PDA

View Full Version : Racing

DaGamingMasta
02-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Hey i would like to know if there are going to be any racing games for GCN any time soon? :confused:

I hope they come out with something to compete with Gran Tourismo 3

Gamer
02-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Hmm, well i'm not sure about too many, i know that Ridge Racer is supposed to be coming out, and Donkey Kong Racing, which looks promising.

DarrenMcLeod
02-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Nintendo themselves won't put out anything like GT3. Why? It's not their style. They base their games solely on fun, not on Realism. As far as racing goes, 'Cube isn't doing too well as of now. Here are your only bets:

Wave Race: Blue Storm - Great game. Once you get used to it, it is fan-freaking-tastic. The controls are hard to get used to, and it's very very difficult, and your friends won't like it at first, but it's great otherwise.

SSX Tricky - Again, a great game. Easier to pick up and play than Wave Race, and lots of fun. The tricks are crazy!

Extreme G 3 - A really cool futuristic racer. It is often overlooked, but it is a lot of fun, and quite a good game.

Super Monkey Ball - The monkey race in this game is EXTREMELY fun, and even though there are only 6 tracks, there are powerups, four player play, and it's just plain fun. That's what counts.

So for regular racing fans, that's it right now... we could include Cel Damage, Crazy Taxi, and Simpsons Road Rage, but they aren't really racing games... but upcoming we have:

Ridge Racer - This series almost never goes bad... Namco won't let it.

Donkey Kong Racing - It'll be unique. Let's say that. And it's made by Rare... it should fare well.

Mario Kart - 'Nuff Said.

MX - Excitebike 64 on cube? Not likely... but it may be good.

Hot Wheels - The one on N64 was surprisingly fun

Jeremy McGrath Supercross World - Unsure how this one will be.

Smashing Drive - Half Racer, half crazy taxi. Looks fun though.

And of course, there are the unanounced games that will pop up, and games I didn't even mention because I forgot about them. No GT3 quality games, but quite a few look fun. Mario Kart is a guaranteed million-seller... and Donkey Kong Racing and Ridge Racer should turn out well. Not the best racing console (in fact, possibly the worst), but there is some promise there.

DeathsHand
02-09-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by gamer
and Donkey Kong Racing, which looks promising.

All we've seen of Donkey Kong Racing is an FMV clip... How can you say it looks promising? ;)

"They base their games solely on fun, not on Realism"

Realistic games can be fun... especially racing games if you're really into cars... you might find it neat tweaking your cars and buying more cars and all that good shiste... :D

And for people who just want racing without all the hastle... well... there is an arcade mode where you just pick a car, pick a track, and race :p

Did I mention I don't like GT3 that much? :sneaky:

Snake
02-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Yes, I have to admit, Gamecube is lacking racers..

A UK magazine reported that Capcom is brining Automodellista... but can we really trust people from the UK? j/k :D

DarrenMcLeod
02-10-2002, 03:06 AM
Yes, I forgot automodelista... that game looks sweet.

And about Donkey Kong Racing, I think it's quite cool that it's not riding in karts, or cars, they are trying something a bit new.

So that's good.

KS
02-10-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by DarrenMcLeod
Wave Race: Blue Storm - Great game. Once you get used to it, it is fan-freaking-tastic. The controls are hard to get used to, and it's very very difficult, and your friends won't like it at first, but it's great otherwise. However it's really not the "128 bit" game we were all hoping for.

SSX Tricky - An ok game, but nothing really changed from it's predeccesor and it trys to hard to be hip.

Extreme G 3 - Average furturistic racing game, that suffers in the light of much better games such as wipeout fusion. Try before you buy.

Super Monkey Ball - The monkey race in this game is EXTREMELY fun, and even though there are only 6 tracks, there are powerups, four player play, and it's just plain fun. That's what counts - as long as you are a simple gamer.

Ridge Racer - A high quality racer, but the physics are absolutely terrible if you're looking for the realistic fix.

Donkey Kong Racing - Diddy Kong Racing was a highlight on the N64, but the last game with "Donkey Kong" wasn't too great. Do we trust Rare?

Mario Kart - 'Nuff Said - but will it fall short like the launch games.

Hot Wheels - Mediocre racing game with some adly implemented fun features.

Smashing Drive - Old.

I agree solemnly (sp) agree.

DeathsHand
02-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Oh, and speaking of Automedelista, there was a little thing in PSM about it (yes, it's the PS2 version, I mean if it really is coming to NGC... y'know...)

Well first of all, Automodelista is gonna have online play...

And second, it says that "The game involves extensive car customization and will make use of the PS2 hard disk drive"

but the thing is...

a: We don't even know the basics of Nintendo's online plans yet... although maybe developers do maybe, although I coulda sworn I've heard some saying that they don't know...

b: How would the customization thing work without a HD? SD cards (if the adapter ever comes out)? I wonder how much space it would take up... hmm...

This might be old news, but I dunno... I didn't pay much attention to the game from the online news sites, and then I got this PSM and read aboot it :p

Edit: Oh, and a little comment about SSX tricky...

"and it trys to hard to be hip."

Are you sure it's not trying to be goofy? Cuz I swear it seemed like the hip thing was a joke and it was just goofy, although if they really were trying to make it hip, they ended up making it... well... goofy and stuff ;)

DaGamingMasta
02-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey also Cube.ign.com announced the Race Of Champions was comming for GCN here's the scoop:

Race of Champions Cube Bound

Activision announces the Climax-developed rally racer for Nintendo's next-generation console.

Publishing giant Activision announced today that it will bring a version of its "high-octane rally racer" Race of Champions to GameCube this fall. The title is under development by UK-based Climax, which has previously worked on such franchises as FIFA, Blades of Steel and Warcraft.
"Race of Champions breathtaking graphics and frenetic action will find a perfect home under the hood of Nintendo GameCube," said Julian Lynn Evans, vice president European Studios, Activision. "With the addition of our sku for Nintendo GameCube, Activision is poised to deliver a racing blitz across all three next generation platforms when the game ships later this year."

http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/raceofchampions/raceofchampions.jpg

Pic from the PS2 version

The title centers on the popular Michelin Race of Champions, which is held annually in the Canary Islands. Players speed top vehicles from 24 licensees including Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford, Lancia, Peugeot, Audi, Porsche, Citroen and Seat against legendary drivers such as France's Didier Auriol, Germany's Armin Schwartz and Finland's Tomi Makkinen. There are 12 authentic road, desert and mountain tracks featured in the game. The development studio is banking on top, next-generation visuals and a real-time damage model to set the racer apart from the pack. :D