PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Shows You how to Milk Correctly

BreakABone
04-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Step one, get a hit series that sells on name alone
Step 2, release that series in anything possible
Step 3, laugh as you walk to the Bank
Step 4, repeat the lat two steps again...

Anyhow...

April 14, 2003 - The latest issue of Japan's monthly KoroKoro Comic magazine contains the first screens and details on the GameCube debut of Pokemon. It's not what you think, though. Nintendo is debuting the franchise on the GameCube through Pokemon Box: Ruby & Saphire, a GameCube expansion disk designed to add to your adventures in the Game Boy Advance Ruby & Saphire titles.
To make any use of this software, you must have the GBA entries in the series (we presume just one will do) and a GBA Cable, which allows you to transfer data between the GameCube and GBA. Once you've connected the GBA and GameCube, you can view the abilities of all your Pokemon on the television, organize your Pokemon for quick searching, and arrange little Pokemon Pieces in your favorite settings to show off your collection to your friends. The game can hold up to 1500 Pokemon.

No, this isn't a full game, and Nintendo is practically giving it away. Two versions of Pokemon Box: Ruby & Saphire will be offered in Japan. The first, retailing for 2000 yen ($17) includes the game disk along with a Memory Card 59. The second, retailing for 2800 yen ($24), includes the game disk, the Memory Card 59 and the GBA Cable. The Memory Card included in both packages will feature an original color scheme different from previous Memory Cards.

Both packages will hit Japan on 5/30. No word on an American release for the game, but we'll keep you posted. Look below for some scans from the KoroKoro Comic.

I really don't know the importance of this, but I guess it's something for the Poke-Fanatics, I'm just hoping Nintendo is buying itself time and not just releasing this for no reason.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/393/393563p1.html

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/030414_pokemonbox_in05.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/030414_pokemonbox_in04.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/030414_pokemonbox_in03.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/030414_pokemonbox_in02.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/030414_pokemonbox_in01.jpg

Happydude
04-15-2003, 03:15 PM
aww man...i really wanted to know how to milk :baby:

anyhoo...that sounds pretty cool i guess...but since i'm not into pokemon that much anymore, i don't realy care much for it...but it sounds cool...and thats the main thing! :p

tarakan69
04-15-2003, 03:24 PM
WOW... That's REALLY milking the franchise.

Pokemon is a fad in Europe and America. In Japan on the other hand... it's a well respected franchise like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc. This will sell quiet a lot for what it is.

Crono
04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Is this some kind of joke? Give me a break, Nintendo. They hsouldn't be wasting their time with crap like this.

Ginkasa
04-15-2003, 04:02 PM
So you can just catalogue the Pokemon? There's nothing else new? No new monsters? No 3D animations? Nothing?

I wouldn't have bough it anyway, but it still sucks.

If they actually released a Pokemon game (read: RPG) on the GCN, I might buy it. But nothing like this, even if it had Ruby & Sapphire on it.

*shrugs and walks away*

fingersman
04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Yes, you guys can frown upon this, but this move might sell Gamecubes, although it would sell a whole lot more if they actually released a real Pokemon rpg on the Cube instead of d**king around.

BreakABone
04-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by fingersman
Yes, you guys can frown upon this, but this move might sell Gamecubes, although it would sell a whole lot more if they actually released a real Pokemon rpg on the Cube instead of d**king around.

Well, I actually that was Nintendo's idea behind this whole thing, hence the milking.

I mean it's cheap, it's effective, it makes use of the GBA/GCn connectivty which is something they are big on and it will push some systems not a lot, but some. And if anything, it's probably to make up for their thin line up in Japan atleast that is IMO.

Perfect Stu
04-15-2003, 05:21 PM
More PokeCrap? :mad:

CrOnO_LiNk
04-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Nintendo... Make a new Pokemon game exclusive to Gamecube, with 3D nice ass graphics and something similar to the GBA Pokemons. You want to sell more Gamecubes in Japan? That's all you have to do, not make a copy of this **** for the Cube... (I am not calling Sapphire or Ruby ****, I am calling Nintendo's stupid porting method ****...) damn!

And yes, I am not calling it a port from the GBA games, just a look alike...

Dyne
04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm tired of you guys' incessant bitching about Nintendo, milk this, screw that console, release this, continue that, whatever.

Can you see Nintendo relying on all-new franchises like Pikmin? How did Pikmin turn out? Like crap.

Look at it this way. You're sitting in your office after a successful game was released, in this case, Zelda. Now, do you want to risk all your money on some new game, or go with something people are fimiliar with? Why isn't Bungie working on something else than Halo? Halo recieved good feedback. Why the hell is Konami still making Metal Gear Solid? Why is Polyphonic still making GT? Why is Rockstar still making GTA? Why is Rare still going to make Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, or Conker?

Let's put it this way. Nintendo's still in rehab since the losses of N64, and now, Gamecube. If you're a lemonade stand, and you've been making lemonade for a while, and people like it, and during Fall, your business is much slower than it used to be, are you going to start selling Ice Cream? So, what's this? This is the position Nintendo is in. They need to build back the respect they once had, and the only way to go up is to rely on stuff like Pokemon, because that sells no matter what season.

Or, do you guys recommend they say "Ah, **** it!" And go create some new **** that might turn out like Pikmin?

You make me sick.

BreakABone
04-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Well Dyne, there is a problem with milking, and Nintendo isn't the only company guilty of it, but even if they didn't milk PokeMon this is a friggin joke, I mean it's not even a legit game, it's basically a 3D tropy case for Pokefanatcis or something like that, I mean really what is the point of it? They could have given it away with the system or even PokeMon Ruby n Sapphire.

Dyne
04-15-2003, 07:07 PM
So, you really don't want to spend $20 some bucks on a storage system? It's like buying an e-reader for Animal Crossing. It enhances the experience. People want to get their money's worth...

Perfect Stu
04-15-2003, 07:32 PM
The fact of the matter is that Nintendo is spending a lot of time MILKING the Pokemon franchise. They have been for quite a while, now. If they decide to use the Pokemon name and produce something NEW and FRESH and HIGH QUALITY, then I think everyone would be a little more appreciative. Pokemon Snap, Stadium 1/2, Ruby/Sapphire/Gold/Aqua/SuperMetallicOrange, etc.? Give me a break.

GameMaster
04-15-2003, 07:34 PM
If it was the standard price of a Gamecube game, I'd be upset. I think this "game" is wasteful and it's endangering Pokémon's reputation. I don't need to organize my Pokémon on the Gamecube and reaarange Pokémon pieces, I'm probably GT's biggest Pokémon fan but not to that extent. I'm dissappointed, things like this are what cause the game to lose it's longest running fans.

ZebraRampage
04-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Dyne
I'm tired of you guys' incessant bitching about Nintendo, milk this, screw that console, release this, continue that, whatever.

Can you see Nintendo relying on all-new franchises like Pikmin? How did Pikmin turn out? Like crap.

Look at it this way. You're sitting in your office after a successful game was released, in this case, Zelda. Now, do you want to risk all your money on some new game, or go with something people are fimiliar with? Why isn't Bungie working on something else than Halo? Halo recieved good feedback. Why the hell is Konami still making Metal Gear Solid? Why is Polyphonic still making GT? Why is Rockstar still making GTA? Why is Rare still going to make Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, or Conker?

Let's put it this way. Nintendo's still in rehab since the losses of N64, and now, Gamecube. If you're a lemonade stand, and you've been making lemonade for a while, and people like it, and during Fall, your business is much slower than it used to be, are you going to start selling Ice Cream? So, what's this? This is the position Nintendo is in. They need to build back the respect they once had, and the only way to go up is to rely on stuff like Pokemon, because that sells no matter what season.

Or, do you guys recommend they say "Ah, **** it!" And go create some new **** that might turn out like Pikmin?

You make me sick.
I never looked at it that way, but then again I wasn't complaining. All I can really say is that it sucks that nintendo is in the spot that they're in right now. It looks as though it will be tough for them to come back to how they were during the SNES days.

GameKinG
04-15-2003, 08:21 PM
There a step ahead of me. I dont have a series to milk. *cries*

Canyarion
04-16-2003, 04:59 AM
What if this game lets you trade/transfer PKMN from the older GB games?? If this game is the only way to get all 351 Pokémon.... it will sell like hot babes

fingersman
04-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Pikmin sold over a million and got several awards, I wouldn't consider that crap, although it doesn't have the selling power of GTA or Zelda, it's still a nice game.

GameKinG
04-16-2003, 12:07 PM
From EAD Ninja at GA:

Nintendo will release Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire on May 30th for Nintendo GameCube.

Nintendo will release Kirby's Air Ride this Summer in Japan. The game is described as an air-racing game in which supports up to 4 players simultaneously. Kirby can wear different outfits and use various attacks, as well as picking up powerup items and weapon in the race course

CoroCoro Comic-Magazine will display Nintendo's second Pokemon GameCube title in its next issue. The magazine already unveiled Pokemon Box, and its been stated by Miyamoto his team is working on a Pokemon Stadium: Ruby & Sapphire.

Nintendo Dream promises to unveil a second shocking announcement in its next issue after uncovering Mother 1 & 2.

Epoch announced they are developing a GameCube version of Doraemon, the game will feature 4 players battle, and it is scheduled for a summer release in Japan..

Bad Religion
04-16-2003, 01:45 PM
you tell em' Dyne!

CrOnO_LiNk
04-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Dyne, I bitch for a reason. When my favorite publisher, Nintendo, the same people who made me start playing games, knows how to make games, but doesn't know how to stay in the business, that pisses me off.

I love Nintendo, but they have to know how to hang in there.