PDA

View Full Version : Limbaugh on McNabb...

MasterMind
10-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN on Wednesday night, three days after sparking outrage by saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

Read full article here.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-mcnabb-limbaugh&prov=ap&type=lgns

What are you thoughts on his comments and how do you feel about it? Racist?

What would happen if someone like Michael Irvin (who Limbaugh works with) felt the same way and said something like this?

Is it wrong for a black person to say something like this?
Is it wrong for a black person to call a white QB overrated?

I don't think race is even considered an issue with these questions. And they would be the same circumstances.

I know racial issues can get intense sometimes, but here I think this should have never happened.

I think McNabb is a good QB, but I haven't seen enough Philly football to say whether McNabb is the real deal or not. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, especially with the racist issue. I think there is some truth to what Limbaugh says about McNabb. Sure McNabb is good, but is he really that good to get so much hype? So far it seems like Limbaugh would be correct. All players have their bad games, and lets hope that McNabb can prove Limbaugh wrong over the course of the season.

Rndm_Perfection
10-02-2003, 09:14 AM
What ever happened to freedom of speach?

mickydaniels
10-02-2003, 10:36 AM
I saw the thing live and thought nothing of it other than he thought McNabb is overrated. The other guys on the show heard it and responded to the fact that he was calling the guy overrated.
Boy, does the truth bite. The fact is that everyone does want to see more black coaches. That's why everyone is FORCED to interview a few minority candidates, even when they know they have no shot, like the incident with the Lions.

Personally, I prefer the "mobile" aka "black" quarterbacks like Elway, Young, Brunell (early years), McNair, Vick, McNabb. They've got an extra way to beat you. The more weapons you have on your team. the more ways you have to win.
Even though I'm black myself, maybe it's because I'm a first generation American

Ma's because I'm a 1st generation American. But the blacks in this country have suffered tremendously psychologically as a result of slavery and all that has transpired since. It ain't nothing but a joke. Everyone has their opinions on players, just like on The Best Damn Sports Show Period, they continually bash Vince Carter, because the only thing he ever did was win a slam dunk contest. Anything that comes out of a white person's mouth must be appealing, and they're constantly looking to find hidden meanings. Why? Because it's always been them who've done the most to hurt them. So, like anyone who knows their history does, they're on the lookout to make sure it doesn't happen again. Really sucks.

The Germanator
10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
I don't think there should have been as big of deal for what he said, but I still think he's wrong. The Eagles would not have gone to two NFC championship games without McNabb, plain and simple. He claims that the defense carried the team. Sure, the defense has been outstanding, but points don't just go on the board by themselves. I think I remember a year when McNabb had something like 70% of the team's total offense, if you have to carry that much burden for the offense as he has in the past, he deserves the credit he gets. He had two ****ty games and all of a sudden he's the worst quarterback in the world...People and the media like quarterbacks who win, and he happens to be one of them, black or white.

Edit: And I'm glad that he resigned, nobody disses my QB and gets away with it. :)

Perfect Stu
10-02-2003, 11:44 AM
His comments were blown way out of proportion because he mentioned McNabb's skin color. I blame the tight-assed media. They made Rush out to be some kind of racist monster.

His comments were justified...he thought the media WANTED TO SEE A BLACK QUARTERBACK DO WELL. And I agree with him on that...only McNabb has done well, although not as well as most people think IMO. McNabb is slightly overrated IMO, but I don't know if that's because of his race. Hard to say, really.

I respect Rush's brutal honesty. He had the balls to say what was on his mind. 'Policital Correctness' sucks ass.

mickydaniels
10-02-2003, 11:53 AM
His comments were blown way out of proportion because he mentioned McNabb's skin color. I blame the tight-assed media. They made Rush out to be some kind of racist monster.

His comments were justified...
'Policital Correctness' sucks ass.

And it's all because of Limbaugh's skin color.

Professor S
10-02-2003, 11:56 AM
You have to think about the fact that the Eagles had a better winning percentage without McNabb than with him last year:

With MCNabb: 8-4 66.6% winning
Without McNabb: 5-1 83.3% winning

Now there were a lot of other factors to consider, I'm sure, but the numbers are the numbers.

Its not that I think that Mcnabb isn't a great quarterback, but he isn't the quarterback for Reed's system. Reed runs a in the pocket possession throwing game. To do this you need to be accurate, which McNabb has NEVER been ecept for the game where he broke his leg.

McNabb is a playmaker. He is an athletic quarterback who makes things happen when he is either running the ball or threatening to run and then passing. He is not a pocket passer and his numbers reflect that. Both his completion percentage and quarterback rating are better outside the pocket than in it. Reed's system does not take advantage of this. So either McNabb's got to go, or Reed.

As for Limbaugh, I don't think it was a racist argument, I just think he was wrong. The NFL wants MARKETABLE quarterbacks, not necessarily black quarterbacks to succeed. McNair is a much better quarterback than McNabb, but he's not as marketable so he just quietly does his job without the national fanfare. If the NFL wanted to push black quarterbacks, they would have chosen him.

Jason1
10-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Racist? Hell yes, Rush Limbaugh is nothing but a racist peice of ****.

Professor S
10-02-2003, 08:16 PM

Oh good lord. Conservative does not = racist. Don't let your political alliances motivate your feelings on race.

Please provide some form of proof to that accusation before slandering someone. And no, I'm not a Limbaugh fan, he's too conservative even for me and I don't like his religious ramblings in political contexts.

RagedHybrid
10-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Please Rush is kick ass.

It pisses me off that everyone is going nuts about this. McNabb is not doing too great this season and he is stating that but usually what he is saying is true.

What he was stating also was not Racist. Even McNabb himself said that he did not consider that comment racist and he ddin't expect an apology but he thinks that statement shouldn't have been said since it's talking about how much he sucks this season.

and i don't undertsand how a Black person can make fun of white guys all they want and then when i white guy make a comment about blacks the media goes crazy.

this is a f***ed up world and Rush just got screwed for speaking his mind. Remember it's "COMMENTARY," that means his opinions so if you don't like his opinion well then F*** off.

Professor S
10-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Just because someone discusses race has a factor in something, that does not make that argument racist. What Limbaugh said was that the NFL wanted a black quarterback to succeed because of the stereotype that black quarterbacks are not good. It was a comment about the NFL, not black people.

But hey, a white guy used the word "black" in a sentence, so therefore he must be racist.:rolleyes: Is that the point that we've come to in this country? Has race become so volatile that even a mention of another race by a white person equals social judgement without trial or even logic skills?

I hope that Rush does not roll with this, but since he resigned I think he will. He should fight this tooth and nail. Someone needs to bring some sense into the world.

Perfect Stu
10-02-2003, 10:10 PM
All signs point to Rush being forced to resign. ESPN doesn't want this taken any further...

It's a shame, really.

Bond
10-03-2003, 10:30 AM
LOL. You think Rush is racist? Maybe you should look at yourself...

In any case, the media tends to blow any "racist" comment out of proportion. Eventually it will balance out like everything else.

Professor S
10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
LOL. You think Rush is racist? Maybe you should look at yourself...

In any case, the media tends to blow any "racist" comment out of proportion. Eventually it will balance out like everything else.

Bond, its the common liberal falacy. All condservatives are "evil" and therefore they must be racist so therefore any comment out of their mouths with the term "black" in it must be a racist remark.

Like what Xantar said, many liberals are taking themselves out of the game. Many, like that doofus (but funny doofus) Al Franken, like to paint themselves as White Knights trying to save the world from the dastardly conservative menace.:rolleyes:

A little advice: STOP TAKING POLITICS PERSONALLY. It makes liberals look like children. Do you think having a liberal in office will change anything? Look at Clinton. He ran as a liberal, but once in office he adopted a middle middle of the road policies, and even some republican ones, after his national health insurance program was shot down in flames. Why? Because that was what the right thing was. Having a liberal president won't change the world or even our country because we have checks and balances. Idealism will always be shot down in favor of compromise. Get used to it.

Oh yeah, what were we talking about again?:D