PDA

View Full Version : Gangs of New York

Perfect Stu
07-12-2003, 10:28 AM
http://www.crankycritic.com/archive02/posters/gangsofny_c.jpg

I saw the movie in theatres this past January, and loved it. I didn't think twice about buying the DVD the other day and add the movie to my collection.

It's a brutal yet historically accurate portrayel of a time in history that a lot of people (including me) are/were not familiar with. Set it New York in the 1840s-1860s in a time where civilation was corrupt and the country was gearing up for civil war. The movie stars Daniel Day-Lewis as 'Bill the Butcher', a man who holds far more power in an area of New York than any politician or policeman. And although the movie is so large and has a long, deep story involving lots of characters, Day-Lewis steals the spotlight and runs with it. Honestly, I would have to put his performance amongst the top 5 I've ever seen. He should have won the Oscar. Leonardo Dicaprio plays an Irish fellow who more or less tries to avenge his fathers murder at the hands of 'the Butcher'. It turns out to be an extremely and interesting process, though. Cameron Diaz also stars in the movie as a love interest, and does a decent job.

The movie is brutally violent, and the language is often nearly as brutal, but director Scorsese ultimately creates an insightful look at one interesting time in history. I highly recommend it.

One Winged Angel
07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
I didn't really like the movie that much. I guess it was good in a certain way but it was a little borng and ****.

Terminator could kick all of their asses.

Dyne
07-12-2003, 01:28 PM
I liked it, but it wasn't extraordinary. It was probably better than most of the stuff last year, though. I'll give it that.

The whole movie me and my parents were wondering.. was this real or not? I mean, a butcher with the name 'Cutting'? I think that's what the could have changed to make it all more realistic. That was on my mind while I was watching it.

GameMaster
07-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks Stu, I'll have to check it out.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
07-12-2003, 05:41 PM
[img] Set it New York in the 1840s-1860s in a time where civilation was corrupt

ya because american society isn't corrupt today :rolleyes:

Perfect Stu
07-12-2003, 07:23 PM
ya because american society isn't corrupt today :rolleyes:

Did I say that?

DarkMaster
07-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I saw the movie in theaters, it was excellent. I'm considering buying the DVD.