PDA

View Full Version : First Info on the New Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles Game

BreakABone
05-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Well the latest issue of PSM has some first news and screens on the latest TMNT game coming from Konami (I hear it's also featured in GMR magazine).

-The game will be a cel-shaded, 3d brawler
Well, I think the cel-shaded graphics was the only way to go to do justice to the license, I mean it is a cartoon show after all..

-The game will be 2 player co-operative
Now, I hope this is just a misprint or something because it makes no sense, why can't they just make it a 4 player co-op game, I mean it's not for a lack of character.

-The game will feature a VS. mode, similar in nature to that of TMNT Tournament fighters.
Well, there was also a mini-mode like this in Turtles in time if I remember correctly, I think that a TMNT game done in the style of either SSBM or Power Stone could actual be cool, but eh.

-Naturally, all 4 turtles will be playable in 'story' mode, but in vs mode, Casey Jones, Hun, and Shredder are also said to be usable.
Well, it's an interesting take to have Casey and Shredder as playable, Casey brings a unique dynamic since he isn't a marital artist like the Turtles, but on the side of good, and well Shredder is eveil, I don't get Hun though.

-Each turtle is said to have different move sets, and special attacks
I hope the Turtles are well balanced, I mean come on, who is gonna pick the folks with short ranged weapons when they can have long range weapons?

-Though the game is only 2 players, all 4 turtles can be called on screen for special 'team attacks'

I'll see if anyone scanned the magazine.

BreakABone
05-03-2003, 05:34 PM
And here are some scans

http://www.n-finity.com/~gary/turt.jpg

Well here is the pic slighty better in color

http://home.no/yodandy13/pics/turt2.jpg

Well, the game looks nice

Ginkasa
05-03-2003, 07:01 PM
It looks like the show which is good :D

It looks like it'll have some sidescrolling too (top right) which should be just slightly nostalgic.

I personally can't wait for this game. I hope that Konami doesn't make it too easy. Games based off of kids' shows tend to be pretty easy and simple these days. Let's pray that Konami puts as much respect into this game as they put into their earlier Turtle games.

*shrugs and walks away*

Shadow_Link
05-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Well, about the character abilites. It's simple to balance them out. Those with short range weapons could move faster, be more agile, or have better special attacks, like do more damage or something. Or if the special attacks can only be used once a special meter has been filled, those with shorter weapons could probably build up their meter faster...

I'm sure Konami can do the game justice, they've proven they can in the past.

OMG, just read about the "VS. mode, similar in nature to that of TMNT Tournament fighters. "

:eek: I loved that game on the snes :D.

That means there will be a pretty high possibility that a special meter will have to be filled up in order to use a special attack, like it was in TMNT: TF.

DarkMaster
05-03-2003, 07:46 PM
looks great, I love the cel-shading

Joeiss
05-03-2003, 10:32 PM
The game looks good... Too bad it isn't 4player, though.

Zone
05-03-2003, 10:47 PM
I really can't wait for this game. Who wasn't, or still is a TMNT fan? I am.

It's great to finally get some info and see some screenshots. Seems like it'll be great.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-04-2003, 12:11 AM
swe-e-e-e-et, ya...i remember the TMNT games for SNES. The 4-player arcade version was great too :D

The Germanator
05-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah, nothing beats Turtles in Time, one of my favorite games on my SNES...this game looks to bring those memories back

nWoCHRISnWo
05-04-2003, 02:05 AM
I still don't really understand what kinda game it is, but it doesn't matter, I'm buying this and playing it all day every day once it comes out.

Stonecutter
05-04-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo
I still don't really understand what kinda game it is, but it doesn't matter, I'm buying this and playing it all day every day once it comes out.

See, it's thoughts and comments like this and people that have these thoughts and make these comments that cause real gamers so much pain when we have to deal with all the crap that gets sent our way.

Crono
05-04-2003, 09:38 AM
The cel shading looks real good. I'll probably give this game a rent.

Perfect Stu
05-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Stonecutter
See, it's thoughts and comments like this and people that have these thoughts and make these comments that cause real gamers so much pain when we have to deal with all the crap that gets sent our way.

oh, get off your high horse already :p

This looks promising...I had a hell of a lot of fun with the NES Turtles games...best beat-em-ups ever IMO.

fingersman
05-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry that it isn't four player but I've wanted a beat em up game since Snes/genesis days, hope more beat em ups appear if this game is sucessful. :D

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-04-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm gonna use Donatello all the way!!!

:D

BreakABone
05-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Well here are larger pictures of the game courtesy of OPM, I believe and they confirm the 2-player stuff. Anyhow it looks nice and they got the Purple Dragaons and Foot Soldiers as well as mousers.

http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images/tmntfan316/tmnt.JPG

Joeiss
05-04-2003, 01:38 PM
I really cannot wait for this game... It looks very much like the show... All I know is that I am going to be playing MANY videogames this fall, lol.

Ginkasa
05-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Donatello's head looks kind of wierd in that top picture....

*shrugs and walks away*

GameMaster
05-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to get a PS2 :D

BreakABone
05-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster
Looks like I'm going to have to get a PS2 :D

You are getting a Ps2 for a multiconsole game?:confused:

Or maybe that was for another thread:confused:

GameMaster
05-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
You are getting a Ps2 for a multiconsole game?:confused:

Or maybe that was for another thread:confused:

If it's a multiconsole game, why is it in the PS2 board?

Is it multiconsole? :confused:

BreakABone
05-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster
If it's a multiconsole game, why is it in the PS2 board?

Is it multiconsole? :confused:

Quite simple, as far as I can tell, the scans are from the PS2 version, I mean they are from PSM and OPM so eh.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Doesn't matter what console its for, the game looks simply awesome, there has never been a TMNT game that has let me down :nod:

ZeroCool51
05-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Ill rent the game and if i like it ill buy it.

nWoCHRISnWo
05-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Stonecutter

...What the **** is your problem?

Stonecutter
05-05-2003, 12:43 AM
...What the **** is your problem?

I'd ask the same of you.

I'm not the one who is going to buy a game I know nothing about and force myself to enjoy it even if it sucks

"and playing it all day every day once it comes out"
just because it has a licence on it that I enjoy.

People like you are the reason why we still see ****ty games with licences slapped on them.

Edit: on them. That's what happens sometimes when a new tab loads with the cursor in a text field in mozilla, the "m" went into my google search.

nWoCHRISnWo
05-05-2003, 01:55 AM
1. Wow, you take things way too seriously.

2. Who knows nothing about the game? I know it's made by Konami, the same company who never let me down when I was hyped for a game before. I know it's Ninja Turtles, my favourite show as a kid. I know I'm a very nostalgic person and playing a new Turtles game again after nine or so years will be fun for me. I know Konami has made Turtles games in the past that I've loved.

3. "with licences slapped on the." Slapped on the WHAT? People like you are the reason we have school.

I didn't realize me buying a game would cause so much pain to you.

ZeroCool51
05-05-2003, 02:04 AM
I agree

Stonecutter
05-05-2003, 03:02 AM

2. Who knows nothing about the game?

You, apparently.

I still don't really understand what kinda game it is

Perfect Stu
05-05-2003, 08:37 AM
cool down, guys

this arguement is pointless

nWoCHRISnWo
05-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Stonecutter, try reading the rest of my post where I describe what I know about the game. And aren't you the same idiot who said Monkey Ball 2 was mostly luck?

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-05-2003, 08:19 PM
lol, calm down we don't want a riot here.....:rolleyes:

Rndm_Perfection
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Meh, I've got to agree with Stoney C. though... in the sense that he's giving a whole-hearted opinion (which, as stated, I agree with). Chris basically stated that Konami makes good games and is trustable. However, Stoney pointed out that this is exactly how certain companies can get off with bad games. Little research needs to be done before one will buy a game from a company they trust!

For example... The Mario games are loved to an awkward level. However, now and then... the company churns out really awful games and nobody complains except for those that actually wanted a good game, no matter who's face was stapled on front.

Aaand, I'll try to bring up an old conversation I had with Xantar about movies of Pokémon. Pokémon had massive sales only because of their name. Why, even I went to see the movies (despite the fact that they sucked terribly along normal lines).

Hype breeds monsters. 'Nuff said, I tell you.

Professor S
05-11-2003, 11:32 AM
While I disagree with Stonecutter's methods, I jave to agree with the point he made. Blindly following liscences gives developers an excuse to not put much effort behind them (see Wolverine's Revenge, Fellowship of the Ring, Spiderman and so on for examples).

They just see dollar signs and decide that they will make as much money on the game no matter what the quality of the game is. It makes sense economically, but not artistically.

This will continue until we as a group decide that we will have standards for game quality, no matter the liscence attached. Wait, read reviews, rent the game... and then if you like it, buy it.

Simply buying games because of a liscence hurts us all as gamers.

Shadow_Link
05-11-2003, 11:52 AM
But most of the Konami TMNT games have been good in the past. You can't bash Chris for having faith in them continuing this trend. Obviously, this doesn't mean the game WILL be good this time round. That's why I'll be keeping an eye on this game at E3.

Perfect Stu
05-11-2003, 12:17 PM
The point is valid...but he jumped on Chris unnecessarily...

I doubt Chris would buy the game if it turned out to be an absolute piece of sh*t. I think his point was that Konami's Turtle games have been great in the past, and although not much info has been released on this upcoming one, he is confident that it will turn out to be a purchase-worthy title.

nWoCHRISnWo
05-12-2003, 06:47 PM
What Shadow and Perfect Stu said is exactly right.

Every game developed by Konami that I'm interested in turns out to be as good or better than I was hoping. Every Turtles game that I played I loved. And like I said before, I'm a very nostalgic person. I also know the game's going to be a brawler.

That's a hell of a lot of information for me to decided that I want a game or not. How this turned to "Chris is gonna get a game because of it's license only, he's ruining my life as a real gamer!" I don't know.