PDA

View Full Version : Christian Metal

jeepnut
09-26-2003, 05:53 PM
I was wondering what the concensus was on Christian Metal. A more detailed explanation of the poll options follows:

1. You like it, obviously.

2. You don't think that metal should be used as a tool to praise God.

3. You don't think metal has any place in Christianity since it is "A music of the devil".

Feel free to elaborate on your opinions.

I personally love the stuff as you can see from my avatar. I think it's great that there is great music in this genre that I can listen to without feeling like I'm seriously compromising my beliefs.

Ginkasa
09-26-2003, 06:21 PM
I personally don't consider "metal" music as much as it is a bunch of guys screaming like idiots. But I don't consider it "Satan" or anything so if somebody finds the best way for him to praise God is to scream his lungs out then so be it. I don't care.

And since there's not a choice up there for my opinion, I didn't vote.

*shrugs and walks away*

Bond
09-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Some of it is alright. I really prefer Christian folk and rock music. That stuff is really good.

jeepnut
09-27-2003, 03:36 AM
I personally don't consider "metal" music as much as it is a bunch of guys screaming like idiots. But I don't consider it "Satan" or anything so if somebody finds the best way for him to praise God is to scream his lungs out then so be it. I don't care.

And since there's not a choice up there for my opinion, I didn't vote.

*shrugs and walks away*

I thought of putting an "I don't care" option on there, but I figured it would make more sense just for those who don't care not to vote. Hope this is ok with everyone.

Kitana85
09-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Though I do prefer traditional Xian music, and folk, I do see a place foir metel/punk xtian music. Groups such as "Last Tuesday" really open it up to some of the teens who really adore that kind of music. I'm not saying that I feel it belongs in church, but hey, if it makes people happy, why not.
And hey, if you are into that type of music, but not into Xtian music, then there's no problem, these groups are seldom played on mainstream radio anyhow :)

Jason1
09-27-2003, 06:50 PM
I think any music that's labeled christian is damn stupid. They smack the word around like its nothing, and it dosent change the music any, still garbage usually.

"we're a Christian metal/punk/rock/whatevah/ band!"

which means?

"we're........Christian?"

which makes your band different from a non-christian band how?

"..."

Ginkasa
09-27-2003, 07:01 PM
which makes your band different from a non-christian band how?

They sing about Christ and God and such... That's it.

*shrugs and walks away*

Professor S
09-27-2003, 07:06 PM
I've never heard Christian metal before, but then again I don't like religious music outside of Christmas Carols, but then again I don't believe in organized religion either. So there you have it.

DimHalo
09-28-2003, 03:23 AM
I think it is awesome that people who feel strongly about their beliefs can listen to awesome music at the same time. And it is even cooler that the music sends such a cool message without having to use harsh language.

WiseMan
09-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Religion needs to stay at least 10 yards away from metal at all times.

TheGame
09-29-2003, 11:44 AM
I like Christain Metal... and Christain Rap. Hmm, I like anything that gives off a good message.

I've noticed that in the last few years the production quality of the music has increased a lot.

Kitana85
09-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Religion needs to stay at least 10 yards away from metal at all times.

I'm asking this sincerely, not judgementally... why do you are if there is xtian metal? no one is making you listen to it. is it the princecipal of the thing...or do you just not like religion..or...what?

Rndm_Perfection
09-29-2003, 07:15 PM
I voted to keep religion out of my metal. While I respect artists' decisions to speak of God in their lyrics, and tell stories of such, I would never personally buy a CD that will try to preach to me as I listen to music.

Hard metal music, though appropriate at times, was not intended for religious songs. Industrial music (a segment of metal) uses very deep themes, and God is often mentioned... however, the lyrics manage to fit the mood of the song. Actually, it's the song that fits the lyrics.

Christian Metal, I believe, was made to stretch the mighty hand of the "Xtian" music genre and therefor get more listeners... and ultimately more money for the church, which God can always seem to provide when enough zeal is put forth ¦¬Þ. What I'm saying, is that religious lyrics (ones that speak directly of morals and the path to righteousness) don't necessarily demand the beats of metal. Rather, metal is selected as a "canvas" for the lyrics so that it'll sell better.

I don't feel you have to listen to Christian music to show loyalty to your religion. If you feel otherwise, how can Christian Metal feel appealing, when metal is highly... "frowned upon" by many of the strict-religious types? I'm not trying to start too much confusion, really. It's just, do you really listen to the music for the words, or for the beat? If for the words, why not just listen to more fitting music to the message? If for the beat... why not find albums that have much more appropriate lyrics (not necessarily about killing people, heh)

... Oh, I also suggest you check out Megaherz (http://megaherz.com/en/lyrics) (translates - Mega Heart). Not quite Christian Metal, but it does have really interesting themes (check lyrics). These lyrics (http://megaherz.com/en/lyrics/himmelfahrt/9), for example. I played that song in English and provided lyrics as part of a project. It freaked people out, wooohg ¦¬Þ

Seth
09-29-2003, 07:56 PM
I dunno really.

To me it doesn't seem right to play certain music in the church. Why are you playing/listening to it? To glorify your creator or for your own pleasure?

There's a line when it comes to this. 'Christian rock bands' don't seem much different than any other secular bands? When asked why they play the music and act the way they do, "It's because we want to reach out to an audience that normally wouldn't listen to christian beliefs."

But, as Christians we're supposed to set ourselves apart from the world and the way that the world acts. We're supposed to be good examples of Christ. So, when non christians look at the way a lot of these christian metal bands act and the music they play....what sets these people apart from us(secular audience). The music is the same(although usually not as good :) ) and from their first impression...they don't seem like christians. The people that play christian rock aren't bad people....I think it's good that they're "trying" to win people to christ through music...but it almost seems like they're doing it the wrong way. It's hard to get any spiritual uplifting when you can't interpret the screamed lyrics. In most cases the message is lost with the beat and the atmosphere.