PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Adventure 2:Battle

BigJustinW
02-11-2002, 12:18 PM
I heard Sonic Adventure 2 battle got a 6.9 from IGN!!!!

is it true? Because I'm not an insider.

if it is true, Sega stuck Nintendo with a pretty bad exclusive game :unsure:

Blackmane
02-11-2002, 12:30 PM
What is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle about? What kind of title is it?

If it is really that bad, then BOO to Sega.

BigJustinW
02-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Blackmane
What is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle about? What kind of title is it?

It's Sonic adventure 2 (exactly like the Dreamcast game) with an added battle mode.

Neo
02-11-2002, 12:34 PM
6.9 is correct

Bad Sound they say, and terrible camera control

BigJustinW
02-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Neo
6.9 is correct

Bad Sound they say, and terrible camera control

I was acctually thinking of giving my Dreamcast to my cousins, and buying Sonic and NBA 2k2 for Cube...

Do they say that it's a decent port, or is it worse than the DC version? (I know the chaos are worse, because I'd rather use a VMU instead of GBA)

Neo
02-11-2002, 12:58 PM
They say the Chaos is a nice feature, but it's not part of the core gameplay. They say the game as a whole is marginally better than the DC version.

Ginkasa
02-11-2002, 03:21 PM
SA2: B got a 6.9 becauee its only a port with very minor differences. They say the graphics are little bit better than the DC's version but not by much (mostly the texture I think). The only other differences are extra characters and stages in the Vs. modes and the Choa link-up with the GBA.

Then none of the problems were fixed from the original, bad voice-acting, camera problems, not enough Sonic/Shadow levels, etc.

That's why it only got a 6.9, not because its a bad game, but because its a port with little difference.

Just so you know, SA2 for the DC got a 9.4 and the GCN version is the same thing except for the differences I mentioned above so if you don't have SA2 for the DC yet and you want it you should get the GCN version.

gekko
02-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Comments
By now I'm willing to gamble that a lot of Sega fans are drafting nasty letters, claiming that IGNcube consists of Nintendo fanboys and we don't like Sonic or Sega. On the contrary however, we love Sega and we've always been a fan of Sonic. It's the 2D Sonics that we like, though, because they are the epitome of the design. It's the move into 3D that has been unpleasant. When I boot up Sonic, I want to take off at lightning speed and never look back. With the shooting and scavenger hunt levels in SA2, though, the design took a turn for the worse. The camera just isn't made to accommodate these types of endeavors and who really wants to spend a third of their time in Sonic's world playing out a simplistic shooter?

I quite enjoy Sega products. I loved Super Monkey Ball (who doesn't?) and am extremely satisfied Sonic Team decided to bring Sonic Adventure 2: Battle to GameCube. It can be a fun game at times, but it can also be extremely frustrating. This is why I'm anticipating the next edition of Sonic. Hopefully an all-new, ambitious take on the franchise custom-tailored to GameCube hardware.

For Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, I recommend renting it. You should get your money's worth out of it in that time. For those of you that played the Dreamcast version, there's little to no reason to pick up the GCN incarnation. The differences in visuals and added multiplayer modes probably aren't worth it unless you're a hardcore fan.
***--Fran Mirabella III
I don't know what the IGNDC guys were smoking when they rated the DC version of Sonic a 9.4. With that, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for GameCube is an improvement on the already released DC version -- it really is. Sega has transferred the hedgehog once more to the realm of 3D without losing any of the frantic pace or unpredictable loops of his 2D ancestors. It's these standard speedster levels that are Sonic Adventure 2's main draw for they never let up. And yet even these are hampered by an unbalanced camera system that is a generation backward from Mario 64 in terms of control and playable visibility.

Worse, though, are the other styles of play: a boring, tedious third-person shooter mode and a poorly executed scavenger hunt mode that unfairly asks players to search out gigantic levels for items whilst doing battle with the title's biggest nemesis, the camera system.

To its credit, Sega has also upped the texture quality over the DC incarnation of the game considerably, which is all the more noticeable in progressive scan mode (and if your television supports this, I highly recommend it). There are also added background objects like trees, rocks and vehicles, and the framerate is super-smooth even in multiplayer mode (which, unfortunately, is a worthless feature).

But improved visuals do not make a good game. And though I love Sega's blue hedgehog, I've been playing videogames long enough to know that when I'm more annoyed by the gameplay mechanics and head-spinning level design than I am satisfied, there is something terribly wrong.

This is not Mario's platformer equivalent. This game has been overrated for far too long. Only recommended to hardcore Sega and Sonic fans. Everybody else should definitely rent this one and see if it's worth pursuing before slapping down the cash for a permanent investment.
***--Matt Casamassina

They don't got a problem with the game, they just don't like Sonic Adventure. Fanboys.

DeathsHand
02-11-2002, 04:01 PM
And just for the record, you can check the scores games get just by going to the list of game reviews (meaning click on "Reviews")... it has the scores of even insider reviews, of course, you don't know why it got that score but meh... :D

What the heck... :burger:

Plastic0006
02-11-2002, 04:44 PM
DA** u ign i hate u ur liars and i liked the game so ha and o yea igns site is cool but i hate them they give bad reviews

BigJustinW
02-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Plastic0006
DA** u ign i hate u ur liars and i liked the game so ha and o yea igns site is cool but i hate them they give bad reviews

It's not IGN...

It's IGN CUBE that gives bad reviews...

"You can upload graduating classes from NCAA 2002, and play in a 30 year franchise"
-Madden 2002 review-

Angrist
02-12-2002, 08:10 AM
I don't know what the IGNDC guys were smoking when they rated the DC version of Sonic a 9.4. With that, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for GameCube is an improvement on the already released DC version -- it really is.
:unsure:

Jason1
02-12-2002, 11:55 AM
SA2 might have been my favorite Dreamcast game. It was really great. And if your devoted, yo will have on hell of a time getting all of the medals or wheatever they are...5 in each level...and If you do get all of them I think you get like a remake of the Green Hill zone...

BigJustinW
02-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
SA2 might have been my favorite Dreamcast game. It was really great. And if your devoted, yo will have on hell of a time getting all of the medals or wheatever they are...5 in each level...and If you do get all of them I think you get like a remake of the Green Hill zone...

IMO, after the game is beat, it becomes a lot harder, and a lot less interesting....

Angrist
02-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW

IMO, after the game is beat, it becomes a lot harder, and a lot less interesting.... You mean like so many games?? :rolleyes:

designated_GM3R
02-12-2002, 03:44 PM
They were merely critiquing the additions to gameplay made through the transition from Dreamcast to the Cube. I tend to stick with the reviews based upon the *original* rendition of the game.

Angrist
02-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Well, you expect GameCube-worthy graphics... and you don't really get them....

Drunk Hobbit
02-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Actually the graphics was the only thing they liked.

Angrist
02-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Ok... :unsure:

BigJustinW
02-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
You mean like so many games?? :rolleyes:

I played through Zelda:OoT, Mario 3, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda:MM, and Madden franchise mode (:p) more than 4 times each, and I would slip it in and play each one again from the start without hesitation.

I played through Sonic Adventure 2 twice, and I cn't stand to play it anymore....

so your point is???

Angrist
02-13-2002, 03:16 PM
so your point is??? My point is that very many games get boring after you beat them. Only super games like Golden Eye and Super Smash Bros are still fun. At least that's my opinion.

Drunk Hobbit
02-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Sonic games are usually very replayable though. I played through Sonic Advance over 6 times since I got it last saturday.

Angrist
02-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
Sonic games are usually very replayable though. I played through Sonic Advance over 6 times since I got it last saturday. :eek: don't you sleep?

Drunk Hobbit
02-13-2002, 06:47 PM
It's a pretty easy game (minus finding the chaos emeralds) and I have Sonic hooked up to my brain from the genesis day...and no, I don't sleep. *quacks like a duck and runs around in circles*

BigJustinW
02-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Sonic games are usually very replayable though. I played through Sonic Advance over 6 times since I got it last saturday.

I agree... I played through Sonic 1, 2, and 3 at least 20 times each :D and I'd play them again if I ha the chance :D

probably because I'm just a big sonic fanboy ;)

but I only played through SA2 twice and I can't stand it...

maybe if they included the ability to have Supersonic in every level, and had not added the non-Sonic levels I would love it.

or maybe they could have left it 2d and brought talis back as a partner ;)

I miss the 2-d days :(

Angrist
02-14-2002, 06:52 AM
I miss the 2-d days :( That's what we have the AGB for, remember?

BigJustinW
02-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
That's what we have the AGB for, remember?

AGB isn't good enough...

I'd rather them make a 2d Sonic game on a console that uses a full TV...

gekko
02-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Me gots SA2 Battle :D Good game, better than the DC version. New Chao stuff ain't bad. Improved graphics are always nice, and finally another progressive scan game!

Here's a little tip, check the DC reviews of this game. The Nintendo reviewers are considering factors like graphics, expect them to be pushing GC to the limit when it's a DC port. Also adding new stuff, and making the game different than the DC game. Case in point, this is the DC game made better.

And I got my first Rouge level out of the way. w00t!

BigJustinW
02-14-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by gekko
Me gots SA2 Battle :D Good game, better than the DC version. New Chao stuff ain't bad. Improved graphics are always nice, and finally another progressive scan game!

Here's a little tip, check the DC reviews of this game. The Nintendo reviewers are considering factors like graphics, expect them to be pushing GC to the limit when it's a DC port. Also adding new stuff, and making the game different than the DC game. Case in point, this is the DC game made better.

And I got my first Rouge level out of the way. w00t!

I'm guessing you haven't beat SA2 for Dreacast before

gekko
02-14-2002, 03:29 PM
No, got about half way through on both stories. I was on a Knuckles and Rouge level, and there I stopped :D

BigJustinW
02-14-2002, 03:30 PM
No, got about half way through on both stories. I was on a Knuckles and Rouge level, and there I stopped :D

Thought so ;)

The first time through, this game is great :D

Drunk Hobbit
02-14-2002, 04:06 PM
2D Sonic game for the cube...with sprites...mouth watering sprites...mouth spriting sprites...mmmmm sprite

BigJustinW
02-14-2002, 05:16 PM
2D Sonic game for the cube...with sprites...mouth watering sprites...mouth spriting sprites...mmmmm sprite

Obey your thirst

Crash
02-15-2002, 03:38 PM
so far sonic is an awesome awesome game... absolutely incredible.... if you never played the dc version, (like me, i have the first one though).... this game is insanity. I love it.

i do recommend it

sega is the super master stud of textures... could be the best texture work i've seen on any console thus far. and any game.

gekko
02-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Just finished the story for Hero. Pissed off... badly.

BigJustinW
02-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Just finished the story for Hero. Pissed off... badly.

Don't worry, the true ending will come after you beat both sides

and uh, as a tip, go to the aquatic mine (Knuckles) and find the breating device... you can't beat the game w/o it

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: Below I'm going to show you how to find it!

1) you dran the water to it's lowest level
2) find a mysterious pit of water somewhere low in the level
3) swim as far as you can go and at the end of the tavern there will be the little green glowing thingy.. inside it will be the device

um... my directions aren't very clear, but hell, you will know what I'm talking about when you find it.

BreakABone
02-16-2002, 11:37 AM
No I think that Gekko is a little mad at me and the game for that matter. He was expecting to play as SuperSonic and well I guess he claims I forgot to tell him that he can't until you beath both sides....

Well I didn't know that was important.. I might just pick this game up again since my GC is going to a drought.

gekko
02-16-2002, 12:29 PM

Don't worry, the true ending will come after you beat both sides

and uh, as a tip, go to the aquatic mine (Knuckles) and find the breating device... you can't beat the game w/o it

Warning: Below I'm going to show you how to find it!

1) you dran the water to it's lowest level
2) find a mysterious pit of water somewhere low in the level
3) swim as far as you can go and at the end of the tavern there will be the little green glowing thingy.. inside it will be the device

um... my directions aren't very clear, but hell, you will know what I'm talking about when you find it.

Hmm... why can't I beat the whole game without it? I already beat the hero side :confused:

BreakABone
02-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Hmm... why can't I beat the whole game without it? I already beat the hero side :confused:

Well first off..You can technically beat the game without it.. It just makes it a whole.. I mean a WHOLE lot easier

And second there are really 3 sides to the story...
Hero,Dark and Final

You can guess what the Hero and Dark stories are but the Final(4get the real name) can only be opened after beating both Hero and Dark and invovles a couple of levels

gekko
02-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Man. I missed quite a few of the green things. 5 to be exact. This is why I like strategy guides, they let me know if I'm about to miss something.

And what's with Sonics mystery melody? I haven't got it to do anything.

Jason1
02-16-2002, 04:04 PM
You have to play the Mystery Melodies next to those statue things. Then something good happens:)

gekko
02-16-2002, 04:47 PM
I played it next to the one in City Escape. Climbed about 30 stories in the air, and all i got was an extra life.

BreakABone
02-16-2002, 04:56 PM
I played it next to the one in City Escape. Climbed about 30 stories in the air, and all i got was an extra life.

Well it's used for the 3rd mission in each level. You have to get the missions loking for the missing Chao and most of them should take you to it.

Gamer
02-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Guys! I am renting a game tonight, is Sonic worth renting??? Quick, i need a response!

BreakABone
02-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Yes Sonic is worth a rent, but the game is over to quick for a full purchase unless you truly love Sonic and can put up with the rest.

gekko
02-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Over too soon? Nah, took a decent amount of time. Does seem shorter than SA though.

Still, if you raise your Chao, you could spent hours upon hours on that alone. Or if you actually care to get all 180 emblems, that takes forever too.

I think it's worth a full purchase, if you play it all the way through. I wouldn't be suprised if you quit as soon as you get stuck on a Rouge or Knuckles level.

Crash
02-16-2002, 09:35 PM
yeah, definately worth a purchase, i LOVE this game... reviews on other sites lie!

BigJustinW
02-17-2002, 11:59 AM
Still, if you raise your Chao, you could spent hours upon hours on that alone. Or if you actually care to get all 180 emblems, that takes forever too.

I have about 120 Emblems right now... the ONLY thing stopping me are the tails and Robotknick levels... I think it's absolutly impossible to collect 100 rings on those stages.... plus I don't know how to get the emblems for Chao...

Gekko, please do me a favor, and go to the Emblem results screen and tell BreakABone it has an area where Chao races give you emblems.

BTW, I like the Knuckles Rouge levels the most... except for that timed rouge one.

gekko
02-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Umm... duh. You get emblems from Chao races. You also get toys for your Chao to play with, and a shovel and stuff to plant the seeds.

And I don't want to piss you off or nothin, but 100 coins in Tails and Robotnik levels are easy :unsure: I won't ever get 180 though, not in the Rouge or Knuckles levels, and I won't get all A grades.

I haven't really messed around with Chao too much. I got 4 going right now. the two that begin in the Chao garden, one evolved into a Hero, and the other is close to evolving into Dark. I also bought a white and gray egg which I'm only giving those tubes too, so they stay that color and don't take on the animal looks. With my Hero Chao I've won the beginner Chao karate, and the Beginner Chao races, and that's about it so far.

I believe to get more emblems you need to win the Jewel Races and the Challenge Races.

BreakABone
02-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Rolling around at the speed of sound,
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out!
Must keep on moving ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Trusting in what you can't see,
Take my lead I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
Trust me and we will escape from the city.
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through prove it to you.

Follow me!
Oh yeah!

Danger is lurking around every turn,
Trust your feelings, got to live and learn.
I know with some luck that I'll make it through,
Got no other options, only one thing to do!
I don't care what lies ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Find the next stage, no matter what that may be.
Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through prove it to you.

Follow me!
Follow me!

Well it's been a while since I played the game.. Might re-purchase it for the Cube just to refresh my memory..

Only waiting for Skies from Sega though

gekko
02-17-2002, 04:22 PM
LOL. You know, that Knuckles song sounds very familiar. Sounds like one I hated from Mirra 2.

And BigGameWTheJustin, you know what all the crap lying around stages is? the cardboard boxes in Rouge's timed level, the tires in City Escape, the PSO capsules in Mad Space? They seem to serve no purpose.

gekko
02-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
Only waiting for Skies from Sega though

That'll be a while. Look how much Monkey Ball stuyff we got before it was released. Look how much Sonic stuff was out before that was released. I wouldn't expect to see Skies until well into this summer. It all depends on what they want to do to it. For all we know, they could be making a Skies for GBA and want the two to connect.

BigJustinW
02-18-2002, 12:11 AM
And BigGameWTheJustin, you know what all the crap lying around stages is? the cardboard boxes in Rouge's timed level, the tires in City Escape, the PSO capsules in Mad Space? They seem to serve no purpose.

As far as I know, in knuckles and Rouge levels, a LOT of things serve no purpose.... sometimes emeralds are hidden in/around them, but they generally serve no purpose.

like in Sonic's jungle level, you can pick up little rocks but you don't do anything with them.... even though I discoverd that it makes vines swing you to different areas (or into the water)

BreakABone
02-18-2002, 12:32 AM

That'll be a while. Look how much Monkey Ball stuyff we got before it was released. Look how much Sonic stuff was out before that was released. I wouldn't expect to see Skies until well into this summer. It all depends on what they want to do to it. For all we know, they could be making a Skies for GBA and want the two to connect.

ARGH.. Everything is in the dog gone summer... Might as well pack up my GC until the summer..ARGH