PDA

View Full Version : Sony's PSP vs. Ninendo's GBA

Joeiss
05-13-2003, 04:30 PM
http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3141

Nintendo answered some questions about the PSP today... And I am sorry, but it kind of seems like they are taking the PSP a bit lightly...

""Q: With the announcement of the PSP, what will GBA have to do to hold the market?

A: We just heard the announcement, and their launch date is Q4 2004 with no price point yet. It seems very Sony-like to me. Nintendo is in control of the handheld market, so we're not worrying about it. We'll just keep on innovating in games.

Q: If Nintendo pursues its current strategy, are you comfortable with where you are or do you want to be the leader?

A: The more our competitors move away from gaming, the stronger we will get for sticking with pure gaming. ""

Hmm... PS2 is killing the GCN... I think that they would be a bit more "scared" or something... Precautious maybe about the PSP.. lol... Oh well! We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

TheGame
05-13-2003, 04:53 PM
the PSP will give handhel gaming the boost it needs... Ninendo's old chap techology shall end because nintendo no longer has the bigger name :p

I think if the PSP fails, at worst it push Nintendo to new levels

fingersman
05-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3141

A: It seems very Sony-like to me. Nintendo is in control of the handheld market, so we're not worrying about it. . '

That's the reason why Nintendo should worry. Last time they took on that same attitude Sony began the console market leader.

Joeiss
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
I know... They were cruising along with the SNES... But then PSX took over. And the PS2.

Shadow_Link
05-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by TheGame
the PSP will give handhel gaming the boost it needs... Ninendo's old chap techology shall end because nintendo no longer has the bigger name :p

With what you've said about how Nintendo's outdated handheld technology in the past (which i agree with), I don't agree with the 'boost' that the PSP will bring. From what I have read, it should have somewhat similar capabilities to the PSOne.

But come on, in Q4 2OO4, wouldn't that just be as outdated as the GBA is today, though it should be better technologically than the GBA, it would still be outdated stuff. It all depends on the price of the PSP though, if it comes in at around the $100, it would be okay I guess. I also heard the battery's will be rechargable, so that's good.

Who knows what Nintendo will do? I think Iwata has already expressed the importance of releasing their next gen system the same time as the competitors, so they will probably think of making a new handheld. The GBA would have been or for around 5 years by the time the PSP comes out right?

This should make things interesting though, Sony shouldn't be counted out just because Nintendo have a stranglehold on the handheld market. Though with the things Nintendo have been doing recently, they may react differently than before?

bobcat
05-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Yeh that's a pretty arrogant attitude to have. And that's where it hit them hard last time.

Although I do think it'd be REALLY difficult to break the GBA market. But anything is possible.

CrOnO_LiNk
05-13-2003, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the PSP starts to outsell or "beat" the GBA in anyway.

But damn, quarter 4, 2004...? That's a long way.

Perfect Stu
05-15-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm so happy that Sony is entering the handheld business...that market really needs a kick in the ass, and they'll be the ones to do it. They'll take handheld gaming to new, trendier, more mass appeal levels than GameBoy is currently...I have no doubt of that.

Kudos for Sony for calling it the 'Playstation Portable'. The PS brand name has overwhelming power now...that was the right thing to do.

The PSP is expected to be a little more powerful than PSone, plus the games will be running at a higher resolution. Disc capacity is huge, so there really aren't any limitations there. I can't wait to see what SCE can do with what some people are calling the 'Walkman of the 21st century' :D

oh, and

The more our competitors move away from gaming, the stronger we will get for sticking with pure gaming

LMAO

Yep...I can tell they're getting much stronger...what are they battling for now? More than half of 26% of the console market? And their monopolized marketshare of the handheld market will change when the PSP arrives. But make sure you keep reminding your faithful followers that you're the only company to stick with 'pure gaming', Nintendo...:lol:

Null
05-15-2003, 04:26 PM
is it Playstation Portable. or Playstation Pocket. gamespot calls it pocket. *shrug*

none the less. nintendo doesnt take anything seriously. nothings a threat to them. you could prolly go up to them right now and ask do you see the PS2 as a threat to your console business. and they'd be like. Oh no, people dont want a dvd player so its not a threat to us. we're just gameing. people dont want online gaming either. we're just offline gaming.

nintendo has no idea what people want. Actually the idea of combining things is what people want. they want thier palm piolets that are handhelds. they like thier toaster ovens that are also refigerators. :p

The fact that this PSP might be more then just gaming makes it that much more appealing. i defently wont ever buy another portable game machine. But if this little sucker turns out to be a portable multimedia device i would give it some thought. and use it to do everything from Games, to movies in Wide screen (woot) and music.

thats what im hoping it would turn out to be.

and that wide screen is VERY appealing. hehe

BreakABone
05-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I find this arguement rather funny, I mean for all intents and purposes the PSP is about 2 years off, the GBA has a fanbase of like a gazillion people, yet the PSP has a chance?

If I remember correctly, Sega was a major player in the console industry, they had vastly superior handhelds that even mimicked console games at that time, yet the GB survived. It has been released and re-released so many times and yet people buy it.

I mean folks claim it's impossible to beat Sony for the same advantage the GBA has over any handheld, but since it's a Sony handheld it's different? I'm not seeing the point in that?

I mean the disc may be huge and whatnot, but there are some genres that won't work on a handheld. I mean imagine a ggame with extended cutscene on the GBA? it's all cool and whatnot on a console, you have time, on a handheld, you play while on the bus, on a break, while on a trip or something. You don't want to spend large amounts of time looking at text. I really don't see what this PSP will do other than have nice graphics, but I'm sure since you all played these great games you can tell me how it's gonna jumpstart the handheld industry.

Null
05-15-2003, 04:38 PM
yes it does have a chance. if it turns out to be the portable multimedia device.

if it was a pure portable game system, i doubt people would buy another portable. expecially with the sheer amount of games GBA has.

but if it can play the movies, play the music. and all that stuff. it has a chance.... Of course im assuming there would be some way to burn your own movies and songs onto one of these discs.

theres a lot of ifs an buts........as far as game to game. it would not beat GBA. as i said before. kids are the ones that use the portables more. and they arent going to have the money to buy yet another portable.

but it looks like sony is trying to target an older audience.

Perfect Stu
05-15-2003, 05:08 PM
whoa whoa whoa

PSP won't even be in the same generation as GBA...it will take a LONG time to catch up in sales...I don't think Sony really cares about GBA's installed base, I think they just want to sell as many PSP's as possible and gather as much support in the handheld market as possible for years to come.

gekko
05-15-2003, 05:39 PM
More than 13 million Game Boy Advances have sold in 2 years. Nintendo should be scared? Give me a break folks.

Handhelds have always attracted kids more than adults. Sony is trying to grab a completely different market, where they have no name. They can go with the wannabe PDA, but it'll end up like Nokia's machine.

Sony's not going to do very well. Nintendo doesn't need to feel threatened. And they are completely right, the more Sony ventures away from gaming, the better off Nintendo will be. Fads come and go, but at the end, Nintendo will still be there, and the gamers will go back to Nintendo.

But more power to them if they want to try.

TheGame
05-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Gekko, GBA's outsell GCN, that means GBA owners own Ps2, and there is a good chance that most GBA owners own Ps2s... so how do they have no name in that market?

Sony is the biggest name in the game industry, period. Nintendo had that crown, but thier ignorance killed them... if Sony could step into the game industry as a whole and dominate Nintendo's console, why can't they do it in the handheld market?

I like this quote

"Sony is trying to grab a completely different market, where they have no name."

They have a MUCH bigger name then the had when they first started making consoles, and still dominated...

GameKinG
05-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Instead of the ussual 99% of the market I forsee Nintendo with...89%

Which would a huge accomplishment considering the handhelds that have crumbled in try. I see it as good thing for Nintendo too. They need some competition, no fun playing chess by yourself.

BreakABone
05-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Gekko, GBA's outsell GCN, that means GBA owners own Ps2, and there is a good chance that most GBA owners own Ps2s... so how do they have no name in that market?
Well if the console/handheld market crossed over so wel don't you think the sales of the Cube would have been better?

Sony is the biggest name in the game industry, period. Nintendo had that crown, but thier ignorance killed them... if Sony could step into the game industry as a whole and dominate Nintendo's console, why can't they do it in the handheld market?
I don't see why everyone is comparing the PSX/N64 situation with the GBA and well anything.

Even though Nintendo was the market leader, they were entering the console market on somewhat equal footing as Sony since they were releasing a new console as well.

In this case, Nintendo's console is long out and has an establisted fanbase. It's gonna take a helluva an effort to get their fanbase plus the support of developers.

I mean logically speaking, would a developer develop for a handheld with an install userbase of 35 million or one with none? Will gamers buy a handheld with a couple of games or go with one that has over a thousand?

I like this quote

"Sony is trying to grab a completely different market, where they have no name."

They have a MUCH bigger name then the had when they first started making consoles, and still dominated...

Handheld and console has for the most part pretty much remained seperate. Even though Nintendo fell from grace somewhat on the console side, their handheld has always done well, and it's not for a lack of competition. In it's time The GB in all it's forms has dealt with many handhelds the Nomad, GameGear, Game.com, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan and many others.

And the PSP is still a ways off, who's to say Nintendo won't re-release yet another update to the GBA, I mean the SP was announced and sjipped in like 2 months.

Also what part of the market will Sony grab? The GBA unlike consoles seems to go past age or anything. I mean you will see little kids, teens, adults, everybody using a GBA or one of it's forms.

gekko
05-15-2003, 10:46 PM

Don't mix facts. Sony has no name in the handheld market in the same way Nintendo has no name in the TV industry.

Sony is the biggest name in the game industry, period.

No, Sony has the best selling console of today. Nintendo has been around longer, with more generations of people growing up with Nintendo as a household name. Plus, Nintendo still owns the handheld market. Sony makes a successful console, Nintendo is responsible for the survival of the game industry, has been around for over a quarter century, completely dominates the handheld industry, and their games are widely regarded as the best in the world.

Nintendo had that crown, but thier ignorance killed them... if Sony could step into the game industry as a whole and dominate Nintendo's console, why can't they do it in the handheld market?

Sony had a lucky break. Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for over a decade. You just don't step in and chance that, in the same way Nintendo and Microsoft can't just walk in and expect PS2 to crumble. You may survive, but you're sitting 2nd chair, by a long shot.

In that case, maybe you should try reading the quote a few more times. Don't know what you're talking about. What I am saying is that Sony tries to target the adult gamer with PS2. Their current audience, the ones with whom they have a name, is not the same people that buy handheld machines. Handhelds are mainly played by the younger demographic, the kind Sony seemed to want to avoid for the last 6 years. The one that so many people say belongs to Nintendo.

bobcat
05-16-2003, 09:37 AM
I think you also have to look @ it from a developers point of view.

Just because Sony dominates the console market, doesn't automatically mean it will dominate the handheld. Competition I don't even think will come into it.

The GBA is in a league of its own. Titles are selling immensley. Why would developers want to even comprehend risking all this just to go with a more powerful/versatile handheld device? .

Even if they were just to port a few titles, or exclusively make some, it would take a VERY long time to even catch up to half of GBA's ownage in handheld.

DeathsHand
05-16-2003, 01:33 PM
I think a lot of people (especially people who don't like Sony, or like Nintendo more) are obviously gonna think the thing's gonna crash and burn... Or not do nearly as well as GB... And it might, but with the PS name (and some good developer support, graphics, and no crazy high price), it could stand a chance... Handhelds are mainly for kids, yada blah, but I mean first of all you probably only say that because it's small, portable, and cheap... But are there facts that actually say that? I mean I could go ahead and say back in the SNES day, most gamers were kids and then Sony came along and brought it to more mainstream adults (which is actually partially true, since they did help gaming become more mainstream and not just some dorky kid thing anymore)... And they did just fine...

And I highly doubt Sony is planning on jumping into the race 3 years after GBA and expecting to catch up in sales... Maybe they're trying to do something like getting a jump on the NEXT GB... Or trying to get their foot in the door of the handheld market...

I'm not saying oooo this handheld is teh best thing since sliced bread omg down with Nintendo Sony shall destroy them at their own game!11 I'm just saying I think it could be some worthy competition... And is that really a bad thing?

I remember at the beginning of this generation, Nintendo fans were saying some of the exact same things... Oooo with PSX Sony just got a lucky break, yada yada, blah blah, PS2 is having problems, NGC will return Nintendo to the glory days of SNES!... Did that happen? No...

Now it's about the handheld market and people are saying "I doubt they can make it in this market, with PSX they just got lucky blah blah!"... And while maybe they did just get lucky, it doesn't mean they don't have a chance... with PSX they came into the market with ABSOLUTELY NO name recognition... Going into the handheld market, at least now they have recognition in the gaming industry in general... And while handheld and home consoles are a bit different, it's still just videogames...

And sorry that I ramble too much

TheGame
05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Well if the console/handheld market crossed over so wel don't you think the sales of the Cube would have been better?

No, I think GBA is the second priority compared to the Cube... and I think handheld sales reflect ther console counterpart, not the other way around. Now, the reason GBA doesn't reflect the GCN is simply because Sony hasn't enterd the handheld market yet.

I don't see why everyone is comparing the PSX/N64 situation with the GBA and well anything.

Even though Nintendo was the market leader, they were entering the console market on somewhat equal footing as Sony since they were releasing a new console as well.

In this case, Nintendo's console is long out and has an establisted fanbase. It's gonna take a helluva an effort to get their fanbase plus the support of developers.

I mean logically speaking, would a developer develop for a handheld with an install userbase of 35 million or one with none? Will gamers buy a handheld with a couple of games or go with one that has over a thousand?

you are as ignorant as Nintendo if you believe this...

Also, I'm not saying PSP has a chance of outselling GBA overall, but it has a chance of beating it month to month, and even worse, beating out Nintendo's next handheld release.

By your moronic logic, why develop games for GCN if the Psx is out there with an 100 million person userbase??? Any reason you could give for GCN in this case, I could give for the PSP... so take your logic and flush it.

Handheld and console has for the most part pretty much remained seperate. Even though Nintendo fell from grace somewhat on the console side, their handheld has always done well, and it's not for a lack of competition. In it's time The GB in all it's forms has dealt with many handhelds the Nomad, GameGear, Game.com, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan and many others.

When has a company with a bigger name in the Console industry came and competed with Nintendo in the Handheld industy? Never. The closest thing was Sega, and Game Gear didn't do terrible, it just didn't win, just like Genesis vs SNES, didn't to terrible, but didn't win.

Also what part of the market will Sony grab? The GBA unlike consoles seems to go past age or anything. I mean you will see little kids, teens, adults, everybody using a GBA or one of it's forms.

the same part Psx grabbed when games were supposed to be "just for kids"

Also, if you haven't noticed, kids like mature games more than cartoony games... so if it remains a kid-only market Sony still has a chance.

TheGame
05-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by gekko
Don't mix facts. Sony has no name in the handheld market in the same way Nintendo has no name in the TV industry.

The handheld market is only a faction of the "game" industry, where Sony has the biggest name.

No, Sony has the best selling console of today. Nintendo has been around longer, with more generations of people growing up with Nintendo as a household name. Plus, Nintendo still owns the handheld market. Sony makes a successful console, Nintendo is responsible for the survival of the game industry, has been around for over a quarter century, completely dominates the handheld industry, and their games are widely regarded as the best in the world.

:rolleyes:

at a time you could say the same thing for Atari... right now, they are simply not on top, period. If they were, GCN would have at LEAST demolished Xbox.

Sony had a lucky break. Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for over a decade. You just don't step in and chance that, in the same way Nintendo and Microsoft can't just walk in and expect PS2 to crumble. You may survive, but you're sitting 2nd chair, by a long shot.

Lucky break??? Sony came in with weaker hardware and no name and beat the hell out of the champion (at that time)... Sony comes in with weaker hardware again, and beats the hell out of them, again. Lucky break my ass.

In that case, maybe you should try reading the quote a few more times. Don't know what you're talking about. What I am saying is that Sony tries to target the adult gamer with PS2. Their current audience, the ones with whom they have a name, is not the same people that buy handheld machines. Handhelds are mainly played by the younger demographic, the kind Sony seemed to want to avoid for the last 6 years. The one that so many people say belongs to Nintendo.

You know, Ps2 isn't selling only to adults... like I said to BAB, Kids like Adult games more than cartoonish kid games. I dunno why, but they prefer "cool" over "kiddy"

Sony realized this in the console industry, and dominatd, MS knows it, that's why they are keeping up with Nintendo... and Nintendo is blind to it, that why they haven't shown any improvment sales wise after the SNES.

Seven7
05-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Here is a site I found that has Japanese text but still has pics of the PSP disks and system info.... HERE (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20030514/psp.htm) .. :D

Also there is at least one guy out there making his version of a portable version of PS1..
HERE (http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp//PSp/PSpMain1.jpg) or at Main Page (http://www.classicgaming.com/vscp/) at about 2/3rds down page. He has plans for other newer systems too if you look around you'll see.

GameKinG
05-19-2003, 10:21 AM
The console market wasnt as dominated by Nintendo as the handheld is, and GBA is already a huge success.

DeathsHand
05-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GameKinG
The console market wasnt as dominated by Nintendo as the handheld is, and GBA is already a huge success.

So I guess Nintendo has no chance of ever overthrowing Sony because they're pretty much dominating the console market? I doubt any Nintendo fans would agree to that...

Perfect Stu
05-19-2003, 07:03 PM
I doubt the PSP will compete head-to-head with the GBA/GBA2. I'm thinking the PSP will be a portable gaming system, music and movie player. I think the PSP will be a multi-media handheld, not just a 'pocket console'. It's Sony's way of taking handheld devices (other than cell phones) mass market/mainstream. If the PSP acts as a decently priced portable movie player, it could find a completely new market and attract gamers and non gamers alike.

GameKinG
05-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Well, probably not this generation or next even. For Nintendo to over throw just the name of PS alone (I think its obvious thats where most sales end up coming from) it would be a continual proccess of waring it down. Now sony has what 70%, 75? GB has 98, or something like that.

DeathsHand
05-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, probably not this generation or next even. For Nintendo to over throw just the name of PS alone (I think its obvious thats where most sales end up coming from) it would be a continual proccess of waring it down. Now sony has what 70%, 75? GB has 98, or something like that.

Well Nintendo's loss of control of the market happened pretty fast...

NES: Ruled the world
SNES: Kind of half and half, a bit of a lead over Genisis I think
N64: Lost to Sony by quite a bit

yep...

But eh wuteva...

Jonbo298
05-19-2003, 08:40 PM
But at least Nintendo's quality didn't go down over the years. They still create classics to this day. But I also think Sony will have their own niche in the handheld market. Nintendo is the only one that makes consoles/handhelds for games and not all this other "stuff" I really don't want to pay for if I already own it. ie: DVD Player.
*End Rant*

Perfect Stu
05-19-2003, 08:59 PM
So because Nintendo makes consoles just for games means their games are better?

In my opinion, not only is the PS2's game library far superior to Gamecube's, but it has the added feature of CD and DVD play...not to mention online play :burger:

Joeiss
05-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
But at least Nintendo's quality didn't go down over the years. They still create classics to this day. But I also think Sony will have their own niche in the handheld market. Nintendo is the only one that makes consoles/handhelds for games and not all this other "stuff" I really don't want to pay for if I already own it. ie: DVD Player.
*End Rant*

Nintendo's quality hasn't gone down, but I must say that Sony's quality has gone up over the years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the PS2 uses DVD videogame format for their disks, doesn't there have to be a DVD player included in the machine? If so, the "stuff" that you speak of saves buyers money, and lets them do much more with a videogame system.

And that was a pretty crappy rant if you ask me, lol. :p

Null
05-19-2003, 10:35 PM
no. there didnt have to be DVD player in there

it uses the DVD format. so it would require DVD technology.

DVD player would be just a matter of a program running to know what to do with the disks. isnt required. but just being a program isnt a whole lot more to add beyond what the PS2 would be without. because it would still have a DVD drive in it.

Perfect Stu
05-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Null
no. there didnt have to be DVD player in there

it uses the DVD format. so it would require DVD technology.

DVD player would be just a matter of a program running to know what to do with the disks. isnt required. but just being a program isnt a whole lot more to add beyond what the PS2 would be without. because it would still have a DVD drive in it.

exactly. it doesn't mean it has to play DVD movies...but since its format IS DVD, adding a program that plays movies is no trouble whatsoever.

TheGame
05-20-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
*End Rant*

Well, I liked N64 more than GCN.... so I would say the quality is going down :p

I think if they wouldn't have sold Rare, kept the Aki wrestling games, and made a dark moody Zelda instead of Celda my opinion would have been FAR different.

GameKinG
05-20-2003, 10:13 AM
How is it their fault that Aki isnt making wrestling games with THQ? And from a bussiness perspecteive Nintendo had to sell Rare cause Rare just wasnt profiting. As far as a moody zelda, well, we'll have to wait and see!

Joeiss
05-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Oh ok. Thanks Null and Stu.

Well, GameKinG, we would not have to wait and see if Nintendo didn't make it cell shaded. The cool game would have been released, so we would have allready saw! lol.

TheGame
05-20-2003, 03:14 PM
How is it their fault that Aki isnt making wrestling games with THQ? And from a bussiness perspecteive Nintendo had to sell Rare cause Rare just wasnt profiting. As far as a moody zelda, well, we'll have to wait and see!

I already know the excuses, and I don't care... If GCN had Aki wrestlers and Rare it would be automaticaly better than N64 imo, but it doesn't have them so it's not better. Excuses have nothing to do with it, GCN is much worse than it could have been.... and FAR worse than I imagined it would be.

One Winged Angel
05-20-2003, 07:31 PM
I already know the excuses, and I don't care... If GCN had Aki wrestlers and Rare it would be automaticaly better than N64
What? There were no Rare games on the Gamecube before it moved to X-Box, and your saying the GC is automatically worse because it doesn't have a development team that has never released nething on the system?

Bond
05-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by One Winged Angel
What? There were no Rare games on the Gamecube before it moved to X-Box, and your saying the GC is automatically worse because it doesn't have a development team that has never released nething on the system?

Star Fox Adventures?

One Winged Angel
05-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Bond
Star Fox Adventures?

it's still not enough to say how great a development team is if they only released one game on a system.

BreakABone
05-20-2003, 08:33 PM
That's weird The Cube has two AKI wrestlers and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, I mean I enjoyed AKI n64 games just as much as everyone else but if they continued at the rate they were going, this would have been the 7th or so game that used the same engine, and it gets tiresome. I may be one of the few with the opinion, but I prefer having other THQ games and AKI games in duration in a way it gives you a different taste as well as shows you how well made the AKI games were made, but that's my 2 cents, I don't know how a discussion about two handhelds entered the console market, but eh the wonders of GT.

nWoCHRISnWo
05-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Nah, I agree with TheGame. The AKI games on N64 did NOT get tiresome for me, at all. I can still (and do) play WCW vs nWo: World Tour for a lot longer than I can play most new games.

Anyway, nothing will compared to the glory days of N64 (funny because most people think N64 is Nintendo's worst days) for me. The Aki wrestling games make it so great. Gamecube will never compare to that, although I do like Gamecube more than I like PS2 and X-Box.

GameKinG
05-21-2003, 12:18 AM
You make it sound as if its a stupud excuse. Nintendo cant help what THQ does. That should be enough reason to justify no AKI. And SFA to many people was DK64 all over again. Just not the quality we expected.

One Winged Angel
05-21-2003, 12:52 AM
I think Rare could have done a lot better job on SFA. I think the reason it was poorly done was because Rare was planning to leave Nintendo prolly before the XBox was released. So they concentrated moviing all the former GC titles to the XBox. Since Star Fox is a tradmark to Nintendo, it was impossible to move to xbox. So they just tried to finish the game and sell by name.

Anyways. just my prediction

TheGame
05-21-2003, 02:26 AM
You make it sound as if its a stupud excuse. Nintendo cant help what THQ does. That should be enough reason to justify no AKI. And SFA to many people was DK64 all over again. Just not the quality we expected.

no no no, I'm not saying it's a stupid excuse... It is a good and realistic excuse... but I'm not dealing with excuses here.

We are comparing item GCN to N64, period. I don't care why the games are gone, I just know that they are gone. Excuses will never make GCN better than N64... and excuses will never make GCN better or as good as I imagined it would be... Excuses help nothing, good or bad.

That's weird The Cube has two AKI wrestlers and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, I mean I enjoyed AKI n64 games just as much as everyone else but if they continued at the rate they were going, this would have been the 7th or so game that used the same engine, and it gets tiresome. I may be one of the few with the opinion, but I prefer having other THQ games and AKI games in duration in a way it gives you a different taste as well as shows you how well made the AKI games were made

bah, how would it get tiresome? It's better than the crap they have out now, period. If SD is going to come out every year I think that there is no problem with Aki WWE games coming out every year. How could a person get tired of perfection?

Oh wait, this is coming from a guy who thinks EA Sports should be released every 2 years ;)

You got weird views on things :D

No, I'm saying GCN is worse because it lost the rights to my most anticipated game of this generation (Perfect Dark)...(even though Halo 2 has changed that for the time being ;))

Nah, I agree with TheGame. The AKI games on N64 did NOT get tiresome for me, at all. I can still (and do) play WCW vs nWo: World Tour for a lot longer than I can play most new games.

Thank you, not to mention this gen would have been a huge jump for the series... just think about DJV with WWE guys, more controls, a better story mode, and *drools* CAW.

No Mercy had a lot of room for improvement away from the gameplay, give it some real intro videos, a HIAC, some truly competitive graphics, maybe even some 3-on 3 matches with a ref that can be distracted... and that game would have detroyed WM XIX/x8, Raw 1/2, and SD 4/5.... hell, thinking about it gives me a headache because they are just wasting thier talent now :(

Anyway, nothing will compared to the glory days of N64 (funny because most people think N64 is Nintendo's worst days) for me. The Aki wrestling games make it so great. Gamecube will never compare to that, although I do like Gamecube more than I like PS2 and X-Box.

Well, I think N64 was the glory days of Nintendo too... this is my history with Nintnendo

NES-Loved
SNES-Liked
N64-Loved
GCN-Liked

Maybe next gen they can bounce back... maybe

vurel
05-24-2003, 11:12 PM
There is no way I'm going to but a PSP untill at least 2-1/2- 3 years after it's release... I don't want any more QC "suprises" Like i got with my PS2 (now completely dead... won't even play CD audio anymore)... I got it for christmas the year it was released... after a while it started crashing occasionallly when playing PSX games, then it stopped reading PSX games and PS2 games with Darker colored discs, then it added a few lighter PS2 games... now I've got a $200 paperweight

I have no doubt that the PSP will be technologically superrior to thr GBA... but Quality is important and Sony seems to have a problem there (original PS sometimes Overheated, Several friends have Sony CD players that stopped working for no apparent reason) and untill i am sure that the PSP will last I will not buy it.

One Winged Angel
05-25-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm not going to buy the PSP, mainly because it;s going to have polygons. Soem reason I think that the difference between console and handheld is 2D and 3D. Nwo that the PSP is going to be 3D, it;s going to feel like another console.

DeathsHand
05-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by One Winged Angel
I'm not going to buy the PSP, mainly because it;s going to have polygons. Soem reason I think that the difference between console and handheld is 2D and 3D. Nwo that the PSP is going to be 3D, it;s going to feel like another console.

Yes, because we all know handhelds were going to stay 2D forever... :hmm:

TheGame
05-25-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
Yes, because we all know handhelds were going to stay 2D forever... :hmm:

if Nintendo were to stay on top I bet we wouldn't be getting a 3d handheld for the next 8-10 years

Perfect Stu
05-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Just because the system can produce polygons doesn't mean there aint gonna be 2D games.

Playstation had Castlevania: SotN, one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

Methinks you're just trying to find an excuse not to like the system ;)

Null
05-25-2003, 11:10 AM
thats kinda what portables strive to be tho... a game console that you can take anywhere.

One Winged Angel
05-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
Just because the system can produce polygons doesn't mean there aint gonna be 2D games.

Playstation had Castlevania: SotN, one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

Methinks you're just trying to find an excuse not to like the system ;)

It's not that, I love Sony. It's bound to happen with Nintendo as well. If you think about it, if both the companies come out with 3D... it'll never be the same again. Why don't u see GCN, PS2, and Xbox make 2D nemore? because no one will play buy them anymore, they just want graphics now.

It's just a personal opinion, I thought the SNES days were the best.