PDA

View Full Version : New Forum

Bond
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
This is a new forum where I would like you to post suggestions that you think would improve GameTavern. I'm not sure how long this forum will stick around; it will probably depend on the level of input.

-Bond

DarkMaster
10-08-2003, 07:59 PM
A new design. That would brighten things up.

CrOnO_LiNk
10-08-2003, 08:13 PM
A new design. That would brighten things up.

I agree. I really miss the black and red design. It was... chill... like a starbucks kick back forum....... Riiighhhhttt....

I recommend doing something like that... I have my own forum and change the design every once and then, and if you need help, I am always here.

Good luck, Bond. :handball:

Dyne
10-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Yeah, let's go back to the "tavern" feel.

Jonbo298
10-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Maybe putting the Calendar to more use? Like if we were to have more tournaments often, we could post them up. Or if the site was to be down for a reason, Neo or someone else could post the date it will be down.

Right now the Calendar is just kind of meh.

GameMaster
10-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Get rid of the reputation, I think it's annoying.

I liked the monetary doubloon system where we could save up to buy certain things like name changes, custom titles, access to cool sections of the site, etc.

I'd also like it if you could bring the colored stars back, the ones we're using right now are really boring.

Maybe a new ranking system for everyone except the people with custom titles. The one we have right now is kind of random and really has nothing to do with video gaming.

I also agreee with the others on the red/black theme we used to have along with the old logo.

Dyne
10-09-2003, 01:38 AM
If some things were changed about rep (amount you can give, and so on), I would say keep it. It's fine the way it is, but it's too easy to get raped in such a short amount of time. But otherwise, I think it has really patched up the forums--it's good to have a system like this to show people not to be dumbasses, and to promote intelligence. I like that.

DarkMaster
10-09-2003, 12:42 PM
If some things were changed about rep (amount you can give, and so on), I would say keep it. It's fine the way it is, but it's too easy to get raped in such a short amount of time. But otherwise, I think it has really patched up the forums--it's good to have a system like this to show people not to be dumbasses, and to promote intelligence. I like that.
It shows nothing. It doesnt promote intelligence, it promotes misbehaviour and abuse, and it causes annoyance.

People with high rep have a high post count. It doesnt mean a damn thing.

Crono
10-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Getting rid of rep and giving the forums a new design would make GT a lot better. I'm kind of sick of blue and grey, and the old red and black was really cool.

Bond
10-09-2003, 02:19 PM
The "new beta skin" is now available in your user cp under Options and then Style Set. Codenamed "Child of gekko art."

Blackmane
10-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Gecko color scheme.

It's A'ight

But I did like dbln's much better than rep.

GameMaster
10-09-2003, 11:23 PM
It shows nothing. It doesnt promote intelligence, it promotes misbehaviour and abuse, and it causes annoyance.

Agreed.

But the high reputation/high post count relation exists only because we converted our doubloon savings so that people didn't feel completely ripped off earning all those doubloons for nothing.

But the staff didn't have doubloon accounts so how they automatically received 10-11 reputation pips is beyond me? :confused:

CrOnO_LiNk
10-10-2003, 12:05 AM
The "new beta skin" is now available in your user cp under Options and then Style Set. Codenamed "Child of gekko art."

I like this better, but it can be way better.

For the window that has the Forum, Posts, Threads, Last Post. and Moderator written on it, change that to red instead of leaving it as blue.

And the yellow link fonts, that looks bad.

And Bond, here's my test forum...

http://tactocsogre.proboards9.com/index.cgi

No one's a member there because that's my test forum. My real board has 800+ members with more boards and looks exactly like my test forum.... (I am not advertising, that's why I linked my test forum).

Anyways, do you like that look? It's not 100% complete yet, we still have to finish the icons and a few banners.

Dyne
10-10-2003, 01:21 AM

... When you are abused. I give negative reputation to people who are dumbasses. It does not work on a large scale, but with the right scaling, it will work. And unsyncing post count could be a good idea, too.

This is VB3 beta for a reason. You can not expect anything to be perfect.

Crono
10-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Well rep is still pointless. Who really cares about it? Not me. We don't even need any more of this rep/dbln crap, it's just another way to seperate yourself from others, which isn't good.

Blackmane
10-10-2003, 01:46 PM
I like this better, but it can be way better.

For the window that has the Forum, Posts, Threads, Last Post. and Moderator written on it, change that to red instead of leaving it as blue.

And the yellow link fonts, that looks bad.

And Bond, here's my test forum...

http://tactocsogre.proboards9.com/index.cgi

No one's a member there because that's my test forum. My real board has 800+ members with more boards and looks exactly like my test forum.... (I am not advertising, that's why I linked my test forum).

Anyways, do you like that look? It's not 100% complete yet, we still have to finish the icons and a few banners.

I like the style, but it is too dark overall, and it is very difficult to read much of anything. I would recommend getting a brighter color for the text, like white or something really close.

Rndm_Perfection
10-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Rep is only an illusion to feel self-security. By getting good feedback from members, one feels wanted. Just because one has a bunch of pips, he/she feels loved. Oh yes, you - Dyne - should know what I'm taking about. It's the same reason you make banners for other newbies in bulk. You want your influence spread, and you enjoy pleasing others with your talents (not necessarily a bad thing).

Trying to give the excuse that rep is a way of telling people they are "dumbasses" is ridiculous, in my opinion. It's much more public and impossible to hide one's identity if the person plainly state his/her opinion on the board rather than docking the other on reputation.

It's impossible for reputation to be abused, according to what you feel is the system's purpose, Dyne. It can only be abused if the system is a way to make elitist members feel self-secure. In that sense, members of almost no value can lower another's to near nill for little reason, and inflict severe emotional pain (as seen by GameMaster and Dylflon). However, if the system's purpose was merely for one member to tell another that he/she did something wrong... then no-one should care how many pips he/she has, as it would mean absolutely nothing. That's not the case though...

I don't care if reputation stays or goes, but I realize that it does not promote intelligence. I've seen fairly intelligent people become immature and have mini emotional breakdowns, therefor lowering their true reputation in my eyes. Reputation is more than a few pips, it's how much the crowd likes you. Reputation can never be measured accurately in a freakin' gaming forum!

Still fun to screw with though.

mickydaniels
10-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Rep is only an illusion to feel self-security. By getting good feedback from members, one feels wanted. Just because one has a bunch of pips, he/she feels loved.

:rofl:

CrOnO_LiNk
10-10-2003, 05:57 PM
I like the style, but it is too dark overall, and it is very difficult to read much of anything. I would recommend getting a brighter color for the text, like white or something really close.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did change the font. It's been beige for a long time now in the real forum. It looks much better. There are other add-ons as well in the real forum, but the test one looks similar.

Thanks.

Bond
10-10-2003, 09:17 PM
I think the beta skin is looking pretty good.

The only thing that needs to be fixed is the buttons. And also whether we should use arial or verdana.

Dyne
10-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Rep is only an illusion to feel self-security. By getting good feedback from members, one feels wanted. Just because one has a bunch of pips, he/she feels loved. Oh yes, you - Dyne - should know what I'm taking about. It's the same reason you make banners for other newbies in bulk. You want your influence spread, and you enjoy pleasing others with your talents (not necessarily a bad thing).

Trying to give the excuse that rep is a way of telling people they are "dumbasses" is ridiculous, in my opinion. It's much more public and impossible to hide one's identity if the person plainly state his/her opinion on the board rather than docking the other on reputation.

It's impossible for reputation to be abused, according to what you feel is the system's purpose, Dyne. It can only be abused if the system is a way to make elitist members feel self-secure. In that sense, members of almost no value can lower another's to near nill for little reason, and inflict severe emotional pain (as seen by GameMaster and Dylflon). However, if the system's purpose was merely for one member to tell another that he/she did something wrong... then no-one should care how many pips he/she has, as it would mean absolutely nothing. That's not the case though...

I don't care if reputation stays or goes, but I realize that it does not promote intelligence. I've seen fairly intelligent people become immature and have mini emotional breakdowns, therefor lowering their true reputation in my eyes. Reputation is more than a few pips, it's how much the crowd likes you. Reputation can never be measured accurately in a freakin' gaming forum!

Still fun to screw with though.

I knew I went against your grain beliefs, but you don't have to metaphorically poke me in the eye. :p

We're a reputational notch above Gamefaqs. What we're not is a "Freakin' gaming forum". I've been to a lot worse; I've moderated a lot worse. I can tell we have got some literate people here, and we shouldn't go to waste as "just another freaking gaming forum". With that kind of mentality, we could drive ourselves into the ground.

Reputation or not.. the hack has potential, but obviously not here. Screw it if you want. Don't accuse me over it because I said it could happen. It's better than nothing... and a fun feature, like you said. And again, still in beta stage. Neo edited it from it's first form, it can be edited once more--or taken out, as it's wished. Existentially, I'm still going to create sigs and craft posts the same way I always have, with tons of room for improvement, obviously.

ZebraRampage
10-11-2003, 11:30 AM
I think the beta skin is looking pretty good.

The only thing that needs to be fixed is the buttons. And also whether we should use arial or verdana.

Hey Bond, I like the beta skin too. And I noticed that you changed the text color to white, and you took off the blue that was used. I like this and it is easier on my eyes.

Blackmane
10-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey Bond, I like the beta skin too. And I noticed that you changed the text color to white, and you took off the blue that was used. I like this and it is easier on my eyes.

Yes, I agree. I like simply gray, white, and red. It is a good color scheme.

Vampyr
10-11-2003, 12:12 PM
I just found this thread, and checked out the "Child of Gekko" color scheme. All I can say is wow. This is what GameTavern was meant to look like.