BreakABone
04-24-2003, 10:32 PM
What is with all these racing games now?:confused:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/crashnitrokart_042403_01.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/crashnitrokart_042403_02.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/crashnitrokart_042403_03.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/crashnitrokart_042403_04.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/crashnitrokart_042403_05.jpg

Well, the game is scheduled to appear on all 3 consoles these fall and much like Mario Kart will support 8 player LAn games, I'm wondering is it possible for people on LAN to connect with folks from other consoles?

GameKinG
04-24-2003, 10:55 PM
IMO, it looks awful. I want to barf more than a bulimic after thanksgiving dinner. Thats just me though...

bobcat
04-24-2003, 11:23 PM
People have been ripping Mario Kart off for years now. None of them really compare, except maybe Diddy Kart Racing which wasn't bad, but it wasn't as fun as MK imo :)

GameMaster
04-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Lacks detail. And the first four placers' heads are pixally. That's a Gamecube no-no.

D-realJos
04-25-2003, 01:09 AM
"Copy-cat" games like these are exactly why Nintendo isn't satisfied(and shouldn't be) with feeding us the same exact experience over and over. Hence, the much "enhanced" Mario Kart: Double Dash.

It's funny how everyone is so quick to jump on x, y or z gimmick(character-based cart racing in this case) but no has the vision (or creativity, rather), to expand the genre or introduce new, significant concepts.

That's why Nintendo gets my respect.

TheGame
04-25-2003, 03:05 AM
Meh, I don't mind Copy cat games, if it wasn't for copy cats some of the best games ever made wouldn't exist. It just matters how much they expand on the ideas and how quality either product is.

In this case, I don't see much of a change, no huge expansion that warrants them borrowing Nintendo's ideas. As for quality, I don't care much for either game.

Just a little competition, the way I see it, w/o competition the best never improves. CTR raised the bar for MK64, now the new MK will raise the bar even higher... and who knows what this game will be like. Blatent Rip-off? Yes. But anything it takes to keep games progressing is good. (unkile in the sad handheld market)

Stonecutter
04-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by D-realJos
"Copy-cat" games like these are exactly why Nintendo isn't satisfied(and shouldn't be) with feeding us the same exact experience over and over. Hence, the much "enhanced" Mario Kart: Double Dash.

It's funny how everyone is so quick to jump on x, y or z gimmick(character-based cart racing in this case) but no has the vision (or creativity, rather), to expand the genre or introduce new, significant concepts.

That's why Nintendo gets my respect.

So it's fine for nintendo to turn out the exact same pokemon game over and over again and it's fine for nintendo to just take a game from one platform to another and just polish things up a bit or add a tiny new gameplay element (See SMS) but it's not ok for any other company to do it.

:rolleyes:

Bad Religion
04-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Stonecutter
So it's fine for nintendo to turn out the exact same pokemon game over and over again and it's fine for nintendo to just take a game from one platform to another and just polish things up a bit or add a tiny new gameplay element (See SMS) but it's not ok for any other company to do it.

dude, you really need to let it go man, whatever Nintendo did to you, it's time to let it go :rolleyes:

btw, Crash Team Racing was awesome!

Shadow_Link
04-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Bad Religion
dude, you really need to let it go man, whatever Nintendo did to you, it's time to let it go :rolleyes:

:lol:

btw, Crash Team Racing was awesome!

:lol::lol:

Sorry, I just didn't like CTR that much.

bobcat
04-25-2003, 09:52 AM

:lol:

Stonecutter----->:love: <------Nintendo

TheGame
04-25-2003, 01:16 PM

The fact is Nintendo made the original, so it's thier right to copy themselves. Is that an excuse for the games not improving? No, and if it is, that's a horrible excuse. But like I said, w/o head up competition games never improve..

See GBA if you want a perfect example of this. If Pokemon had threatening competition it would have progressed a LOT more in it's series than it has... but because it doesn't have any competition to fall behind, miminal improvement is all it needs.

People should be thanking god Mario Kart has competition, unless they want the same SNES game one more generation :p

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't get everybody's bitching about this game. It's probably going to suck and suck HARD. Naughty Dog doesn't have the lieences any more... this is just shovelware... wouldn't be suprised if it's coming to PS2/X-Box/GCN anyways.

Although if Naughty Dog did make a karting game based on Jak And Daxter... then we have a contender.

I know exactly what they did to him... I read his posts at teamxbox... they gave a longtime Nintendo loyalist... the N64... that console was good... but 1 good per 9 months... I think we all understand his pain.

viruscool
04-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah i think we do. BTW that game looks just blehhh. It looks like it should be on the PSX. The characters are all too sharp and the placings at the side look like GBC graphics.

Bad Religion
04-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by tarakan69
I don't get everybody's bitching about this game. It's probably going to suck and suck HARD. Naughty Dog doesn't have the lieences any more... this is just shovelware... wouldn't be suprised if it's coming to PS2/X-Box/GCN anyways.

Although if Naughty Dog did make a karting game based on Jak And Daxter... then we have a contender.

I know exactly what they did to him... I read his posts at teamxbox... they gave a longtime Nintendo loyalist... the N64... that console was good... but 1 good per 9 months... I think we all understand his pain.

LOL... you sound so serious! so he should have got a psx, what do you want? so since Nintendo messed up with the cartridge format years ago, lets' just bash them? I mean I see the Nintendo bashers on this board all the time just saying stuff that borders on simple trolling, and I don't understand it. I honestly just think I'm just too old for this board. Am I the oldest GT member at 31?

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 05:22 PM
LOL... you sound so serious! so he should have got a psx, what do you want? so since Nintendo messed up with the cartridge format years ago, lets' just bash them? I mean I see the Nintendo bashers on this board all the time just saying stuff that borders on simple trolling, and I don't understand it. I honestly just think I'm just too old for this board. Am I the oldest GT member at 31?

I am serious... Well maybe he can't relate to Nintendo anymore... I mean what can we possibly do.

31?? Probably you are... Tell ya what gaming is one bad habit... just like smoking. But at least it keeps me from wasting my money on weed and alcohol.:D

But Stonecutter does get respect for that avatar... Doctor Strangelove is a great movie.

Stonecutter
04-25-2003, 05:48 PM

Really? What's your user name over at TXB?

Personally I still really do like nintendo, that's why I own a gamecube. So much stuff that they do just pisses me off to no end though. I can't stand watching people just swallow their propaganda. "The Nintendo Difference" what a load of bull. I mean that post that I quoted before is the total epitome of the blind nintendo fan. Calling CTR a copy cat game but not realizing that next to capcom with the Street Fighter and Mega Man lines nintendo is probably the biggest proponent of copy cat games.

As long as I still buy nintendo products, no one has any right not to let me bitch as loud as I feel is necessary to everyone else that they are missing a lot of great gaming simply because they refuse to look past the cube. There are so many people that will never get to play halo simply because "TEH X-BOX SUX0RZ BTU NEANTENDO ROX0RZ j00 B0X0RZ" I'm not saying that any one I've ripped on these boards acts like that but when I see someone saying that nintendo doesn't just copy and rehash their own games I have to wonder.

tarakan69
04-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Really? What's your user name over at TXB?

Personally I still really do like nintendo, that's why I own a gamecube. So much stuff that they do just pisses me off to no end though. I can't stand watching people just swallow their propaganda. "The Nintendo Difference" what a load of bull. I mean that post that I quoted before is the total epitome of the blind nintendo fan. Calling CTR a copy cat game but not realizing that next to capcom with the Street Fighter and Mega Man lines nintendo is probably the biggest proponent of copy cat games.

As long as I still buy nintendo products, no one has any right not to let me bitch as loud as I feel is necessary to everyone else that they are missing a lot of great gaming simply because they refuse to look past the cube. There are so many people that will never get to play halo simply because "TEH X-BOX SUX0RZ BTU NEANTENDO ROX0RZ j00 B0X0RZ" I'm not saying that any one I've ripped on these boards acts like that but when I see someone saying that nintendo doesn't just copy and rehash their own games I have to wonder.

I just read up on the forums at teamxbox... I don't post. Gametavern is the only place I post. Also try visiting

www.gaming-age.com This place in my opinion has some of the best forums on the net. Speevy, TFX, Nefarious, and I think Inane_Dork go there.

Gametavern seems to have both PS2, Xbox fans to counter balance the Nintendo fanboyishm. That's why I like it

I on the other hand I like X-Box as a console... but I'm not willing to support Microsoft. I mean I did own a X-Box but bought piracy games since it did have games I wanted to play. But I can't allow Microsoft exapnd.. their has to be a counter opposing force.

http://www.msboycott.com/quotes/

Shows all the horrors that have arisen from MS's doing. Stopping innovation, buying out competition, and most important invading your life, your living room. Soon we will be bots controlled by huge companies... I live in europe and I have America TV channels. Fox for example is scares the hell out of me... America is developing into a fasict regime, were Bush points at somebody and says "Axis of evil" and everybody follows him like a crowd of sheep.

All the things you see are censored. You think "freedom" means anything to Iraqis?? They are an ancient civilazation with their own culture, they are the one of the oldest civilazations (mesopotamians). Then come americas with their understadning of McDonalds, and freedom. Freedom is to vague to describe and their understanding of freedom is different.

What scares the living hell out of me is that Microsoft is no better. It kills competion; it distrupes the foundamental bases of nature. It will too die of one day... but before that... it's scary what can happen. Imagine 20 years from know everything controlled by 1 company.. your living room is theirs... no privacy... everything is known.

You watch TV right?? Stop and think for a moment and see how many of those are reality TV shows. Those make people dumb... they make people only think about sex, drug, and enjoyment. If the goverment makes the average person dumb and ignorant... then they can be controlled. Just like the Nazis did... I am russian... I can say that we never had this much propoganda around us... sure it was alway present. But it never reached the level of boycotting french products.

People might say war on Iraq was justfiable... I say it was done to boost the american economy, and allow for the US to get their hands on cheap oil. They don't care about the Iraqis, and they could care less about freedom.

Sept 11th... a sad day... true. But it was done intantinally by the American goverment. Osama Bin Laden is their scape goat for everything, and they will never catch him... because he is the perfect excuse. All they had to do was play a few patriotic tunes, blame everything on one man... and people ate up this illusion.

You see the trend... this what is so frightening. Microsoft's little box of wonders is too good to be true... and it is. 10 years from now average Johnny will not pick up a book like George Orwell's 1984, or Ray Bradbury's Franheit 451... but will be seating in front of his TV screen playing X-Box/Playstation with a bunch of other morons online. He won't question why his goverment is bombing another country... he might not know.. or most important NOT CARE.

Ignorance is bliss... if all people can be held in this little fictiional ballon like in the Matrix... then terrible thing will happen. This scares the living daylight out of me.

I see Nintendo as the way out... They won't try to get into your room... all they'll do is make games.

Anyway... hope that wasn't too thought provoking:)

Stonecutter
04-26-2003, 03:48 AM

But Stonecutter does get respect for that avatar... Doctor Strangelove is a great movie.

Damn Straight....

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration , Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious..... bodily fluids

Stonecutter
04-26-2003, 04:05 AM
I just read up on the forums at teamxbox... I don't post. Gametavern is the only place I post. Also try visiting

www.gaming-age.com This place in my opinion has some of the best forums on the net. Speevy, TFX, Nefarious, and I think Inane_Dork go there.

Gametavern seems to have both PS2, Xbox fans to counter balance the Nintendo fanboyishm. That's why I like it

I on the other hand I like X-Box as a console... but I'm not willing to support Microsoft. I mean I did own a X-Box but bought piracy games since it did have games I wanted to play. But I can't allow Microsoft exapnd.. their has to be a counter opposing force.

http://www.msboycott.com/quotes/

Shows all the horrors that have arisen from MS's doing. Stopping innovation, buying out competition, and most important invading your life, your living room. Soon we will be bots controlled by huge companies... I live in europe and I have America TV channels. Fox for example is scares the hell out of me... America is developing into a fasict regime, were Bush points at somebody and says "Axis of evil" and everybody follows him like a crowd of sheep.

All the things you see are censored. You think "freedom" means anything to Iraqis?? They are an ancient civilazation with their own culture, they are the one of the oldest civilazations (mesopotamians). Then come americas with their understadning of McDonalds, and freedom. Freedom is to vague to describe and their understanding of freedom is different.

What scares the living hell out of me is that Microsoft is no better. It kills competion; it distrupes the foundamental bases of nature. It will too die of one day... but before that... it's scary what can happen. Imagine 20 years from know everything controlled by 1 company.. your living room is theirs... no privacy... everything is known.

You watch TV right?? Stop and think for a moment and see how many of those are reality TV shows. Those make people dumb... they make people only think about sex, drug, and enjoyment. If the goverment makes the average person dumb and ignorant... then they can be controlled. Just like the Nazis did... I am russian... I can say that we never had this much propoganda around us... sure it was alway present. But it never reached the level of boycotting french products.

People might say war on Iraq was justfiable... I say it was done to boost the american economy, and allow for the US to get their hands on cheap oil. They don't care about the Iraqis, and they could care less about freedom.

Sept 11th... a sad day... true. But it was done intantinally by the American goverment. Osama Bin Laden is their scape goat for everything, and they will never catch him... because he is the perfect excuse. All they had to do was play a few patriotic tunes, blame everything on one man... and people ate up this illusion.

You see the trend... this what is so frightening. Microsoft's little box of wonders is too good to be true... and it is. 10 years from now average Johnny will not pick up a book like George Orwell's 1984, or Ray Bradbury's Franheit 451... but will be seating in front of his TV screen playing X-Box/Playstation with a bunch of other morons online. He won't question why his goverment is bombing another country... he might not know.. or most important NOT CARE.

Ignorance is bliss... if all people can be held in this little fictiional ballon like in the Matrix... then terrible thing will happen. This scares the living daylight out of me.

I see Nintendo as the way out... They won't try to get into your room... all they'll do is make games.

Anyway... hope that wasn't too thought provoking:)

I get what you're saying... Kind of.

And I have read both 451 and 1984 (never actually finished 1984, it was a great book but I just stopped for some reason and I've yet to pick it back up) but in this case that's neither here nor there.

I don't want to turn this into a foreign policy discussion but lets just say I don't support (didn't support) the war on Iraq so that puts me into about a 20% minority in the US. That should give you a pretty good idea of where I stand.

But I still really have to disagree with you on the whole MS thing. The xbox is a fantastic system and I don't believe they're really turning it into some giant multimedia hub. If that's what you fear I think sony is the much bigger target. Remember when they signed macromedia, flash, shockwave and all those other companies to help out with the online plan. So far none of it has come to fruition but I believe they're more likely to try it. I see xbox as a system that allows you to play games in your home and over the internet if you so choose. It's not a computer centered on games it's a game machine that just happens to kind of work like a computer.

Think about this. If your computer uses windows and you own an xbox, that's 2 ms products and now unless you have multiple computers, that's about the end of the line for microsoft. Now your walkman, your radio, your tv, your dvd player, your playstation, your VCR your tuner and hell, maybe even your computer is made by sony. Sony is a lot more encompassing that MS IMHO.

I don't think nintendo is trying to build some giant either but I'd say in the games department they're a lot further along than ms because of all the toys and whatnot that gets mario and pokemon stamped on it.

Edit: Oh yeah, one other thing, outside of sporting events and the occasional simpsons rerun I probably watch less than 1 hour of tv a week.

Just in case you were trying to exploit some typical American stereotypes. ;)

tarakan69
04-26-2003, 05:04 AM
I agree that Sony might sound more like a company who is going to control our living rooms, but Microsoft has shown that they are willing to through money around and lose lots of it ust to go ahead of Sony.

Next gen will look different... iether Nintendo shapes up and takes 2nd place or takes a beating... or PS3 is going to have to compete with the XBox 2. Eventually Microsoft will hit #1 if the continue on losing money and poushing the X-Box hard.

That's why "I" believe that Nintendo's best bet is to make a pure gaming console... because they won't and can't go head to head with Sony/MS.

As long as their is competition, I'll be happy. I mean Sony needs something to counter attack it. But if Microsoft starts doing something funny with the X-Box, average joe won't realize it... I mean we gamers would probably boycott the X-Box... but does that really matter when the casual go for what's trendy without realizing the dangers.

I mean I have Windows on my PCs... all I can say is that the damn thing comes with spyware biult in... same with MSN messenger. It keep track of everything I do on the net which is later sold by Microsoft. Thank god for Lavasoft's Adware programs... no damn spyware on PC. Same thing will happen with X-Box... why do you think they are pushing live so hard??

Cool... I watch TV so rarely I don't remeber the last time I did. rubbish is what it mostly offers.

Bad Religion
04-26-2003, 10:37 AM
interesting what direction a thread can take..:) anyway, not that i have a HUGE problem with MS (as I use my windows xp based pc), I think the difference people see is that MS wants to monopolize whatever industry they are involved with, and this is true. I think you've heard the countless charges, etc that the federal govt has brought and tried over the years against MS... with sony, it's not quite the same... either way i don't really give a rat's ass, i'm just observing.. i've love to have an xbox for halo, but i reallly can't justify the purchased with all the other stuff i've bought and let collect dust over the past year... oh, and as for that fanboy discussion, the part i don't see is how you guys think that there are a lot of nintendo fanboys on this board... i see more ps2/xbox by far, and really only one nintendo fanboy that i know of (sorry jonbo :D ) i'm glad this thread took a turn for the better anyway

tarakan69
04-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Well one thing is for sure... Sony although dominate right now is not a MONOPOLY in any of the markets. They have Philiphs, Toshiba, Nec and a bunch of other companies on their as to compete with.

MS on the other hand exploited their monopoly of the OS market to application, web browsers, games, and EVEN hardware.

My brother is a programmer... he explained all the limitations Microsoft has placed upon the industry. Microsoft is trying to cripple Java by creating a counter opposing copycat programming langaue C Sharp.

Any high level assosiation in need for foward software won't go to MS... they'll go to Sun Microsystems.

I know non of this applies to the gaming market... for now that is. Don't forget that it took MS an average of 7-9 years to break through with each of their products and this is wha scares me with the X-Box.

Bad Religion
04-26-2003, 12:47 PM
also in the latest pc gamer, there is an interesting article about the next windows os (due in 2005 or so) and how they are COMPLETELY focusing on making the pc more console-like for gamers, where you can play without an install, standardized controllers, and less patch-type problems... btw, sorry for getting so off topic, i really have fond memories of 4-player CTR, so maybe they can make this work!