PDA

View Full Version : Rock concerts as a therapy

Dylflon
07-19-2003, 02:30 AM
A few weeks ago when I was walking home from Blockbusters with my friend, we came across a HUGE group of teenagers that had been drinking. We tried crossing the street to get away from them to no avail. There were a lot of little groups of them. But as we were walking a few of them jumped me and repeatedly punched me in the face.

For I while after that I was really screwed up. I was afraid of any stranger. I had developed some sort of social anxiety disorder.

I had a ticket to a concert called Warped Tour. I went just one week after the incident. It wasn't the best choice of social events. There were a lot of weird people there. And I was constantly afraid of getting beat up. I had my first anxiety attack ever at that concert.

So I continued fearing strangers and getting freaked out whenever I thought about me getting jumped.

But just a few days ago I went to the Foo Fighters concert. I was a bit nervous at first. But THRILLHO got me to go into the mosh. Being surrounded by and packed into a group withall sorts of strangers was very therapeutic in a way. I realized that nothing bad was happening and I started to calm down. I really enjoyed that concert.

Being in such a big group of strangers like that was a big step forward. Now I'm not afraid of strangers NEARLY as much. I still am a little bit edgy around those extra-shady characters. And thinking about when I got jumped doesn't really scare me anymore. I just had to come to the realization that not everybody wants to hurt me.

I'm going to another concert very soon. I'll be going to R.E.M. I'll be pretty much by myself because everyone I'm going with has tickets for a special section but I don't . So I'll be alon all night with people I don't know. That should be another step towards my being able to trust people again.

Rock concerts have really helped me with this social anxiety disorder. It's a therapy that I've discovered can work really well. It may not work for everyone but why not give it a shot?

PureEvil
07-19-2003, 02:52 AM
Next time you get jumped, just buy a gun. And a silencer, if possible, so then you can kill future-jumpees without drawing too much attention to yourself.

When killing others, attention = bad.

And if you're really not a shooty-kinda guy, you could get some other weapon. Brass knuckles, for instance.

Don't just "get over" your fears, let them boil into an almost-uncontrollable rage (You have to keep some control) which you can freely unleash on anyone who screws with you.

:sneaky:

GameMaster
07-19-2003, 02:58 AM
I'm glad to here you're getting over this anxiety of strangers. Let us know how you feel after the REM concert.

DeathsHand
07-19-2003, 02:59 AM
I want my damn therapy through the White Stripes show I have tickets too.... unfortunately Jack got in a car accident and his left index finger suffered a nasty break, so my show has been postponed (And Ravishing Rick Rude, I think you said you had tickets to a Stripes show too... Well, your show is postponed indefinately as well, incase you havn't heard yet)...

So now I just wanna KILL EVERYBODY I SEE!!!!..... Not really... But it's dissapointing... Now I gotta wait longer... *sniffle*

I'm a wuss at concerts though... if the crowd gets rough I say "You guys are dumbasses" and move... I wanna enjoy the show, not jump up and down like a moron, kick people in the back of the head by going crowd surfing, or run into a bunch of people like an even dumber ****face in a mosh pit... stupid ****ers...

Ravishing Rick Rude
07-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I want my damn therapy through the White Stripes show I have tickets too.... unfortunately Jack got in a car accident and his left index finger suffered a nasty break, so my show has been postponed (And Ravishing Rick Rude, I think you said you had tickets to a Stripes show too... Well, your show is postponed indefinately as well, incase you havn't heard yet)...

So now I just wanna KILL EVERYBODY I SEE!!!!..... Not really... But it's dissapointing... Now I gotta wait longer... *sniffle*

I'm a wuss at concerts though... if the crowd gets rough I say "You guys are dumbasses" and move... I wanna enjoy the show, not jump up and down like a moron, kick people in the back of the head by going crowd surfing, or run into a bunch of people like an even dumber ****face in a mosh pit... stupid ****ers...

Its definately disappointing that Jack messed his finger up. Bah well, Still goin to warped.

So i'm good as gold :D

Jason1
07-19-2003, 11:59 AM

I agree with ya there. When me and a friend went to Mudvayne a couple months ago, he wanted to go in the Mosh pit and im like why? Im 6 foot and I didnt want to get hurt in there...my friend is only like 5'4...he just would've got lost or something...and I know somebody who broke his arm in a mosh pit...yep...mosh pits are stupid things really.

Classic Rocker
07-19-2003, 03:16 PM

Dude thats like the fun of the concerts. There is your therapy right there. Release yourself. Your energy. If your mad, get in the mosh pit and start fighting your way around. If you are feeling good, jump into the crowd. Don't be a stiff.

DeathsHand
07-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Dude thats like the fun of the concerts. There is your therapy right there. Release yourself. Your energy. If your mad, get in the mosh pit and start fighting your way around. If you are feeling good, jump into the crowd. Don't be a stiff.

Let's say I'm feeling good, so I wanna enjoy the show without a bunch of dumbasses running into me or kicking me in the back of my head...

Let's say I'm feeling mad and want to enjoy the show without a bunch of dumbasses running into me or kicking me in the back of my head and pissing me off even more...

Then what?

Jason1
07-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Yea! Let's all run into a group of crazy people, risking injury, among other things, because it will make us feel better! :shakehead

I'm all with DH here...

Classic Rocker
07-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Let's say I'm feeling good, so I wanna enjoy the show without a bunch of dumbasses running into me or kicking me in the back of my head...

Let's say I'm feeling mad and want to enjoy the show without a bunch of dumbasses running into me or kicking me in the back of my head and pissing me off even more...

Then what?

then i suggest you stick with the CD or buy the live album...live rock shows are not for you :)

One Winged Angel
07-20-2003, 12:17 AM
or download all of the live album on Kazaalite :)

PureEvil
07-20-2003, 12:19 AM
or download all of the live album on Kazaalite :)

:WHOA:

:nono:

:sneaky:

Dylflon
07-20-2003, 12:19 AM
I like staying just outside the mosh in the calmer section. You're close to the stage without getting murdered in the mosh.

DeathsHand
07-20-2003, 12:47 AM
then i suggest you stick with the CD or buy the live album...live rock shows are not for you :)

I see your point, I guess it's not for the rest of the 99% of the people who don't mosh/crowd surf either, and I should just buy the CD or Live album because that makes up 100% for actually being there, seeing the band do their thing on stage and enjoying the show...

Then again, I guess I'm forgetting that the point of going to see a band live is not to see the band, but to act stupid...

The Germanator
07-20-2003, 12:59 AM
I've been involved in a couple mosh pits through my years, and the experience hasn't been all that good. The final straw was when this goddamn shirtless redneck jerk kicked me in the side of the head with his gigantic steel toe boots. I was woozy for the rest of the show... Now, I haven't even been to a concert that's had a mosh pit since I went to the Horde tour in 2000 I think. Basically most of the shows I go to these says are mellow enough to not even warrant a mosh pit, and most indie rock kids aren't very violent..

Classic Rocker
07-20-2003, 06:49 AM
I've been involved in a couple mosh pits through my years, and the experience hasn't been all that good. The final straw was when this goddamn shirtless redneck jerk kicked me in the side of the head with his gigantic steel toe boots. I was woozy for the rest of the show... Now, I haven't even been to a concert that's had a mosh pit since I went to the Horde tour in 2000 I think. Basically most of the shows I go to these says are mellow enough to not even warrant a mosh pit, and most indie rock kids aren't very violent..

It's usually the Metal shows, where the redneck moshers lie waiting to kill ya. Indie kids aren't very violent where I am from along with the EMO kids. Although I've seen some EMO kids go on a rampage crying. Guess there girl problems got them to the fullest .

I see your point, I guess it's not for the rest of the 99% of the people who don't mosh/crowd surf either, and I should just buy the CD or Live album because that makes up 100% for actually being there, seeing the band do their thing on stage and enjoying the show...

Then again, I guess I'm forgetting that the point of going to see a band live is not to see the band, but to act stupid...

I'm glad you see my point :)

but no you do make a point. majority of people at concerts don't mosh/crowd surf soo yeah just stick with them. You are right, you can't beat seeing the band you wanna see live on stage doing there thing.

Even at some of the gigs my band does. We do industrial metal and only get a few of the kids to do the mosh pit and most of those kids are the members of the other bands participating so it isn't really a mosh pit. And our crowds aren't that huge yet to do crowd surfing either.