PDA

View Full Version : Oh, my, god...

manasecret
02-12-2002, 06:24 PM
New low-res and high-res (Insiders) movies of Eternal Darkness.

All I can say is WOW. The graphics are really sweet (eyes and eyebrows, mouths and teeth seem to actually move with the speech), though they may not be the best. I don't care to argue that, because even if it lacks in graphics, so far as I can tell it is overflowing with atmosphere and personality.

Perhaps this movie doesn't necessarily prove the gameplay to be great, but I now have a lot less qualms worrying about the story. And that alone has made me much more excited about the game.

Check it out:

Low-res (320 x 240, 10MB) (http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/previews/video/eternaldarkness/eternaldarkteaser1.mov)

High-res (IGNInsider-Only) (640 x 480, 37MB) (http://insider.ign.com/download/video/cube/eternaldarkteaser101.mov)

Oh, by the by, for those of you who had listened to that sample MP3 from the game ("May the rats eat your brain! . . . the darkness comes... it will kill us all!"), this movie explains quite a bit about it (though also leaves more questions).

GameKinG
02-12-2002, 06:34 PM
EDIT: OK nevermind.

manasecret
02-12-2002, 06:37 PM
GameKing, when I put Insider only I meant for the high-res one. I put a link for both the low-res and high-res. I fixed my post to make it more clear, so, sorry for that.

GameKinG
02-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Wow, that was cool. We had heard the audio file of the last line before but now we get the full picture.

The_Dunadan
02-12-2002, 07:40 PM
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

the story is looking sweet!!!! imo, the graphics are pretty good considering the game is full 3d.

june:(:mad: hey, thats my bday month:)

DeathsHand
02-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I don't see what's so special about the graphics... :confused:

Anyways... I still don't think the game looks all that great (and I'm not just talking graphics) :p

Gamer
02-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Well DH, if you have a bad attitude about a game, it will normally turn out bad FOR YOU. But for the rest of us i think that this game looks pretty *****ng sweet! The graphics werent the ultimate in that vid but im sure they will get better, and, as for the story i cant wait, it looks awsome!

DeathsHand
02-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by gamer
Well DH, if you have a bad attitude about a game, it will normally turn out bad FOR YOU.

Actually it can turn out to be just the opposite of that...

People who think it will rox0r and be awesome and stuff have more of a chance of being overhyped and let down :p

Which is why I never get really hyped about a game unless it's a new game in a series that I wuvs to berry munch... Because I usually like 'em...

But as for a developer that's only made one game I kinda like (blood omen, which, BTW, I stopped playing... got boring... I got the eehhh armor that like... makes enemies take damage too... I think I was a little bit past that, if anyone here has played the game) that is making a game that uses this new sanity thing as a major part of the game (which could be good or bad) in a genre (or at least a similar genre or whatever) that already has two of my fav. games ever (RE, SH) which I'm skeptical that ED can beat out...

Of course I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon and say it's gonna rock and be amazing and set myself up for a possible dissapointment...

If I think the story will be kinda blah, and it's good, yay that makes the game even more awesome...

If I think the sanity effect thing might end up being a tedious gameplay element, but it ends up adding a whole lot of goodness to the game, yay, it's amazing...

But if it ends up sucking, you guys will be there making it look even worse than it is (which happens when people get over hyped... look at PS2... everybody was bashing the crap out of it, when the truth is, most systems don't have very good games around launch... I mean look at Xbox and NGC, the same thing is happening to them now, but when Nintendo fans hear bashing they bitch and moan because "PS2 went through the same thing", yeah, exactly, PS2 went through the same thing, and it went through like 10x the bashing as well ;) ) while I say "Well I wasn't expecting very much from it anyways..."

I saw a commercial for MGS and held out trying it for a long time, then my friend rented it when I let him borrow my PSX and he said it was cool and I rented it and of course MGS is one of my fav. games ever... :D

Ridley
02-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Well the only thing that impressed me about that video was the lip-synching and the voice acting. The graphics were good I guess but I wasn't like "OMG these r0x0rZ! Yippity doo!". By the way, can anyone tell me what the bajeezus r0x0rZ (or however it's written) means? :unsure: I'm still interested in this game though. And leave DeathsHand alone, if he doesn't think it will be that good then fine. Let it go guys :p.

GameMaster
02-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Emotional, I like it. :D

thehtownpoption
02-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
People who think it will rox0r and be awesome and stuff have more of a chance of being overhyped and let down :p

You've got a point. I know I said in my original post that "Perhaps this movie doesn't necessarily prove the gameplay to be great," but in my mind I was very excited about this game. But I really need to realize that from I've seen of the gameplay so far, it doesn't look like it will be a spectacular game. This movie really doesn't prove the gameplay to be any better than my forethought, so I'm still going to remain skeptical about the game.

DeathsHand
02-13-2002, 09:34 PM
thehtownpoption... hmm... you're name sounds familiar :hmm:

thehtownpoption
02-13-2002, 09:42 PM
thehtownpoption... hmm... you're name sounds familiar :hmm:

Perhaps...

D-realJos
02-14-2002, 03:05 AM
DeathsHand, his name sounds familiar because he used to hang around Nintendose. I can't remember much of his personality, but the name kinda stuck in my head for some reason. hmm...

Anyway, that video was nice. I wasn't blown away by the lip-synching or the facial animaiton(excelent facial textures, btw), but they do deserve mention.

The graphics on a whole are great. Some parts were awesome, while some other were ok. (although, some of the commentary clips I've seen, totally blew away anything in that video, graphics wise).

I should note however, while the graphics are great, Silicon Knights AGAIN toned them down a little. There were no shadows casted by the characters in the video. I believe the final game will not only have shadows, but it will have dynamic shadows as well(if you remember the very first footage at Nintendo's E3 press conference, the game featured awesome shadowing that stretched, distorted, and contracted according to light sources). The lighting didn't seem very much in placed either, but the textures were impressive as usual, even extremely close up.

The atmosphere and intensity totally blew my away and left that feeling of wonder, while the voice acting was the icing on the cake and just fortified the whole clip.

Now, if only June would hurry up and come...

DeathsHand
02-14-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by D-realJos
but the name kinda stuck in my head for some reason. hmm...

Your's too, eh?

... It must be some sort of voodoo mindgame curse thingamabob of sorts... :hmm:

*runs off to get a pitchfork and a torch*

P.S: Just to be a little on topic, I don't think the ED graphics are all that great... Maybe that's because I recently pulled Silent Hill 2 out and it reminded me just how pretty some of those indoor enviornments are :p

thatmariolover
02-14-2002, 10:22 AM

Your's too, eh?

... It must be some sort of voodoo mindgame curse thingamabob of sorts... :hmm:

*runs off to get a pitchfork and a torch*

P.S: Just to be a little on topic, I don't think the ED graphics are all that great... Maybe that's because I recently pulled Silent Hill 2 out and it reminded me just how pretty some of those indoor enviornments are :p

Yeah. It looks good, but it's hardly drawing anything. I mean, when you're actually outdoors and it has something to draw it just covers it in fog.

The one great thing that we really saw in this was the particle system.

(And BTW, his name stuck in my head too)

DeathsHand
02-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by thatmariolover

Yeah. It looks good, but it's hardly drawing anything. I mean, when you're actually outdoors and it has something to draw it just covers it in fog.

Yeah, and crappy textures and stuff too, I know...

but since you rarely spend anytime outdoors and are only there when you're going to the next "level" (Apartment, hospital, history museum place/prison, hotel), I just consider that kind of like the world map of Final Fantasy games... y'know the graphics were all bland and stuff... :sneaky:

and I like the fog, anyways... it gives it atmosphere...

I wish they used darkness more though... and I mean like outdoors... like in the first one, you shift back and forth between the two "worlds" maybe 4 to 6 times maybe, but in SH2 it's just twice... once to go into it and once to go back... heh...

But enough about Silent Hill 2... uuhhhhh...

"while the voice acting was the icing on the cake and just fortified the whole clip."

I forgot to comment on that...

what's so great about the voice acting? I dunno, I guess I don't really care much wether it's good or not (as long as it's not total crap), so I don't really know what's considered "good"...

I know that people have been saying it had excellent voice acting ever since they got that small sound clip of the guy yelling whatever he yelled (it's at the end of the teaser trailer)... but I dunnos... I guess it sounds kinda like on par with the Soul Reaver/Blood Omen series... which has pretty good voice acting I guesso... and was started by Silicon Knights of course... :p

Let's just hope ED doesn't get boring and make me wanna stop playing before I actually beat the game like blood omen did ;)

That has nothing to do with voice acting, but still :sneaky:

The_Dunadan
02-14-2002, 04:42 PM
and with 40-60 hours of gameplay, the potential for bordom and frustration is even higher!

DeathsHand
02-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Dunadan
and with 40-60 hours of gameplay, the potential for bordom and frustration is even higher!

Yeah exactly... blood omen is like looong, but it just seemed like the same damn thing time after time... the dungeons were too similar and stuff... not to mention it was too damn frustrating cuz I kept dying waaaaay too frequently...

Hopefully each character in ED actually FEELS like a different character and not just the same thing in the different time period with different weapons ;)

LoudHowardZERO
02-14-2002, 05:21 PM
Almost makes me want to dump RE for it....

It looks good.. nowe someones going to bitch at me for this, but I thought the guy looked a little blockie, I think they could have done a little better graphics wise, I hope they fix that....

Plastic0006
02-14-2002, 05:50 PM
sorry i havent posted in a while to busy playin pso tryin to up my level but neways i liked it i was watching in the dark and that made it interesting cuz then my bro opened the door and scared the **** outta me and that guy does sound mad i see why they locked him up in the asylum but still ya never know if theyre really crazy or just know something u dont;) i loved the voice acting it fits the guy perfect and his eyes really look sacared unlike in other games the guy looks like he a wreck im hopin this one has good controls.

thehtownpoption
02-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by D-realJos
DeathsHand, his name sounds familiar because he used to hang around Nintendose. I can't remember much of his personality, but the name kinda stuck in my head for some reason. hmm...

Anyone remember nintendodolphin.net? How 'bout Aziz?

Yes, you're right.. it is very sad I have been around that long...

DeathsHand
02-14-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by thehtownpoption

Anyone remember nintendodolphin.net? How 'bout Aziz?

Yes, you're right.. it is very sad I have been around that long...

Yes... yes I do remember that...

Do I win anything? A cookie perhaps?

thehtownpoption
02-14-2002, 08:17 PM

Yes... yes I do remember that...

Do I win anything? A cookie perhaps?

No, you win a.. what was it... taco? Yeah, I think it was taco. You win a taco. No you win ten tacos.

I think that was VIN's thing, or him and some others. But I think they're at AGB now.

Angrist
02-15-2002, 10:31 AM

No, you win a.. what was it... taco? Yeah, I think it was taco. You win a taco. No you win ten tacos.

I think that was VIN's thing, or him and some others. But I think they're at AGB now. What's with the girl in your avatar?

thehtownpoption
02-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Angrist
What's with the girl in your avatar?

Before I say, what do you think of her? She's not my girlfriend, so don't worry about insulting me or something (that is, if you would worry about such a thing).

Angrist
02-17-2002, 08:20 AM

Before I say, what do you think of her? She's not my girlfriend, so don't worry about insulting me or something (that is, if you would worry about such a thing). She's nice. Don't know her so I can't say more...

thehtownpoption
02-17-2002, 10:00 AM
She's nice. Don't know her so I can't say more...

Well, she's just a girl I know and I wanted to try to make my own avatar to see how it comes out. I'll probably replace her with another girl.

thatmariolover
02-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Haha. Aziz logged onto his AIM SN and I PM'ed him saying "hi"...

He said "Hi" and signed off. It was pretty funny.

Angrist
02-22-2002, 10:43 AM

Well, she's just a girl I know and I wanted to try to make my own avatar to see how it comes out. I'll probably replace her with another girl. How did you get that foto anyway? I mean, it looks like it's taken in a studio. ...?

azazela31
02-22-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by LoudHowardZERO
Almost makes me want to dump RE for it....

Get BOTH!! They will be worth it. RE looks better, but I'm telling you, this game will have killer gameplay.

thehtownpoption
02-22-2002, 09:01 PM
How did you get that foto anyway? I mean, it looks like it's taken in a studio. ...?

It was, I think. It was some sort of test model pic, as she was learning to be a model for awhile, and she sent it to me. Not sure if she still does it.