PDA

View Full Version : I Orderd My New Pc!!!!!

Jason1
05-10-2003, 01:57 PM
From Ibuypower.com

Tell me what you guys think of this baby:

BOARD: [DDR400] MSI 648MAX-L SIS-648 CHIPSET WITH 10/100 LAN/SOUND/USB2.0/8X AGP MB

CABLE: ROUND CABLES

CD: 16X DVD-ROM
CDRW: 52x24x52 CD-RW DRIVE

CPU: [533MHZ FSB] INTEL(TM) PENTIUM-4 2.66 GHZ

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GB 7200 RPM ULTRA ATA-100 8MB CACHE BUFFER

MEMORY: [DDR400] 512 MB PC3200 MEMORY

VIDEO: ** 8X AGP ** ATI RADEON 9500-PRO 128MB DDR W/ DVI + TV OUT 8X AGP VIDEO

All for just a smidget over the 1000 dollar mark. Needless to say, im excited. Now I just gotta wait for them to make it and then ship it which could be 2 weeks or more...

GameMaster
05-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Congratulations, sounds very good. http://207.142.132.180/~gametave/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Null
05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
cept for a couple diff brands. Its almost an exact replica of my PC.

you'll like it very much. nothing like the feeling that any game that comes out you can play. :)

did you get a special case with a window in it or anything? mine has a window on the side and a blue light inside......... kinda cool to look inside sometimes. hehehe

Jason1
05-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Null
cept for a couple diff brands. Its almost an exact replica of my PC.

you'll like it very much. nothing like the feeling that any game that comes out you can play. :)

did you get a special case with a window in it or anything? mine has a window on the side and a blue light inside......... kinda cool to look inside sometimes. hehehe

Yep, its a black case with a window on the right side.

http://www.ibuypower.com/images/pc-268-B.jpg

Null
05-10-2003, 07:28 PM
And almost the exact same case as mine :P you have like my computers sister :p

mine...
http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/blackice2/cs317full.jpg p4 2.66, 512mb ddr ram, geforce4 ti 4200 128mb, cdrw, blah blah all that. yup yup

Bond
05-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Congratulations on your new PC Jason.

I also recently got a new computer, here are the specs:

P4 2.80 GHZ
PC2700 512MB DDR DIMM 333HZ
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
120GB 7200rpm

Nothing else noteworthy.

Jason1
05-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Damn...I thought I might have the best PC out of anyone at GT when I get it, but yours is a little better...Damn you Bond:p

Null
05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
well you can just overclock yours and get over 3GHZ out of it. :P mines overclocked to 2.8 (didnt want to over do it cuz i never done it before)

P4's i hear are actually really good at not overheating.

altho i dont recommend it if ya dunno what your doing. heh

Jason1
05-11-2003, 10:38 PM
well you can just overclock yours and get over 3GHZ out of it. :P mines overclocked to 2.8 (didnt want to over do it cuz i never done it before)

P4's i hear are actually really good at not overheating.

altho i dont recommend it if ya dunno what your doing. heh

Yea...and I know almost nothing about overclocking...so I doubt I'll risk doing that...BTW, where did you get yours, Null?

GameMaster
05-11-2003, 10:46 PM
I'm saving up for an eMac. :)

Null
05-11-2003, 10:50 PM
lol. mines a long story..

orignated a year maybe 2 ago. i ordered a 1.6ghz computer from Dell.

since getting that i had upgraded the mem, HD's GFX card, Sound Card, and i got bored to say the least.

i wanted to get a new case and transfer my Dell computer into the new case.

doing this proved to be harder because stupid dell uses parts that arent same size and made same way to fit in other cases..

When taking the CPU out, OOPS! a little part of the Motherboard broke off. this gives me a reason to buy a new Motherboard. *grin*

When going out i thought well hell, while getting new motherboard i might as well get a DDR ram one istead of the SD ram i currently had.

got it all put together my comptuer. was happy............ Then i got to thinkin and lookin at all the spare parts i had from upgrades.... i had a spare case, motherboard (slightly broke) HD, GFX card, Sound card. I had everything except a CPU, so i went out to now upgrade my CPU

Wanted to get a 2.8, didnt care for the 3.0 (double the price 600, and wasnt really better unless you do a ton of things at once) then i looked more at the prices and 2.66 was over 100 cheaper and when thinking about it... only a 140mb difference.

so i bought the 2.66.

Since then i fixed the old motherboard, was only a snaped off one of thoes black cillender thingies. soddered that on. and rebuilt the original 1.6 Dell computer.

So short answer.... I built my own. :p

Seven7
05-13-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm jealous I want a new computer ...hmph.

Jason1
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Well it finally shipped! Yay! It should come Tuesday or Wensday.

Happydude
05-23-2003, 09:44 AM
i just got that 9500 pro last night...*sigh* I LOVE IT!!! :D

Jason1
05-28-2003, 04:23 PM
My computer came today, and so far im loving it. Everything was pre installed, and its working great. Im a little confused on my display settings, becuase it tells me to disable the TV output if your not using a TV screen, but I go to where you do that and the TV output isn't enabled...and it says it is...it says you get a higher refresh rate if you disable it...but whatevah...XP seems great so far...I havent gotten the chance to install anything to test out this baby's power, Ive only installed my cable internet software. I'll update later after ive had more time.

Null
05-28-2003, 04:25 PM
goto display properties. in the Settings tab. and click on advanced. should be the duel monitor/ display settings in there.

Jason1
05-28-2003, 06:07 PM
I have a question...On my case, there are 3 fans. One is on the back, and 2 are on the side. Thats just fine and dandy, but we have a new computer desk that has a little room for the tower, and while the back is open, There's only about 1 and a half inches of space on the side with the fans. Im wondering, will that be a problem when it comes to overheating?

Null
05-28-2003, 07:09 PM
shouldnt. and actually 3 fans is a little over kill.

i rewired my PC a little. i put 5 switches on the front (in vacant floppy slot) and split the wires to each fan and sodered them into the switches (along witht he light)..... i only keep the back fan turned on.

P4 are actually quite good about over heating. they have some built in thing that slows itself down if it feels its overheating (thats aparently why they're good to overclock *shrug*)

Jason1
05-28-2003, 10:07 PM
It says I have 2 display devices or somthing like this...one is AGP and the other is PCI and says secondary. Should I remove one of these, and which one should I be using to play games, and how do I know which one I am using?

GameMaster
05-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Congratulations Jason! Having a new computer is wonderful experience, cherish it.

Null
05-28-2003, 11:02 PM
if its suggesting you have 2 graphics cards. one agp and one pci.

then you should be using the AGP without a doubt.

im just not sure what your 2nd one is in the PCI slot. i dont THINK its a graphics cards. cuz GFX cards havnt used a PCI slot for a long time. might be some sort of TV card. maybe

look in your window. what does the 2nd one look like?

Jason1
05-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Its prolly at TV out or sumthin...but I found it strange that every time I boot up Ski Resort Tycoon, it says

''This computer has multiple video cards. Which one would you like to use?''

and then it lets me choose between:

display, Primary Display Driver or

\\.\DISPLAY1, RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES

ive tried them both, and from what I can tell, they both look the same in the game. I'll have to fool around in the hardware thinge to find out whats the diffrence.

EDIT: According to the device manager, one says RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES, and the other says RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES-Secondary. Dunno what that means, it says they both are working properly and all...dosent really say anything saying what exactly they are.

Null
05-29-2003, 01:02 AM
well if it actually is 2 vid cards.

the primary one should be the AGP one, AGP = a ton faster then PCI...... and unless you have a reason for the 2nd. either disable it. or disable and take it out.

---EDIT---- Tried them both?? if its 2 vid cards you'd have to plug your monitor into each one to try both. Do you have 2 monitor plugs in the back of the computer?

Jason1
05-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Yea, the primary one is the AGP one...and I dont think theres another monitor plug on the back of my computer...There's an S-Video plug right next to the monitor plug, and a longer white plug next to that...neither of which are being used...I have no Idea what the longer white one is. Also, when im in the device manager, it says they are both located in PCI bus 1...I dunno if that means anything.

Null
05-29-2003, 04:18 PM
the longer white one is the DVI, digital video in ? usually used to plug into a flat panel LCD monitor. or maybe a HDTV

if you had another GFX card it would be in one of the slots below your main GFX card. somehow i dont think thats what you have. hard to say without seeing it. dunno

Jason1
05-29-2003, 09:33 PM
the longer white one is the DVI, digital video in ? usually used to plug into a flat panel LCD monitor. or maybe a HDTV

if you had another GFX card it would be in one of the slots below your main GFX card. somehow i dont think thats what you have. hard to say without seeing it. dunno

Yea I just disabled the PCI one...Oh well...the new thing is when I run this test thinge on my graphics card, it says I need to download Directx 8.1 or later, I did that, restarted, ran the test again, and it still says the same thing. *shrugs* Your prolly sick of answering my stupid questions by now, Null. :p

Seven7
05-31-2003, 05:05 PM
Late thursday nigt I came so close to buying a new computer with a P4 2.8ghz 800FSB and 1024 DDR400 ram. It also had 120gig hdd and a version of the Ati 9800 video card along with a "19 flat screen crt monitor.. I just could not quite get myself to submit the order as it was $400cdn more then I was comfortable in paying for a computer.

Null
05-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
Yea I just disabled the PCI one...Oh well...the new thing is when I run this test thinge on my graphics card, it says I need to download Directx 8.1 or later, I did that, restarted, ran the test again, and it still says the same thing. *shrugs* Your prolly sick of answering my stupid questions by now, Null. :p

just get DirectX 9
:P

Mushlafa
05-31-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Seven7
Late thursday nigt I came so close to buying a new computer with a P4 2.8ghz 800FSB and 1024 DDR400 ram. It also had 120gig hdd and a version of the Ati 9800 video card along with a "19 flat screen crt monitor.. I just could not quite get myself to submit the order as it was $400cdn more then I was comfortable in paying for a computer.

Your ****ting me? You can get that computer for $400?!?!? buddy where can i get it? thats only like 5 days of work or so!

Jason1
05-31-2003, 08:43 PM
just get DirectX 9
:P

Yea...thats what I downloaded in the first place and it still said I havent downloaded it...

Null
05-31-2003, 09:50 PM
goto run, and type dxdiag

should say what version your running

and does your program say you dont have it? cuz it might just be poping up the message each time just to ask. not knowing if you do or not.

Jason1
05-31-2003, 10:31 PM
goto run, and type dxdiag

should say what version your running

and does your program say you dont have it? cuz it might just be poping up the message each time just to ask. not knowing if you do or not.

Yea, I did that, and it says im running DirectX 9.0. So screw the stupid test thing. Im trying to figure out why the sides of windows in windows are distorted when I move them, and the sides of objects and walls and such in games are also distorted when you move around. They are distorted by horizontal lines...its really hard to explain. I know its not just an anti-aligning thing. Its not really horrible, but its just there and I know its not suppoused to be. ATI's customer support is no help...they just link you to their FAQ's pages, which ive allready gone through.

Null
05-31-2003, 10:36 PM
thats something one would have to see to help with.

thats one of the reasons i prefer nvidia tho. i like thier drivers

bobcat
05-31-2003, 11:49 PM
CAn't say I'm not jealous :mad2:

Mine has 1GB of SDRAM. The price of SDRAM was so bloody cheap, and my mobo don't support DDR

Null
06-01-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by bobcat
CAn't say I'm not jealous :mad2:

Mine has 1GB of SDRAM. The price of SDRAM was so bloody cheap, and my mobo don't support DDR

hmmm. odd.

as far as i know the limit of SDRAM was always 512, never heard of anything with more of that type of ram

Seven7
06-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Mushlafa
Your ****ting me? You can get that computer for $400?!?!? buddy where can i get it? thats only like 5 days of work or so!
No no I meant that it would have cost me some $400 dollars more then the total cost of what I was willing to spend. That package I mentioned costs way more then $400 bucks I assure you, especially when its in Canadian currency.

If I could get that package for $400 bucks I would have bought two. :p