PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil producer trashes Sony, Square

Perfect Stu
04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Source (http://www.gameforms.com/news/?414)

Shinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan.

Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

Next, Mikami said that Kingdom Hearts' strong sales are due to "aura purchase," meaning that customers are buying the game because their friends have bought it or like it, regardless of whether they like the game themselves. He said that Kingdom Hearts does not deserve its 780,000 sales or 6800 yen price tag.

Finally, he apologized to Square, saying he is upset that Kingdom Hearts has sold more copies than Biohazard for the Gamecube. He said that Biohazard is the better game, but Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game either.

:lol:

That's really quite sad. Damage control +++.

BreakABone
04-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, this interview is about 8 months old, and in a bit of irony I guess, the man was recently demoanted from his position.

bobcat
04-25-2003, 11:55 AM
:lol:

Happydude
04-25-2003, 12:35 PM
lol...thats just funny...

Perfect Stu
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
I really like

Finally, he apologized to Square, saying he is upset that Kingdom Hearts has sold more copies than Biohazard for the Gamecube. He said that Biohazard is the better game, but Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game either.

I can see it now...

"Sorry, Squaresoft...I'm just pissed off because your game owned mine in sales. But my game is so much better than yours! And my dad could probably beat up your dad, too! Oh, and for the record (because my lawyer is making me say this), your game isn't THAT bad. *holds back laughter*"

And I also find it funny he took so many pot shots at Sony...purposely designing their products so that they'll break? :lol: I have a SONY portable CD player, and I listen to CDs as I fall asleep...after I fall asleep, I've knocked the CD player off my bed and onto the wood-panelled floor countless times and the thing still never skips, even when I shake it (to test its quality). I'm also on the same PS2 I've had since launch and I've only had a handful of disc read errors which were simply temporary.

And I'm glad Mikami got canned from his position...I saw more maturity when I was in pre-school.

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Well I did go through 3 broken PSXs last gen... but my PS2 has been working faithfully since launch. Somehow I wouldn't like to generalize my experience with PSX for EVERY damn PSX owner. So I say that statement is bull.

Also people he has the full right to diss Kingdom Heart... He's the director... If he believes his Resident Evil games are better... then it's his opinion. Let's no forget if not for the presence of FF characters Kingdom Heart the game was so verrryyyy average.

The Duggler
04-25-2003, 02:12 PM
I like this part:
Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.
And it's a little bit true too :)

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranzid
I like this part:

Sony too minimize production costs used the cheapest parts they could get. Just like Nintendo, just like Microsoft.

It would be non sense... PS2s sold at a loss for the first 1.5 years.. so they wouldn't be making any $$$ on it. It's rubbish.

Now this would make sense for Nintendo... since they sell GCNs at a profit... :burger: ... you getting the way it's going??

Companies don't want to produce faulty hardware... end of story.

TheGame
04-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Sombody was sipping a little too much hatoraide...

DarkMaster
04-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by tarakan69
Let's no forget if not for the presence of FF characters Kingdom Heart the game was so verrryyyy average.
:mad:

well, thats your opinion I guess, so meh...

anyway, I remember reading this article a long time ago, in fact I remember talking about it to Crono back in September or something.

I still can't believe Mikami was such an asshole. Oh well, whatcha gonna do.

and btw, he wasn't demoted (at least not from what I've read) he stepped down as producer to work as a developer so he could have a bigger influence on how his games would turn out.

meh...

Perfect Stu
04-25-2003, 03:38 PM
I like this part:

no, it's not. if you think Sony is purpously designing faulty systems then you're as thick-headed as Mr. Mikami.

And Mikami wasn't the director of Kingdom Hearts....was he :confused:

DarkMaster
04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
And Mikami wasn't the director of Kingdom Hearts....was he :confused:
Tesuya Nomura (sp?) was the director of Kingdom Hearts. He was also the character designer (as well, he was the character designer for FF7,FF8, and FF10)

The Duggler
04-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
no, it's not. if you think Sony is purpously designing faulty systems then you're as thick-headed as Mr. Mikami.

And Mikami wasn't the director of Kingdom Hearts....was he :confused: No not purpously, but still. I have heard a few times that some people bought more than 1 PS1 and more than 1 PS2. Not that often but still. I never heard of somebody buying more than 1 nintendo (from it's generation)

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 05:01 PM
No no purpously, but still. I have heard a few times that some people bought more than 1 PS1 and more than 1 PS2. Not that often but still. I never heard of somebody buying more than 1 nintendo (from it's generation)

On this I agree... PS2 do seem to breakdown more often... but maybe that because their are just some many of them out their. Some are bond to die... or be diffective.

Lets no forget nearly every X-Box/GCN owner has a PS2 but not PS2 owner has a GCN/X-Box.

Stonecutter
04-25-2003, 05:40 PM
I used to work at a Mail Boxes Etc. and over a course of about a year I think I sent maybe 20 or 30 PS2's back to sony.

Xboxes sent to microsoft = 0
Gamecubes sent to nintendo = 0

Not to say those systems NEVER break but I know with xbox the in store polices for returns (which are usually set by the companies) are always more leniant than those of the ps2.

And nintendo, well hell, those things are bulit to last.

bobcat
04-25-2003, 10:45 PM
I had to buy another Psx. The laser died.

Xbox I had to send back to get my HDD replaced. I lost my save files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

GCN is solid is a rock

Dyne
04-26-2003, 12:28 AM
I think you've heard my story about my old PS2. :unsure:

Piece of ****. What a waste of money.

Yeah, I think Mikami only stepped down because PN03 didn't turn out as well as everyone expected. But, whatever. Nobody lost anything.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
This is very old, but still very funny.

He said that Biohazard is the better game, but Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game either.

Keep dreaming Capcom, keep dreaming. :)

DeathsHand
04-26-2003, 02:06 AM
I've had as many problems with my NGC as I've had with my PS2... *shrugs* And that's not really bad since I havn't had many problems with either...

Error messages while playing Metroid, and the cube randomly freezing up sometimes on some games (rarely)...

And the PS2 freezes up sometimes too (rarely)... *shrugs*

TheGame
04-26-2003, 03:40 AM
My CD Tray on my Ps2 broke... but that had nothing to do with Sony uilding it to break. Other than that I had no problems.

Well, I have problems with controlers, mainly GCN's. It seems that GCN's controlers get worn out a LOT faster. Funny it happens to my GCN ones consider I play that console the least of the three... and I slam my Ps2/Xbox controlers on occasion depending how well I do on my sports titles.

tarakan69
04-26-2003, 05:13 AM
http://www.capcom.co.jp/pn03/pn03_cl/pn_cl01.html

Project start (the manager and director)!

It was a cause that the schedule of other titles of the fourth development department shifted. The title of the first schedule top priority for the fourth. Although it is, since he wants to tell focusing on the contents of a game, a reason is dispelled to others by making it at least this.

he is also "BAKA as usual - AHO very touch [ say / that the same thing will be done although the manager and the director played two roles at the same time by the "biotechnology remake" of GC and thinking " suited the terrible experience ] -- it is .

At the time of a remake, it is to the staff. "Among one month, for one week, if the spot is not completely reached from a morning to an evening, please give director ~." very -- KITSUI -- things were said and time still fresh in memory was dented very well And the development period was short, and since it began to have considered a plan, even completion was SUPAN called OO KA moon.

In the beginning, various [ naturally ] plans were considered. There was also an absurd action game "geisha-girl State Warriors" Becoming in inside. P. -- although N.03 was a "robot war thing" in the plan stage, if it starts and a screen will be taken out in about five days -- "GAN" -- it did not burn at all Although it was war, it will be said that the game which does not burn is useless, and it will be said that a hero will be changed into man within the day. It is because the individual impression was too cool although it was not WAKE which does not burn with ROBO.

Since it was the old simplicity or old aim of the Family Computer feeling this time, in fact, the man or the woman was satisfactory for the hero. Then, the staff was asked to "To draw a hero's design immediately." I want to draw which with "man and a woman -- since it responded hearing ?" as the "woman" -- "_ -- it -- since it was decided by " that a hero would be a woman -- having carried out . Since "hero VANESSA" was born by the flow of such a talk that played a trick, it carried out. However, to VANESSA, as it is, I and the staff have intensity and it does not make a mistake in them for it to be important KYARA.

-> If many things can be said about hero VANESSA next time is considered.

Director Mikami Shinji

"Shinji Mikami: I'm still the chief PLUS director" ;)

Shadow Fox
04-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Hmm...my GCN froze ONCE playing Metroid Prime, and that's it. My PS2 is brand new (well, April 2002 new), and I haven't had a problem with it except a few DVD's that only my Xbox and a real DVD player would play. No issues with any games, but some Xbox games froze (Medal of Honor Frontline, Rallisport Challenge in spots), but I think this all has to do with how much you play the games.

I mean, I do admit that I know few people that HAVEN'T replaced their PS2's, and I'm one of them. Tekken Tag works flawlessly, and that game is almost synomonous with me pressing the power button on my PS2. Haven't had one problem yet.;)

I guess I'm either lucky, or I bought the right kind of PS2, since my original import model was crud 3 years ago.

As for Mikimi-san, there was no reason for him to go hating on Kingdom Hearts like that, but I can feel his pain. RE0 was being destroyed in Xmas sales, but at least it picked up 1.2 million units along with the remake (thanks to GCN's warm Capcomish reception in Europe).

I'm still looking forward to P.N. 03 though; and I'll probably buy it along with Killer 7.

-Official Ninja of [coming soon]...