PDA

View Full Version : Sony announce details of new PS2.

Shadow_Link
04-17-2003, 10:40 AM
15/04/2003: 15:22]
An updated model featuring improved DVD playback hits Japan next month - but will it see a UK release?

Sony have announced details of a new PS2 with improved DVD playback capabilities that will be released in Japan next month - although there's no confirmation yet on whether it'll reach the UK.

"The latest version of the PlayStation 2 is being introduced first in Japan," a spokesperson for Sony told us. "At this stage, no European model is available and plans for its availability in Europe are not yet set."

The nattily-titled PlayStation 2 SCPH-50000 - which, cosmetically, looks the same as current models - will be released in Japan on 15 May, priced at 25,000 yen (around £130). Sony have cited the huge expansion of the DVD market since PS2 was originally launched as the reason for focusing an updated machine on high-end DVD playback.

The SCPH-50000 will now be compatible with DVD-R and DVD-RW, allowing it to play discs that have been recorded or edited on other DVD recorders. Also supported will be DVD progressive scan playback, which can provide far higher quality images than the current PS2.

The updated console also features a built-in infra-red receiver, allowing you to use a DVD remote without it being necessary to plug one of those little IR Receiver Units into a controller port. On top of that, a brand new DVD remote will offer the additional functions of being able to switch the power on and off and opening/closing the disc tray.

Finally, fan noise has been reduced by an impressive 75% thanks to an improved airflow control, which will come as welcome news for anyone who's been distracted during quiet moments in films by PS2's roar.

The one sacrifice that appears to have been made in the new console design is that the iLink interface, which allowed you to daisychain PS2s together for multiplayer gaming, is no longer included.

We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear any more news on whether the machine is likely to reach the UK.

Perfect Stu
04-17-2003, 10:43 AM
DVD-R playback will be nice in the coming years...

I hope Sony decides to make a 'PStwo' version of the system, not unlike the tiny 'PSone' system. That would be sweet.

Thanks for the news Shadow :)

Shadow_Link
04-17-2003, 10:58 AM
No probs.

Do you think it was worth it sacrificing the iLink feature for
DVD-R/RW playback?

Do any of you use the iLink feature, and would you prefer
DVD-R/RW to it?

It probabaly doesn't make a difference to any of us who already have a PS2 though, but I'm just wondering :D.

TheGame
04-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
No probs.

Do you think it was worth it sacrificing the iLink feature for
DVD-R/RW playback?

Do any of you use the iLink feature, and would you prefer
DVD-R/RW to it?

It probabaly doesn't make a difference to any of us who already have a PS2 though, but I'm just wondering :D.

I use the iLink feature a lot... but, I think it can be sacraficed because there is still the Network adapter... as long as there's the other way around, it's fine.

Perfect Stu
04-17-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they're gonna start bundling the system with the NA, which can be used for LAN/iLink gameplay, right? (I could be wrong)

Shadow_Link
04-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Well, I haven't heard anything about that, but if you have, then it's probably true. But why would they do that instead of leaving the iLink feature in? Maybe they wont? Or maybe it would be cheaper for them to just give the NA (which I doubt).

Perfect Stu
04-17-2003, 04:18 PM
They want online gaming to hit more mainstream appeal...bundling it with the system would be the best thing I could think of to do that

Clone_GCC
04-19-2003, 12:06 AM
so is this a new Playstation [PS3] or just an improved model of the PS2?

Jonbo298
04-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Clone_GCC
so is this a new Playstation [PS3] or just an improved model of the PS2?

Improved model of the PS2

Clone_GCC
04-19-2003, 12:35 AM
ah thought so.

i hope it isnt super small like the ps1, too many times i have nearly crushed my ps1 because i couldnt see it

bobcat
04-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Damn they aren't changing the design of it. I was hoping it was gonna be something more like Ps one or something.

Seven7
04-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Clone_GCC
ah thought so.

i hope it isnt super small like the ps1, too many times i have nearly crushed my ps1 because i couldnt see it
Then why don't you paint it with a bright color or something. :p