PDA

View Full Version : Emulators and Roms - Opinions.

Ric
02-15-2002, 09:51 AM
I was wondering what your views were on the matter of Emulators and Roms. I used to think they were a bad idea because companies loose out on cash for their hard work making the games however this only really applies to modern games.

I have a number of games on S.N.E.S and Megadrive (Genesis) however there are others, classics, ones which these days are pretty damn hard to get hold of and even then you may have to part with some serious cash. I just downloaded some emulators and roms of games I have wanted for ages and have developed my own opinion.

Illegall copying of modern games is wrong but getting retro games on emulator is a good idea. Some people are very dedicated to it, I found a site where they have translated Siken Densetsu 3, thats Secret Of Mana 2 to us. That is something which I feel is positive so then, why do companies care so much about roms and the like for retro consoles that they dont make money out of anymore. They should be happy that people want to play them. Anyway thats my opinion.

Jason1
02-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Its no Different then downloading music off Kazza or something like that. Ill do it until I either get arrested or its not avaliable anymore.

Too bad its impossible to find a good rom site.

GameMaster
02-15-2002, 08:55 PM
It isn't it wrong. Gaming companies try to cheat me into paying for their games when I could enjoy them for free on my computer. I don't like to be manipulated or forced to buy things.

Cyrax9
02-16-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm going to agree with Ric to an extent. ROMS are illegal, so I don't se them, however, ames from systems like the NES, and Sega Master System, should be allowed to have ROMS leagalized, due to the fact that you can't buy the games new anywhere. As far as modern Games go, Emulators ad ROMS are out of the question.

I also think that if older games were to be legalized as ROMS, there should only be one site, and you should have to use a rule similar to Napster's new Nickel per 20 Downloads. I'd change it to a Quarter for unlimited monthly Downloads though.

These are just my thoughts...

Ric
02-22-2002, 09:29 AM
Thats my point exactly Cyrax9 and I am glad you agree.

Just downloaded Secret Of Mana finally after all this time I get to play it :D

Ric
02-22-2002, 09:35 AM
Oh incidentally does anyone know where I can get a decent Genesis/Megadrive Emulator, I want one that has sound so preferably it will be one that works on windows. (Not DOS) Any help I will be gratefull for.

azazela31
02-22-2002, 03:41 PM
http://www.emulamaster.com

http://www.freeztuff.com/

www.edgeemu.com

Bube
02-22-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
Too bad its impossible to find a good rom site.
It's Angrist's fault all the good ROM sites are closed :p. And azazela31, those 3 sites will be closed shortly after Angrist's visit to this topic :D.

azazela31
02-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bube

It's Angrist's fault all the good ROM sites are closed :p. And azazela31, those 3 sites will be closed shortly after Angrist's visit to this topic :D.

Ohh well... I use those only when I want to play a SNES, Genesis, Atari game.

It's not bad!! What if you can't find the game.

Too bad for Angrist because the site have been up for year and won't be closed.

*hears Angrist approach*

*hides in dark corner*

Cyrax9
02-22-2002, 09:07 PM
I'm afraid I can'tallow the promotion of piracy on GT, so this thread is going to be locked, sorry guys, but until we CAN actually MAKE them legal, ROMs are a no-no.