, then yes, you do have ****ty tastes in games, The game. And its not overrated.

DeathsHand
02-12-2004, 01:38 PM
If it took you that long to like MP, then yes, you do have ****ty tastes in games, The game. And its not overrated.

People who talk about ****ty tastes in games, movies, music, whatever are dumbasses...

It's just a fancy way of voicing your opinion, only this time it makes you sound more special...

TheGame
02-12-2004, 03:07 PM

lol... not the first time I heard that one. But that's just your opinion. The way I see it, I shouldn't have to work to like a game. That's what metriod did and what FF7 did (props to Crash on the perfect example)

I just don't enjoy that... a game could be good, like both Metriod and FF7, and have me bored to death and confused at first. But I don't like that crap. A weak begining is enough alone to drop a game below a 9.0 in my review book. ;)

Canyarion
05-02-2005, 11:42 AM
realistic zelda? i forsee the future!
Sorry for reviving this old thread.
You think it was indeed the new Zelda?? It HAS to be. :D

GameMaster
05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I thought it was for Wind Waker II. :confused: