PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft unveals the Official Xbox Live Overhaul

Bond
05-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Credit goes to XboxWorld of The IGN Forums for typing this up.

"Sooner or later, Sony is going to realize that the only way to beat Microsoft’s brilliant Xbox Live service is to join it, but Xbox Live is already upping the ante. Introducing Xbox Live 2.0, (not the real name, it’ll still just be called Xbox Live) a new, completely redesigned way to enjoy high-speed Internet gaming.

The first and most dramatic change will be the introduction of a new interface for Live. When you power up your Xbox sometime this fall, your Live experience will take on a whole new front end. A new graphic interface will replace the Xbox Dashboard with a more personalized look that makes accessing friends lists and downloadable content much clearer and easier.

The interface will be keyed to your Gamertag, so when you book up, your Xbox will recognize you and present relevant information in a much more logical fashion.

Better yet, this interface will also serve as a “lobby” allowing you to communicate directly with other players using the Communicator headset, without going through a specific game. Microsoft is intent on ramping up the already solid community feel of the service, and with the advent of more games and more desperate game styles, a central hub is a much-needed advance.

David Hufford, Microsoft’s Xbox Group Product Manager, says, “In the first year, we were really trying to lay the foundations for the service, and get voice communication out there in a really big way. In year two, we want o go above
and beyond all that to enhance the community and deliver more competition and content.”

And they will. Games like Citizen Zero and Xbox Music Mixer will evolve your Xbox into more than a gaming console; they’ll stretch it further into your everyday life. You can read more about how Xbox Music Mixer will become a hub for all your music needs in our exclusive First Look on page 06, but rest assured, the new interface will make downloads easier, and much more exciting. Just imagine moving your digital music and photos from your PC to your Xbox to interact with them in new ways.

Another huge change is the introduction of an Internet “face” for the service. You’ll be able to go to a personalized web page from your browser, and as your friends log onto the service, you may even be notified on your PC or cell phone via MSN Messenger. This keeps you connected to Xbox Live anywhere, anytime.

The improved service inspires game designers to include other ways for players to compete too: Project Gotham Racing 2, for example, is slated to include uploadable challenge races. Basically you can upload your “ghost” so that other players can literally race against your best performance. This type of interaction is likely to become a big part of Xbox Live’s competitive aspect."

Taken from the newest OXM.

:D

gekko
05-02-2003, 12:07 AM
So when it fits Microsoft's needs, it gets done. If developers want it, it won't get done.

Climax couldn't do anything with replays online because there was no way to upload content. Project Gotham 2 wants it, and they get it.

Also, the PC/Xbox interaction is begging for trouble.

MSN Messenger sucks ass, too bad Microsoft won't make like an Xbox Live IM service, so you could see your buddies sign on instead. I don't want to use MSN Messenger.

The personalized page, if anything like the DC page, it will be nice.

Voice chat rooms? Ewwwwww....

And I like how they do it as soon as the free ($49) year ends. I thought they were going to use Halo 2, but instead Xbox Live 2. Man, they had me fooled.

Dyne
05-02-2003, 01:14 AM
De-amn chiles, I can't wait to see the look on everybody's faces when they have to start paying for Xbox Live. And how painful that is, because that's when Halo 2 comes out. :D