PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snake Confirmed

BreakABone
05-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Well, in a bizarre turn of events, it seems like a 3rd party is farming it's franchise to a Nintendo house. As Silicion Knights, the creators of Eternal Darkness, will be handling Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes which is a remake of the original metal Gear Solid on the Ps2, well that's just weird, and still doesn't offer up the Twin Snakes thing, but the logo hints at something.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metalgearworkingtitle/news_6026058.html

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/04/30/mgs_twinsnakes/mgs_tsn_0430_screen001.jpg

tarakan69
05-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Well I'll be damned...

2 year old rumours from a no name site are true

"Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is being developed under the supervision of Hideo Kojima and Shigeru Miyamoto. "

<walks away whistling>

Perfect Stu
05-01-2003, 10:22 AM
WTF? Silikon Knights making a remake of MGS? Anyway, let's hope they can remaster the brilliance of the original.

tarakan69
05-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
WTF? Silikon Knights making a remake of MGS? Anyway, let's hope they can remaster the brilliance of the original.

I think with the supervision of Mr.Cutscene and Mr.Disney on acid... this games simply can't go wrong.

Now maybe Nintendo can convince Square-Enix to allow Blizzard to remake FF7 on the GameCube.

DO YOU HEAR ME SQUARE? I WANT A FF7 REMAKE!

fingersman
05-01-2003, 11:35 AM
:confused:

I'm with Stu on this one although I don't think Hideo Kojima will let one of Konami's major franchises go wrong and Tarakan69 which site said that I don't remember ever seeing the rumor.

TheGame
05-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Hmm, ok, as long as it isn't MGS2, I just don't see how it could be done on Cube.

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Gah I should have known! Twin Snakes makes sense if you've played MGS... Solid Snake, Liquid Snake... They share the same codename... *nods* *cough*... I knew they wouldn't release the whole new next game on NGC (at least not exclusively)... :-o

Anyways that should be cool... I hope they add some neat stuff and things...

And Silicon Knights better not screw anything up...

And BTW the original Metal Gear Solid was on PSX, not PS2... :sneaky:

The Duggler
05-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
And BTW the original Metal Gear Solid was on PSX, not PS2... :sneaky: No, it was on the NES :D

TheGame
05-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranzid
No, it was on the NES :D

Was it Metal Gear Solid or just Metal Gear?

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by TheGame
Was it Metal Gear Solid or just Metal Gear?

Metal Gear :p

In yo face, Ranzid, diss to yo mama... Really I'd like to see them remake that one more than MGS though... Because I think the NES game sucked ass and should be remade like MGS/MGS2, because they're actually good...

TheGame
05-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Has anybody here played the GBC version? I think it's great... and I like how you can do the VR missions and the normal missions.

Blix
05-01-2003, 01:20 PM
hhhmmm!!!! I would have tought that Silicon Kinghts would be making Too Human or some other game, but never this one. Well, if Hideo Kojima is supervising it and if the game is a game that has been done already I can´t see anything going wrong. I mean, they already have a damn good idea of what the final game should be like. And Kojima reminding them. ;)

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis
I mean, they already have a dam good idea of what the final game should be like.

But gameplay and AI! GAMEPLAY AND AI! Heh... I mean the NGC controller is a lot more simple than the PS2 one... less buttons, PLUS only 2 analog buttons as compared to... Well, all of the buttons on PS2 (and although they're not used in all games, the analog buttons were used quite a lot in MGS2, if you havn't played it)... So is it still gonna have all those neat moves and gameplay thangs or is it gonna go back to the more simple MGS1 way (I mean it's a remake of the first, but of course you want to upgrade things)?...

Plus AI... The enemy AI in MGS2 was pretty good... Is it gonna be just as good or better in this? Or and the enemies are gonna be all stupid-like? I mean sure lots of people liked ED, but I thought it was kinda meh, and it's not a game which requires lots of advanced enemy AI...

meh... it will probably still be good :D

BreakABone
05-01-2003, 02:17 PM
And BTW the original Metal Gear Solid was on PSX, not PS2... :sneaky:

Give me some criedt, I wrote this up before leaving for school, it's not like I had time to proofread or take my time, but eh.

Anyhow here is the official press release on the game courtesy of NOA

Konami and Nintendo Collaborate to Deliver Blockbuster Action Title to Nintendo GameCube

REDWOOD CITY, CA. - May 1, 2003 - Continuing to broaden the Nintendo GameCubeTM library, Konami and Nintendo today announced Konami will publish a new Metal Gear® adventure exclusive for Nintendo GameCube. Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM combines the thrilling story of the original Metal Gear Solid® game with the jaw-dropping graphics and unparalleled gameplay found in Metal Gear Solid® 2: Sons of LibertyTM. The game is scheduled to ship later this year in North America and Europe, followed by the Japanese launch in early 2004.

Bringing heart-pounding espionage action home to gamers, Metal Gear Solid® is one of the most highly-regarded action series ever created. Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM for Nintendo GameCube will combine stunning next generation graphics and gameplay, an epic storyline and unmatched content designed specifically for mature gamers.

Under the guidance of Konami's Hideo Kojima and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's exclusive second-party developer, Silicon Knights, is working with Konami to develop the game. Silicon Knights previously developed last year's award-winning Eternal Darkness: Sanity's RequiemTM for Nintendo GameCube.

"I am tremendously excited to introduce a unique Metal Gear Solid® experience to a new audience of gamers as well as collaborate with my mentor in game design, Mr. Miyamoto, on Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM for Nintendo GameCube," says Hideo Kojima, vice president, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, Inc.

"Mr. Kojima and I have spoken about this project for some time, and I'm excited our ideas have matched so perfectly," adds Shigeru Miyamoto, senior managing director of Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "It's this shared passion for game creation that has allowed us to collaborate to bring a special Metal Gear® project exclusively for Nintendo GameCube."

Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM will be featured at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) on May 14 - 16 in the South Hall at Konami Booth 900 and in the West Hall at Nintendo Booth 2816.

The logo
http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/101412791.jpg

Adn well a little tidbit from PlanetGamecube, there will be some enhancements to the game not found in the original nor Sons of Liberty, like there are plans to use the GBA as a radar and your Codec.

As for Silicion Knights doing this game, well I've only played one of their games and from that, you can tell they are pretty good with telling a story and graphics, but gameplay, hmm...

Bad Religion
05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
it's funny how the games that made the psx what it was get "remakes" on the GCN, so next generation can we expect a remake of GTA3 on Nintendo's console? ;)

oh and the GBASP as a codec would be sick!

Dyne
05-01-2003, 03:11 PM
De-amn chile's, its good to see what Silicon Knights has actually been up to. Other than a vacation after ED. But yeah, I'm sure they're capable of it.

Shadow_Link
05-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Hmmm, I don't know what to think. I reckon it's brilliant that SK are the main team behind it, they did an awsome job with ED.

It's weird though. Their main project, Too Human, is supposed to have MGS type elements in it. Do you think they agreed to make this game so that they could gain more experience with the GC hardware, and also give them more time to think up more ideas for TH?

I hope they can capture what made MGS better than MGS2:SoL.

This is a remake correct, in the RE1 sense, yes?

Oh yeh, forgot to mention. With with Toon Shading power of the Cube, do you reckon they will try to capture the essence of the art work (manga?). Or will they just improve upon the graphics of MGS2?

tarakan69
05-01-2003, 03:46 PM
They are going to get concept art, work, and code from Konami for the game. After remaking MGS1, I think it can help them create better ideas for Too Human.

Xantar
05-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Hmm, ok, as long as it isn't MGS2, I just don't see how it could be done on Cube.

Well, the link below says that Twin Snake is a remake of MGS and a port of MGS2: Sons of Liberty.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/news/news.pl?y=2003&m=5&nid=1-1.db

I guess GameCubers will still be stuck with Raiden. Oh well. We'll just have to wait until E3 to see how this turns out. I can't see why this game would need supervision from both Kojima and Miyamoto. I mean, Kojima created the franchise, so of course he should be there to make sure things are done right. But what's Miyamoto doing there? Other than lending his name to the credits list, I mean.

Shadow_Link
05-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Xantar
But what's Miyamoto doing there? Other than lending his name to the credits list, I mean.

“Mr. Kojima and I have spoken about this project for some time, and I’m excited our ideas have matched so perfectly,”

I guess they both had some cool ideas, and both thought that mixing them together would create an awsome game... :D

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Bad Religion
oh and the GBASP as a codec would be sick!

And pointless... :unsure: All the codec does is you press a button and then select the frequency (or pick one of the preset ones)... Why do that on GBASP?

As for the MGS1 remake AND MGS2 port... weellllll we'll just have to see about that... It makes sense because y'know... twin snakes... two MGS games... but it also makes sense in the way that MGS1's story has to do with... err... Twin Snakes... :unsure:

And they say the graphics will be like MGS2's... But hopefully they will be a bit better since NGC's graphics capabilities are better than PS2's :p

And I think it would be stupid if they tried to make the game look like the art work... :-o

BreakABone
05-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, I don't know, but there are some interesting theories on that whole Twin Snakes stuff, I guess I'll do like the top 3

-It will be a remake of Metal Gear Solid plus a port of Sons of Liberty: Substance
-It will feature co-op play
-The game will feature the story from both the perspective of Solid Snake and Liquid Snake.

BlueFire
05-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by tarakan69
I think with the supervision of Mr.Cutscene and Mr.Disney on acid... this games simply can't go wrong.

Now maybe Nintendo can convince Square-Enix to allow Blizzard to remake FF7 on the GameCube.

DO YOU HEAR ME SQUARE? I WANT A FF7 REMAKE! Sweet God I hope they don't make a remake to that game :P

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
Well, I don't know, but there are some interesting theories on that whole Twin Snakes stuff, I guess I'll do like the top 3

-It will be a remake of Metal Gear Solid plus a port of Sons of Liberty: Substance
-It will feature co-op play
-The game will feature the story from both the perspective of Solid Snake and Liquid Snake.

If it's a remake, I don't see how co-op could be put into the game... MGS2 could easily have co-op put into the game... Because it has Raiden and Snake... MGS1 just has Snake... Unless you want to be running around and hiding while controller Otacon or they make a few totally seperate co-op missions to play...

And while maybe they could touch on a few more things of what Liquid does while Snake is sneaking around doing stuff, I don't see how you could actually play as him... Solid Snake has a bunch of guards to worry about... Liquid has..... Solid Snake... And he doesn't hunt him down himself, he has guards and stuff to do the job for him :p

I think the title just reflects the story... But I mean I dunno how many people here havn't played the first one so I don't wanna go ruining the story...

The Duggler
05-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TheGame:

Was it Metal Gear Solid or just Metal Gear?I didn't know that Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid were 2 different series?

Originally posted by Bad Religion:

it's funny how the games that made the psx what it was get "remakes" on the GCN, so next generation can we expect a remake of GTA3 on Nintendo's console?RE and MG, that became famous on a previous nintendo console. What else?

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranzid
I didn't know that Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid were 2 different series?

RE and MG, that became famous on a previous nintendo console. What else?

Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid are both part of the same series, BUT the names went like this...

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

(not counting GB or the second NES game made in the US without Kojima)...

So the series started with Metal Gear, but the original Metal Gear Solid would be err... Metal Gear Solid...

And RE didn't become famous on previous Nintendo consoles... The first RE was released on PSX, Saturn, and eventually PC... :unsure: Only RE game on a Nintendo console before this whole exclusive deal was RE2, and that came out awhile after it was originally released on PSX...

And Metal Gear... Well, it didn't start on NES... it started on the MSX2 console/computer in Japan and Europe... Then the first game came to NES, and I don't think it really got that popular (although I'm not 100% sure on that)... The official sequel was only released in Japan... And then it became HUGE with Metal Gear Solid on PSX...

~fin~

Shadow Fox
05-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Hmm, ok, as long as it isn't MGS2, I just don't see how it could be done on Cube. Um, two discs, and less loadtimes maybe?

Either that, or redoing the FMV's to being realtime on GCN hardware...

Hell, that's what happened with RE- why not?

-Official Ninja of [coming soon]...

Jason1
05-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Well this isnt as good as MGS3, but its a lot better than just a port of MGS2...

But im still confused...is it a remake of the PSX Metal Gear solid, or the NES Metal Gear?

The Duggler
05-01-2003, 05:03 PM
And RE didn't become famous on previous Nintendo consoles... I was talking about MG not RE, sorry if it wasn't clear. But I'm pretty sure that the NES MG became very popular and was the reason why they made it on the PS1. Anyways, I know I was a big fan of the game at the time.

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Um, two discs, and less loadtimes maybe?

Hell, that's what happened with RE- why not?

The cutscenes in MGS2 are done in realtime on the PS2 hardware... I think... Right? I mean it's not FMV like Final Fantasy FMV... What other kind of FMV is there? :confused:

But I think maaaaybe the game was talking about controls... because MGS2 used PS2's analog buttons and all this stuff and I don't see how they could pack everything into NGC's 2 button short without all analog controller... Although they got it to work on XBox so who knows...

Spike_Spiegel
05-01-2003, 05:25 PM
I can't wait to find out how SK changes the Psycho Mantis fight to make it even more insane than it was in the PSX version.

Psycho Mantis: You like Eternal Darkness, don't you?

Hopefully they'll bring back the entire voice cast from the PSX version.

CrOnO_LiNk
05-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Spike_Spiegel
I can't wait to find out how SK changes the Psycho Mantis fight to make it even more insane than it was in the PSX version.

Psycho Mantis: You like Eternal Darkness, don't you?

Wow, haven't seen you in a long time Spike, good to see you again...

And yeah, I am interested in this game too. This should attract many gamers in America. It might even convince them to buy a Gamecube.

Xantar
05-01-2003, 06:52 PM

Why not just use the soundtrack from the original game? From what I can tell, they're not gonig to change the plot at all. No reason that they would change the dialogue in that case.

And yeah, I am interested in this game too. This should attract many gamers in America. It might even convince them to buy a Gamecube.

I highly doubt it. After all, PS2 gamers will be able to play the original MGS as well. It won't have graphics that are quite as good, but why would they want to buy a GameCube for an enhanced port of a game they already played?

If this does anything for Nintendo, it will be to help dispel the kiddy image and to show that Nintendo is more willing to work with third parties in this generation. I don't think this game will have much of a direct effect on GameCube sales.

Crash
05-01-2003, 07:15 PM
people could also play the original RE, but isn't it worth it on the cube? silicon knights is the pimp studio, they will not dissappoint.

DeathsHand
05-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Crash
people could also play the original RE, but isn't it worth it on the cube?

I don't think many people thought it was since it didn't really help sales much at all...

But the RE remake is pretty different compared to the original RE... Lots of new stuff added along with some storyline changes and such... And Xantar doesn't seem to think the MGS1 remake will be quite as different as the RE remake, apparently (although I think they will change more than just the graphics)...

I don't see how it could help dispel the kiddy image... I mean people said the same about RE and ED.... *shrugs*

Jason1
05-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Nintendo has really done a lot to shake its Kiddy Image, which was never really a true statement in the first place, they have always had mature titles on their console's, just not quite as many as PS2. It seems to me the only thing that will shake Nintendo's kiddy image(on Gamecube anyways), is if all the games from now on are M-Rated.

Shadow_Link
05-01-2003, 08:06 PM
IGNcube: Everyone loved Eternal Darkness. It was critically acclaimed across the board. You guys just won the award for best storyline. Why didn't the game sell better?

Denis Dyack: That's a good question and one that we've put a lot of thought into. Certainly it didn't sell horribly, thank God, but I look at it like a very successful independent film. My favorite film of all-time is Blade Runner. I'm a really big fan of the movie and think it was absolutely way ahead of its time. However, it failed at the box office. It failed horribly.

So we look at Eternal Darkness and we know what we can do to change things. Certainly keeping the content in there is not going to be a problem, but we're probably in the future not going to be quite as subtle. When I look around the IGN boards about Eternal Darkness, I see questions in there and think, well, wasn't that obvious? Some of the things we put in that we thought were sneaky people haven't even noticed yet. So we think that maybe we were too subtle and that maybe we need to put more action in.

If you look at games that I personally find very appealing, like Metal Gear Solid, they have huge amounts of flash and they've got the content as well. So I think that's the direction we're going to go in next time.

LOL, Dyak's a sly one!

fingersman
05-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
IGNcube: Everyone loved Eternal Darkness. It was critically acclaimed across the board. You guys just won the award for best storyline. Why didn't the game sell better?

Denis Dyack: That's a good question and one that we've put a lot of thought into. Certainly it didn't sell horribly, thank God, but I look at it like a very successful independent film. My favorite film of all-time is Blade Runner. I'm a really big fan of the movie and think it was absolutely way ahead of its time. However, it failed at the box office. It failed horribly.

So we look at Eternal Darkness and we know what we can do to change things. Certainly keeping the content in there is not going to be a problem, but we're probably in the future not going to be quite as subtle. When I look around the IGN boards about Eternal Darkness, I see questions in there and think, well, wasn't that obvious? Some of the things we put in that we thought were sneaky people haven't even noticed yet. So we think that maybe we were too subtle and that maybe we need to put more action in.

If you look at games that I personally find very appealing, like Metal Gear Solid, they have huge amounts of flash and they've got the content as well. So I think that's the direction we're going to go in next time.

LOL, Dyak's a sly one!

HAHAHAH oh yeah I remember that interview.....made twin snakes will use the network adpater and if you have a friend u and him go though the satges together? But whatever it happens I hope they don't make you play Radien in the game, I prefer playing Snake to him. :D
BUt neways I'm buying this game ( once they go it right) cause I loved the MGS, in fact I think I liked it more than MGS2.

Blix
05-01-2003, 08:38 PM
But gameplay and AI! GAMEPLAY AND AI! Heh... I mean the NGC controller is a lot more simple than the PS2 one... less buttons, PLUS only 2 analog buttons as compared to... Well, all of the buttons on PS2 (and although they're not used in all games, the analog buttons were used quite a lot in MGS2, if you havn't played it)... So is it still gonna have all those neat moves and gameplay thangs or is it gonna go back to the more simple MGS1 way (I mean it's a remake of the first, but of course you want to upgrade things)?...

Plus AI... The enemy AI in MGS2 was pretty good... Is it gonna be just as good or better in this? Or and the enemies are gonna be all stupid-like? I mean sure lots of people liked ED, but I thought it was kinda meh, and it's not a game which requires lots of advanced enemy AI...

meh... it will probably still be good :D

Well, the Artificial intelligence will be upgraded. I mean, MGS is a game in which the enemy's AI plays a big part. They would be stupid not to use the GC's larger second level memory cache for that. And I think Kojima must be very interested in that aspect. So, I am not worried in the least in that part. About the shoulder butons... They would be missing the L1 buton (The Z buton is in front of the R buton after all, so I'm counting the missing one as L1). It is used to point your gun at enemies while running (yeah, I own the game ya' know). But they'll most likely find a way to fix that. And the pressure sensitive is simply not necessary and was something I never really used in that game. The first MGS game was great and didn't have it and I never found a big difference (if at all) from the experience I got of both games. But that's just me. :unsure:

Edit: BTW, I never knew the game used pressure sensitive until I read it in a forum.

ZeroCool51
05-01-2003, 09:52 PM
It was a great game on nintendo and will be even greater now

Zone
05-01-2003, 10:04 PM
I'll be buying this one. I admit I didn't like MGS2, however I really enjoyed MGS. A remake sounds like a good idea.

Canyarion
05-02-2003, 12:25 PM
I wonder how much they will change to the game... I mean... Konami's working on it, Silicon Knights... AND Miyamoto :eek:

They better make it really good... :)

Perfect Stu
05-02-2003, 12:45 PM
All this talk about Metal Gear Solid...I think I'm going to replay MGS again

I've beaten it twice already...masterpiece

TheGame
05-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Um, two discs, and less loadtimes maybe?

Err, I'm talking about how the controler will be used. On Ps2 it uses all 8 buttons, AND the shoot button uses an analog function there you press and hold square to aim your gun out, slowly release square to put it down, and quickly release to fire.

the layout just doean't look like it will work on GCN... kinda like the GTA3/VC in 2004 announcement, how on earth will they put a button layout that uses that many buttons (10) on the Cube.

Shadow Fox
05-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Err, I'm talking about how the controler will be used. On Ps2 it uses all 8 buttons, AND the shoot button uses an analog function there you press and hold square to aim your gun out, slowly release square to put it down, and quickly release to fire.

the layout just doean't look like it will work on GCN... kinda like the GTA3/VC in 2004 announcement, how on earth will they put a button layout that uses that many buttons (10) on the Cube. Like DH said, they managed to get MGS2 work on Xbox, but anyways, this is MGS 1 we're talking about, which I'm sure didn't use analog buttons (considering PSX didn't have an all analog controller). You forget the significance of the digital clicks in the L/R GCN triggers- they worked excellent in the GCN Splinter Cell port, and with Silicon Knights mapping this one out, there's no way it could go wrong.

In the original game, it was mapped like this if I recall:

X-Crawl/duck
O-Action button
Square-weapon
triangle-view
L1-item cycle
L2-equip item
R1-equip cycle shortcut
R2-equip
Start-pause
Select-codec
Left analog-movement
Right analog-not used
dpad-not used

How is this a problem? You'd easily come up with something like this:

X-Crawl/duck
A-Action button
R-draw/use weapon (digital click)
L-codec
Y-codec
Left analog-movement
C-stick-view
Dpad up-item equip
Dpad down- equip
Dpad left-quick item equip
Dpad right-quick equip
GBA-optional codec view

It's not that hard, and even MGS2 can be reincarnated as such and remain intuitive.

TheGame
05-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Like DH said, they managed to get MGS2 work on Xbox,

That's because Xbox has the same amount of buttons as Ps2. We are talking knocking off 2 buttons (LI and Select) and the analog feature on GCN.

but anyways, this is MGS 1 we're talking about,

Acctually, I already know MGS1 can be put on it. I was refering to MGS2, the place where our line of replies started.

Either way, I guess they could put it on GCN, but just won't be the same... I'll make sure to avoid it. As for GTA, now we are REALLY talking about cutting back on buttons... I don't think that game is possible outside of Xbox and Ps2 unless they make somthing more complecated.

tarakan69
05-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I don't think that game is possible outside of Xbox and Ps2 unless they make somthing more complecated.

They could easily make you press 2 buttons together to substitute for the lesser used feautes, such as L3. I mean you used that button no more than once every hour.

Also what so hard about MGS2 ?? It's missing on one leftsholder button. It's not such a big problem.

Also peole I find the idea of Codec on the GBA lame... I mean it was hardly anything special.

TheGame
05-02-2003, 02:34 PM
They could easily make you press 2 buttons together to substitute for the lesser used feautes, such as L3. I mean you used that button no more than once every hour.

yeah, but it's still a seperate function.. I guess two buttons could work, but in the car which two buttons could you really press? But like I said, it would only make things more confusing, probably can be pulled of though.

Also what so hard about MGS2 ?? It's missing on one leftsholder button. It's not such a big problem.

Also peole I find the idea of Codec on the GBA lame... I mean it was hardly anything special.

Analog shooting and the select buttons are gone... maybe you should have read first

tarakan69
05-02-2003, 02:42 PM
yeah, but it's still a seperate function.. I guess two buttons could work, but in the car which two buttons could you really press? But like I said, it would only make things more confusing, probably can be pulled of though.

Analog shooting and the select buttons are gone... maybe you should have read first

Analog shooting... SO?? It's not like the controls can't be tweaked properly.

As for the select button... BIG DEAL!! It was only used to access codec... that can be done by the start button. (since it surved only as a paused button) The start button can easily be used for the codec, and pausing the game, I see no problem.

TheGame
05-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Analog shooting... SO?? It's not like the controls can't be tweaked properly.

please, explain how they could tweak it w/o using evem more buttons than the game already uses?

tarakan69
05-02-2003, 02:49 PM
please, explain how they could tweak it w/o using evem more buttons than the game already uses?

I don't really get what you mean?? When you had to shoot out of a corner all you had to do was press (or L1) R1+Square when up against a wall... If you wanted to aim in first person all you had to do was press L1 and move the analog.

How on earth can this not be done of the GCN controller:confused:

Bad Religion
05-02-2003, 02:50 PM
And pointless... :unsure: All the codec does is you press a button and then select the frequency (or pick one of the preset ones)... Why do that on GBASP?

i wasn't aware you've played this game already, cool... i guess tell miyamoto and kojima i said hi! :rolleyes:

TheGame
05-02-2003, 02:53 PM

the layout just doean't look like it will work on GCN... kinda like the GTA3/VC in 2004 announcement, how on earth will they put a button layout that uses that many buttons (10) on the Cube.

that's what I'm saying can't be done, unless they make you fire every time like MGS1... but there were some times where that slow release saved my ass.

TheGame
05-02-2003, 02:58 PM
i wasn't aware you've played this game already, cool... i guess tell miyamoto and kojima i said hi! :rolleyes:

You don't have to play it to know that it's pointless... just look at how it was used in MGS and MGS2, there is no good reason to put it on a GBA screen.

I guess if there are hardware junkies here who want to use the GBA screen for the hell of it, it's a great feature.

BreakABone
05-02-2003, 03:48 PM
that's what I'm saying can't be done, unless they make you fire every time like MGS1... but there were some times where that slow release saved my ass.

Why can't they just make the shooting button the two triggers?
Push it to raise the gun with more pressure

Press all the way down to shoot

Release to put down gun..

*Shrugs*

I got no clue on this one I guess

DeathsHand
05-02-2003, 05:03 PM

In the very first Metal Gear, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

In Metal Gear Solid 1, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

In Metal Gear Solid 2, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

And I assume it's the same with the GBC game...

Why would they all of a sudden make it something special worth using the GBA for? I can see how the GBA connectivity could be pretty cool for a Metal Gear Solid game (like it could be used to control some kind of neat gadget or something), but not as the codec :unsure:

Bad Religion
05-02-2003, 05:41 PM
In the very first Metal Gear, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

In Metal Gear Solid 1, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

In Metal Gear Solid 2, all the codec was used for is talking to people...

And I assume it's the same with the GBC game...

Why would they all of a sudden make it something special worth using the GBA for? I can see how the GBA connectivity could be pretty cool for a Metal Gear Solid game (like it could be used to control some kind of neat gadget or something), but not as the codec :unsure:

i think i get what you mean... strictly for an old school codec, it wouldn't be that great. I think it would (should) be reworked where the codec is more multi-purpose i guess, and if they could have it so the comm shows the video faces, the speech came through the front-lit sp, it could be great, also using it for controlling the guided missles, and things... my only gripe it that the cord for the gba-gcn sucks, seriously what is the point of having a wavebird? it would be really immersive if it were wireless, and you could just flip open the GBASP and use it as the codec when you needed to... would be really great when played in the dark, but like i said the cord kinda ruins it

TheGame
05-03-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by BreakABone
Why can't they just make the shooting button the two triggers?
Push it to raise the gun with more pressure

Press all the way down to shoot

Release to put down gun..

*Shrugs*

I got no clue on this one I guess

Ok, that's possible, but stupid... it's almost like in Zelda changing the button to hit with the sword from "B" to "R", that's about the same difference. (best example I could think of that you could relate to)

tarakan69
05-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Ok, that's possible, but stupid... it's almost like in Zelda changing the button to hit with the sword from "B" to "R", that's about the same difference. (best example I could think of that you could relate to)

I'm with Big J on this. The codec could be viewed on the GBA... but it would be more of a gimmick as the voices would have to come out of the TV while the codec itself would have to be viewed on the GBA. Sounds SO gimmicky/lame.

It's basicly making as much sense as pressing Z+R1 in Metroid Prime to change weapons. Sounds fun but in the middle of battle would be gimmicky and unconvinient... same with the codec.

DeathsHand
05-03-2003, 02:41 PM
I think having R be the shoot button makes sense... Has anybody played Medal of Honor: Frontline or either of the Red Faction games on PS2 (I dunno if the MoH controls are similar on NGC)? R1 is used to shoot, and it works just fine...

Push R some of the way just to aim the gun, click it to shoot..... And you can lower it without shooting just by letting off of the trigger without clicking... It works perfectly and it's a rare time when the shoulder button clicks can actually come in handy ;)

TheGame
05-03-2003, 09:20 PM
DsH, it's a different game, of course R1 could work with another game, but with Metal gear it just doesn't sound right.

and if it were put on the R trigger, that leaves the B button, L button, and Z button to replace what R1, R2, L1, and L2 did on Ps2.

DeathsHand
05-04-2003, 12:08 AM
DsH, it's a different game, of course R1 could work with another game, but with Metal gear it just doesn't sound right.

and if it were put on the R trigger, that leaves the B button, L button, and Z button to replace what R1, R2, L1, and L2 did on Ps2.

While there are still more buttons that need their jobs filled on the NGC's controller, I still think R would work perfectly for shooting which solves one problem :p

Blackmane
05-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Im sure control scheme is something that will be dealt with just fine.

Ahh, finally, MGS on the 'Cube. Now all we need is Final Fantasy remakes and Halo, and we'll be king of the remake console!

fingersman
05-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Blackmane
Im sure control scheme is something that will be dealt with just fine.

Ahh, finally, MGS on the 'Cube. Now all we need is Final Fantasy remakes and Halo, and we'll be king of the remake console!

LOL......don't forget the King of ports :D