PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX 5900 (NV35)

Null
05-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Ahhhh, this is the one i been waiting for. :)

The new GeForce FX 5900 will offer significant performance enhancements on the chip company's previous top-of-the-line graphics card.

Nvidia has today announced the GeForce FX 5900, which is code-named NV35 and is expected to offer cutting-edge performance when it ships to retail stores next month. The latest GeForce FX design is a generation beyond the much-delayed GeForce FX 5800, which was announced earlier this year but only saw limited distribution. Even if it's surprising to see Nvidia make such a big jump so soon, it's not hard to explain. A second engineering team was working on the 5900 in parallel with preparations for the original GeForce FX, so the delays didn't affect the new chip's schedule.

The GeForce FX 5900 will make improvements in a number of different areas, with a much quieter cooling system, improved image quality, and higher overall performance. The performance improvements can largely be attributed to the much higher memory bandwidth. Like ATI's Radeon 9700 and 9800, the 5900 features a 256-bit memory bus to roughly double the amount of data that can be transferred to and from the card's memory. This more than offsets the slightly lower clock speeds of the 5900 as compared with the 5800. The chip's core will run at 450MHz and the memory will be running at 425MHz (effectively 850MHz). The chip is being manufactured on a dense .13-micron process.

Apart from raw speed, the 5900 will have some features intended to speed up performance in upcoming games with advanced graphics engines. The CineFX 2.0 pixel shader engine will double performance for some DirectX 9 special effects, including those that use the 128-bit floating-point color standard. The new UltraShadow feature is designed to make it possible for developers to accelerate the new generation of games with dynamic lighting and shadows, like Doom III.

The GeForce FX 5900 is a large card and takes up two expansion slots. But unlike the 5800, the 5900 is a quiet card. With bleeding-edge performance and forward-looking features, the 5900 is aimed at those gaming enthusiasts willing to pay for the best hardware available. Nvidia expects that cards based on the 5900 design will carry a suggested retail price of $499. The new cards are expected to ship in June.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/news/news_6027154.html

will wait to see reviews on it of course. but i have high hopes for this one over the previous Geforce FX

Stonecutter
05-14-2003, 09:18 PM
.......and you can use the exhaust from the 5900 to heat a small apartment!

Null
05-14-2003, 09:27 PM
like a one inch by one inch?

manasecret
05-15-2003, 05:33 PM
$500?! This thing better blow everything else out of the water or else hardcore gamers -- the only type of people who would actually buy a card for that much, but who are also the type of people who know how good it is -- ain't gonna buy it.

Null
05-15-2003, 05:48 PM
yea. but like everyone. thats the top of the top of them there. there will be all the different variations of it at the different prices. and i suspect the top one will only be 400 when it actually does come out.

but no i wouldnt pay THAT much. but i would buy some form of it.

Cyrax9
05-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Well well, little help here Pika, is it LINUX Compatible!?!?!?

I REALLY Want the NV35 since it's BNOT a Dustbuster/Blowdryer/Leafblower (Pick a random name for the NV30) nor does it seem to take up half of your case and it kicks the cr@p out of ATi's Radeon 9800's so I'm curoius, is the GeForce FX 9500 Ultra worth it, and is it 'nix compatible?

If so it's going in my next PC and if not I guess it's back to the *old* NVidia Cards, but please mroe info on the NV35, I'm pleased to see this car finally ake it out--without sounding like a banshee screaming about a broken finger nail ;)

Jonbo298
05-22-2003, 07:46 AM
It seems Nvidia finally fixed the problems of the first release. I've heard enough complaints about the noise the thing makes, and how some things aren't better. Well, round 2 will be interesting.

Cyrax9
05-30-2003, 03:10 AM
Johnbo the first card, from waht I was told souned like "An airplae getting read for liftoof if you were standing under the porpoeller" you KNERW someone ahd oen bcasue you could HEAR it three blocks away!

I know 3dFX's Voodoo5 had some problems and NVidia bought them out, so they probably bought the problems as well as the technology the NV35 may very well be my next Graphics card though. TIme ot upgrade the GefOrce3 already.