PDA

View Full Version : I don't think you remember...

mickydaniels
09-11-2003, 12:12 PM
http://www.haitianconnection.com/ALBUMS/mickydaniels-wtcaug8-89.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/media/US/images/ho_plane2wtc_010911_nh.jpg

:usa:

Happydude
09-11-2003, 12:13 PM
heh...it is 9/11 isnt it...well...thats all in the past but will never be forgotten...

mickydaniels
09-11-2003, 12:24 PM
heh...it is 9/11 isnt it...well...thats all in the past but will never be forgotten...

Sounds like you've already forgotten. And seems like everyone else here in NYC has forgotten. Why there's school or nothing notable going on on a day like this, I just can't understand. Maybe if they rock us good next time, people will take note of days like this.

TheGame
09-11-2003, 12:27 PM
THey are reading off the names of people who died where the towers used to be... But you ain't getting out of school that easy ;)

I think it will be a memorial holidy after the war is over... because who knows, somthing way worse could happen.

jeepnut
09-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Sounds like you've already forgotten. And seems like everyone else here in NYC has forgotten. Why there's school or nothing notable going on on a day like this, I just can't understand. Maybe if they rock us good next time, people will take note of days like this.

We don't get off for Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th.

mickydaniels
09-11-2003, 12:38 PM
We don't get off for Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th.

Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959.

And I wasn't saying we need school off so we can just have a day that feels like Saturday, I was saying that so that people could remember the significance of it like King's Birthday in January and the 4th of July.

The Duggler
09-11-2003, 12:49 PM
I was saying that so that people could remember the significance of it like King's Birthday in January and the 4th of July. And what's that significance?

jeepnut
09-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959.

And I wasn't saying we need school off so we can just have a day that feels like Saturday, I was saying that so that people could remember the significance of it like King's Birthday in January and the 4th of July.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Hawaii was a state. Thousands of American soldiers and citizens were injured and killed in a surprise attack outside the grounds of war just like 9/11. What I'm saying is why would we do the things you propose we should do today when no one does anything for what until 9/11 was considered the worst tragedy in our history even if it didn't happen on American soil.

DeathsHand
09-11-2003, 01:31 PM
It had no real impact on me when it happened and it still doesn't...

But I still know it happened... Does that count as not forgetting? Or maybe it counts as I never knew? Or maybe I'm just a traitor and should move to Russia?

I don't think anybody will actually ever forget about... But what do you expect people to do? Grieve constantly? No matter how big the event or how many people died, people move on... And it's for the better...

jeepnut
09-11-2003, 01:37 PM
It had no real impact on me when it happened and it still doesn't...

But I still know it happened... Does that count as not forgetting? Or maybe it counts as I never knew? Or maybe I'm just a traitor and should move to Russia?

I don't think anybody will actually ever forget about... But what do you expect people to do? Grieve constantly? No matter how big the event or how many people died, people move on... And it's for the better...

Exactly. I often wish I could say I feel some hurt or pain when I recall this day, however I don't. It all seemed not quite real at the time and it still doesn't even if I know it was. Some may think that this is heartless of me, but isn't it more heartless to fake fealings that you don't have?

TheGame
09-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Well, It's still pretty unreal to me too...

I think when I go back to NYC and I don't see the towers that's when I will get my reality check, but for now I don't even want to go back.

Happydude
09-11-2003, 01:44 PM
i heard that they're planning to build something huge where the towers used to be...can't recall exactly what i heard i just remember it was big.

jeepnut
09-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I think much of the reason I feel like I do is that I don't know anyone that lives in NYC nor have I ever been anywhere near there.

DeathsHand
09-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I think much of the reason I feel like I do is that I don't know anyone that lives in NYC nor have I ever been anywhere near there.

Me either, however I do live in Arlington, VA which is where the Pentagon... Then again, I didn't know anybody who worked there or anything at the time...

Which BTW, is also funny because Mickeydaniels is saying "I don't think you remember" and stuff, but where in his post do you see the Pentagon or that field in Pennsylvania? Sure New York was the biggest part of the attack, but the DC area was also hit, and probably would have been hit again (maybe even have been the hardest hit part of the attack, symbolically at least) if those people didn't stand up against the terrorists on the plane that crashed in PA...

Crash
09-11-2003, 02:51 PM
well i'm wearing my red/white/blue today, i dunno bout you guys.

mickydaniels
09-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Which BTW, is also funny because Mickeydaniels is saying "I don't think you remember" and stuff, but where in his post do you see the Pentagon or that field in Pennsylvania? Sure New York was the biggest part of the attack, but the DC area was also hit, and probably would have been hit again (maybe even have been the hardest hit part of the attack, symbolically at least) if those people didn't stand up against the terrorists on the plane that crashed in PA...
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0203/pentagon.crash.gallery/1.pentagon.burning.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0203/pentagon.crash.gallery/2.pentagon.burning.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0203/pentagon.crash.gallery/3.pentagon.burning.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0203/pentagon.crash.gallery/4.pentagon.burning.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0203/pentagon.crash.gallery/5.pentagon.burning.jpg

http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/graphics/memorial.jpg

TheGame
09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
The sick part is, that day could have been way worse... imagine if that last plane would have landed on the white house!!!

all the dead men of power there would have been!!! Also, maybe a dead president too!

Crash
09-11-2003, 03:44 PM
holy cow, i've never seen those pentegon shots before

Joeiss
09-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Bush wasn't in the white house. And yes, it could have been much worse.

I used to care about what happened... But now I could care less. I mean, its sad and all, but I have moved on.

The Duggler
09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Nice pictures of the crash into the pentagone there Mikey. It's strange though that there is no plane...

Joeiss
09-11-2003, 03:57 PM
You guys never saw those pics? Wow.. they are 2 years old, lol.

And it was a surveilance camera that was like.. rotating.. So it only got some of the shots.

Crash
09-11-2003, 04:10 PM
not sad, ha! imagine if this was your dad who had jumped because his skin was burning off.

(queazy stomach warning)

http://www.gametavern.net/images/wtc%20fall%20jump.gif

jeepnut
09-11-2003, 04:13 PM
not sad, ha! imagine if this was your dad who had jumped because his skin was burning off.

(queazy stomach warning)

http://www.gametavern.net/images/wtc%20fall%20jump.gif

That's exactly my point. That wasn't my dad or anyone else I am related to so it is difficult for me to imagine how I would feel.

Jewels
09-11-2003, 05:01 PM
i still remember of what happened, but i dont want to really remember it like it was its just too sad. :(

Happydude
09-11-2003, 06:07 PM
eh...at least he didnt have to pay to sky jump...

...sorry :unsure:

Rndm_Perfection
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM

lmao... poor context, happy!

Crash
09-11-2003, 07:42 PM

uncool

Dylflon
09-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Yea. Even though I'm Canadian I'll still be watching the 9/11 special.

My friend said something interesting today.

"It's important to remember 9/11 but it's also important to forget your mistakes like Vietnam and Hiroshima. (Patriotism)"

He doesn't particularily like Americans.

Me on the other hand; I'm indifferent. Naw. I ahve lots of American friends.

Professor S
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Yea. Even though I'm Canadian I'll still be watching the 9/11 special.

My friend said something interesting today.

"It's important to remember 9/11 but it's also important to forget your mistakes like Vietnam and Hiroshima. (Patriotism)"

He doesn't particularily like Americans.

Me on the other hand; I'm indifferent. Naw. I ahve lots of American friends.

I don't think Hiroshima was a mistake, nor was Nagasaki. While I feel for the families and people of Japan and respect their culture very much, but their leaders brought this upon themselves. They would rather see their people die than give up. The perfect example of this is that it took TWO nukes to make them give up. Imagine what a direct assault on Japan would have been like... the amount of people that would have died on both sides would have dwarfed that of the body count of both nukes.

As foir Vietnam, I don't know whether it was a good idea or not. I surely was not executed as it should have been. But the truth is that expantionist communism was spreading like wildfire all over Asia and parts of Europe until the Vietnam War, and quickly receeded after the conflict ended.

Jason1
09-11-2003, 08:34 PM
It's still somewhat hard for me to believe that a 110 story building could come crashing down. I remember I was in school going from 2nd to 3rd hour when somebody said that one of the World Trade Centers had fallen down, and I flat out didnt believe it. I mean, I had seen the one World Trade Center burning on TV before I left for school that morning. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would fall down. A 110 story building dosent just fall down. Its absurd to think about. I didnt REALLY believe it until I saw it on TV in 4th hour...it was such a shock.

DimHalo
09-12-2003, 01:55 AM
It is NOT about remembering that day. It is about understanding consequences and learning to live afterwards. Many people lost their lives that day and many people gained an appreciation for what they have. But we also have to remember that things are still gonna go on. And currently there are other issues to think about. While I do feel that it is important for many people to stop and remember the victims and give some prayers. It is not necessary to call everything off. There are many other ways of handling it. That was not my father in one of those buildings and for that I am grateful, and for that I am truly sorry for people that did lose their families. But are you going to try to tell me that I am heartless and don't remember or think about it just because I went about my daily business today? I certainly hope not. My father is in Kuwait on his way to Iraq where soldiers are getting killed everyday because of Bush's stupid plan that is failing miserably. And that upsets me, but I haven't said anything about it until now. Maybe I should make a thread trying to start something with people because they don't spend enough time thinking about the guys dieing in Iraq...

mickydaniels
09-12-2003, 09:36 AM
It's still somewhat hard for me to believe that a 110 story building could come crashing down. I remember I was in school going from 2nd to 3rd hour when somebody said that one of the World Trade Centers had fallen down, and I flat out didnt believe it. I mean, I had seen the one World Trade Center burning on TV before I left for school that morning. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would fall down. A 110 story building dosent just fall down. Its absurd to think about. I didnt REALLY believe it until I saw it on TV in 4th hour...it was such a shock.

Same thing that I was thinking when I saw the buildings come down. I thought maybe it would burn uncontrollably, but never collapse. Watching it on live TV was just sickening.

Jewels
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM

i was in 12th grade, i saw the 2nd plane hit before i left for school, then during my first hour, the first tower fell, the teacher wouldnt even let us watch the t.v because i think she was afaid it might put some of us into shock, or scare us on what wil the nation do now, but it still kind of sucked i still would've like to watch it , it was sad.... i watched it later that night and realized... im glad the teacher didnt let us watch it, people were jumping to a pavemented grave, or they were burning inside alive :(

DeathsHand
09-12-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't think I woke up until like 1PM that day or something...
I waltz downstairs and my dad is watching TV and I see the buildings burning (Of course, the buildings had already fallen) and I'm like "What the hell's that?" and he says "Probably terrorism. Those towers there aren't there anymore, they collapsed, they'll show it in a minute, they've been showing it over and over again. They hit the Pentagon too" And I said "That's crazy...".... and walked into the kitchen to get food...

Hey at least my story is different from everyone's who was in school and saw it all happen live *shakes fist*

mickydaniels
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Bumping this for the fact that it's the only thing on tv here today.

Looking back, jeepnut's kind of right about the day off, but I'm not forgetting that day.

Not that smell that came over Brooklyn that night and would greet me every time I entered lower Manhattan on my way to chemo treatments.
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/pics24/wtcspace.jpg

For me, there are still plenty of reminders all over this city.

By the way, whatever happened to terror alert system? They used to be real popular back in the days, and I haven't heard of them for a while. I don't even think they still show them on the Fox News Channel.

Angrist
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Aren't you an hour late? :)

So yeah, I still remember where I was and what I did.

Professor S
09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I think part of us wants to forget such a horrible moment in American history. And while I am not one to operate out of sorrow or fear, there is something to be said for recognition. 9/11 should be recognized as a significant and world changing event; a wake up call that speaks of the dangers of head-in-the-sand isolationism.

What angers me is when poeople want to twist recognition of a significant event into claims that we are all scared and/or hateful because of the terrorist attacks on 9/11. This is not the case. We, or at least most Americans I know, operate as students who learned well at the school of real life.

Here I remember friends lost with one that made it out alive.

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/photoessay_5084_images/0911081014_M_091108_Sept11_22.jpg

GameMaster
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I have no problem taking a moment or even a day of remembrance, but just thinking about all the hokey, cornball phrases that'll be tossed around on the news networks today makes me glad I'm at school and unable to watch TV.

The news networks will try to grab more viewership today by exploiting that tragic day 7 years ago. With 'special segments' dressed up like Hallmark cards coupled with generic piano accompaniments.

Since I'm in California, both attacks had already occurred by the time I was up and getting ready for school. New York and the nation at large were in complete shock and in a state of chaos. I stayed home from school that day to watch the coverage but also because we suspected more attacks might occur in other significant U.S. locations.

I think most work places and schools came to a stand-still that day. Either huddled around a radio or TV.

Its hard to believe its been 7 years. I'm curious to see how people born after 2001 are responding to today's anniversary. They'll never experience it the same way we do.

Professor S
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/080911beelertoon_c-.jpg

Jason1
09-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Also, maybe a dead president too!

in retrospect, maybe that wouldnt have been SUCH a bad thing...

Professor S
09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
in retrospect, maybe that wouldnt have been SUCH a bad thing...

Not at all, because then Dick Cheyney would be President. Your'e a Conservative after all! :D

TheGame
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
As much as I dislike bush, I wouldn't like to see someone from another country kill him. If someone were to do it, it needs to at least be an american :p

Jason1
09-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Not at all, because then Dick Cheyney would be President. Your'e a Conservative after all! :D

Was he not in the White House that day? Damn.

Professor S
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Was he not in the White House that day? Damn.

Dick Cheyney spends his life suspended in a vat of life-giving gelatin 3 miles under Mt. Hood, his cerebellum wired directly into the world's spy satellites and military super computers. Once a year they pull him out so he can do Larry King Live

The Germanator
09-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Ya know another tragedy we'll remember on 9/11 now? Sarah Palin's ABC interview. VP FAIL.

DeathsHand
09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Ya know another tragedy we'll remember on 9/11 now? Sarah Palin's ABC interview. VP FAIL.

You watch Veep Palin for the interviews?

Combine 017
09-12-2008, 12:29 AM
My birthday is soon. :)

Professor S
09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Lets not let this thread degrade into partisan bickering over the election. Its below us. Save it for another thread...

GameMaster
09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
This was John Stewart's first episode following 9/11. It was recorded on 9/20.

He did a great job.

<embed FlashVars="videoId=105095" src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>