PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando Impressions...LORDY LORDY

Perfect Stu
01-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Got the game for X-Mas

played it for the first time today...

I guess I can put it this way:

-I loved the first Ratchet and Clank game. About 1:30 into Going Commando, I can already tell that it is noticeably superior in every aspect.

Upgradable weapons gives you the sense of "this weapon isn't quite powerful enough anymore", and then you get the upgrade, your character just feels that much more powerful, creating more destruction than ever.

Humor. It's back...the writers at Insomniac again create some hilariously witty cutscenes.

Controls are spot on, I hadn't played R&C for a long time but I picked this thing up and was into it in no time.

Gadgets are back and used more effectively. The tractor beam has some serious potential.

Graphics are simply gorgeous...the colors are breathtaking, animation is silky smooth. Just fantastic.

If you have a PS2, at LEAST give this game a rent. It's a platform game with heavy influence on shooting combat. There are RPG elements, and occasional flight combat ala Star Fox. Some fantastic voice acting and characters, creative ideas (gravity boots, for example) and effective level design.

Grade: A

-I'll work on some Prince of Persia impressions soon...

Vampyr
01-08-2004, 07:41 PM
I also got it for Christmas. It is a very savvy game.

The Germanator
01-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Humor. It's back...the writers at Insomniac again create some hilariously witty cutscenes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first Ratchet and Clank (own the second, will play soon) but I thought the humor in the game was pretty silly...I really don't think they're doing anything spectacular with the writing, it was all pretty standard stuff unless Going Commando is 10x funnier or something...

Perfect Stu
01-11-2004, 04:26 PM
well Germy, the stuff isn't Grade A comedy, but it's comic relief and doesn't feel forced and it fits in with the characters and story perfectly. It's like a cartoon...nothing spectacular, but games these days don't have ENOUGH humour in them IMO.

The Germanator
01-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Ok, I agree with you then on that more detalied description...At least I know they are trying.