PDA

View Full Version : Online Details Blowout

Perfect Stu
02-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Clickable (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2847592,00.html)

Sony Computer Entertainment releases details on its broadband service for Japan.

On Wednesday, Sony Computer Entertainment unveiled its PlayStation 2 broadband service, PlayStationBB. The service will commence this April in Japan, and it will allow users to download games, movies, music, webcasts, and digital publications. The service will also provide connectivity to the Internet and cellular phones using the Broadband Navigator software, which will be provided by the user's ISP. The software also serves several other functions. It will include a PlayStation emulator/PlayStation 2 player that allows users to play PS or PS2 software downloaded from the network onto the hard drive. It also features e-mail and instant messenger programs that allow for communication among registered users and a PlayStation Jukebox that lets users play music files downloaded from the network onto the hard drive. Sony noted that the software will also support streaming media using RealPlayer software provided by Real Networks.
Service fees are expected to vary depending on the ISP, and many have not announced their price plans yet. NTT Broadband, a content provider and an affiliate of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, said it plans to charge a monthly fee of 1,500 yen ($11) for Sony's online game and Internet access services. The company also revealed that users will have to pay a onetime fee of 18,000 yen ($135) or monthly installments of 1,160 yen ($8) for 18 months that allows them to download games to PlayStation 2 using the software.

Sony also plans to integrate the PlayStation 2 hardware into other electronic appliances such as DVD players and digital video recorders. Furthermore, the company released a list of online network titles currently being developed by first-party and third-party developers. They are listed below.

Arika
The Dungeon of Doruaga

Atlus
MMORPG (untitled)

Capcom
Auto Modellista
Resident Evil Online (working title)

From Software
Armored Core Sigma

Genki
Tokyo Xtreme Racing Online

Hudson
Bomberman Online (working title)

Koei
Nobunaga's Ambition online RPG (working title)

Konami
Music game (untitled)
Sports game (untitled)

Namco
Clockwork Online (working title)
Action adventure game (untitled)
3D flight shooting game (untitled)
Namco online sports game (working title)

Sega
Guru Guru Onsen PS2 (working title)
Hundred Swords
Simulation game (untitled)
Racing game (untitled)

Sony Computer Entertainment
Arc the Lad Online (working title)
Kuma-uta (working title)
Gran Turismo Online (working title)
Hot Shots Golf Online (working title)
Modiv Ribbon (working title)

Square Final Fantasy XI

Takara
Network-compatible board game (untitled)

Tecmo
MMO action adventure game (untitled)

DeathsHand
02-13-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
Resident Evil Online (working title)

:hmm:

anyways... that's all fine and good... sounds neato...

I just hope online stuffs doesn't flop because of all those fees and stuff :unsure:

designated_GM3R
02-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Resident Evil Online?
Excellent.

Joeiss
02-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Residet Evil??? WTF? Isn't that GCN exclusive?? Oh well, sounds good. I heard the the RE Online will feature an escape from Racoon City. I always thought that was the point of all the game, but I have not played any of them fully, so I would not know.

Damn. I am not sure if my parents will let me pay $11 for the online features. My parents are tight about little things like that.

Wow. There are alot of games on that list for online stuff. All I have to say is : SOUNDS GOOD!

DeathsHand
02-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
Residet Evil??? WTF? Isn't that GCN exclusive??

Well I heard a guy on the IGN boards actually make a good point..

He said like... the main RE series itself would be exclusive...

whereas stuff like Gun Survivor (I think gun survivor 2 or 3 or something is still in the works for PS2 maybe as well :confused:) and RE online are considered like seperate series... kinda like a spinoff, of sorts...

And they say like the series is exclusive to NGC, but with RE4 not even coming out until 2003... and RE2, 3, and CV all on PS consoles... the only exclusives it sounds like it might be getting would be RE4, RE0, RE remake, and maaaybe 1 other RE game that could possibly come out in NGC's lifetime...

anyways...

Perfect Stu
02-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Residet Evil??? WTF? Isn't that GCN exclusive?? Oh well, sounds good. I heard the the RE Online will feature an escape from Racoon City. I always thought that was the point of all the game, but I have not played any of them fully, so I would not know.

Damn. I am not sure if my parents will let me pay $11 for the online features. My parents are tight about little things like that.

Wow. There are alot of games on that list for online stuff. All I have to say is : SOUNDS GOOD!

My advice: Get a job...that's what I'm going to do...the only way I'll be able to afford full-fledged online gaming...

Then your parents can't tell you what to do with your money :D

Perfect Stu
02-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Residet Evil??? WTF? Isn't that GCN exclusive??

CLICK ME!!! (http://www.thegia.com/news/0202/n13a.html)

Joeiss
02-13-2002, 05:29 PM

My advice: Get a job...that's what I'm going to do...the only way I'll be able to afford full-fledged online gaming...

Then your parents can't tell you what to do with your money :D

Oh, I have the money. But my parents are just plain old stupid.

And, the GIA link, what does it have to do with RE being exclusive to GCN?

Perfect Stu
02-13-2002, 05:33 PM

Oh, I have the money. But my parents are just plain old stupid.

And, the GIA link, what does it have to do with RE being exclusive to GCN?

just more proof that there is going to be a RE game on the PS2...sorry if it was difficult to understand

Joeiss
02-13-2002, 09:15 PM

just more proof that there is going to be a RE game on the PS2...sorry if it was difficult to understand

Oh! Okay... I thought the link was supposed to explain how the RE series was going to PS2.

Yeah, about 100 sites have this news now... But I still think that this news about online may be false, and probably a prank.

;)