PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Isabel

ZebraRampage
09-18-2003, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet. Anyway, my power was out for 3 hours tonight, and it pissed me off. It's still raining really hard here and I expect that by tomorrow morning there will be a few inches of rain on the ground.

DimHalo
09-18-2003, 11:54 PM
here's a picture

ZebraRampage
09-19-2003, 12:07 AM
here's a picture

Wow that is an awesome pic, you can see just where the edge of the hurricane is. That would be neat to see for real.

GameMaster
09-19-2003, 12:23 AM
No hurricanes let alone rain here in California yet. Ho hum, I wish there was, I like rainy days.

Seth
09-19-2003, 01:37 AM
I'd rather have hurricanes than earthquakes.

One Winged Angel
09-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Earthquakes are better, most of the earthquakes are very weak, and do very little damage.

The major earthquakes are very ****ing bad though.

Vampyr
09-19-2003, 06:55 AM
here's a picture

That is awesome.

Anyway, Im not close enough to actually get any of the bad stuff from the hurricane, although I will probably be getting some rain in the next couple days.

Happydude
09-19-2003, 09:11 AM
bah...its been raining here ni toronto all night and morning...stupid hurricane.

mickydaniels
09-19-2003, 09:42 AM
The edge of the hurricane knocked off some tree branches here pretty good. The wind kept me up all night too.

Kitana85
09-19-2003, 10:29 AM
They cancelled classes!!! All of York, Lancaster and the surrounding counties are totally shut down! Power was out for 6 hours!

JustSumGamerGuy
09-19-2003, 11:05 AM
=-D Yay i luv that hurricane what a good excuse not to go to skool ! =-D Hope we get another one soon

Stonecutter
09-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Did anyone see the footage of Bryan Williams and that Weather Channel guy last night. MSNBC, CNBC, Conan O'Brian and a bunch of other people kept showing it over and over. It was hi-****ing-larious Williams looks like spiderman clinging to the wall and the weather channel guy literally got blown down the street.

ZebraRampage
09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm so pissed...my power went out again at 3:37AM, and it didn't come back on till 4:00 PM. Today was annoying, and hot, and boring.

Happydude
09-19-2003, 05:36 PM
power didnt go out here...yet...hopefully it wont go out later either.

Rndm_Perfection
09-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Did anyone see the footage of Bryan Williams and that Weather Channel guy last night. MSNBC, CNBC, Conan O'Brian and a bunch of other people kept showing it over and over. It was hi-****ing-larious Williams looks like spiderman clinging to the wall and the weather channel guy literally got blown down the street.

:lol: I saw the lady holding onto a street light and a big planter pot... that was enough humor for me.

Jason1
09-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Everyone's calling it a hurricane, but I believe it was downgraded to a tropical storm before it ever got to the east coast...I could be wrong on that though...my point is there's been a lot worse that have came before...Isable is nothing compared to some

Joeiss
09-20-2003, 12:13 AM
It got downgraded to a tropical storm, and then I believe it got downgraded again to whatever is just a bit less than a tropical storm.

MasterMind
09-20-2003, 12:41 AM
I was watching some show where they said that the news media is making this seem a lot worse then it really is.

Most of the clips of people being in strong winds are only because the people are standing in areas that create a wind tunnel. For instance I saw a clip on Leno where a news reporter was being blown around, but when he moved about 15 feet to the side, he was able to stand straight and it didn't even look that windy. The reason was he was out of the wind tunnel created by buildings and what not. Guess the news just needs some good footage to get viewers.

GameKinG
09-20-2003, 01:17 AM
I was watching the movie Earthquake today. Not that it has anything to do with this hurricane. But its a cool movie.

Kitana85
09-20-2003, 01:51 AM
It got downgraded to a tropical storm, and then I believe it got downgraded again to whatever is just a bit less than a tropical storm.

Hmm, not sure about that. When it got to Pennsylvania, it was considered a level 2 hurricane... and judging from all the fallen trees and a few smashed cars, I guess it makes sense.

Joeiss
09-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Well, thats just what I heard from the news. Maybe they lied.

ZebraRampage
09-21-2003, 10:37 AM
I AM SO ****ING PISSED AGAIN. MY POWER WENT OUT AGAIN AT 5:45PM ON FRIDAY AND IT JUST CAME BACK ON AT 10:15 ON SUNDAY MORNING. Ahh......but at least I survived. Twasn't fun though, boring as hell, and very uncomfortable, because of the heat. I'm just glad it's back.

Oh, and sorry about the yelling, I was just venting I guess. I feel much better now. Plus I can eat food that I can actually cook. :burger:

The Germanator
09-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah...My power was gone from 4 am Friday morning until about now. Pretty crappy with no running water, and all that other stuff, bleh. Three trees fell in our yard alone.

Ginkasa
09-21-2003, 06:34 PM
here's a picture

That's not a picture of Hurricane Isabel and probably not a picture of a hurricane at all.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/isabel.asp

Its still a real pic of a real storm though, and is still pretty neat. Just not Isabel.

*shrugs and walks away*

Happydude
09-21-2003, 09:11 PM
it sais that that's isabel...

*shrugs and walks away*

DeathsHand
09-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Our power just came on... It went out around 5PM on Thursday... There was a wire in a tree going SPARK SPARK BURN BURN SMOKE SMOKE then eventually it went BOOM! And there went the power... 76 hours, no electricity... >_<

"I was watching some show where they said that the news media is making this seem a lot worse then it really is."

Well, mastermind, I wasn't able to watch any of the news coverage, but I heard some stuff on the radio... Tons of people without power, some without clean water, worst flooding in DC in at least 30 years...

And I don't think it was downgraded to a tropical storm until after it hit land...

Of course it's not the worst hurricane to hit the US, but it's the worst storm to hit DC in some time...

Jason1
09-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Our power just came on... It went out around 5PM on Thursday... There was a wire in a tree going SPARK SPARK BURN BURN SMOKE SMOKE then eventually it went BOOM! And there went the power... 76 hours, no electricity... >_<

"I was watching some show where they said that the news media is making this seem a lot worse then it really is."

Well, mastermind, I wasn't able to watch any of the news coverage, but I heard some stuff on the radio... Tons of people without power, some without clean water, worst flooding in DC in at least 30 years...

And I don't think it was downgraded to a tropical storm until after it hit land...

Of course it's not the worst hurricane to hit the US, but it's the worst storm to hit DC in some time...

76 Hours!!??? Ouch. Ours was out for 48 a few winters ago, and I thought that was bad...Thank god we have a Natural Gas fireplace....

Ginkasa
09-21-2003, 10:45 PM
it sais that that's isabel...

*shrugs and walks away*

1) Did you read the part after the pictures? It explains that they aren't actually from Isabel.

2) Don't ever do that again :mad2:

*shrugs and walks away*

*I'll be watching*

Happydude
09-21-2003, 11:48 PM
1) Did you read the part after the pictures? It explains that they aren't actually from Isabel.

2) Don't ever do that again :mad2:

*shrugs and walks away*

*I'll be watching*
ahh...i read it now :p

but its still cool...

*shrugs and goes to sleep* :D

DimHalo
09-22-2003, 12:06 AM
That's not a picture of Hurricane Isabel and probably not a picture of a hurricane at all.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/isabel.asp

Its still a real pic of a real storm though, and is still pretty neat. Just not Isabel.

*shrugs and walks away*

eh, oh well... i thought it was a cool pic anyway. one of the wives of my dad's co-worker sent it to me.

Kitana85
09-22-2003, 09:11 AM
its snopes.. snopes is the urban legend page...

Ginkasa
09-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah... They prove and disprove various urban legends and other such things..

Like this picture which they proved was not Isabel...

*shrugs and walks away*

marionette
10-04-2003, 09:24 AM
I know it is kinda late to reply to this, and that I haven't posted in ages, but Isable hit Virginia beach and North Carolina pretty hard. Only 5% of the south eastern coast of Virginia had power...I was one of those lucky 5%. There were tons of power lines down and whatnot. The people who didn't have power didn't have it for 5-6 days. We were out of school from wednesday to the following thursday, and that was only a half day. So ya, I'd agree with local forcasters and say it was the strongest storm that has hit Virginia Beach in around a decade.

As I said, my family was one of the lucky ones. There was 8 of us and two dogs in the house, and we didn't lose power, cable, or phone once like the rest of the city did. I think we would have gone crazy if we would have lost power for nearly a week. Although, unfortunately a huge tree fell on our van, but the van only ha d a little dent. Besides the tree, a bunch of branches, 2 shutters, and 1-2 shingles, we were safe. As we rode around Virginia Beach afterwards..it was pretty damaged. So, in my opinion, I don't think it was any less than what forecasters said it was, but that's because I live right on the southern coast about 30 minutes from North Carolina.