PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Across the Board

BreakABone
04-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Rumor: Rare is in the early development stages of a new Killer Instinct and Battletoads game to launch with Microsoft's next console in 2005.

Bryan says: This rumor seems to keep popping up every six months. We all know Rare's Killer Instinct development team is torn between 2D and 3D. They've stated this on their website many times. We also know that Rare has interest in developing a new KI and Battletoads. They recently asked fans to write in concerning which franchises they should bring back on the Xbox. Needless to say, KI and Battletoads were both repeatedly mentioned.

If this rumor had stated the games would be releasing on the Xbox, I would probably shoot it down right there. However, since it mentions Microsoft's next console, it makes this tidbit a real possibility. Rare has their hands full right now, but they like to do things right, no matter how long they have to delay a game. With nearly three years to complete these two games, while still working on their current Xbox projects, an Xbox 2 launch seems plausible.
Well this rumor (atleast the KI one) has been around since around when the Dolphin was first talked about so I wouldn't be too surprised if it came to life soon well not soon but eh.

Rumor: Resident Evil 0 will be hitting the PlayStation 2 this fall due to GameCube sales falling well short of Capcom's initial projections.

Bryan says: The fact that Resident Evil 0 didn't sell as well on the GCN as it would have sold on the PS2 is a no-brainer. It was a valiant attempt by Nintendo and Capcom to eliminate the age barrier surrounding the GameCube, but there just wasn't enough support from other, more mature software.

The only thing keeping this rumor in check is the contract Nintendo and Capcom have in regards to Resident Evil games. RE0 and future sequels were supposed to be GameCube exclusive. Now obviously there is an end to this contract, as well as loop holes for games like Gun Survivor and RE: Online. I wouldn't be surprised if either the contract is up, or Capcom found a way out of it. The only remaining question would have to deal with the prospect of Capcom releasing RE: Online and RE0 around the same time later this year. If one of them hits late summer and the other around the holidays it's possible. Otherwise I wouldn't hold my breath for this one.
I don't know even though Capcom has talked about the Capcom 5 not being exclusive, one thing they have always kept to was the RE series (Re Remake, Re 0 and RE 4) were all exclusive to the Cube and since RE 4 isn't set to be released this year, I'm guessing the exclusive deal is still intack.

Rumor: Nintendo and Retro Studios are already knee-deep into the development of a sequel to Metroid Prime. Nintendo has plans to release the game this holiday season.

Bryan says: Nintendo has made it clear that they want to increase their share in the console market as soon as possible. While Metroid didn't meet their sales expectations, it was very well received by the media. Frankly, any game that includes a big Nintendo franchise will boost GameCube sales. Since Zelda has already released, with F-Zero and Star Fox in development, Metroid is the next apparent step.

Assuming Retro started work on the new Metroid immediately after Prime was completed, would thy have enough time to polish it up for a holiday release? If they plan to use the same basic engine it could be done. Now that Retro has a solid handle on the GameCube, it becomes even more of a reality. If Nintendo can round out the year with another Mario, in addition to another Metroid, they just might make up some of that lost ground.

Well assuming that Metroid Prime 2 has already been announced by Retro and Nintendo,it is probably coming, but by the end of the year? I don't know, but maybe Nintendo will try nd push for it to be their big holiday title. I mean with rumors suggesting that Mario 128 will be ready for a Japanese release date near the end of the year, I wouldn't be too surprised if Metroid Prime was completed this year.

Rumor: The first trailer for Metal Gear Solid 3 will be on display at E3 2003.

Bryan says: Hideo Kojima is hard at work on something. Everyone seems to think it's Metal Gear Solid 3, and no one has reason to believe otherwise. Therefore, it would be a logical assumption for the first real sign of the game to come in the form of an E3 trailer. Konami did it with Metal Gear Solid 2, so why not allow the sequel to do the same?

Sony also needs something to hype up at their annual E3 press conference. The last two years their big name games have been Madden and SOCOM. While Madden will likely be shown with new online features (headset anyone?), SOCOM is finally out of the picture. Jak II will make its presence known, but you still need something huge. MGS3 would be the missing piece to round out Sony's press conference.
Well, the word is Metal Gear Solid 3 is coming, but will Konami reveal two Metal Gear games at the same time? I don't know, but I believe Shiggy said that word on the MG for the Cube would come during e3.

Rumor: Dimps is well underway with a sequel to Dragonball Z: Budokai. This time around the game will hit PS2 and Xbox with online play. Expect the game to hit around the holiday season.

Bryan says: No one has to tell Infogrames and Dimps that Dragonball is hot right now. With GT just getting started on Cartoon Network, the anime won't be dying down anytime soon. In addition, some of the major complaints with the original Budokai revolved around its lack of online play, and the fact that it only followed the first half of the series. This leaves two big features for a sequel.

The only problem here is that Infogrames already announced a GameCube port of Budokai to release late this summer. While it wouldn't make sense to leave the holiday season baron of a PS2 Dragonball game, why not scrap the GCN port and instead release Budokai 2 on both systems? Something is missing, and we won't know the truth until Infogrames can be questioned at E3. Stay tuned on this one.
I don't know, when Dragon Ball Z was first announced, the company stated they had no plans to release a game for the Xbox because it skewed to a demographic too high (ironic ain't it?), and there was word on a Cube game that linked up to the GBA games, my guess is the RPG/action game for the Cube was cancelled and they decided to port Budokai, but it wouldn't make sense to release both of them so close, or maybe they will release Budokai on the Cube at a discount price in the summer and then the sequel on Ps2 and GCN in the winter, who knows. It wasn't the greatest fighting game in my opinion, but eh it sold like hotcakes.

Rumor: Sony is in talks to have Grand Theft Auto 4 and Tekken 5 release on the PlayStation 3 as launch titles. Both games will include online play.

Bryan says: This is a big one. We already know that Rockstar has shifted the true sequel to GTA3 from the PS2, to the more powerful PS3. We also know that Namco was recently hiring programmers for a new game in the Tekken series. Given the amount of time both developers would have before the launch of the PS3, this rumor makes sense.

Online play is another matter. Capcom has already proved it can be done with modern fighting games. Since the PlayStation 3 is supposed to be super powerful in comparison to the PS2, Namco should be able to pull off a new Tekken with online play. This scenario becomes even more of a reality when you factor in a two year development cycle. Rockstar would have even more time since the US release of the PS3 will likely come several months after the Japanese release. Both titles would make a killer combination for the PS3 launch lineup.
Well, I remember when GTA 3 first came out, there was an interview in EGM (I believe) where Rockstar talked about wanting to implement online play in the next GTA game, and since Vice City and I'm assuming the next game or more or less an expansion of the GTA III universe, that GTA IV may in fact have online play. As for Tekken, well everyone has always wanted a fighter online, even though some have been, never to a great deal with such small audiences. And if this is true, it looks like Sony will be pushing for online play to be a major aspect of their next console.

http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?ftrid=59

Idiot
04-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Hm, interesting, in a sort of rumour-mill way. Oh, and what a suprise to see Rare having to supposedly dreg it's franchise barrel with Battletoads. It seems that the future does not blow good winds for Rare.....

Perfect Stu
04-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Sounds okay, but I doubt many people will want RE:0.

nWoCHRISnWo
04-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Battletoads? Sweeeet, I love that series.

Stonecutter
04-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Idiot
Hm, interesting, in a sort of rumour-mill way. Oh, and what a suprise to see Rare having to supposedly dreg it's franchise barrel with Battletoads. It seems that the future does not blow good winds for Rare.....

The future does not blow good winds for rare? They're under MS's wing, who won't try and control them the way nintendo did. They're in better shape now than they ever had been before. MS just announced that they look at the xbox as a 20 year investment (xbox and the subsiquent consoles.)

Stop being such a fanboy.

Oh yeah, dreg is a noun, not a verb.

Shadow_Link
04-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Stonecutter
They're in better shape now than they ever had been before.

That's a pretty bold statement. Can you provide us with proof? Thought so.

They have yet to release a game for the Xbox, and quite a bit of their talent has left for development houses such as Retro Studios, Square, Capcom, Nintendo themsleves and Zoonami (Some have also gone to Free Radical, though that was before Rare was sold to MS). This doesn't mean though that they have completely lost their talent. Their spell with the Xbox will be the decider.

If they can produce a game like DKC 1/2/3, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day etc under MS's wing, then they probabaly are in as good a shape as they were under Nintendo. And yup, we all know they had talent even before Nintendo acquired their services. But you cannot deny the fact that Nintendo had helped them immensely with the production of their games.

I don't think he was the only one acting like a fanboy ;).

Oh, and what does MS announcing the Xbox as a 20 year investment got to do with anything? I think Sony will be around for just as long, and Nintendo themselves have stated they will not be leaving the hardware business anytime soon.

Jason1
04-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
That's a pretty bold statement. Can you provide us with proof? Thought so.

They have yet to release a game for the Xbox, and quite a bit of their talent has left for development houses such as Retro Studios, Square, Capcom, Nintendo themsleves and Zoonami (Some have also gone to Free Radical, though that was before Rare was sold to MS). This doesn't mean though that they have completely lost their talent. Their spell with the Xbox will be the decider.

If they can produce a game like DKC 1/2/3, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day etc under MS's wing, then they probabaly are in as good a shape as they were under Nintendo. And yup, we all know they had talent even before Nintendo acquired their services. But you cannot deny the fact that Nintendo had helped them immensely with the production of their games.

Oh, and what does MS announcing the Xbox as a 20 year investment got to do with anything? I think Sony will be around for just as long, and Nintendo themselves have stated they will not be leaving the hardware business anytime soon.

I agree completly. I mean, I see no real reason why Rare is better off now than they were with Nintendo. They had a nice fanbase, and they lost some of that fanbase when they went to Microsoft. And we will have to wait until they actually release a game on the XBox to see if they still have their talent. (Starfox Adventures didnt exactly wow anybody)

GameKinG
04-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Well their loss of some staff, I dont think will affect them in areas other than maybe PD0. The only thing that does worry me is games like Star Fox Adventures, and Banjo Tooie, which are fairly recent for them, and not very good to me. And KI2 wasnt that great. Yet, I am interested to see conker and other new brand new things (besides Kameo, that doesnt look too great either).

Perfect Stu
04-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link

I agree...but Stonecutter wasn't the other one

Shadow_Link
04-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Well that's your opinion.

Joeiss
04-18-2003, 08:34 PM
I think that possibly Rare being with Microsoft could be better because Perfect Dark will be online... And that (if it is done right of course, which I think will happen) will be amazing.

Idiot
04-19-2003, 07:02 AM
I really should have added IMO, then this whole mess wouldn't have got started. True, Rare have yet to release any software for the X-Box, but somehow, I dunno, Rare just doesn't hold the allure or overall brand shine that it once had......IMO.

Stonecutter
04-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Right, because they don't work for nintendo anymore :rolleyes:

And its Xbox not X-Box.

Joeiss
04-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Lol stonecutter....

Boy oh boy there are some idiots on these boards.

The Germanator
04-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss

Boy oh boy there are some idiots on these boards.

Well, at least this guy is a self-proclaimed one! :D

Bad Religion
04-23-2003, 02:40 PM
so now people can't have opinions on this board without the X-BOX gestapo jumping all over them... maybe Rare has lost it's lustre with him, not because they aren't with N anymore, but because their last few games.. ummm... SUCKED? yeah and you read it right, X-BOX... i mean constantly correcting the spelling of your console, that has to be the biggest fanboy move i've ever seen on a board

TheGame
04-23-2003, 03:03 PM
-The Rumor that gets me is the GTA4(or 3 and 2/3) and Tekken 5 Ps3 launch games!!!!!!!

They much be planning to put somewhere around a million Ps3's on software shelvs at launch if they are going to release it with such high profile games.

-As for Battletoads, assuming they keep the diffuculty, and the Co-op play in tact, I think this game will kick serious ass.

-Metriod? Who cares? If it's coming out so soon chances are it will be rushed. :p

But, if it does come out, I hope for some Co-op action (2-4 players) and some deathmatch games too!

-DBZ is sounding like a possibility. I liked the first game, but I think they should basically take the first game's engine, and put the WHOLE DBZ series into it. Have the story mode from different perspectives, or have the sme general story where you jump around, just with more detail (and add the second half of the series too :))

Hopfully they don't get rid of the simple but effective fighting system of the old game. I don't want them to try and copy Tekken or MK:DA and fail misserably at it.

-As for MGS3, I hope it's not exclusive to GCN... I like MGS2's gameplay WAY too much on Ps2 the way it is. Some things the Ps2's controller is capible of won't be able to be pulled off correctly on the cube to.

If it's two seperate games, let it be... I'll get the Ps2 one and let the GCN die a slow death so they don't make the mistake of putting it on another system again.

-As far as RE... that series needs a huge overhaul in the gameplay area. I'm not impressed with any RE game on GCN to date.

Stonecutter
04-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Bad Religion
so now people can't have opinions on this board without the X-BOX gestapo jumping all over them... maybe Rare has lost it's lustre with him, not because they aren't with N anymore, but because their last few games.. ummm... SUCKED? yeah and you read it right, X-BOX... i mean constantly correcting the spelling of your console, that has to be the biggest fanboy move i've ever seen on a board

Biggest fanboy move? Nah, I just think it makes you look like a moron. I'm sure I'd get a few people telling me that the correct spelling is GCN if I started throwng NGC around.

And Xbox gestapo? LOL. Who? Me, Bond, Strangler and Tonbar? That's about it. Just about everyone else on these boards is on the Nintendo gestapo.

TheGame
04-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Just about everyone else on these boards is on the Nintendo gestapo.

*steem starts bursting out of head*

But anyway... I think Rare is in much better shape then they were with Nintendo. Rare has more Freedom now, and they are in an environment where they are more respected.

Out of all Nintendo's 2nd parties, in the N64 generation Rare slopped out the most good original content. Not only that... who were the guys sitting there pushing N64's hardware to it's limits?

I think Rare will be just fine. Hell, and Nintendo selling Rare is almost like selling my lock on buying a Nintendo console next generation.

It's funny though, Metrion Prime gets a sequal all fast even though it didn't sell great but just because of it's plublicity... then Perfect Dark who was held down by the expansion pack, doesn't get a sequal because for some odd reason Nintendo didn't think it was popular?

Hell, I used to have parties over my house and lots of guys who didn't own N64s or PD would come over and play the game, and they thought it was great. Plus PD got great scores. I think it was just a mistake on Nintendo's part selling Rare.

PD (with a lil help from Halo) automatically makes my Xbox unsellable

Perfect Stu
04-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Just about everyone else on these boards is on the Nintendo gestapo.

:nono:

:wave2:

:D

Stonecutter
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
AH-HEM!

Since it aparantly bears repeating.

JUST ABOUT

JUST ABOUT

JUST ABOUT

Perfect Stu
04-23-2003, 05:00 PM
AH-HEM!

Since it aparantly bears repeating.

JUST ABOUT

JUST ABOUT

JUST ABOUT

but those other guys got their names mentioned. "JUST ABOUT" SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPRESENT ME!!!!! :mad: :(

:sneaky:

Stonecutter
04-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Actually, I named the other people on the xbox staff. There was a reason I picked those 4 people.

Idiot
04-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey, less of the idiot bashing thank-you. Perhaps you got the wrong idea with my contempt for Rare, (whose recent output has been mediocre at best)
but I didn't mention Microsoft at all, or inclined that Rare were the worse off for being with them. I am no great romantic for Microsoft, but I believe that the X-Box, (Yes, I couldn't care less wether you think of it as being spelt Xbox or whatever, it smacks of pedantry, a most dehabilitating condition.) is their best product, well, ever. So enraptured with it that I'm on the verge of buying one, so bias and the cry of 'fanboyism' are hardly appropriate, esspecialy when I have made no direct or even vaugley indirect attack on Microsoft in this thread, for once.
Okay, so perhaps my remarks on Rare in my first post were a little too snideand vauge, but I'm not going to ignore the derision of my opinion that Rare is a has-been developer, and for it to be linked, with absolutly no supporting evidence, to a supposed blind aversion on my part to the merits of the X-Box, then I really have nothing to state but my shock that these recent 'fanboy' witch hunts have come to such endemic levels.......IMO;)

Now lets, get on with our lives and be happy in whatever ways we choose to lead them, and whatever brand allegiance we hold. Phew, now thats out of my way, I feel much happier.......

Stonecutter
04-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Dehabilitating? huh?

I'll do you a favor and just assume that you meant debilitating.

Pedantry is debilitating? Nahhh, I'd say a little anal retentiveness now and then keeps the rest of the world straight.

And in this case, it is not a matter of being anal, it's a matter of being correct.

I'm generally not even going to try for grammatical perfection in my posts, but if you want to take it to that level, be prepared to whip out the word processor and give your posts a little spell check before hand.

tarakan69
04-23-2003, 07:58 PM
My opinion on Rare= Great developer.

I mean come on Nintendo fans having been waiting for games like Perfect Dark 0, Kameo etc...

All of a sudden they get bought out by Microsoft and Nintendo fans start shouting.

RAre iS TEh SUck@!!111!@

Hypocritical isn't it??

Idiot
04-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Sorry Stonecutter, my mistake, and I apologise for the whole pedantry thing.
I misspelt dibilitating due to regional dilect issues in the UK that leads to the pronounciation of 'dibilitating' to become 'dehabilitating', which is then transferred into the phonetic spelling dehabilitation, for those who either want to know or indeed care about this issue.

Onto other matters, indeed it would seem that GTA and Tekken as launch games for the PS3 would be a canny move on Sony's part. I'm sure that GTA would fly of the shelves no problem, but as for Tekken, well, it's unpredictable at best IMO.

BreakABone
04-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Well, I don't know since the thread has gone completely off course for some odd reason, I would just like to make one observation of the current state of the board.

Is no one allowed to have an opinion anymore?

I mean one person says something negative towards MS or PS2, they are a Nintendo fanboy.

Someone says something postive about Nintendo and it's console, they are Nintendo fanboys.

Someone says anything positive about the PS2 or Xbox, and they are Sony/MS fanboys.

Someone says anything negative about Nintendo.

Is there like no freedom of thoughts allowed here anymore or something?

When the hell did these forum become so damn defensive?

bobcat
04-24-2003, 12:33 PM
:unsure:

Dyne
04-24-2003, 12:38 PM
I agree with Bobcat.. really, guys. Grow up.

BlueFire
04-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
Well, I don't know since the thread has gone completely off course for some odd reason, I would just like to make one observation of the current state of the board.

Is no one allowed to have an opinion anymore?

I mean one person says something negative towards MS or PS2, they are a Nintendo fanboy.

Someone says something postive about Nintendo and it's console, they are Nintendo fanboys.

Someone says anything positive about the PS2 or Xbox, and they are Sony/MS fanboys.

Someone says anything negative about Nintendo.

Is there like no freedom of thoughts allowed here anymore or something?

When the hell did these forum become so damn defensive? I agree.. :unsure:

Shadow_Link
04-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BLueFire
I agree.. :unsure:

Ditto.

Back on topic tough.

Since we're talking about rumours, what does everyone think about the MS and Sega situation? Could it happen? Will it happen? Would it be better for Sega to stay multiplatform?

It seems as though their top titles sell better on the PS2 and GCN than on the Xbox, but the sales of their sports titles on the Xbox are pretty much even with PS2, with a few exceptions (and a whole lot better than on the GCN).

I reckon Sega should stay as a 3rd party for the time being, and make its mind up around the time of the next generation. Though I guess it wouldn't hurt them in the financial sense if they were bought out.

Perfect Stu
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
^^^ ditto? you called Stonecutter a fanboy near the beginning of the thread :unsure:

Stonecutter
04-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I think it would be better for Sega if they were bought out. They don't make much money on anything now as it is. I don't think it would be better for gamers however.

If, for instance, ms buys out sega. Do we still see games like sonic adventure coming to xbox? I doubt it.

You must also look at games like GV and PDO. Two awesome games that didn't sell very well. Will a company like MS who takes Sega under its wing even allow these games to come out, knowing that there will be little chance of them moving very many copies? I doubt it.

I also really fear for the future of sega sports if they're bought out. NFL Feaver is an awful game when compared to nfl2k3 (come to think of it, so is Madden.) Are we still going to get the 2k games after sega is no more?

tarakan69
04-24-2003, 05:26 PM
I think it would be better for Sega if they were bought out. They don't make much money on anything now as it is. I don't think it would be better for gamers however.

If, for instance, ms buys out sega. Do we still see games like sonic adventure coming to xbox? I doubt it.

You must also look at games like GV and PDO. Two awesome games that didn't sell very well. Will a company like MS who takes Sega under its wing even allow these games to come out, knowing that there will be little chance of them moving very many copies? I doubt it.

I also really fear for the future of sega sports if they're bought out. NFL Feaver is an awful game when compared to nfl2k3 (come to think of it, so is Madden.) Are we still going to get the 2k games after sega is no more?

Well if MS bought them out I think would be the BEST company which could possibly do that. They are already losing so much money to simply break through into the market.

They would sponsor games like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Headhunter even if they didn't sell great just to increase thier userbase as much as possible.

A company like Nintendo or Sony would stamp them as "unprofitable" games and would never make sequels. Microsoft would market them, to appeal to niche market. This would be very important next gen.

Also why would the Sega Sport series disappear?? Konami has 3 or 4 different soccer titles her in Europe and all of them compete with each other. So basicly Microsoft could easily sponsor 2 parallel games... this could only look good in the eyes of the public.

Shadow_Link
04-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
^^^ ditto? you called Stonecutter a fanboy near the beginning of the thread :unsure:

Did you not happen to notice the ;) at the end?

Besides, don't you have antything to contribute to this thread that's actually on topic?

Oh yeh, I reckon it would actually be better for gamers if Sega were on one platform. Stonecutter, could you explain why Sonic wouldn't appear on the Xbox? :confused:

TheGame
04-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Heyyy... I say Sega would be just fine bein bought out by M$

they will develop games mre like the DC/Saturn days instead of making lower quality games thatthey are making now.

Well, it's all opinion.. do you like Sega better tied down to DC and Saturn, or do you like them how they are now better?