PDA

View Full Version : Sega and Namco.... to MERGE!?

CrOnO_LiNk
04-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Wow, it seems like everyone is starting to merge...

First Square and Enix, now Sega and Namco?

Here it is...

Namco and Sega could merge
Japan's financial newspaper, Nihon Keizai Shinbun, has reported that Namco is currently discussing the possibility of merging with Sega. If the two were to come together, they would become the largest software-only company in Japan; combined, the two generate over 350 billion yen a year (about $3 billion). According to the article, Namco would yield to Sega, who would become the remaining company sometime in 2004. Higher-ups at Sega apparently aren't 100% certain that this consolidation would be for the best, though, and the decision will likely be settled in a meeting scheduled for next wednesday.

Besides creating great software on consoles, Sega and Namco are also the two biggest arcade gaming manufacturers in Japan. The idea is, Namco would help Sega's brand in Japan, but the Sega name would benefit Namco in the worldwide market, where it's presence isn't as strong. If the two companies make an agreement, it would certainly be the end of a legend as Namco would be absorbed by Sega. However, the possibilities of a pair of the finest companies in the history of videogames making software together is also an exciting affair. We'll keep you updated on all the happenings as soon as we learn more.

What's next, Nintendo and Capcom, yeah, right....

Source:
Games are Fun... and Gamers (EGM) (http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1050517832,81270,)

Jonbo298
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
I hope this doesn't happen. I like both Sega and Namco and if Sega merged with Namco, I think it would be more bad then good, IMO. But who knows...:unsure:

Dyne
04-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Fake.... I think.. I hope..

Well, that would only make Triorce Stronger. They should have strong ties to Nintendo.

Unless Microsoft buys them. Then theres going to be a HUGE conglomeration problem.

One Winged Angel
04-16-2003, 10:01 PM
I don't think this will be a good move for Sega. Namco are good game developers but Sega has more potential than them.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
I hope this doesn't happen. I like both Sega and Namco and if Sega merged with Namco, I think it would be more bad then good, IMO. But who knows...:unsure:

I feel the same way as you do, Jonbo... I am with you on this one...

As long as they don't "change" their gaming style, then whatever....

TheGame
04-16-2003, 10:48 PM
who would want to merga with Sega? That's like asking to lose money ;) (unless it's EA of course)

Shadow_Link
04-17-2003, 11:09 AM
What's next, Konami merging with Capcom, who will then merge with Nintendo, who will be bought out by Microsoft?!? :eek:

Idiot
04-18-2003, 01:31 PM
....and then they'll all be bought out by Coca-Cola. Oh, mark my words, they will be. Watch.