PDA

View Full Version : Just got done watching Sony's E3 Press Conference

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Biggest Hilight: Sony is developing a portable handheld videogame console named 'PSP' (PlayStation Portable). Games will be stored on miniature DVD-like discs...approximately half the diameter of a regular DVD. It is able to connect with PS2 and I bet in the future PS3, and saved data will be stored on memory sticks. The sceen will be approximately 4.5 inches in diagonal and boasts a back-lit feature. The presentation was delivered by the Father of the Playstation himself, Ken Kutaragi, and when he first mentioned "There will be a new baby in the Playstation family" people got all excited...then he said "It will not be PS3", to which some people sighed or laughed, "It will be a new portable gaming/multimedia system" (I'm para-phrasing here). It was quite enjoyable...he kept talking about the PSP as his baby and how it is in its birth cycle., and that what he's seen of it, he can confirm that it's 'very cute'. I can't wait to see more of this.

:eek:

Other Hilights:

-MGS3 will be PS2 exclusive...launch date is simply 'next year'
-the next GTA installment will be PS2-exclusive
-Final Fantasy XI will be published in NA by SCEA and will debut in early 2004.
-Gran Turismo 4 feature included a long presentation by the producer of GT, and will indeed have online play.
-PS2's, starting in June, will be bundled with the network adapter and will sport new features at the price of $199 (same as the current one is now)
-Sony's EYE TOY technology was unveiled...it allows users to interact and play 'mini-games' simply by moving their bodies. The inventor of the technology showed off the Kung Fu game (looks like a lot of fun) and this hilarious window-washing game. It will launch later this year for about $40 and will come with about 15 mini games. It also has the ability to record video up to a minute long that will be stored onto the PS2 memory card. The EYE TOY will plug into the USB slot.
-There was a huge EA SPORTS Online presentation, which is PS2-exclusive. They had people in LA playing Madden, NCAA Football, NBA Live, NASCAR Thunder, FIFA playing the respective games against opponents from around North America. Voice communication is supported with all of their games. The big hilight from this was Tiger Woods taking on Cedric the Entertainer in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004...Tiger was in some living room in another city, and Cedric was on stage...they competed in the game and trash talked, it was really great.

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 02:13 PM
More on the PSP

Company Unveils Plans to Extend PlayStation(R) Family of Products With
'PSP(TM)'

LOS ANGELES, May 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Enhancing its strong platform
strategies, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today plans to
expand its in-home entertainment to outside the home with a new, all-in-one
portable entertainment platform, "PSP(TM)." Scheduled for release in the
fourth quarter of 2004, the company's goal is to extend the reach of
PlayStation(R) to a broader audience, allowing consumers to enjoy gaming and
other entertainment content anytime, anywhere. Specific details on release
plans and pricing will be disclosed at a later date.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO )
The introduction of "PSP" highlights the company's long-awaited foray into
the portable entertainment market. With unmatched advantages of the Sony
Group, such as global brand awareness, superior technologies in the most
advanced semiconductor processes, "PSP" further broadens entertainment
experiences into the portable arena.
The foundation of this new platform is Universal Media Disc (UMD), which
comprises of a 60mm optical disc (1.8 GB) in a cartridge, developed by the
Sony Group, utilizing its latest disc technologies. Compared to the out-dated
mask ROM cartridge, optical disc has huge advantages such as shorter turn
around time for manufacturing, larger data capacity and lower media costs.
The latest copy-protection technology will be applied to offer content
developers and publishers a safe and copy-protected environment.
"PSP" will be equipped with a wide screen 480 x 272 pixel (16 by 9) TFT
LCD monitor with a backlight, and powered by super chipsets utilizing the
latest 90 nm semiconductor technology. For graphics, 3D rendering will be
enhanced by the employment of curved surfaces (NURBS) along with conventional
polygons. Video quality will also be enhanced with MPEG4, which delivers
quality equivalent to DVD video at a low data rate.
"PSP" will have an USB 2.0 port for further expandability and connectivity
to other devices, such as "PSP," PlayStation 2 and many other systems, along
with a Memory Stick(TM) slot for network applications and data
transportability in a wireless environment.
SCEI will offer PC-based development tools starting from fall 2003 for the
preparation of a new range of computer entertainment content. A new license
scheme for "PSP" software development will be announced in summer 2003.
Pursuing the founding principles of the PlayStation business, Sony Computer
Entertainment will expand its efforts to support content developers to create
new forms of computer entertainment.
Together with its business partners, SCEI aims to aggressively promote
this new platform to further broaden the arena of entertainment.
"Just as PlayStation and PlayStation 2 revolutionized in-home computer
entertainment, we aim to become a new driving force in the portable
entertainment platform arena," said Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO, Sony
Computer Entertainment Inc. "The world of PlayStation encompasses hundreds of
millions of users worldwide, most of whom view computer entertainment as part
of their everyday lives. We look forward to extending the experience through
a portable entertainment platform, and are excited about the possibilities and
impact 'PSP' will have on the market. Along with game applications, 'PSP'
will have a huge potential for delivering other forms of entertainment as well
as live entertainment through the network, anywhere, anytime. This is the
'Walkman' of the 21st century."

"PSP" Specifications
Platform name: PSP(TM)
Display: Wide screen (16:9) TFT LCD with backlight
(480 x 272 dots)
Disc medium: "UMD" 60mm optical secured ROM disc with cartridge (1.8GB)
Video CODEC: MPEG4
Graphics: 3D Polygon/NURBS
Sound: PCM (built-in stereo speakers, stereo headphone output)
I/O: USB 2.0, Memory Stick(TM) slot
Battery: Rechargeable (lithium-ion)

-GamerFeed (http://www.gamerfeed.com)

TheGame
05-13-2003, 02:16 PM
OMG, cool info... the PSP will own the GBA ;)

-EDIT-

the disks sound a lot like GCN's

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TheGame
OMG, cool info... the PSP will own the GBA ;)

-EDIT-

the disks sound a lot like GCN's

Yep, but the discs are a little smaller and hold a little more space I believe.

I'm glad to see Sony challenge Nintendo in the now-monopolized handheld console industry. They established themselves as king of the consoles, I hope they do the same with handhelds :)

MP4 sound, Widescreen display, very nice resolution, Playstation 2 connectivity, memory stick storage...I can't friggin wait. And I was going to buy a GBA:SP soon...I think I'll wait until I see a lot more of this PSP to make that decision :D

TheGame
05-13-2003, 02:26 PM
I wonder if this will make Nintendo worried... I mean, the days of Nintendo charging $100 for somthing it costed them $10 to make, and charging $40 for somthing it took them $10 to make is over...

Null
05-13-2003, 03:31 PM
actually PSP isnt new. i heard about it a few months ago.

and i think it will all come down to the price. price is right it could be very good competition.

i relaly like the USB deal. will be able to do things with computer will be nice.

Idiot
05-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Mmm, interesting, brand wars ahoy. The games are what matters though, and how it may be controlled is also of great interest...
Sony hasn't entered a new videogame marketplace for some time however, and it'll be interesting to see wether they can catch something approaching the freshness of the original PS in it's day. For the time being, the ball is in Nintendo's court. If only Spaceworld was still around....

(X-Box Jnr to follow?)

Joeiss
05-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Woah... The PSP sounds kind of cool.. I would love to see a DKC-styel Ratchet and Clank!! That would be soo cool.

And it says that all EA stuff will have voice chat... Is that with the SOCOM headset or what?

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
And it says that all EA stuff will have voice chat... Is that with the SOCOM headset or what?

Any PS2-supported USB headset will work...so yeah, the current SOCOM one will work just fine. Sony will be selling a Playstation brand USB headset later this year as well, for those who haven't bought SOCOM.

It looks like the PS2 era for Sony has been a very successful experimential stage for their videogame business. Introduction of online play (which is exceeding their expectations by far), voice communication, EYE TOY, keyboard/mouse support, hard drive support, and the upcoming PSP. I think that they will harness all of the momentum and experience they've gained from 2000-2005 and really produce a TOP NOTCH business plan for next gen (led by PS3). They continue to push boundries, experiment, and innovate...and they've never let me down since I jumped on board with PS2 in 2000. This is why I will continue to primarily invest in the Sony product until they let me down.

DeathsHand
05-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Sweet I'm glad Sony's taking a shot at the handheld market... If anybody has a chance at successfully taking on Nintendo's Gameboy line, it's Sony...

I just hope it's not too expensive... And it better have good developer support...

BlueFire
05-13-2003, 04:41 PM
I hope it's not too expensive or it's not the next WonderSwan thingie. Heh, if this thing has the success of the PSX... Nintendo is in big trouble, I would say ;)

Bad Religion
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Stu, you only jumped on with Sony in 2000? You should have been there for the Playstation days, when they had some REALLY good games... mostly everything touted as good on the ps2 has been enhanced graphic sequels of PS games, don't you think? Of course there are some notable exceptions, but for the most part the PS2 makes a decent DVD player :p

Shiz
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
sony kicks ASS

Jason1
05-13-2003, 05:05 PM
It sounds good on paper, but I want to see what this thing looks like before I make any real judgements...wouldnt you have disc-skipping problems with a Handheld that plays discs? And its being described as a baby...and cute...thats like...anti-sony...or something...o.O

Joeiss
05-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I assume that it would handle like a diskman... it will have anti skip stuff.

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
It sounds good on paper, but I want to see what this thing looks like before I make any real judgements...wouldnt you have disc-skipping problems with a Handheld that plays discs? And its being described as a baby...and cute...thats like...anti-sony...or something...o.O

It's actually more Japenese than anything. Kutaragi is the 'Father of the Playstation' so he runs with that concept. The PSP will be the newest addition to the family :)

*PSP to be more powerful than the original Playstation

Crono
05-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Wow. You know I am very impressed by Sony's conference. I am really looking forward to PSP. I can't wait to see some of the PSP's games. And EA Online? Sweet! I can only hope that NHL 2004 will support it... which is most likely, but it wasn't listed as one of the games at gamerfeed.com. But I'm sure it will include NHL 2004. Because FFXI, REO, and online hockey are my reasons for going online with PS2. Eye Toy also sounds pretty cool. I am interested to see on how it'll actually work with games.

Overall... I'm happy with Sony's conference. I wish they would have gave details on PS3 but there's still much time left in E3.

gekko
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Got my doubts. First of all, developers won't leave GBA for the same reason they won't leave PS2. Despite all other factors, everyone owns one. So I really don't see this thing getting too much support. Not much more than Neo Geo, Wonderswan, or Nokia gets, and I don't expect it to do much better.

Second, discs on a portable system spells disaster. Discs get scratched when thrown around, carts don't. With portable systems, you throw it in your pocket, throw it in the back seat of your car, etc. They get scratched, plain and simple.

You don't just walk in and defeat the greatest selling system of all time. This isn't PSX vs. N64, this is PS2 vs. Gamecube. You Sony fans should know best, PSP can try all it wants, but it won't get near GBA, no matter how it may or may not be.

Jonbo298
05-13-2003, 09:14 PM
At the end of what he was describing the PSP as, it ran some De Ja Vu (spelling?) over me. E3 2001 (Im pretty certain) and Miyamoto is describing the 'Cube at the E3 press conference for Nintendo. ring a bell;)

Joeiss
05-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Yeah, i don't think that it will defeat the GBA... But I do think it could be somewhat successful if the right developers go to it.

Null
05-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by gekko
Got my doubts. First of all, developers won't leave GBA for the same reason they won't leave PS2. Despite all other factors, everyone owns one. So I really don't see this thing getting too much support. Not much more than Neo Geo, Wonderswan, or Nokia gets, and I don't expect it to do much better.

Second, discs on a portable system spells disaster. Discs get scratched when thrown around, carts don't. With portable systems, you throw it in your pocket, throw it in the back seat of your car, etc. They get scratched, plain and simple.

You don't just walk in and defeat the greatest selling system of all time. This isn't PSX vs. N64, this is PS2 vs. Gamecube. You Sony fans should know best, PSP can try all it wants, but it won't get near GBA, no matter how it may or may not be.

first. absolutly what i was thinking. Also, IMO, portables target kids much more then they do adults. kids are the ones wanting to take it for rides in the car and play wherever they go. maybe older people will like to play it once and a while. but they're still more towards a younger audience. i sure as hell cant play one while i drive around. i have a GBA. never touch the thing. Also if kids spent thier money on a GBA. they wont be so inclined to spend more on another one.

I'm pretty sure this handheld will be better then the GBA. but i dont think it will do as well. they shoulda entered it at the same time as the GBA hit. made some competition from the start.

Second, im not so sure about your point, at first i was thinking the same thing..... But then i got to thinkin.... Hey, people and kids these days have learned to take thier portable CD players with them wherever, toss them around. use the CD's on the go. put them in thier pockets. IMO i think the CD thing will be alright

Perfect Stu
05-13-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the discs are in a clear case that prevents them from scratching.

Keep in mind, Sony isn't even targeting the majority of the GBA audience...this is less 'toy', more 'walkman of the 21st century'

Null
05-13-2003, 10:08 PM
yea. they are going for an older audience. but still i feel portables of such nature more appeal to kids or teenagers.

if price is wright. and it can play movies and songs that i want. i might look into it. sounds tho like a 400 - 500 $ unit

Sigma
05-13-2003, 11:13 PM
I doubt MGS3 will remain exclusive. I mean, the original may be exclusive, but there'll probably be a MGS3 director's cut or something that'll come out on other systems as well.... kinda like MGS2.

One Winged Angel
05-13-2003, 11:44 PM
If theres anyone that shoudl create a new handheld, it should be Sony. It will all depend on the price between the GBA and the PSP. The GBA will be very difficult to beat.

Also Nintendos Next Gen Handheld will probably come out before the PSP2 or whatever. They'd might want to release when Nintendo launches their new handheld out, which will be a while.

Shiz
05-13-2003, 11:48 PM
heh...new jak 2 and gt4 movies out...although i hate gt4 and havent played jaks they are dling right now...sony has the best E3 so far

Bad Religion
05-14-2003, 11:14 AM
So far, Sony has kicked all asses that's for sure

Jason1
05-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

*PSP to be more powerful than the original Playstation

Well I would sure as hell hope so...I mean, the GBA compares to the PSX in terms of power, and it came out 2 years ago. I would expect the PSP, power wise, to be more powerful than the N64.

One Winged Angel
05-15-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't like the sound of a 3D portable system.

Perfect Stu
05-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
I mean, the GBA compares to the PSX in terms of power

I would completely disagree...I have yet to see a GBA game look anything close to MGS, FFIX, or Vagrant Story. Not even CLOSE. As far an 2D graphics go? Maybe...but for polygons, there is no comparison...GBA is more comparable to SNES than PSone IMO

Bad Religion
05-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
I would completely disagree...I have yet to see a GBA game look anything close to MGS, FFIX, or Vagrant Story. Not even CLOSE. As far an 2D graphics go? Maybe...but for polygons, there is no comparison...GBA is more comparable to SNES than PSone IMO

Stu is completely right here, I mean advertising the GBA as 32-bit is kinda misleading since the graphics look a tad better than the SNES, which is great for old school gaming, but to suggest it's as powerful as a PSX is not right... the GBA 2d kicks ass though

Idiot
05-16-2003, 05:08 PM
How is it misleading to state the actual processing power of the machine? True, perhaps Nintendo were sort of giving the impression that it was a 3D machine, but well, it's 32-bit, sold as 32-bit, and played as a 32-bit 2D handheld. Well, at least it was in my case....