PDA

View Full Version : New Cube platformer from Yuji Naka!

Jason1
04-14-2003, 01:11 PM
And its exclusive to the Cube! Im not sure what to think of this, it sounds...strange...but its from sonic team! They know how to do platformers, and im sure this will be damn good.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=4225

or if you're too lazy to click the link...

SEGA UNVEILS "BILLY HATCHER AND THE GIANT EGG" FROM THE CREATOR OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

SAN FRANCISCO - (April 14, 2003) - SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced "Billy Hatcher and the Giant EggTM," a new platform game exclusively for the Nintendo GameCubeTM. "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" is currently in development under the direction of SEGA's renowned Yuji Naka, the creator of SEGA's world-famous Sonic The Hedgehog® series.

The first all-new platform game and character from Yuji Naka and SONICTEAMTM since the SEGA SaturnTM era, "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" is the story of a young boy who must save a once magical kingdom from the clutches an evil King who threatens to rule with an everlasting night. Gamers must learn to use the powers of a legendary suit and control magical eggs to restore light to the kingdom.

A vibrant, lightning-fast 3-D platformer, "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" challenges gamers to hatch dozens of magical creatures from special eggs as they explore themed, carnival-esque environments on their quest to save the kingdom. Playing as Billy Hatcher, players will roll the eggs though the world, using them to solve puzzles, fight enemies, and even ultimately hatch magical creatures that enhance their abilities, adding a unique strategic twist to the fast action.

"'Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg' is pure SONICTEAM magic," said Mike Fischer, vice president of marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "A dizzying blend of fast action, hypnotic gameplay and one-of-a-kind characters, 'Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg' is, without a doubt, the next big thing from the legendary SONICTEAM."

"Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" is slated for release in the U.S. in Fall 2003.

Jonbo298
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
That sounds great. I want to see some screens before giving a judgement on whether a buy is in order.

Dyne
04-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Sonic Team? New? =o~~~~~~~

Sounds really cool. I can't wait for it already! I hope it turns out well for E3.

BreakABone
04-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, the game sounds extremely weird, sort of a mix of Sonic the Hedgehog meets Glover, and I really don't know what to make of it.

But atleast it's something new from them, I guess they ran out of things to port to the Cube.

gekko
04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Can't go wrong with Sonic Team.

PuPPeT
04-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Ok so now you know about the game but does that cut it for you?

No.....

Ok then have some screens! :D

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/supertony/Images/News_Gamecube_Billy_Hatcher_and_the_Giant_Egg_1.jpg

Dyne
04-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Whoa, nice. O_O

It actually looks pretty good.

GamingWorldJoe
04-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Sonic Team's first new platformer since the Saturn? Eh... didn't ST make Sonic Adventure 1 and 2? I could've sworn they did.

tarakan69
04-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Don't worry they made the Sonic games.

I hope this game will be as fasted pasted as Sonic... or more of exploration like Metroid/Castlevania.

BreakABone
04-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GamingWorldJoe
Sonic Team's first new platformer since the Saturn? Eh... didn't ST make Sonic Adventure 1 and 2? I could've sworn they did.

I think they are referring to new as in new from the ground up without any prior characters, worlds or gameplay mechanics.

Jason1
04-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
I think they are referring to new as in new from the ground up without any prior characters, worlds or gameplay mechanics.

Exactly. They are launching an entirely new franchise, with new characters. Not a sequal or prequal or anything like that. Thats what they mean. Its nice to see some screens. Im not exactly floored, but this is sonic team we're talking about, one of the best developers in the world IMO. Its boud to be great.

Clone_GCC
04-18-2003, 11:23 PM
a guy called billy and a gaint egg?

ok....

well that's Japan for ya, very creative and original

Canyarion
04-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Reminds me of what's-he-called and the giant peach.... that Roald Dahl story... :)

If they're putting a playable demo on the demo disc next month, the game should be pretty far in development! :)

GameMaster
04-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Controlling eggs is lame...

Next!

One Winged Angel
04-19-2003, 08:54 PM
that looks neat. too bad I hate platformers...