PDA

View Full Version : WWF Raw

Professor S
02-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Raw is one day away from release. Who is looking forward to this game and who is going to buy it right away? What is your favorite feature in this game? (Ex. remove/steal clothing, advanced entrance effects, etc.)

Well, if anyone has read my posts in the sports forum, you know I'm getting this game. I've already paid for actually.

My favorite advance in this game is the gameplay. IGN said in their review that Raw had the best engine they had ever seen in a game and said it was the eventual evolution from the Asmik/AKI gameplay. I know this is just hearsay right now, but IGN has really made me want this game badly, and I'm a N64 Wrestling Engine whore.

So what do you guys think?

Perfect Stu
02-12-2002, 03:37 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,454283,00.html

:unsure:

Professor S
02-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Oh... gee... you posted the Gamespot Review... They aren't BIASED against MS or anything...

IGN gave it a 9.1

And doesn't Gamespot usually not review XBox games until a week or so after release because they don't get advanced copies? Yet they reviewed this game 3 days prior to release...

I wonder what build they reviewed.

Anyway, we'll see in a day anyhow. But I don't trust gamespot, they're basically a PS2 fanzine. They gave the crapfest that is Smackdown 3 a 7.8 and I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with that game.

designated_GM3R
02-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Keep in mind that the Raw review you read was courtesy of XBOX.ign staff members.

Professor S
02-12-2002, 03:54 PM
And your point would be?

Those same members have also given XBox games POOR reviews, too. In fact they have only given a small hand full of XBox games the coveted 9.0+ ranking.

So I ask again. What is you point?

Oh wait, it's Kumo... no wonder LOL

Perfect Stu
02-12-2002, 04:10 PM
didn't xbox.ign give DOA3 like 9.4 or something?

if so, a 9.1 for RAW means nothing...

but, meh, I don't care...

Professor S
02-12-2002, 04:14 PM
DOA3 is a good game, but even I wouldn't have given it a 9.4. Its a solid 8.0 or higher though.

But the glaring discrepancies between Gamespots and IGN's reviews make me doubt the validity of gamespots review. Comparing them side by side they are just SO different.

Someone is lying, literally lying about the game, and I trust IGN much more than Gamespot.

Perfect Stu
02-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
DOA3 is a good game, but even I wouldn't have given it a 9.4. Its a solid 8.0 or higher though.

But the glaring discrepancies between Gamespots and IGN's reviews make me doubt the validity of gamespots review. Comparing them side by side they are just SO different.

Someone is lying, literally lying about the game, and I trust IGN much more than Gamespot.

since the reviews are so far apart, then the higher one from IGN must be the "right one"...nice theory :rolleyes:

obviously the game isn't obviously "great" like so many others...cause those games get good reviews everywhere...

but like I said, I don't care

note to self...why am I posting this?

Professor S
02-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Gee, thats why Gamspot XBox forum members are leaving the site left and right...

They have contiually lowballed XBox games HORRIBLY, save a few.

This is because MS doesn't pay any attention to them and doesn't send them advanced copies for review. It is a vendetta.

And I trust IGN because I have trusted them for years, not just because they gave Raw a good review. That would just be silly.

designated_GM3R
02-12-2002, 04:40 PM
And I trust IGN because I have trusted them for years
Question of curiosity... they never happened to let you down, have they?

Professor S
02-12-2002, 04:47 PM
I have trusted them when making virtually every purchase I have made for the last couple years in gaming. I'd say that they are 95% dead on in my view.

But thats just my view, they tend to have the same taste as I do in games, historically. the only game that bought because of their endorsement that I really didn't like was Age of Empires 2. I Well, I liked it, but not nearly as much as they did.

designated_GM3R
02-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Hell, atleast you're being honest.

Professor S
02-12-2002, 04:58 PM
My biggest question is this:

What build did Gamespot review. One of their reviewers (Joe Fielder I believe) said that Gamespot does not get XBox games for review until after they are released. they do not get advanced copies for review. But Gamespot reviewed this game, as I said, days before release.

What did Gamespot review?

Bond
02-12-2002, 05:10 PM
I'm sure if a website gave a highly anticipated game of yours a bad review you wouldn't be very happy.

And I find it rather odd the option to give a user review isn't there.

Perfect Stu
02-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Bond
I'm sure if a website gave a highly anticipated game of yours a bad review you wouldn't be very happy.

like I've said about two or three times, I don't really care. all I did was post the gamespot review...I thought that would add something to this thread...

*shrugs*

Professor S
02-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Stu, I've debated with you before. Don't even try and play allinnocent with me. Yoy knew you were grinning when you posted that.

Null
02-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bond

And I find it rather odd the option to give a user review isn't there.

uers cant really give it a review cuz it aint out yet. :P they'll have a user review on it soon. i seen this on other games too there.

And cant say i didnt expect this. My thoughts have never lied to be about a wrestling game. i could always tell the smackdown games sucks by looking at them. My main reasoning is if the character models look stiff. the game usually isnt good.

All smackdown models series did. they all sucked. i thought the one for PS2 looked stuff. but a friend talked me into it. *hunts that idiot down* and same thoughts for this one.

Once i see the one for GC i can see about that one.... I hope and prey that its good cuz its my last chance of a good wresling game for a while. :(

Professor S
02-12-2002, 08:46 PM
The game is available in certain areas of the country according to www.wwfwrestlinggames.com

By the way, they loved it. But we'll see tomorrow.

EDIT

Well tomorrow has come and gone, and Raw ain't no 6.5 like Gamespot said. Then again, it ain't no 9.1 either.

The gameplay is pretty good once you get used to it, and it does get some getting used to. It takes a lot of strategy and patience to do the big trademark moves, but in the end it kind of makes your Rock Bottom more special.

The only trouble with it is that is that its sometimes TOO hard pull off a move because you depend on your knowledge of you move set, the amount of energy you have and how much the crowd loves you to pull the moves off. You HAVE to know what the combination of the D-pad and buttons do and what their energy value and crowd value is, or you are going to get reversed a lot.

The CAW is ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to other CAW's in the outfit and wrestling move area though. The entrance edit is OUTSTANDING though.

Overall, I give Raw a 8.0 out of 10.0. It ain't great, but its only a few adjustments away from being great.

Perfect Stu
02-15-2002, 12:30 AM
http://www.gamers.com/game/499970

:unsure: :unsure:

Perfect Stu
02-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Stu, I've debated with you before. Don't even try and play allinnocent with me. Yoy knew you were grinning when you posted that.

don't even start with me...

newbies :rolleyes:

Professor S
02-15-2002, 12:41 AM
LOL!!! That site calle Smackdown "awesome". Yeah, they really know what they're talking about when it comes to wrestling games...:rolleyes:

newbies... wow, now I definitely know you don't know what you're talking about.

nWoCHRISnWo
02-15-2002, 12:46 AM
No North American wrestling game has come close to No Mercy, including Raw. Any wrestling game I get is just because wrestling is my life and they're better than every other game anyway for me, except other wrestling games.

With that said, I'd still get WWF Raw if I had an X-Box, but I doubt it'd get more play than WWF No Mercy.

Professor S
02-15-2002, 12:53 AM
Raw ain't No Mercy, and definitely ain't VPW2. Not even close, but its still a good game once you get used to the complex gameplay. It tookme nearly 2 days to get it down, and now I can go through every characters entire movesets in a match no problem.

Your opponent still seems to get up too often too early, but overall this game is much better than anything Acclaim or Yukes has put out in the states. I stand by my rating. This game needs work, but it is still a quality title.

Shadow Fox
02-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo
No North American wrestling game has come close to No Mercy, including Raw. Any wrestling game I get is just because wrestling is my life and they're better than every other game anyway for me, except other wrestling games.

With that said, I'd still get WWF Raw if I had an X-Box, but I doubt it'd get more play than WWF No Mercy. You're right, Chris. I played RAW again this morning @ EB, and I couldn't do a finisher to save my life- that d@mmned crowd meter thing is entirely to difficult to get used to. The regular moves are fine and easy to pull off, but don't expect to do a finisher until you study this wierd-ass game engine a bit.

Will not come close to No Mercy. Plays a tad like it at times, but I seriously believe the only Asmik/AKI experience we will have is X8 come June.

Raw's graphics are kickass, but after that....DOA3 effect...:mad:

I'm still gonna rent this game this weekend, and see how it REALLY ticks; I doubt my mind will change, though...:unsure:

And Strangler, you and I seem to be the only ones slightly impressed with RAW right now- every Xbox fansite I've been to is dogging the game, and alot of Xbox owners are disappointed; Wreckless was another title that wasn't exactly a "must-have".

Hmmm....could it be that Xbox owners are twiddling their thumbs just like GCN owners now?

Perfect Stu
02-15-2002, 11:20 AM
newbies... wow, now I definitely know you don't know what you're talking about.

do you even know why I called you a newbie? because you don't KNOW me like the other people do...

so you can't form a valid opinion of me...

and you're probably from that funxbox site or whatever...and guess what? you should stay there...

Professor S
02-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Stu, how bout you ingnore me and I ignore you from now on? Good, its a deal then.:rolleyes:

As for Raw, the sites that bashed it I don't think spent enough time with the game. I was very dissappointed with this game also at first, but my review has gone up steadily as the days have gone by and now I think its a solid 8 out of 10. Good but not great. Its a B- in college. Above average. I think part of what caused the bad reviews was because of all the previews saying that the gameplay is like No Mercy, and it is to a point but only to a point. It takes a lot of getting used to with the crowd voltage and energy meter. I'm not a big fan of the crowd voltage meter, but its tolerable at least.

The CAW isn't very good though, it needs more clothing and move options. Thats why it doesn't get higher than an 8

The biggest compliment I can give for this game is that I'm still playing it several hours a day. That didn't happen with any other wrestling games besides the Asmik/AKI series, Fire Pro D and Giant Gram 2000 (GREAT CAW in that game, you had to practice to learn moves) The SD series and Acclaim's crap fests were one and done with me.

As for Wreckless, I like it. It needs more features, but I'm not a features whore. Wreckless has solid gameplay (if you say you spin too much, you haven't practiced enough) and an addictive city to drive through bashing everything. I have a great time driving through levels I have already beaten over again. I'd give that game around an 8 out of 10 also.

I don't know why these 2 games are getting such a bad rap. They are good titles, perhaps people's expectations are too high?

Matusha
02-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo

With that said, I'd still get WWF Raw if I had an X-Box, but I doubt it'd get more play than WWF No Mercy.

No Mercy is WAY overrated and aint better than WM2000.

Matusha
02-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

do you even know why I called you a newbie? because you don't KNOW me like the other people do...

Well I know you and know you're a jackass.

Perfect Stu
02-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Matusha

Well I know you and know you're a jackass.

you don't know me, f@ggot

Matusha
02-20-2002, 03:56 PM

you don't know me, f@ggot

Sure I do.Remember Agent Dark?

azazela31
02-20-2002, 04:28 PM
Gamespot gave it a low score because it's much more proffesionl than ign.

IGN is so damn biased... Wreckless, Bloodwake, and other mediocre games somehow manage to get 9.0+!! Soul Reaver 2 somehow manages to get 9.4 at ps2.ign.com!! IGN is a very unreliable site. Althoguh cube.ign.com is VERY harsh when it comes to ports.

Gamespot stated that the lack of modes was the thing that killed the game. Not even a damn career modes, come on let's face!! No replay value, no longelivity, might be great for the first 3 days but then it becomes ultimately shallow.

Professor S
02-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Just keep telling yourself that Gamespot is professional. Maybe you'll eventually believe it yourself.

As for Raw, have you even played the game? Probably not.

azazela31
02-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Just keep telling yourself that Gamespot is professional.

Really??

If ign is so much better how come Bloodwake, Wreckless score above 9.0+??

Silent Hill 2 gets 9.4!! Come on!! Everybody on this board knows that I love the Silent Hill series, and basicly that I'm a maniac when it comes to Silent Hill. But Gamespot's review is much more proffesional 7.9 opposed to IGN's 9.4 because the game has absoluteley no replay value for people who are not fans, and the game is short (about 12 hours). They show people who are not fans of the genre/series if it's good.

IGN is a site for fans, and xbox.ign.com is so damn baised and unreliable that the chances that you will be picking up a mediocre game when it score above 9.0 at IGn ar very high.

Same goes for PS2.ign.com , they are definately biased and overate games.

Matt and Fran (cube.ign.com ) treat ports of games harshly, and they get low score AKA Sonic Adventure 2 which is one of the best platformers out. Then SSX Tricky hardly improves upon the PS2 version and it gets 9. something.

Gamespot is a lot more proffesional than IGN. Can't deny that can you.

Professor S
02-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Azazela, IGN has also given out some horrible reviews for XBox titles like New Legends and Simpson's Road Rage. The fact is that Gamespot reviews the games comparing them to what the XBox can do, and not just on the game alone. If Wreckless came out on a system you owned, you'd blow in your pants right now.

Wreckless is a great game, and so is Raw. I own them both. I didn't like Silent Hill 2, but I didn't like the first one either, I think thats a matter of taste. But Gamspot ripped both Raw and Wreckless for really no reason other than a lack of features. I'd rather have a great game than a lousy one with TONS of features (see Smackdown 3). Oh and Gamespot actually LIKED that horrible sack of crap.

So go sell it to someone who's buying.

azazela31
02-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Azazela, IGN has also given out some horrible reviews for XBox titles like New Legends and Simpson's Road Rage. The fact is that Gamespot reviews the games comparing them to what the XBox can do, and not just on the game alone. If Wreckless came out on a system you owned, you'd blow in your pants right now.

Wreckless is a great game, and so is Raw. I own them both. I didn't like Silent Hill 2, but I didn't like the first one either, I think thats a matter of taste. But Gamspot ripped both Raw and Wreckless for really no reason other than a lack of features. I'd rather have a great game than a lousy one with TONS of features (see Smackdown 3). Oh and Gamespot actually LIKED that horrible sack of crap.

So go sell it to someone who's buying.

True, but if you look into the majority of hyped games that had to turn out as killer aps AKA Wreckless, Bloodwake. They simpily overated them, WHY?? Because they are BAISED.

I compeletly disagree with some of ps2.ign.com reviews.

Soul Reaver 2 9.2 , PLEASE.
Bouncer 8.7 8 hours of gameplay and no depth...
State Of Emergency 8.5 good but not excellent
Maximo 9.something the gameplay is crap, hype, garbage

The games had to deliver, but they didn't. They got high score to keep the fans happy.

That brings us to a second thought

What if Mario, Eternal Darkness, and some other exclusive franshises turn out as mediocre games

But I truly doubt it because those are Nintendo's flagship titles. For example Mario Sunshine has been under development for more than 3.5 years

nWoCHRISnWo
02-26-2002, 12:14 AM
The Strangler, I just read this... But you didn't like Fire Pro D???

And Matusha, I'd like to hear why Wrestlemania is better than No Mercy.

Professor S
02-26-2002, 12:17 AM
No, I like Fire pro a lot, but I think VPW2 is far better.

Geez, I must really sound negative all the time...

BTW, I think WM 2000 is better than No Mercy if just for the fact that WM 2000 didn'thave that HORRIFIC slowdown when you have more than 3 guys on screen. That actually made me avoid the tag team championship story mode all together.

Perfect Stu
02-27-2002, 09:20 AM
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?sys=xbox&game=wwfraw

I guess all sites are biased except for IGN :rolleyes:

Revival
02-27-2002, 10:38 AM
I guess all sites are biased except for IGN :rolleyes:
That's the spirit :lol:

Professor S
02-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Good Lord, Stu...

If I wanted to scour the net for every GOOD Raw review I could and match you tit for tat, but I have better things to do with my life besides be a jackass. You are bitter, lonely person aren't you?

azazela31
02-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Reviews don't mean ****.

ICO, Soul Reaver 2 get above 9.0 on all sites and they suck.

Extreme G3 gets 8 at nearly all sites and it hell of a lot better.

Reviews don't mean ****, half of the PS2/X-Box/GCN games that score 9.0 suck.

Perfect Stu
02-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Good Lord, Stu...

If I wanted to scour the net for every GOOD Raw review I could and match you tit for tat, but I have better things to do with my life besides be a jackass. You are bitter, lonely person aren't you?

I was just making a point...I wasn't making this personal...I think you are the one who might have some type of problem if you have to start calling me a bitter, lonely jackass...

:unsure:

Professor S
02-28-2002, 09:52 PM
So your point is that there are 3 sites out there that have given Raw a bad review. Gee, considering there are about 5 million sites out there I can't believe you found that many.:rolleyes:

As for the point you were trying to make, I know what it was, everyone else knows what it was.

Your little game of innocent hostility hiding behind pretending to be a good little reporter doesn't work. It hasn't ever since I started talking to you. Its quite obvious really.

I had asked you once to ignore me and you didn't. Don't say you weren't replying to me, because that IGN comment was obviously aimed directly at me.

When I have an opinion I come out and say it instead of hiding behind innuendo and yellow journalism. That opinion is that you are a jackass.

Perfect Stu
02-28-2002, 11:35 PM
temper, temper...tsk tsk tsk...

I'm not going to call you names, because quite frankly you're not worth it.

Professor S
03-01-2002, 01:35 AM
Then why don'tyou just do what I asked before, and ignore me as I will you.

If you would have just followed this simple request to begin with we could have avoided this whole situation.

Perfect Stu
03-01-2002, 02:10 PM
Then why don'tyou just do what I asked before, and ignore me as I will you.

If you would have just followed this simple request to begin with we could have avoided this whole situation.

dude...I was showing some reviews from the sites I go to, to show that RAW isn't getting very good reviews...I'm not just gonna let you say that only IGN's review matters...

for some reason you're taking this way too personally...there are tons of games that get mediocre reviews that I enjoy to play, as well...but if someone points the reviews out, I don't go nutty. ;)

I'm holding no hard feelings against you, Strangler...I'm not here at GameTavern to make enemies...just calm down and forget about it...I will no longer post in this thread.

P~S