PDA

View Full Version : Was Conker's Bad Fur Rareware's Grand Finale?

GameMaster
02-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Conker's Bad Fur Day. One of the Nintendo 64's most mature video games while at the same time, one of it's greatest. Visually this game was outstanding, blowing other Rare favorites like Banjo-Kazooie to the sidelines. IGN even gave this game a 9.9. The graphics, gameplay, sound, lasting appeal are all 10's across the board for me. If you've played this game, would you agree it was Rare's "exiting finale" for the N64, a final debut showing gamers their dedication to Nintendo. Would you agree it was one of the greatest games for Nintendo 64 in all? Let's hear it.

Neo
02-16-2002, 10:23 PM
I think Banjo-Kazooie was one of the greatest games on the N64.

Angrist
02-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Do girls respect the humor of CBFD???? :hmm:

Jin
02-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Gamemaster2002
Conker's Bad Fur Day. One of the Nintendo 64's most mature video games while at the same time, one of it's greatest. Visually this game was outstanding, blowing other Rare favorites like Banjo-Kazooie to the sidelines. IGN even gave this game a 9.9. The graphics, gameplay, sound, lasting appeal are all 10's across the board for me. If you've played this game, would you agree it was Rare's "exiting finale" for the N64, a final debut showing gamers their dedication to Nintendo. Would you agree it was one of the greatest games for Nintendo 64 in all? Let's hear it.

This post answers itself. If it looks like a monkey, feels like a monkey, and smells like a monkey, it's a monkey.

Revival
02-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
Do girls respect the humor of CBFD???? :hmm:
I wonder.. oh Kitana???

One Winged Angel
02-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Well, in my opinion, RareWare shouldn't have made Conker a game mature. I agree it was a great game but it never sold. Most of the Mature games bought are from Teenagers 13 - 16. They wouldn't allow them to buy the game unless they were 18 or over. I doubt their mothers would buy the game for them... considering it have an enlarged M on it. The game sold less that 75,000 because of it.

Ric
02-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Indeed it was their grand finalé for the N64 and their wave goodbye to an old friend, ironic when you consider that the original Conker game was intended to be one of the first released on N64, oh well, thats the way things work. As for having great graphics, well they were ok the visual/special effects are what really stood out, especially on the Matrix bit. I feel it was a game fitting to the ending days of a great console, it entered with a bang of decent games and humbally bowed to it's offspring, the Gamecube. Thanx Rare for a great game near the end, Nintendo didnt really contribute.

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jin

This post answers itself. If it looks like a monkey, feels like a monkey, and smells like a monkey, it's a monkey.

(pun intended) ;)

The Germanator
02-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by NeonNightCloud
Well, in my opinion, RareWare shouldn't have made Conker a game mature. I agree it was a great game but it never sold. Most of the Mature games bought are from Teenagers 13 - 16. They wouldn't allow them to buy the game unless they were 18 or over. I doubt their mothers would buy the game for them... considering it have an enlarged M on it. The game sold less that 75,000 because of it.

True, but I also see the game's release date as an issue for less sales also. I know it wouuld have sold more if it was released at a better time of the 64's life.

Ric
02-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Rareware didnt make the game a M, an outside company determines the ratings of games, it is a grave misconception that people have saying the developer sets the age boundaries. Granted they know that the content of the game is a determining factor.

C.H
03-03-2002, 06:13 PM
I have to agree that CBFD is one of the best N64 games, and the last must have N64 game. I think the mature content was part of it's charm, and i'm glad it was. Some wouldn't agree, but Rare tryed something different with Conker. And they succeed, the game is a master piece, although the sales might not reflect that (it still sold, but it wasn't exactly a hit). But i think thats because it was released so late in the N64's life, it's a real shame it wasn't a success though. If the game was released earily in the consoles life, and had a better advertising campain (no adverts were on here in europe, infact, not very many people no of the game other then N64 owners). It could of had the potentail to make a big impact on N64 sales. But that never happened. But i do have my fingers crossed for a GC sequel, and the registered names 'Conkers other bad fur day' hints to this. So i have high hopes, i think rare know that the franscise has a potential to be huge, and they know why CBFD wasn't a big success. So maybe they'll try again on the GC.

The game itself was an incredable fun game, and from a gameplay stand point was brilliant. The gameplay mecanic's were really simplyfied so that any old joe could pick the game up and get into the controls. I think Rare's previous platfroming experience really paid off in this game. The humour and cut scenes helped to bring the game along. And i would of thought that everyone (even people who HATE cut scene's in games) would want to see the cut scenes in this game. This truely is the funnest game i have ever played. It also never feels repeatative, although it was a platfromer, it never felt like it (especially after playing through and completeing practicely every N64 platfromer). It wasn't like having a central hub, and going to different worlds collecting stars and gold puzzle pieces. Although it did have those things, there was a central hub and you had to collect money that talked. It felt in a way more like an adventure, in the way it was set out. And, what can i say, it was refreshing. There was a great deal of variety in the game (have i said that already), form the was level with the saving private ryan intro, to the fantastic Matrix scene.
And the Multiplayer was a great bonus, along with being able to replay chapters. Not the biggest game ever, but a fantastic experience through and through. And i pray for a sequel.

Angrist
03-08-2002, 11:04 AM
I gotta recommend this game to my friend... he doesn't like kiddy games, so it will be kinda hard to explain that it's not...

I'm hungry :burger:

Sly_Fox
04-05-2002, 09:40 PM
Sure, it probably WAS Rare's sweet goodbye to the good ol' N64, even though it didn't sell very well. I'm a proud owner of that game, and I can only hope that they'll ignore the sour sales that BFD made and hopefully make us a sequel.

I've never laughed harder during any game than during this one, and it was a blast to invite friends over for a game of Heist (still is. Listening to the bad-mouthed weasels is hilarious). It's kinda sad that no one really recognized it as an amazing game, mainly because of that huge warning on the bottom of the box and on the cart :(