PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Not Being Taken Advantage Of

Jonbo298
01-15-2004, 02:39 PM
According to the latest issue of PSM, at a recent PlayStation developers meeting, Sony revealed some research they'd been conducting on the PS2's performance. Sony Europe used what they are calling a "performance analyzer" to examine some of the console's better looking games. They came to the conclusion that most games don't even utilize the PS2's power. In fact, 60% of the games tested only ran at 30 frames per second.

Apparently, the secret (or not so secret) way to unleash the PS2's power is to use its vector units (VUs), which are co-processors designed to aid the much-ballyhooed Emotion Engine with AI or physics for example. Of course, the games that used the VUs fared much better, and the game that scored highest did indeed use the VUs the most. Unfortunately, the title of that game was not disclosed. This unamed title was able to display about twice as many polygons and ran at about 60 fps.

One problem as PSM points out is that "a lot of the games that don't really use vector units are ports from other systems." Now if only Sony can get more and more developers to actually utilize the VUs, PS2 gamers will be a much happier bunch.

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/5111/

Most games that are ported are almost ALWAYS ported from the PS2 to other consoles. The last big game that was ported from other consoles to the PS2 was Splinter Cell.

A big game coming out shortly for PS2 is Sonic Hero's. It runs 60fps on 'Cube and 'Box but on PS2 it runs at 30. I know Sega isn't just gonna half ass it to PS2 since I'm about 100% sure they made it on PS2 first then ported it. Did Sony not tell them "Here's how to use the VU's efficiently so that X game can run as fast and as good as the other 2 consoles".

But enough of my opinion. I feel this article is valid, but I want to see some comparisons of games not using VU's with games using the VU's.

Ace195
01-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Meh... stupid sony...

Dark Samurai
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
so whats your point?

the games still look good on the ps2 even though they're only using 60% of the ps2 power. maybe they're just doing that because the ps2 might blow up in your face or something, i dont know.

Jonbo298
01-15-2004, 05:55 PM
so whats your point?

Companies are lazy. What else is there to say?

Ace195
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Your lazy to jon, If you worked for a company you would do exactly what they did

ominub
01-15-2004, 06:04 PM
This better not be about how much you hate sony because if it is jon im going to be pissed at you!

Dyne
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Haha, that's because 60%... if not MORE... is already shovelware.

Case closed. :p

Heck, even games like SH3 are pushing the PS2. Most people don't give a crap about shovelware..

Jonbo298
01-15-2004, 06:49 PM
This better not be about how much you hate sony because if it is jon im going to be pissed at you!

How is this because I hate Sony? All it is, is news that is interesting. I never stated "I hate Sony so **** much because they aren't pushing every single company to produce the most extravagant looking games ever." All it is is just simple news that the PS2 can do better but some companies aren't trying.

Since I know I'm just gonna cause some MEANINGLESS AND POINTLESS opinions, this is my last reply in this thread since people can't seem to take to the fact that I'm not a MAJOR Sony hater or anything. I don't prefer the PS2 or Xbox, but it doesn't mean I'm a raging Nintendo fanboy.

Good day everyone

Perfect Stu
01-15-2004, 07:03 PM
PS2 games still look beautiful in my eyes...GT4, Ratchet and Clank 2...even ICO is still one of the most STUNNING games I've ever seen.

If games in the next couple years start to look even better (which they probably will) I'm not one to complain.

bobcat
01-16-2004, 08:21 AM
How is this because I hate Sony? All it is, is news that is interesting. I never stated "I hate Sony so damn much because they aren't pushing every single company to produce the most extravagant looking games ever." All it is is just simple news that the PS2 can do better but some companies aren't trying.

Since I know I'm just gonna cause some MEANINGLESS AND POINTLESS opinions, this is my last reply in this thread since people can't seem to take to the fact that I'm not a MAJOR Sony hater or anything. I don't prefer the PS2 or Xbox, but it doesn't mean I'm a raging Nintendo fanboy.

Good day everyone

I COMPLETELY agree Jonbo. Just because you have something like this to say about Sony, people are all like "argh how dare you just accept it it's good!!!!!!!" Seen this many times b4.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
...hater

:p

thatmariolover
04-30-2004, 03:59 PM
That site sounds like a bunch of fanboys that don't know much about specs. I mean, seriously, nearly every person that understands the way the PS2 works also understands that the vector units are key in utilizing power. This is not news.

In all honesty, Sony shouldn't have left it up to the developers to work harder. Sony should have made their system easier to develop for. I mean, you make it easy to develop for once. It's easy from then on. But Sony didn't, and now devs have to struggle with it with every single game engine they write. PS2 has great games, but it was poorly designed and there's no getting around it. The good developers are working through it and doing a good job. But you can't blame the others for giving lackluster graphics.

bobcat
04-30-2004, 09:38 PM
That site sounds like a bunch of fanboys that don't know much about specs. I mean, seriously, nearly every person that understands the way the PS2 works also understands that the vector units are key in utilizing power. This is not news.

In all honesty, Sony shouldn't have left it up to the developers to work harder. Sony should have made their system easier to develop for. I mean, you make it easy to develop for once. It's easy from then on. But Sony didn't, and now devs have to struggle with it with every single game engine they write. PS2 has great games, but it was poorly designed and there's no getting around it. The good developers are working through it and doing a good job. But you can't blame the others for giving lackluster graphics.

That's a very logical and good point.

GT News
04-30-2004, 09:38 PM

That's a very logical and good point.

A logical and good point is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfect Stu
05-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Lower-end companies can stick with PC games...overcoming challenge (PS2 architecture) reaps reward (insanely large userbase, potential million game seller). The PS2 is a unique architecture...it's a different technology. I'm not saying "tougher to develop for = good", I'm just saying Sony invested a lot of money into this type of tech, they wanted something different/ambitious, and I dont think anyone can really argue that it's been a bad thing.

PS2 was released to the public in March 2000...a full year and a half before GC/XBX...and it's still pumping out quality, good-looking games that are comparable to similar GC/XBX offerings. If they'd used Microsoft's exact tech, only a year and a half older, I'm betting we'd see a huge (worse)difference in PS2 graphics compared to XBox's

thatmariolover
05-01-2004, 06:18 PM
PS2 was released to the public in March 2000...a full year and a half before GC/XBX...and it's still pumping out quality, good-looking games that are comparable to similar GC/XBX offerings. If they'd used Microsoft's exact tech, only a year and a half older, I'm betting we'd see a huge (worse)difference in PS2 graphics compared to XBox's

Indeed, it's true that a system developed the way Xbox or GC were, using the technology available at the time the PS2 launched, would have looked very lackluster. However, I do think that Sony was a little over anxious to get the pig to the market. They had a big head start and they could have waited a bit in order to make their technology more accessable. Yes, I think they should have stuck with the Vector Processing Units, as that was the only way to utilize the futuristic abilities at the time. But they could have made it more developer friendly to tap them. It would have taken a few more months of development time and would have been great.

At this point, I've heard that the dev tools have been improving significantly. But if people are still having trouble they need to do even more. PS2 is a great system, and it's not like it's hurting (obviously); but why not take a great thing and make it even better?

MuGen
05-01-2004, 10:53 PM
It's the developers choice to make, if they choose to take the easy way out and run it at 30fps and not utilize the PS2's power, then they are just lazy as stated above.

The unnamed title that was tested at 60fps and using PS2's VPU Emotion Engine was probably a great game by most people's opinions. But no one really pays attention to specs when it comes to gaming. It's either a great game or not...

Basically... when the PS3 comes out (and I highly believe, BEFORE the Xbox2 and Nintendo's new system) they should emphasize the importance of designing games under their unique technology, so that their games would look much better. Of course the ps2 did ship before xbox and gamecube, it's almost as if the PS2 serves as a BETA Test for the other companies ('cept for Nintendo since they've been the industry to ages).... PS2 was a test run for Microsoft, and they did their homework and release a better system when it shipped.

PS2 will always serve as the better host of Games of Higher Play.

Games of Higher Play : definition = Games that consist of gameplay worth more than a day and with an actual story. Flight sims, RPG's, and even sports games can have interesting stories. So basically... PS2 harbors the better games overall, and Xbox and Gamecube harbors the better games in graphics...ASIDE from Ninja Gaiden which was a HELL of a game...

thatmariolover
05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
PS2 will always serve as the better host of Games of Higher Play.

Games of Higher Play : definition = Games that consist of gameplay worth more than a day and with an actual story. Flight sims, RPG's, and even sports games can have interesting stories. So basically... PS2 harbors the better games overall, and Xbox and Gamecube harbors the better games in graphics...ASIDE from Ninja Gaiden which was a HELL of a game...

I seriously disagree with that. Xbox and Gamecube both have games that are on par with anything on PS2. PS2 has a larger userbase and larger devbase and therefore more games. It's as simple as that. Sony could be having way more GREAT games if they would have made development easier. But they didn't. Sure, some of these guys are lazy and sloppy developers. But if you make it easy enough, even they can make really good games. You can say "tough, learn how to code", but in the end you're just shooting yourself in the foot and screwing yourself out of more A titles.

MuGen
05-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm not saying Gamecube and Xbox misses out on the WHOLE thing.... I'm saying Ps2 just has more titles with that "Umph"

Let's think of this as a metaphor...

Xbox is a huge muscle car, all acceleration (graphics) and no top speed (games with depth). But with a little tuning, it can get that speed. (Games are looking better for Xbox in the 2004 (Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden...etc.)

PS2 is a speed demon from the ports of Japan, and is one of those speed demons that have a unique motor and will take a little more adjusting to get the right ratios we want. It has the speed already but it needs the power. But to get that power, things will need to be adjusted. Which is why the later model of this speed demon from Japan will be more accessible! (YAY! PS3)

Nintendo is a Nissan Skyline GT-R Vspec II R34... which basically is a car with acceleration and games with depth, but it packs up too early. (Release Mario and Luigi games, then a Smash Brothers and off the market they go)
They haven't done it with Gamecube so far, so they are headed in the right direction.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
lol, and the N-gage is the bicycle with a seat missing, which makes riding it a pain in the ***

MuGen
05-02-2004, 03:01 AM
lol... the N-Gage is a Bicycle with training wheels. And streams representing all the hype that goes on about NOTHING.