PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo making new franchises??

tarakan69
05-02-2003, 02:36 PM
I mean most their games are being handled by third parties now. Is this their idea of living in house development stuidos to focus on creating new franchises??

Games made by third parties...
Zelda - Capcom (Confirmed... I'll get you link later)
Starfox - Namco
F-Zero - Sega
Metroid - Retro
Mario Kart - NST
1080 - NST
WaveRace - NST
PilotWings - Factor 5 (rumoured)

But in house studios are still working pretty hard

GC Mario Sequel = NCL
GC Zelda Sequel = NCL
GC Animal Crossing Sequel = NCL
GC Pikmin Sequel = NCL
GC Pokemon Titles = NCL
GC Talent Maker Sequel = NCL

Thnik there is space for new franchises??

Jason1
05-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Since when is Nintendo Software Technology a third party?

And Retro Studios aint no third party either. Factor 5...who knows what they really are...

GameKinG
05-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Factor 5 = third party
NST = First party
Retro = First Party

tarakan69
05-03-2003, 03:15 AM
I thought NST was third party, and Retro was second party.

But stil if somebody gave me this list 2 years ago

Zelda - Capcom (Confirmed... I'll get you link later)
Starfox - Namco
F-Zero - Sega
Metroid - Retro
PilotWings - Factor 5

I would laugh in your face.

Shadow_Link
05-03-2003, 02:10 PM
How about that link? :D.

BreakABone
05-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Well, Taranka must hang out at Gaming-Age forums because I notice many of his posts seem to be copy and paste or rewording of theirs.

Anyhow, NCL to my knowledge is a Nintendo second party, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

And about the new franchises, who knows. There will be atleast one new game at e3, if it's an entirely new character, no one knows.

GameKinG
05-03-2003, 04:05 PM
NCL = Nintendo Co Ltd as far as I know. That is Nintendo of Japan, a first party.

Nintendo bought majority shares in Retro Studios awhile ago makeing it a subsidary in Nintendo, like Brownie Brown and such. Different in the way Rare was second party, because they only had 49% or less...

BreakABone
05-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GameKinG
NCL = Nintendo Co Ltd as far as I know. That is Nintendo of Japan, a first party.

Nintendo bought majority shares in Retro Studios awhile ago makeing it a subsidary in Nintendo, like Brownie Brown and such. Different in the way Rare was second party, because they only had 49% or less...

Er , I meant NSt which stands for Nintendo Software Technology or something like that, but as far as I know they are a second party.

GameKinG
05-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Well that is basically, NOA's games. I dunno what they consider themselves, though I would say they are 100% owned by NCL, so I would consider it 2nd party.

Dyne
05-04-2003, 01:47 AM
The different perspectives are confusing.. anyways here's my take.

There's a distinct difference between games, and houses.

First-party... In the same building as the host company, or very very close. I.E. EAD, NST
Second Party... A drive away, on another continent, whatever. Just not part of the main building. I.E. Rare, Retro, SK
Third Party... obtained rights to make games on the system.

That's why Factor 5 is still third party. No owning--well, none that we know of. :sneaky:

In terms of games..

First Party... Developed and Published by the host company
Second Party... Published, but developed by someone else
Third Party... Not published by the host company.

Well, there you have it. At least, I think that's how it goes.

fingersman
05-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Hasn't this third, first and second party thing been discussed already? Neways what is Brownie Brown developing? Haven't heard anything about them since they got became part of Nintendo, weren't they suppose to bringing out rpgs or something?:confused:

GameKinG
05-04-2003, 11:51 AM
The only game I know they are making is Magical Vacation for GBA.

And NST is on North America, so it is on another continent, but it is still first party.

Anyway enough with Nintendo's confusing branches. Lets talk about the topic: Nintendo handing out licenses so it can make more new games.

vurel
05-24-2003, 11:20 PM
heh... second party... second party would be a user-created game....

Third party referrs to an entity other than the creator or the user

Canyarion
05-26-2003, 06:50 AM
... :hm:

:D