PDA

View Full Version : Mabey someone can help me..

marionette
04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
A week or two ago, my brother (not the one you guys are thinking of) put in a disk in the a-drive. When he took it out, there was some force, so he yanked it out, and the metal clip part, whatever you want to call it, got stuck. So, he tried to get it out, but it wouldn't come out. He took the side covering off, but could not see the metal clip inside the computer. Do any of you guys, or girls, have any suggestions on what to do, because I have a report to do. Half of it is saved on a disk..but I can't use the disk.. I already asked someone, and they said to just buy a new a- drive, but I'm trying to avoid that So thank you in advance

GameMaster
04-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Turn the computer off.

Get some tweezers and try to pull it out.
Or, if you have a strong magnet see if it will pull the little metal thing out.

How is it stuck in there? Is it just hard to reach or is it actually stuck in something?

Take your disk to a library or a friends house and work on it there or e-mail to yourself from there so then you can come back home and work on it.

Null
04-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Take the drive out. hold it upside down and shake it.

or as GM said get tweezers.

or seriously buy a new A drive.. its like $10, might save a lot of trouble

Happydude
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
the 3 steps to fixing A-drives:
Step 1- Take your A-Drive out of your computer and put it as far away from it as you can.

Step 2- Pick up a sledge hammer

Step 3- Whack the A-drive as hard as you can with the slege hammer

there you go...now you don't have to worry about anything going wrong with your A-drive...

fingersman
04-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Go at a friends house use the net and email the info to yourself and do what you have to do.

Stonecutter
05-01-2003, 03:19 AM
DONT USE A F*CKING MAGNET!!!!!!!!!!

JESUS CHRIST! That could wipe your entire C drive if the two are in close proximity to each other and the magnet is strong enough.

PuPPeT
05-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Stonecutter

JESUS CHRIST! That could wipe your entire C drive if the two are in close proximity to each other and the magnet is strong enough.

Na it won’t it tends to just corrupt the data! No but really it would have to be a pretty big magnet to wipe a drive, but it would not be to healthy to the head on the A: drive. Do people really still use A: drives I copy every think on CD-RW or CD-R now as they cost less then floppy disks do (and also I can't fit anything on a floppy disk).

Kitana85
05-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, some do still use A-drives. My school keep sgetting computer w/o writable CD drives. I susally E-mail stuff to myself... but we're usually not allowed to use the computer for E-mail.

Null
05-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Stonecutter

pretty much everything in a computer is shielded against magnets

infact, my Fan over my CPU is powered by magnets :D has no motor, just magnets that spin the fan, sooo quiet :)

GameMaster
05-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Silly Stonecutter :D

marionette
05-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks. I'll probally just buy a new a-drive. By the way, good solution happydude. You try it first, and then if it works, I'll try it. :rolleyes:

;)

vurel
05-24-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Null
pretty much everything in a computer is shielded against magnets

infact, my Fan over my CPU is powered by magnets :D has no motor, just magnets that spin the fan, sooo quiet :)

umm... motors work using magnets...

Yoda9864
05-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by vurel
umm... motors work using magnets...
??? Does your car use magnets in the motor?

You would have to use a Hugh Jass magnet to do any damage to your harddrive. Unless it's an older harddrive. and even then, you would have to rub it against the harddrive many times to do anything to it.

Cyrax9
05-30-2003, 03:01 AM
My Solution:

If the disc in the A_Drive is already damaged, open the case, disconnect the A_DRive and pull it out of the tower.

Take it AWAY from the PC preferaably inot another room, and hold the little "Flap" that keeps the drive free of dust open, and use a magent to extract the piece of metal (Remeber AWAY from the PC itself), finally put the drive back in the machine, an dreconnect i, than enjoy.

Take note,m you use the magent AWAY from the PC itself, this meathod only works AWAY form the PC to rpevent damage and static fingerbands should eb worn at all times, for $20.0 you can get a new A-Drive but if you're desperate the magnet trick works AFTER the drive is out of the PC.