PDA

View Full Version : Doa Online!!!!!

bobcat
05-07-2003, 07:34 AM
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/401/401131p1.html

Yes I can't wait!!!

A poorly structured fighting game series going online.

Sorry but I hate Team Ninja. The head guy who made DOA3 was saying how great the graphics are and that VF4's background pales in comparison to it. He p!sses me off bcoz the game is utterly crap compared to VF4.

Anyways this is great news for all you DOA fans (if there are any).

:rolleyes:

Happydude
05-07-2003, 09:10 AM
i've played DOA3...haven't played VF4...but i liked it...somewhat...

TheGame
05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
I liked DOA3... beautyful graphics and backrounds, and well rounded gameplay. (no cheap fighters)

I (still) haven't played VF4 yet

Professor S
05-07-2003, 12:25 PM
I liked DOA also (for a fighting game... not my favorite genre). The reversal system was just awesome. Nothing like being the old dude and beating people with just counters... Tai Chi mother****er!!!

Perfect Stu
05-07-2003, 12:30 PM
I liked playing DOA3 for about 20 minutes, then I realized how simple/shallow the gameplay engine was and it just got boring. Graphics were nice though...

Stonecutter
05-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Hey, I'm the so-called xbox fanboy and even I can tell you that DOA is a piece of crap.

Bond
05-07-2003, 04:06 PM
"Reports out of Japan indicate that Tecmo will be bringing remakes of the first two Dead or Alive games to the Xbox with full Xbox Live compatibility."

In case anyone was wondering, it's just a remake of the first and second DOA with some extras and online compatibility.

Dyne
05-08-2003, 01:48 AM
Hmm...

*considers Xbox Live*

Yeah... yeah. Heh.. heh. Yeah.

PuPPeT
05-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Yep DOA3 is one of the best looking games I have seen. And yes Like most Beat' Um up's the game lasted about an hours play well on my own. But then again don't almost all 3D Beat' Um ups last about that long. I know SCII did not last much longer then that.

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/mickurt/Images/doa_online_xbox_1.jpg

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/mickurt/Images/doa_online_xbox_2.jpg

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/mickurt/Images/doa_online_xbox_3.jpg

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/mickurt/Images/doa_online_xbox_4.jpg

TheGame
05-08-2003, 11:38 AM
I dunno, fighting games in general have barely any replay value... There have been three in my life where I loved it for months maybe even years... and that's Streetfighter 2, Tekken 3, and Virtual Fighter... but then I get the sequals and I simply don't care as much anymore.

(well, not in Tekken's case... Tekken 3 made me want to buy Tekken 2 to get more of the story, and Tekken 4 was great, but the greatness only lasted a good 2-3 months)

Tombor
05-08-2003, 12:08 PM
I like DOA for what it is: a shallow dial-a-combo fighting franchise. When you think about it it does exactly what Tekken does but a lot better. Tekken is a similar shallow dial-a-combo fighter, but it looks like crap, has equally bland characters, not nearly as nice looking graphics, no tag battle, and no Ninja Gaiden guy. And sexy chicks. So that's fine by me. I hope DOA2 is more than just a graphical improvement: the countering in that was kind of twinky.

TheGame
05-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Tombor
I like DOA for what it is: a shallow dial-a-combo fighting franchise. When you think about it it does exactly what Tekken does but a lot better. Tekken is a similar shallow dial-a-combo fighter, but it looks like crap, has equally bland characters, not nearly as nice looking graphics, no tag battle, and no Ninja Gaiden guy. And sexy chicks. So that's fine by me. I hope DOA2 is more than just a graphical improvement: the countering in that was kind of twinky.

Well, I think Tekken is better, and does it better...

First of all and most importantly, Tekken has a better story... and Tekken has more modes (like you mentioned the tag mode). The tekken force is great imo, and the ball smacking game on Tekken 3 is fun too. I also think going through and unlocking guys is a lot more fun than a game with all the people set out from the start.

The graphics in DOA is better, but I feel the music and fighting atmosphere is worse... well, than Tekken 4 at least. I guess this may be 100% my personal bias, but eh :p

bobcat
05-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Tombor

I consider DOA like one of those beat em up final fight type games. That's how it feels sometimes. No thought has been put into the balance of all the chars moves. It's really whacked.

And as for replay value of fighting games, if you have 2 or more friends that excel at a particular fighting game (e.g kof) it'll last a very long time. I challenge @ the arcades with friends and with ppl that piss me off (which is why it's so fun).

Also you'll notice Tekken 4 is less combo orientated and more poking orientated (like VF). Fast powerful strikes. TTT was more combo based.

Dyne
05-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by bobcat
Also you'll notice Tekken 4 is less combo orientated and more poking orientated (like VF). Fast powerful strikes. TTT was more combo based.

That's the reason Shenmue felt weird. They said they used the VF engine, but really... it heavily relies on combos. If you did quick jabs in Shenmue you would have gotten nowhere.

TheGame
05-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by bobcat
And as for replay value of fighting games, if you have 2 or more friends that excel at a particular fighting game (e.g kof) it'll last a very long time. I challenge @ the arcades with friends and with ppl that piss me off (which is why it's so fun).

I agree, I think Tekken 3 is my favorite fighter of all time because I knew 5 guys who were just as good as me and we played it together a LOT.

bobcat
05-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by TheGame
I agree, I think Tekken 3 is my favorite fighter of all time because I knew 5 guys who were just as good as me and we played it together a LOT.
Yeh I loved T3.

TheGame
05-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Whoops, I meant to say Tekken 2 :D

I love Tekken 3 too... but it died off quicker because I barely had anybody to play it with.

bobcat
05-22-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by TheGame
Whoops, I meant to say Tekken 2 :D

I love Tekken 3 too... but it died off quicker because I barely had anybody to play it with. Tekken 2 introduced multi throws with King, which in all honesty weren't really that good coz EVERYONE tried to do them and it was so obvious to duck.

T3 was my fave on Psx. We played that one for a good year