PDA

View Full Version : PS3 not to use "Cell" chip

DarkMaster
04-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Online news sites are reporting that the spring 2003 issue of Electronic Design Chain, an electronics trade magazine, features PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi on the cover, and also contains very surprising news about the Playstation 3.

According to the reports, Kutaragi mentions that final production of the "Cell" chip, originally thought to be used in the PlayStation 3, may not be ready until 2007. He also confirms that the CPU in the PlayStation 3 will in fact not be the Cell processor, contrary to earlier reports.

With a targeted PlayStation 3 launch in 2005/2006, delayed production of the Cell processor may have caused Sony to find a different solution for their next-generation console.

Source: IGN PS2

this is indeed interesting news...

CrOnO_LiNk
04-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Hmmm,

the "Cell" chip, originally thought to be used in the PlayStation 3, may not be ready until 2007.

That would give others in the industry a huge head start. And I doubt the PS2 will even be dead by 2007...

Oh well, I wonder what they're going to use now. It's amazing to see how fast technology is growing.

Perfect Stu
04-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I'd like to know why this is such interesting news :confused:

DarkMaster
04-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
I'd like to know why this is such interesting news :confused:
you know of the amazing capabilities of the "Cell", correct?

so, this amazing chip will not be used in the PS3.

you see now why its so interesting?

;)

Joeiss
04-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I wonder what chip they are going to use now! ANd I wonder if those "1000 times more powerful than PS2" predictions will be history now.

Jonbo298
04-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Good ol' hype by Sony, now shot down. But I too wonder what will be used instead.

DeathsHand
04-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
Good ol' hype by Sony, now shot down. But I too wonder what will be used instead.

I wouldn't necesarily call it hype... And even if it was, hype doesn't do much good in the first place when it's still 2 or 3 years before the system comes out...

ZeroCool51
04-20-2003, 01:57 AM
Wow Jonbo you complain about how everyone is always bashing you but how can you blame them when you bash their system. And I dont really think that this will really matter that much in development of the PS3.

ominub
04-20-2003, 02:00 AM

thats the dumbest f*cking thing ive heard from you all month

Jonbo298
04-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Duffman
Wow Jonbo you complain about how everyone is always bashing you but how can you blame them when you bash their system. And I dont really think that this will really matter that much in development of the PS3.

What in the hell am I bashing Sony about? All I said was that they made hype and it was shot down. If Nintendo hyped up something and failed to show it, I would say the exact same thing. I believe you and Jon C. are the dumb ones right now.

Originally posted by ominub
thats the dumbest f*cking thing ive heard from you all month

How is it dumb?! I was stating the truth. And nothing beats out the **** you like to speak whenever we are at Joe's.

Shadow_Link
04-21-2003, 06:57 PM
The only way this could be interesting is if Sony were really depending on that Cell processor to be in the PS3, and if the whole design was based around it. But I have no doubts they have a back up. They must have known in advance that having the cell produced by 2005/6 would be ambitious.

Perfect Stu
04-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
The only way this could be interesting is if Sony were really depending on that Cell processor to be in the PS3, and if the whole design was based around it. But I have no doubts they have a back up. They must have known in advance that having the cell produced by 2005/6 would be ambitious.

backup? the 'Cell technology' was only rumoured to be the heart of the PS3

TheGame
04-21-2003, 10:55 PM

lol, hype... I remember people at nintendose saying Ps2 is all hype, and how it was going to turn out to be worse than the all mighty dolphin/Gamecube.

When I think back on it though, it seems like the Cube was the console that was all hype, and Ps2 was the console that was far better than expectations.

Seven7
04-21-2003, 11:19 PM
I would be willing to wait another year in order to have the cell chip be in it rather then have some chip that may not be that great in comparsion.

Shadow_Link
04-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
backup? the 'Cell technology' was only rumoured to be the heart of the PS3

The only way this could be interesting is if Sony were really depending on that Cell processor to be in the PS3, and if the whole design was based around it

I'm just trying to stress the point that any half decent company will always have a backup plan IF anything doesn't go according to plan. This obviously doesn't apply if the Cell processor wasn't really a part of Sony's plan.

So even if it was going to be, they'd have a backup that would probably do the job around as well.

Come on, no need to get defensive ;).

PuPPeT
04-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Well I did try to tell all some time ago that the PS3 would not have the Cell chip in it!!!!! :D

Perfect Stu
04-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
Come on, no need to get defensive ;).

:lol: