PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube 2 confirmed.. s'more

Crash
05-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Nintendo announced at their E3 press conference that they are well into development of the GameCube 2. They also added that no one would have a head start on them. Whether this means that they are to launch the console early or something totally different, we will have more as news reaches us.

Yoda9864
05-16-2003, 06:29 PM
I wonder if it will actually be called Gamecube 2 and if so, will it be a cube? I guess it couldn't cuz it would look just like the GC.

*shrugs and walks away*

Perfect Stu
05-16-2003, 06:36 PM
The might have as much as a 1 year head start on Sony, too. I heard that SCE wants to release PS3 holiday 2006...they think that the PS2 will be going strong until at least then, and they feel that the PSP will breathe some life into the system if needed.

I guess that would be good news for Nintendo fans?

Jonbo298
05-16-2003, 06:52 PM
I hope all 3 companies release their consoles around the same period. I want to see some real competition. Not the crap I've seen this generation. But hey, at least Nintendo is saying that they are well in development of the next console, like I didn't know that already. *hopes to get into next year's E3 since I know all 3 companies will show off what's in store next year (2005)*

GameMaster
05-17-2003, 12:14 AM
I hope Nintendo doesn't release it much earlier than the other consoles. They need to release it around the same time.

GameKinG
05-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Hmm, well I dunno. I think if they released at the same time it would draw more attention to all of them more than if gamecube released a year early. People may not take notice of this new generation unless they see that everyone is. And I think more people will notice when Sony change's their console.

GameMaster
05-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Will someone post up a fake artist's rendition of what the Gamecube2 is supposed to look like?

GameKinG
05-17-2003, 12:55 AM
http://ebroadcasters.com/jon/newconsole.jpg

http://www.bleutuna.com/nes_advance.jpg

http://www.ebroadcasters.com/jon/bleu.jpg

People were convince this was real, but it was really made in an IGN contest as well as the above pics:

http://www.futurebytes.ch/images/news/nintendo_nexus_large.jpg

Jonbo298
05-17-2003, 01:27 AM
I still love the rendition that was made for the Nintendo Nexus. It would be cool if Ninty actually used that.:)

bobcat
05-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
I still love the rendition that was made for the Nintendo Nexus. It would be cool if Ninty actually used that.:)
lol @ Nintendo Nexus

Joeiss
05-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
I hope all 3 companies release their consoles around the same period. I want to see some real competition. Not the crap I've seen this generation.

How was this generation crap? You saw two of the most powerfull gaming consoles go almost head to head in release dates! How did that disappoint you?

fingersman
05-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Joeiss
How was this generation crap? You saw two of the most powerfull gaming consoles go almost head to head in release dates! How did that disappoint you?

Cause Nintendo's not winning hands down. :p

Perfect Stu
05-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by fingersman
Cause Nintendo's not winning hands down. :p

yeah Joe...I thought that was pretty obvious :p

Joeiss
05-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Well, if I was the one who said it, you know that Jonbo would just start crying.

Shadow_Link
05-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Joeiss

I think what he meant was that the same thing 'could' happen if one console was released before the others. You know, how the PS2 has totally dominated this generation.

Anyways, even that's questionable. Sometimes releasing a console earlier than others might not help. It all depends on how the console is hyped/adveritsed coming up to its launch, with a fair selection of games at launch.

Joeiss
05-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Ex. Dreamcast

TheGame
05-17-2003, 01:32 PM
hmmph... release too early and end up like Sega, release too late and end up like GCN... not releasing at the same time as Sony is a gamble.

BUT

If Nintendo (unlike Sega) plans to get some major support from EA through that first year, I think they may have a chance of taking a good lead... Us madden fans flock to the best version avalable, and Nintendo could have it for that year

Xantar
05-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Certainly Nintendo should strive to make an appealing console and launch it at the same time as Sony's next console. Even if Sony designs a great system (more on that later), the Nintendo fanboys alone should gobble up initial shipments and get hardware moving. Then the console will be moving on word of mouth rather than rumor and hype. At that point, Nintendo just has to make sure the good games are there.

The real question is whether or not Sony manages a good launch for the system. They very well might. On the other hand, they might flub it. Remember the PS2 launch? There were shortages, first generation machines were liable to break, it was hard to develop for, there were only two controller ports and the software lineup was none too dazzling. Imagine what would have happened if the Xbox with Halo had launched at the same time (ok, so it never would have happened, but just for the sake of argument). The PS2 might have still survived on its name, but Sony would have gotten a pretty big black eye.

If Sony gets a solid launch, then its name in the industry may very well make it impossible to beat (although competitors may come close). But if Sony drops the ball, there will be a very different story.

TheGame
05-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Xantar
If Sony gets a solid launch, then its name in the industry may very well make it impossible to beat (although competitors may come close). But if Sony drops the ball, there will be a very different story.

Yep... if Sony drops the ball they don't have timing to save them again... but if it's a strong well-planned launch, then I just don't see them losing no matter when they launch. I think the only way they could really screw it up is by having no big name titles ready (Ps2's launch was weak, but it still had three big name games, Madden, Tekken, and Ridge Racer)

Cyrax9
05-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Well tis IS good news, now I just hope Nintendo ins't thorwing a Toaster into te GC 2 the way Sony is with the PSX.

Actually I HOPE they use the name "GameCube II" with the Roman Numerals (looks more mature in overall asthetics) and that tyhe PRIMARY Color is SILVER (as opposed ot curren Black GCNs) and they could kep the cube shape and just revamp some f the overall astehtics lke the accetns on the System and whatnot, it'd be cool with me, maybe make it a "True Cube" as opposed to a Cube-shaped system. GC II is were I'm putting my money as the big comeback for the Big N

Neo
05-30-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
I wonder if it will actually be called Gamecube 2 and if so, will it be a cube? I guess it couldn't cuz it would look just like the GC.

*shrugs and walks away*

It will be a 4-Dimensional Hypercube. It won't sell well because it will be constantly phasing in and out of the retail stores.

TheGame
05-30-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Cyrax9
Well tis IS good news, now I just hope Nintendo ins't thorwing a Toaster into te GC 2 the way Sony is with the PSX.

you mean Ps2? Because I don't even count PSX as a console... It's just a piece of hardware that can play Ps2 games.

GC II is were I'm putting my money as the big comeback for the Big N

GCN2 is where I'm putting my money as the end of Nintendo, especially if it has a name like GCN2 :p

Crash
05-30-2003, 02:56 AM
iwata just had a press conference for the gcnII. He said he was working on other franchises that would surpass mario and pokemon, and had a budget of 8 billion dollars for the next project..... 8 BIIIIIILLLLLIOOOON

source: www.cube-europe.com

the guys there are freaking, cause a european billion is equivilant to an american trillion!!

TheGame
05-30-2003, 03:14 AM
you mean 6 billion... and that's a lot of money. Nintendo must be going from broke next gen, either it will be a huge success and Nintendo will rule again, or huge failure and Nintendo will be done.

and a billion in Euro isn't a trillion here :p... not even close

bobcat
05-30-2003, 06:39 AM
hmm.

I'll just wait and c.

Though I will be looking forward to the Gc2 :D

Xantar
05-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Nintendo's famous war chest is 6 billion dollars. Kind of hard to believe that they're throwing the entire thing at the project, but I guess if they remain profitable, they can make it back.

What Crash meant about the million and billion comment is actually true if you're talking about the British. 1,000,000 to the British is a "million." 1,000,000,000 is a "million million." And I believe what comes after that is billion, trillion, quadrillion etc.

However, when they talk about a billion in that article, I think they just mean nine zeros after the one. I don't know why. Maybe that "million million" term has gone out of use.

One Winged Angel
05-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Cyrax9

This is Nintendo we're dealing with, you don't have to worry about them adding crap like what Sony is doing with the PSX

gekko
05-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Shouldn't 1,000,000,000 be a thousand million? Makes more sense than a million million, which should be like having a million stacks of $1,000,000.

One Winged Angel
05-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Brits are just stupid like that -_-

BreakABone
05-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I think there seems to be a bit of confusion on this issue. First off, I believe Nintendo said they would spend a portion of the 6 billion dollars to work on the successors to both the GameCube and GameBoy Advance. Secondly, they are hard at work on projects that they hope could replace Mario and PokeMon in the next generation (My guess is they mean something to phase them out a bit not get rid of them entirely). And the 6 billion dollars is the value of their cash reserves in USD. I really don't see them spending all of hat next-gen.

Perfect Stu
05-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Nintendo is betting the farm? :eek:

For years I've wanted them to take much bigger risks, but throwing the word 'budget' out the window is damn-near insanity. Unless there are a few misinformed parties involved in this whole situation.

Nintendo has the talent, they have the money, they have the experience of being the top dog for a long time in different markets. The things that are holding them back, in my mind:

-conservative attitude
-stubbornness
-poor marketing and PR

As well as a poor understanding for modern concepts.

This news is hopefully one of many steps forward for Nintendo. The potential is still there, and it's why I remain open-minded despite what anyone else says.

One Winged Angel
05-30-2003, 04:53 PM
I jsut hope they don't mess up like what Sega did.

Dyne
05-30-2003, 05:08 PM
gcn2: Megaton? Could be.

Perfect Stu
05-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Dyne
gcn2: Megaton? Could be.

Megaton is not an actual, physical thing. It's a way of life :D

bobcat
05-31-2003, 11:29 PM
I can tell you one thing......

Megaton is notagem

:unsure:

Jonbo298
06-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
The things that are holding them back, in my mind:

-conservative attitude
-stubbornness
-poor marketing and PR

Since the main stubborn man of Nintendo is gone and Iwata seems to be pointing Nintendo in a more competitive manner, I expect most if not all those problems you mentioned to be overcome. Their marketing is getting better, their attitude is to actually fight with the other companies, and they are slowly but surely listening to gamers/consumers now to see what we want and not just what Nintendo wants. So hopefully they continue this new trend because they will at least stand a chance next gen.

CrOnO_LiNk
06-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

-conservative attitude
-stubbornness
-poor marketing and PR

This news is hopefully one of many steps forward for Nintendo. The potential is still there, and it's why I remain open-minded despite what anyone else says.

Although it's sad, it's also true. Looking back at Nintendo's history, you are right, they have been doing those stuff you mentioned. :unsure:

I like Nintendo for their games. Just about all their games are quality titles. But those 3 things need to go away for them to successfully win the "Console War".

Shadow_Link
06-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
Although it's sad, it's also true. Looking back at Nintendo's history, you are right, they have been doing those stuff you mentioned. :unsure:

I like Nintendo for their games. Just about all their games are quality titles. But those 3 things need to go away for them to successfully win the "Console War".

Well, since Yamauchi has left the building, things have been quite different. Given time, I'm sure Iwata will probabaly do something. You can already see some of the differences.

CrOnO_LiNk
06-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
Well, since Yamauchi has left the building, things have been quite different. Given time, I'm sure Iwata will probabaly do something. You can already see some of the differences.

Yeah, but if you think about it, ever since Iwata came along, they only lost the conservative attitude. They still have stubbornness, poor marketing, and PR.

I think Nintendo has to learn the process of business. I am not one to talk, but they have been in this game for a long time now, they should understand what helps them along with what hurts them.

A good example is Squaresoft (SquareEnix now...), just take a good glimpse of how well they advertise and sell thier games.

How many of you liked the Mario Sunshine commercial?
How many of you liked the Kingdom Hearts commercial?

Now I am not saying the game sold good just because of the good commercial, but you got to admit, it did help a lot. Seeing the commercial for Kingdom Hearts made me want the game even more. But seeing the commercial for Mario Sunshine, I was just speechless and dissappointed in Nintendo.

bobcat
06-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
Yeah, but if you think about it, ever since Iwata came along, they only lost the conservative attitude. They still have stubbornness, poor marketing, and PR.

I think Nintendo has to learn the process of business. I am not one to talk, but they have been in this game for a long time now, they should understand what helps them along with what hurts them.

A good example is Squaresoft (SquareEnix now...), just take a good glimpse of how well they advertise and sell thier games.

How many of you liked the Mario Sunshine commercial?
How many of you liked the Kingdom Hearts commercial?

Now I am not saying the game sold good just because of the good commercial, but you got to admit, it did help a lot. Seeing the commercial for Kingdom Hearts made me want the game even more. But seeing the commercial for Mario Sunshine, I was just speechless and dissappointed in Nintendo.

True.

It's a shame. Nintendo do have some good ads though (especially the Yoshi's Island one). And Zelda's is pretty good.

That's the reason why Nintendo aren't keeping up with Sony for sales. If they had the advertising of Sony, I'm sure they would have many more sales than currently.

But making ads etc is easier said than done i'm sure. We don't know how much the head guys of Nintendo are allocating for marketing etc, but it should be a lot more.

Kingdom Hearts ad is good, so are generally all of Sqauresofts ads.

As per the games themselves, well they both own IMO.

Yoda9864
06-02-2003, 01:55 AM
I don't even remember a Super Mario Sunshine ad, which goes to show the ammount of advertising by Nintendo. I remember the one for Super Smash Bros.. It shows DK, Pikachu, Mario and Yoshi prancing and holding hands in a meadow, then all of a sudden they starts smacking each other around. That was awesome.

Stonecutter
06-02-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
I don't even remember a Super Mario Sunshine ad,

You don't!

"Clean is better than dirty"

Remember now?

I think that ad single-handedly cost the game about 25,000 sales.

And I'm sure it won't be called gamecube 2 but does anyone want to bet they give it a name that's easy to slap on all of thier franchiese like "super" or "64"? They missed the boat with gamecube.

TheGame
06-02-2003, 04:19 AM
Nintendo 256 ;)

Either way they better buy out Aki and make them create wrestling games for THQ

Shadow_Link
06-02-2003, 07:37 AM
True, they really need to start making more, and better adverts. Try and emulate the Metroid Prime ad. The ads for the GBA: SP are pretty good too.