PDA

View Full Version : nothing against macs. but this was just kinda funny

Null
07-11-2003, 08:59 PM
http://mike.disorient.net/uploads/videos/mac.wmv

friend showed me so i thought i'd share with you.

:D *seeks shelter from mac fans at GT tho*

GameMaster
07-11-2003, 09:44 PM
I couldn't watch it, not a compatible format. Quicktime converter anyone?

gekko
07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
That video has been circulating. But I do find it entertaining. Some things are so stupid that they're funny, this is one of them.

He says he edited the video on a Mac. It's a good way to establish that you're actually a Mac user. Well, it would be good. Problem is the video doesn't even work on a Mac. There are some Windows Media files that do not have a picture on a Mac, and this is one of them. Thank God for Microsoft and compatibility, right? I don't know a single Mac user who would ever choose to make a video in Windows Media format, and if they did, they would surely test it to make sure it runs. Well it doesn't. This guy doesn't use a Mac.

Second, if Software Update is bouncing up and down, it means that he's using Mac OS X, and the dock is at the bottom of the screen. Let's establish that. Oh, and he has set the computer to check for updates. Then he complains. Of course, let's not get into the fact that all you do to install updates is his install, and type in your password establishing you as an admin. Then it's all done behind the scenes, and it lets you know when it's finished. Very similar to the way Windows XP does it. So where is this executable file he's searching for? I have no idea. Especially since executable files are more or less a Windows thing, and he would never have trouble finding the app to launch anyway, because it's usually the only file that's there besides the readme. The rest are usually hidden at the bottom of the window, where you would need to scroll to see them, and inside folders.

Third, Macs don't shut down on their own. I have experienced Macs restarting for no known reason, back in earlier OS 9 builds. But again, he's using Mac OS X. So would it ever happen? No. And if a program locked up during shutdown, he could easily force quit and start over. Or he could just press the reset button on his system, like he would do if his PC locks up. The power button won't shut down his system, and they haven't since the old days of flipping a switch on and off. The last thing he would want it someone or thing bumping the power button and having his whole system shutdown. If you hit the power button on a Mac it puts it in sleep mode. I believe, at least in Panther, you can set the power button to pop up the menu giving you options to restart, shut down, or sleep.

Forth, the cloverleaf-period spacebar he refers to, which would be Command-period, or apple-period, does nothing. What he is looking for is Command+Option+Esc, which brings up the Force Quit menu, which is rarely necessary because unless the Finder crashes, he could just right-click on the program and force quit from the dock. But considering he says cloverleaf-period, further proves that he's not using a Mac. It would be the same as a Mac user saying Alt+Q+Caps Lock instead of Alt+Ctrl+Del.

Fifth, back with OS 9 and removable media, you had a separate desktop folder for each device, like a zip-disk for example. When you inserted the disk, whatever was on the disk's desktop folder would appear on your desktop. Not too hard, takes a few tries before you remember just to drag it to your damn HD. I was never fond of it, but I have yet to see it happen in OS X, and I don't believe it ever happened using CDs, just writable media. And remember, he's using OS X here.

Sixth, he now has trouble with auto-play? Wow, he must've never used a PC. I've never experienced more than a window popping up when inserting a CD. Usually just the files on the CD appearing, allowing you to install, play, etc. But he could turn off auto-play, and he definitely wouldn't want to use Windows, because that has auto-play too! Oh no!

Seventh, going into DOS to recover a file is a real user-friendly thing. If he was that smart, he would also be able to recover a deleted file on a Mac HD. Unless he did a secure delete, the data is still there, and it's more than possible to restore files. A HD is a HD, unless you zero it, the data is still there. Doesn't matter what platform you're on.

Eighth, if he really wanted the dock on top, there are programs that can do it. And having the dock on top isn't a real practical thing. The menu bar and dock would get in the way of each other.

I think I covered just about everything he mentioned.

Null
07-11-2003, 10:23 PM
lol. its just one of thoes exageration things that are meant to be funny. Just like comics i forget thier name. pennywize? whatever, about all the game systems and stuff.

dont go taking all the fun out of it now. hehe

"i can put it on the bottom, on the left, on the right.... but not on the top. noooooooooo thats reserved for the almighty blue apple!" :D

manasecret
07-12-2003, 01:28 AM
Jesus lord almighty god person, are you on crack gekko? Ten points or however many points are thrown in there to counter what's obviously an exaggerated joke?

I mean, maybe he used OS 9 AND OS X. Could he? And, and, maybe *gasp* the file format has been converted since?

God man, lighten up.

gekko: "Some things are so stupid that they're funny, this is one of them."

PureEvil
07-12-2003, 01:44 AM
LMAO.

That's hilarious.

You idiot, you own a Macintosh! The file is f*cking gone!

Stonecutter
07-12-2003, 02:31 AM
Jesus lord almighty god person, are you on crack gekko? Ten points or however many points are thrown in there to counter what's obviously an exaggerated joke?

I mean, maybe he used OS 9 AND OS X. Could he? And, and, maybe *gasp* the file format has been converted since?

God man, lighten up.

gekko: "Some things are so stupid that they're funny, this is one of them."
See, but in order to see that, you need logic, and you were talking to a Mac user, thus...

Seth
07-12-2003, 03:04 AM
LOL,

I saw another one like this...only it had another guy.

And he's like, "Well the mac can play great games!"..."like photoshop"

funny stuff.

Yoda9864
07-12-2003, 03:16 AM
lol. its just one of thoes exageration things that are meant to be funny. Just like comics i forget thier name. pennywize? whatever, about all the game systems and stuff.
Penny Arcade. Those are some funny comics. As is this, lol.

bobcat
07-12-2003, 11:22 AM
:unsure:

gekko
07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
dont go taking all the fun out of it now. hehe

There are jokes that are funny, like the one bouncer is talking about. This is just plain stupid.

Null
07-12-2003, 11:59 AM
lol. poor gekko

Happydude
07-12-2003, 12:24 PM
lol..funny guy...he feels kinda the same way i feel about a mac...except i don't mind it that much.

Seth
07-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Penny Arcade. Those are some funny comics. As is this, lol.

Damn, I love penny-arcade. Best comic on the net.

PuPPeT
07-13-2003, 02:24 PM
http://mike.disorient.net/uploads/videos/mac.wmv

friend showed me so i thought i'd share with you.

:D *seeks shelter from mac fans at GT tho*

ARF ARF!!!! Nice one Null that was well good. Waits for all the mac owners to get pissie about this...................

GameMaster
07-13-2003, 04:50 PM
I think different. :p

Blade Runner
07-13-2003, 05:20 PM
lol, i've had that on my pc for sometime now. My mac friends didn't seem to like it too much :unsure:

lol, its really easy to shut down, all you have to do is run a piece a software...

*hides from evil mac users*

Koopa
07-24-2003, 03:43 AM
LOL,

I saw another one like this...only it had another guy.

And he's like, "Well the mac can play great games!"..."like photoshop"

funny stuff.
ya i saw that..its at
www.redvsblue.com

PureEvil
07-24-2003, 03:59 AM
ya i saw that..its at
www.redvsblue.com

Heh. That one's okay, but the one Null posted was mucho better.

TheSlyMoogle
07-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Penny Arcade is my favorite web comic! Here was a strip they posted way back. I think it has been taken off the site to prevent legal action from being taken, after the "Strawberry Shortcake Incident"

Enjoy!