PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU believe the next gen Nintendo system should be

tarakan69
04-12-2003, 06:25 AM
I want you to tell me what you believe it will offer in features, hardware, and games. If you give it specific features such as HD/DVD writer/Toaster explains why this should be added from a marketing perpective.

Well I believe the next Nintendo consoles should be a pure gaming machine.

It should avoid features such as Hard-Drives, DVD players. The basics would be fine. From my X-Box purchase I have noticed that the Custom Soundtrack feature is not worth the addition of the hard-drive... I used it muliple times but I woulkd rather have the console cost less. As for memory cards... they are just fine. The only people who would actually complain about limited size are sport fans. It's just the advantage of portability.

Now Nintendo SHOULD go for a uique media storage format like they did this gen. I for example cracked my X-Box and buy games for 10 euros, and a number of my friends have their PS2s cracked. With Nintendo's console this would NOT happen because the cost for actually cracking it and pirating are just to great. Although that's one of the many reasons most people don't buy a cube here.

DVD, Blue-Ray... If you don't want piracy then this format MUST BE avoided. As for Hard-Drives... I know other people who have bought 80+ gigabyte hard-drives put the new Enigmah chips (I think) to pass the bios and copy rented games to the HD.

So reasons to avoid those features are great... but another question arises then. If piracy is so widespread then why does Sony make money and sell games. Well obviously that even given the fact it's a wide spread problem there is still a great number of people who choose to buy original games.

Now Nintendo's philosophy has been to make money no matter what... Their bussiness plans make others look like 1st grade homework. They aren't Sony or Microsoft and don't have tons of money to blow... so they managed to adopt to the market pefectly.

NINTENDO SHOULDN'T compete with Sony or Microsoft. They have to carve out a market for themselves. It would be the dumbest thing possible.

For my final thoughts... hardware sales=software sales= money.

So including the ability to play Gameboy Games on the next gen Nintedo consoles would be the eqivelant of of PS2's DVD playing capabilities which sold tons of them.

fingersman
04-12-2003, 08:58 AM
While I agree with the Blue ray DVD....... I don't agree with the limited memory cards.............they are alot of sports fans out there, and pissing them off with small memory cards like Nintendo did early on in this generation is not a good idea
( *coughThegamecough*)
I see nothing wrong with a system having DVD playablity, but like you I don't see the need for a HD, especially since no game developer has really done anything spectacular with it.
If Nintendo builds a good hardware system like this Generation all they have to do is concentrate on is software and third parties and marketing their products right

ANother thing I don't agree with is your equation

"hardware sales=software sales= money"
Nawwwww........it's the other way around

software sales= hardware sales= money

Cause if you don't have good software or any software at all your system's not going to sell, sure because of the name brand it may fly off the shelves but after a couple of months people are going to start returning your stuff.

Another thing Nintendo needs to do is keep the license fees low, market the new system, come out after Sony but don't give them such a big head start, and come out with a killer launch title to boost system sales....look what Mario 64 did for the N64 and look what Halo did for Xbox. ( please no lugi mansion this time)

I love what Nintendo is doing by lending out their franchises to third parties ......and paying for exclusive stuff. Now all they have to do is open up and let gamers know what games are coming and what other 3rd party Devs are developing for them instead of keeping it a secret.

Crono
04-12-2003, 10:52 AM
- A DVD player would be okay, but I would never use it. But if it will help the console's sales, then they may as well add it in.
- HD would be nice, but it depends if it can actually be used for other than just saving memory files.
- Built-in Modem/Ethernet port. I really hope Nintendo decides to have some sort of online plan, something like Xbox Live.

I would be really happy if Nintendo added that into their next system.

Dyne
04-12-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm definitely leaning in the direction of the harddrive. Also, I think using the GBA as a controller is a good idea, like the dreamcast's VMU idea was. It's such a damn good idea; they should definitely implement it.

An online plan for future Animal Crossing/Pokemon Stadium/Harvet Moon-ish type game is a must. It's better to add as you go along, so you can get reactions to your additions. And with a hard drive there would be plenty space.

Jonbo298
04-12-2003, 03:17 PM
I hope Nintendo doesn't put DVD playback ability. I already own a DVD player, and adding this feature is just extra money Nintendo would almost assuredly be wasting by putting it in. If they go with a slightly different format besides Blu-Ray, I hope they up the space and not halve it like they did this Generation.
If they stick with memory cards, the sizes shouldn't be horribly limited. Maybe they could re-think what they were supposed to relase this Gen. with having the upgrade slot on a mem. card where you can insert an SD card. Or Nintendo could just make their own and maybe that would be cheaper?:unsure:
I'm not a big fan of HD's built in to a console. They should just make it an add-on like Sony has/is going to whenever they get off their ass and release it in the US/Europe. Since the next console won't come out for a few years, by then prices of the "smaller" HD's should be very cheap to make and shouldn't cost too much to give to the public.
Nintendo should and hopefully will most likely put a built in Ethernet Port and possibly a 56K V.92 Port (or whatever new "thing" comes out by then).
*Edit* (Thanks for reminding me GameMaster:D) Built in receivers with Wireless play all the time. And use the same power source as teh GBA SP does. (Lithium something...) Since I just heard that the new battery Nintendo will release for the SP in Japan will have something like 17 hours with the light on, you could possibly go for months without having to charge the "Wavebird 2"

GameMaster
04-12-2003, 03:25 PM
I would like for the next Nintendo machine to have built in control receivers so that wireless play is standard on all machines.

I would also like it to retain it's small size. I love how small and compact the Gamecube is in respect to PS2 and X-Box.

Stonecutter
04-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tarakan69

1)Well I believe the next Nintendo consoles should be a pure gaming machine.

2)It should avoid features such as Hard-Drives, DVD players. The basics would be fine. From my X-Box purchase I have noticed that the Custom Soundtrack feature is not worth the addition of the hard-drive... I used it muliple times but 3) I woulkd rather have the console cost less. As for memory cards... they are just fine. The only people who would actually complain about limited size are sport fans. 4) It's just the advantage of portability.

5)Now Nintendo SHOULD go for a uique media storage format like they did this gen. I for example cracked my X-Box and buy games for 10 euros, and a number of my friends have their PS2s cracked. With Nintendo's console this would NOT happen because the cost for actually cracking it and pirating are just to great. Although that's one of the many reasons most people don't buy a cube here.

DVD, Blue-Ray... If you don't want piracy then this format MUST BE avoided. As for Hard-Drives... I know other people who have bought 80+ gigabyte hard-drives put the new Enigmah chips (I think) to pass the bios and copy rented games to the HD.

So reasons to avoid those features are great... but another question arises then. If piracy is so widespread then why does Sony make money and sell games. Well obviously that even given the fact it's a wide spread problem there is still a great number of people who choose to buy original games.

Now Nintendo's philosophy has been to make money no matter what... Their bussiness plans make others look like 1st grade homework. They aren't Sony or Microsoft and don't have tons of money to blow... so they managed to adopt to the market pefectly.

NINTENDO SHOULDN'T compete with Sony or Microsoft. They have to carve out a market for themselves. It would be the dumbest thing possible.

For my final thoughts... hardware sales=software sales= money.

So including the ability to play Gameboy Games on the next gen Nintedo consoles would be the eqivelant of of PS2's DVD playing capabilities which sold tons of them.

These are a bit harsh, don't take it personally.

1) BZZZZZZZZ WRONG! that didn't work this time, it sure as hell isn't going to work next time.

2) *COUGH*FANBOY*COUGH Custom Soundtrak is one of the biggest things I look for when buying a game. I am more likely to buy games with coustom soundtrak. By the next generation EVERY GAME should have this feature. YES that includes RPGS.

"Oh, but they have their own music that fits the game it's part of the atmosphere"

Sit down, shut up, quit yer bitching. See you've got to understand not everyone likes J-Pop, I know, it might be shocking but it's true. Once you beat a game, you're not playing it for the atmosphere, I'd much rather have the option.

3)The hard drive's cost is offset by the use of memory cards. MC59's were 15$, MC256 or whatever it is are what? 20? 30? I think they were 30 when they came out. If you have to buy another mc59 with every 2k3 or madden you buy, that's going to cancel out that extra 100$ awfuly quick.

Sports fans are the only one's who complain? I don't even own a sports game for the cube (Sega soccer slam doesn't count because it's not as stat heavy) and I filled up a 59 quickly. Rentals can fill up tons of spots.

4) Uh, I have a hard drive on my xbox, and I use memory cards to take data over to my friends houses. You can have both.

5) Dumb, just dumb gcn is the only system that requires multiple disc games and that's because nintendo dropped the ball bigtime. This next system had better use actual dvds or a better format.

Since the rest of your post deals with illegal activities, few of which are widespread, I consider it a moot point and I will not address it

Plain and simple. I am getting sick of the nintendo bullshit I have stuck with them since NES, but if they don't get their act together and actually listen to what we want rather than forcing what they think we should want on us, I'm gone.

fingersman
04-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Stonecutter
These are a bit harsh, don't take it personally.

1) BZZZZZZZZ WRONG! that didn't work this time, it sure as hell isn't going to work next time.

2) *COUGH*FANBOY*COUGH Custom Soundtrak is one of the biggest things I look for when buying a game. I am more likely to buy games with coustom soundtrak. By the next generation EVERY GAME should have this feature. YES that includes RPGS.

"Oh, but they have their own music that fits the game it's part of the atmosphere"

Sit down, shut up, quit yer bitching. See you've got to understand not everyone likes J-Pop, I know, it might be shocking but it's true. Once you beat a game, you're not playing it for the atmosphere, I'd much rather have the option.

3)The hard drive's cost is offset by the use of memory cards. MC59's were 15$, MC256 or whatever it is are what? 20? 30? I think they were 30 when they came out. If you have to buy another mc59 with every 2k3 or madden you buy, that's going to cancel out that extra 100$ awfuly quick.

Sports fans are the only one's who complain? I don't even own a sports game for the cube (Sega soccer slam doesn't count because it's not as stat heavy) and I filled up a 59 quickly. Rentals can fill up tons of spots.

4) Uh, I have a hard drive on my xbox, and I use memory cards to take data over to my friends houses. You can have both.

5) Dumb, just dumb gcn is the only system that requires multiple disc games and that's because nintendo dropped the ball bigtime. This next system had better use actual dvds or a better format.

Since the rest of your post deals with illegal activities, few of which are widespread, I consider it a moot point and I will not address it

Plain and simple. I am getting sick of the nintendo bullshit I have stuck with them since NES, but if they don't get their act together and actually listen to what we want rather than forcing what they think we should want on us, I'm gone.

Well someone is a little bitter at Nintendo. ;)

Stonecutter
04-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I am, but really, prove me wrong. Everything in there is true.

tarakan69
04-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Well if YOU WANT an intertanment hub... just don't get a Nintendo console. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Producing a machine which will compete with PS3/X-Box 2 on the feature level would be EXCEPTIONALLY dumb.

As for HD... if Nintendo isn't going to push online with full force it's hardly necessary. Next gen memory cards should provide Nintendo's next console with plenty of space. (32 about megabytes not enough??)

As for not supporting DVD or Blue-ray standards... I explained it by piracy. If you think it's not widespread then you should look around.

So what Stonecutter wants is a system (clone of PS3/X-Box 2 feature wise) to go heaad to head with Microsft and Sony??

If Nintendo adopted that theory this gen they would have already called quits since they wouldn't make a profit on thier console.

As for DVD playing feature... Next gen it WON'T matter. It's like buying a PS2 for it's ability to play music CDs.

Stonecutter
04-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Well if YOU WANT an intertanment hub... just don't get a Nintendo console. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Producing a machine which will compete with PS3/X-Box 2 on the feature level would be EXCEPTIONALLY dumb.

As for HD... if Nintendo isn't going to push online with full force it's hardly necessary. Next gen memory cards should provide Nintendo's next console with plenty of space. (32 about megabytes not enough??)

As for not supporting DVD or Blue-ray standards... I explained it by piracy. If you think it's not widespread then you should look around.

So what Stonecutter wants is a system (clone of PS3/X-Box 2 feature wise) to go heaad to head with Microsft and Sony??

If Nintendo adopted that theory this gen they would have already called quits since they wouldn't make a profit on thier console.

As for DVD playing feature... Next gen it WON'T matter. It's like buying a PS2 for it's ability to play music CDs.

VB tags are so annoying to type, I'm not going to chop this up.

So this is paragraph by paragraph.

1) You honestly don't think some of the biggest selling points of xbox and ps2 are their extra features? I don't care about the entertainment hub but lots of people do. Lots of people buy the xbox and ps2 because of the dvd?

2) Look at Xbox Live. You don't think that's going to be the standard by next generation? :lol: Take a look, no one said Live would be able to succeed with a broadband only service but it's doing way better than PS2 online. Live is the new standard.

3) I don't care if everyone you know is pirating software, 90% of the people who buy video games do not have the knowledge to do it of the 10% mabye half do it. It's not widespread, it's a very minor problem.

4-5) If nintendo would have tried to go head to head they would have aready have lost because they didn't make a profit :rolleyes: If you belive that, you're a moron. In this case the point of whether it would have been postive or negitive is 100% moot. The point is that the system would not have been worse off for having these features? You care to explain yourself with this one, because it really sounds like you're talking out of your ass.

6) PFFT. You do realize that's apples to oranges don't you. The ps1 was never ment to be a cd player. It just so happens that it could play cd's, obviously it's not a feature on the ps2, it just CAN play cds. What good is a cd player that occupies your tv screen when it's in use? A dvd by its very nature is ment to be used in conjunction with a tv. While ture that the dvd will not be as prominant a feature in the next generation it will still be a poplualr feature.

Null
04-12-2003, 10:08 PM
6) PFFT. You do realize that's apples to oranges don't you. The ps1 was never ment to be a cd player. It just so happens that it could play cd's, obviously it's not a feature on the ps2, it just CAN play cds.

not sure what you mean by that... I hope you dont mean that it just so happens to be a coinsadence that it can play CD's.

it was made to play CD's. thats why it has CD player options in it. and basically its own on screen CD player. it doenst just HAPPEn to be there. they ptu it in there to play CD's.

if ya mean something else by it. please say so. i t just sounds like you think they didnt mean to put a CD player in them.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Download that and you'll see what I want. That's an awesome design.

I just want Nintendo to have more third party support, more RPG development (Camelot, Ape, and SquareEnix...), and damn it, more advertising!

Nintendo Nexus. I know it's fake, but it looks awesome.

Stonecutter
04-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Null
not sure what you mean by that... I hope you dont mean that it just so happens to be a coinsadence that it can play CD's.

it was made to play CD's. thats why it has CD player options in it. and basically its own on screen CD player. it doenst just HAPPEn to be there. they ptu it in there to play CD's.

if ya mean something else by it. please say so. i t just sounds like you think they didnt mean to put a CD player in them.

What I mean is.

The CD player in the ps1 isn't a selling point. It's there, it's a feature, but no one bought a ps1 to play cds.

Many, many people (including a ton of people in japan) bought a ps2 simply because it was a cheap dvd player (299$ was a good price back in october 2000) The ps2 and xbox were designd to be dvd players as well as game systems, the ps1 was a game system that sony decided to put a cd player into because it's a fun little toy.

bobcat
04-12-2003, 10:34 PM

1) You honestly don't think some of the biggest selling points of xbox and ps2 are their extra features? I don't care about the entertainment hub but lots of people do. Lots of people buy the xbox and ps2 because of the dvd?
at the time of the official ps2 release.....of course. Nowadays not really. Didn't you read all the headlines of the software:hardware ratio for Ps2? Many consoles sold, not enough s/w sales due to people wanting a cheap DVD player (and a console). I think there was a popular DVD that people were picking up @ the Ps2 launch (Matrix?) Not sure.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
at the time of the official ps2 release.....of course. Nowadays not really. Didn't you read all the headlines of the software:hardware ratio for Ps2? Many consoles sold, not enough s/w sales due to people wanting a cheap DVD player (and a console). I think there was a popular DVD that people were picking up @ the Ps2 launch (Matrix?) Not sure. [/B]

Well, here in LA, some of my friends bought a Xbox just for the hardware (Yes, they are stupid for doing that, and they are not into games at all). Sure, they bought a game (Halo), but a year has passed and they haven't played a single game on their Xbox. What a waste of owning a console...

But as much as I hate to admit it, Nintendo's image sucks, and it sucks bad! When people who aren't into games hear the word Nintendo, their first toughts are kids playing colorful video games... I get annoyed by that, but people have bad taste, and Nintendo keeps screwing themselves over with **** like "Clean is better than dirty" to make their image twenty times worse...

I am a hardcore Nintendo fan, I respect Miyamoto for his great work, but damn, I have to admit, most of the time, they act like 100% morons. If they were smart, they would fight in with rival companies such as Sony and Microsoft.

Just an advice for Nintendo, make your commercials funny, cool, and a bit sexy (sexy as in the Europe GBA:SP ads..). That's how you sell, not with a bunch of homosexual puppets holding hands and singing. I don't know about you guys, but I wanted Kingdom hearts badly before it released, and once I saw its awesome commercial, I wanted it even more.

TheGame
04-13-2003, 04:50 AM
*slowly steps into thread*

lol Stonecutter reminds me of someone, can't put my finger on it...

anyway,

I think Nintendo shouldn't make a system, they should merge with Microsoft, help them with the controler, and leave all the hardware alone. Just concentrate on what they are good at, games.

As for Xbox 2, I say keep doing what they do, Keep Xbox Live running strong, keep the built in hard drive, and the memory cards... maybe there should be a clock added to the system (one that works if the system is plugged in or not).

Keep dropping bones for third party support, keep the development as painless as possible... and release at the same time as Sony.

but

If my lil Merge doesn't happen :(

Methinks Nintendo should add enough cool exclusive hardware features to warrant a purchase of the hardware over other consoles hardware alone... then the games should well, I dunno what more Nintendo can do, they sold one of my favorite developers to M$, and lost support from one of my favorite developers on WWE games.

I guess Nintendo should start living in the past more often, much like the free disk with WW, start pumping out games w/ free N64 games. Maybe even toss on free pokemon games.... The two biggest things I would like to see is a Mario All Stars 2 game with all the N64 games with "Mario" on it (64, Tennis, Paper, etc)... and plenty of game digitaly remasterd... like OoT and Pokemon Red/Blue.

Personaly, I would like to see Nintendo still release it's console a year later, just to add to the freshness of it, and to seperate it. This gen Xbox ruined Nintendo by moving mosto fhte competition to that next year, but if next time Nintendo has the stand alone strongest newest console it will help.

But I dunno, I still say they need to drop out :)

-EDIT-

Oh, and how could I forget, Nintendo should ditch the small Memory cards... either get WAY bigger ones, or get an HD, anything is better than those crap memory cards.

tarakan69
04-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by TheGame
I think Nintendo shouldn't make a system, they should merge with Microsoft, help them with the controler, and leave all the hardware alone. Just concentrate on what they are good at, games.

Well as long as they are making a profit... They WON'T leave the bussiness. Also WHY leave the console bussiness? Because Microsft is so desperate for userbase that it's already lost aroubd 2 billion on the X-Box.

Next gen Microsoft WILL want profit... So don't expect the X-Box 2 to just as generous on the hardware level, and they sure as hell won't blow away as much money.

2) Look at Xbox Live. You don't think that's going to be the standard by next generation? :lol: Take a look, no one said Live would be able to succeed with a broadband only service but it's doing way better than PS2 online. Live is the new standard.

3) I don't care if everyone you know is pirating software, 90% of the people who buy video games do not have the knowledge to do it of the 10% mabye half do it. It's not widespread, it's a very minor problem.

4-5) If nintendo would have tried to go head to head they would have aready have lost because they didn't make a profit :rolleyes: If you belive that, you're a moron. In this case the point of whether it would have been postive or negitive is 100% moot. The point is that the system would not have been worse off for having these features? You care to explain yourself with this one, because it really sounds like you're talking out of your ass.

6) PFFT. You do realize that's apples to oranges don't you. The ps1 was never ment to be a cd player. It just so happens that it could play cd's, obviously it's not a feature on the ps2, it just CAN play cds. What good is a cd player that occupies your tv screen when it's in use? A dvd by its very nature is ment to be used in conjunction with a tv. While ture that the dvd will not be as prominant a feature in the next generation it will still be a poplualr feature.

1. I bought the X-Box because it had HD. So did MANY of the people I know. Well after having experienced the presence of an HD in a console you can I have realized that it offers hardly ANY inovvation. Faster loading times??? GOD mini optical discs used by the GCN are faster, because even with a lower transfer rate they don't can to first copying the textures to the HD.

Also the PS2... think of MGS2. BEAUTIFUL graphics... and 3 second loading times. Let's not forget that the PS2 was selling on the fact it could play DVDs even 2 years after launch so don't give me that crap that features don't sell a system... Of course you pay for them.

2. Maybe live is a new standard for consoles... but I have been playing online with PCs from 96 or 97 (Diablo). t's not really a great experience. The only games worth playing online are RPGs, and MMORPGS. Racing games, shooters... all are extremely lag and get boring. LAN play I can understand because you play against friends and not some moron 1000 Kilometres away from you who swear your mother.

All those people who say Nintendo must o online blah blah blah... are all hypocrits. If Mario Kart online was released I BET not more than 25% of the people screaming that it should have gone online would actually even play it.

3.So?? 10%?? In europe at least 25% of console owners play piracy games. I for example bought 5 original X-Box games before I started to get piracy games. Ask bobcat if you want a confirmation. Last gen in Europe there were 30-40% more consoles sold than in Japan but miracuolisly Europe had sold LESS software.

4-5. Talking out of my ass?? When you have 3 consoles WITH identical features they ALL compete for the same consumer.

Nintendo because of it's more or less unique stance, has carved out it's own market. Maybe it be children, people who want a pure gaming console. They did developed a certain branch of the market were they alone are kings even if it's small. Why should it change it's bussiness model? Can they afford to wait until they sell 20+ million consoles to make a profit? Sure they can always fall back on the GBA but everybody is in it for the MONEY. Microsoft will drop the X-Box if doesn't start making money next gen.

6. When I said that adding a DVD feature to Nintendo's next gen console would act as much as of a killer ap as the PS2's CD playing abilites. Meaning it's null. By the time the next Nintendo console comes out DVD playing capabilities won't sell consoles. So why pay for the license, increased piracy, and possibly a standard LESS fit for a gaming machine.

So basicly you want Nintendo to do things like MS or Sony. It ain't happening... You'll be getting a pure gaming console... if you want a damn PC substituite that allows you to edit photos, rip music, just get a damn PC.

It's not the evolution of consoles... Consoles are for you to put in a disc and play. All the features are just bells and whistles that don't enchant gameplay. They are added, so the console appeals to a wider range of people... like PC gamers, movie fans, and family. Is it a bad thing?? NO... Do I like?? I did when in the beggining of this gen... and all this turned out to be pretty useless.

Nintendo should go for basics... It's their best shot to make them stand out from their competion. If you want features fine... but if any of this feature take away at least 1% away from the gameplay because developers consentrated on them then you are not a real gamer.

Stonecutter
04-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Well as long as they are making a profit... They WON'T leave the bussiness. Also WHY leave the console bussiness? Because Microsft is so desperate for userbase that it's already lost aroubd 2 billion on the X-Box.

2 billion? now you are talking out of your ass. 2 billion people on earth still don't even have electricty maybe MAYBE 1.5 billion people on the entire planet can even afford/have the ability/ to play video games

Next gen Microsoft WILL want profit... So don't expect the X-Box 2 to just as generous on the hardware level, and they sure as hell won't blow away as much money.

you said earlier that software sales= money, that's about the only thing you have said that proves you have any intellegece what so ever. So long as ms can sell games they can afford to lose money on the actual box.

1. I bought the X-Box because it had HD.

way to **** over your own arguement, good job

I have realized that it offers hardly ANY inovvation. Faster loading times??? GOD mini optical discs used by the GCN are faster, because even with a lower transfer rate they don't can to first copying the textures to the HD.

Right, because there's going to be a whole lot of innovation in 18 months. Give people a chance to utalize the technology before you set it aside

AND of course the mini discs will be faster loads, guess what The HD still dramaticly increases the load times for the xbox

Also the PS2... think of MGS2. BEAUTIFUL graphics... and 3 second loading times.

so.......just because one game can look good and load fast with a hard drive that means that we should not even bother with a hard drive? That's like saying just because a good sterio can sound comparable to 5.1 we shouldn't build anything with more than two speakers

Let's not forget that the PS2 was selling on the fact it could play DVDs even 2 years after launch so don't give me that crap that features don't sell a system... Of course you pay for them.

You idiot, that was my point not your point. You're the one that said dvd's wouldn't make that big of an impact in the next system, you're also the one that said a harddrive wouln't sell a saystem.

2. Maybe live is a new standard for consoles... but I have been playing online with PCs from 96 or 97 (Diablo). t's not really a great experience.

If it's such a bad experence why have you been doing it for 7 years?

The only games worth playing online are RPGs, and MMORPGS. Racing games, shooters... all are extremely lag and get boring.

That's your OPNION. If you ask most people what their favortie online game is you're going to hear "Counterstrike" or "battlefield 1942" most of the time. I can back those two games up with numbers.

LAN play I can understand because you play against friends and not some moron 1000 Kilometres away from you who swear your mother.

....That is true, even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then

All those people who say Nintendo must o online blah blah blah... are all hypocrits. If Mario Kart online was released I BET not more than 25% of the people screaming that it should have gone online would actually even play it.

3.So?? 10%?? In europe at least 25% of console owners play piracy games. I for example bought 5 original X-Box games before I started to get piracy games. Ask bobcat if you want a confirmation. Last gen in Europe there were 30-40% more consoles sold than in Japan but miracuolisly Europe had sold LESS software.

So piracy is large in europe, it's the 3rd largest market, behind NA and japan. The money lost will be offset by the money made from having those featues avaliable in the other two markets.

4-5. Talking out of my ass?? When you have 3 consoles WITH identical features they ALL compete for the same consumer.

Well, dispite the fact that your comment doesn't answer where your words are coming from I'll still address your point, because I'm a nice guy.

While it's true that nintendo wouldn't TARGET other audiences specifically they still get that audience by the fact that "nintendo" is stamped on the console. The demographic that nintendo is targeting right now is not going to buy as many games as the demographics that sony and ms target

Nintendo because of it's more or less unique stance, has carved out it's own market. Maybe it be children, people who want a pure gaming console. They did developed a certain branch of the market were they alone are kings even if it's small. Why should it change it's bussiness model? Can they afford to wait until they sell 20+ million consoles to make a profit? Sure they can always fall back on the GBA but everybody is in it for the MONEY. Microsoft will drop the X-Box if doesn't start making money next gen.

6. When I said that adding a DVD feature to Nintendo's next gen console would act as much as of a killer ap as the PS2's CD playing abilites. Meaning it's null. By the time the next Nintendo console comes out DVD playing capabilities won't sell consoles. So why pay for the license, increased piracy, and possibly a standard LESS fit for a gaming machine.

I won't dispute the fact that if it's a less fitting standard it should go, but even the next standard will have other multimedia aspects to it, those should be utalized.

So basicly you want Nintendo to do things like MS or Sony. It ain't happening... You'll be getting a pure gaming console... if you want a damn PC substituite that allows you to edit photos, rip music, just get a damn PC.

It's not the evolution of consoles... Consoles are for you to put in a disc and play. All the features are just bells and whistles that don't enchant gameplay.

Do you not enve realize the irony of your own statement? "Put a disc in and play"

A disc? Why consoles use cartrages, not discs.................oh wait, that would be the evolution of consoles enhancing gameplay

They are added, so the console appeals to a wider range of people... like PC gamers, movie fans, and family. Is it a bad thing?? NO... Do I like?? I did when in the beggining of this gen... and all this turned out to be pretty useless.

So nintendo shouldn't try to appeal to a wider range of people?

Nintendo should go for basics... It's their best shot to make them stand out from their competion.

Stand out from it's competion by being an inferior product?

If you want features fine... but if any of this feature take away at least 1% away from the gameplay because developers consentrated on them then you are not a real gamer.

Developers are going to continue to **** gamers over. Some of them care, some of them don't. A good developer is always going to use the hardware to it's fullest to make sure the gaming experence is enhanced.

....I'm beginning to think this guy is dazzybee reincarnate.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-13-2003, 02:51 PM
....I'm beginning to think this guy is dazzybee reincarnate.

Heh, the good old days, Stoney... He does act like him........

tarakan69
04-13-2003, 03:16 PM
2 billion? now you are talking out of your ass. 2 billion people on earth still don't even have electricty maybe MAYBE 1.5 billion people on the entire planet can even afford/have the ability/ to play video games

-Moron... I'm saying they LOST 2 billion DOLLARS on the X-Box project till now. Learn how to read.

you said earlier that software sales= money, that's about the only thing you have said that proves you have any intellegece what so ever. So long as ms can sell games they can afford to lose money on the actual box.

-Well of course they'll make money if they sell games. But not when they are throughing around THIS MUCH money. The hit they take per X-Box/Marketing/bundles/ price drops isn't compensated by the selling of games; fact stands they are still losing moen which won't be made up for this gen

-Well it WAS a deciding factor you know. Just like the comfortabilty of the controller.

Right, because there's going to be a whole lot of innovation in 18 months. Give people a chance to utalize the technology before you set it aside

-Really and what inovattion do you exactly forsee??

AND of course the mini discs will be faster loads, guess what The HD still dramaticly increases the load times for the xbox

Also the PS2... think of MGS2. BEAUTIFUL graphics... and 3 second loading times.

so.......just because one game can look good and load fast with a hard drive that means that we should not even bother with a hard drive? That's like saying just because a good sterio can sound comparable to 5.1 we shouldn't build anything with more than two speakers

Well if you can show me how the presence of the HD boosts gameplay then I'll give you a cookie on this one.

Let's not forget that the PS2 was selling on the fact it could play DVDs even 2 years after launch so don't give me that crap that features don't sell a system... Of course you pay for them.

You idiot, that was my point not your point. You're the one that said dvd's wouldn't make that big of an impact in the next system, you're also the one that said a harddrive wouln't sell a saystem.

-***got. HD and DVDs did sell the system this GEN. How the hell is a DVD feature going to boost sales when a DVD player will be as common as a damn TV when the next gen approaches. I said that the HD was a deciding factor when I was buying the X-Box... until I actually saw that it had nearly no advatages to add to the console.

2. Maybe live is a new standard for consoles... but I have been playing online with PCs from 96 or 97 (Diablo). t's not really a great experience.

-Because they all been a bit deeper than Moto GP, NHL Fever and other games that hardly improve the gameplay when played online. The only games that are worth playing online are the ones with depth... like True Fantasy Live

The only games worth playing online are RPGs, and MMORPGS. Racing games, shooters... all are extremely lag and get boring.

That's your OPNION. If you ask most people what their favortie online game is you're going to hear "Counterstrike" or "battlefield 1942" most of the time. I can back those two games up with numbers.
- I love Counter-Strike... it's VERY addictive... when played at an internet cafe with freinds that is. Playing against a moron that's 1000 kilometeres away ain't exactly fun.

LAN play I can understand because you play against friends and not some moron 1000 Kilometres away from you who swear your mother.

So piracy is large in europe, it's the 3rd largest market, behind NA and japan. The money lost will be offset by the money made from having those featues avaliable in the other two markets.

-Fact is... LAST GEN Europe sold something like 40% more consoles. So it's surpassed Japan in market size. So tell me the world's second largest market doesn't matter.

Well, dispite the fact that your comment doesn't answer where your words are coming from I'll still address your point, because I'm a nice guy.

While it's true that nintendo wouldn't TARGET other audiences specifically they still get that audience by the fact that "nintendo" is stamped on the console. The demographic that nintendo is targeting right now is not going to buy as many games as the demographics that sony and ms target

I won't dispute the fact that if it's a less fitting standard it should go, but even the next standard will have other multimedia aspects to it, those should be utalized.

It's not the evolution of consoles... Consoles are for you to put in a disc and play. All the features are just bells and whistles that don't enchant gameplay.

Do you not enve realize the irony of your own statement? "Put a disc in and play"

A disc? Why consoles use cartrages, not discs.................oh wait, that would be the evolution of consoles enhancing gameplay

They are added, so the console appeals to a wider range of people... like PC gamers, movie fans, and family. Is it a bad thing?? NO... Do I like?? I did when in the beggining of this gen... and all this turned out to be pretty useless.

-Yes they should but not at the expense of profit. They make less money even if they have a greater userbase.

Nintendo should go for basics... It's their best shot to make them stand out from their competion.

"Stand out from it's competion by being an inferior product?"

Different Doesn't mean different.
If you want features fine... but if any of this feature take away at least 1% away from the gameplay because developers consentrated on them then you are not a real gamer.

"Developers are going to continue to **** gamers over. Some of them care, some of them don't. A good developer is always going to use the hardware to it's fullest to make sure the gaming experence is enhanced."

-This is too debatable. If a developer is rushed... and has to meet a dead line. Like Halo... adding features would simply kill part of the refinement and gameplay.

Rndm_Perfection
04-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
Download that and you'll see what I want. That's an awesome design.

I just want Nintendo to have more third party support, more RPG development (Camelot, Ape, and SquareEnix...), and damn it, more advertising!

Nintendo Nexus. I know it's fake, but it looks awesome.

Now, if the Next-Gen Nintendo looked a bit like that, I'd have to consider actually buying one.

To get my buy, I'd hope that the next-gen Nintedo console could play GBA games, has a standard wireless controller, could actually play DVD (no more mini disks... ), has a wider range of games (i.e. PS2), and even have the soundtrack option. However, it'd be very helpful to get some songs offline via some sort of file sharing program (even though that's not too legal, heh). Hmmm, it'd be nice to listen KMFDM whilst playing a few games.

Sure, I'm a dreamer... but that'd be a nice system.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Rndm_Perfection
Now, if the Next-Gen Nintendo looked a bit like that, I'd have to consider actually buying one.

To get my buy, I'd hope that the next-gen Nintedo console could play GBA games, has a standard wireless controller, could actually play DVD (no more mini disks... ), has a wider range of games (i.e. PS2), and even have the soundtrack option. However, it'd be very helpful to get some songs offline via some sort of file sharing program (even though that's not too legal, heh). Hmmm, it'd be nice to listen KMFDM whilst playing a few games.

Sure, I'm a dreamer... but that'd be a nice system.

The future of video games, it can happen. And I am pretty sure it will be able to play Gameboy Advance games in the near future.... Well, I am sure you've heard of the Gamecube Gameboy Player, where you play GBA games on your Gamecube, so what I am guessing is Nintendo will compile all their accessories such as Network adapters, the Gamecube Gameboy player, the LCD monitor, and the wavebird to make those officially "come with the system".

... I hope.

And yeah, I hope the next Gameboy they make in the future are mini-cd's (that's amazingly good for a handheld), so people will stop downloading roms and screwing over companies.

I mean, honestly, I don't mind people downloading and playing SNES, N64, or genesis roms, but those are all dead systems, but the GBA is still going and it's going well, downloading roms just screws with the industry.

TheGame
04-13-2003, 07:10 PM

MS has not lost 2 billion on Xbox, where have you heard such a BS number?

No... you obviously dont know what you are talking about. MS isn't going to try to make a profit until they know they can w/o the risk of being pushed out of the game industry all-together. MS could try for a profit right now, but they don't and probably will never need it.

In other words, MS will most likely do with Xbox 2, 3, 4, 5, etc exactly what they do with Xbox as long as they feel their grip is getting stronger with each try. And if they become like Sony, then they can spend just like they do on XBox today, and still pull a profit.

But either way, you statement may be true, because why would they want what they simply don't need at this point?

TheGame
04-13-2003, 07:16 PM

-Moron... I'm saying they LOST 2 billion DOLLARS on the X-Box project till now. Learn how to read.

-Well of course they'll make money if they sell games. But not when they are throughing around THIS MUCH money. The hit they take per X-Box/Marketing/bundles/ price drops isn't compensated by the selling of games; fact stands they are still losing moen which won't be made up for this gen

-Well it WAS a deciding factor you know. Just like the comfortabilty of the controller.

-Really and what inovattion do you exactly forsee??

Well if you can show me how the presence of the HD boosts gameplay then I'll give you a cookie on this one.

-***got. HD and DVDs did sell the system this GEN. How the hell is a DVD feature going to boost sales when a DVD player will be as common as a damn TV when the next gen approaches. I said that the HD was a deciding factor when I was buying the X-Box... until I actually saw that it had nearly no advatages to add to the console.

-Because they all been a bit deeper than Moto GP, NHL Fever and other games that hardly improve the gameplay when played online. The only games that are worth playing online are the ones with depth... like True Fantasy Live

- I love Counter-Strike... it's VERY addictive... when played at an internet cafe with freinds that is. Playing against a moron that's 1000 kilometeres away ain't exactly fun.

-Fact is... LAST GEN Europe sold something like 40% more consoles. So it's surpassed Japan in market size. So tell me the world's second largest market doesn't matter.

-Yes they should but not at the expense of profit. They make less money even if they have a greater userbase.

"Stand out from it's competion by being an inferior product?"

Different Doesn't mean different.

"Developers are going to continue to **** gamers over. Some of them care, some of them don't. A good developer is always going to use the hardware to it's fullest to make sure the gaming experence is enhanced."

-This is too debatable. If a developer is rushed... and has to meet a dead line. Like Halo... adding features would simply kill part of the refinement and gameplay.

please learn how to quote, because this post was confusing as hell

Stonecutter
04-13-2003, 07:35 PM

Learn how to read? Learning proper grammer shithead. "....microsoft is so desperate for userbase that it's already lost aroubd [sic] 2 billion on the X-Box [sic]

2 billion what? You didnt say dollars, it's quite easy to read that as 2 billion users.

....who knows where you got the number 2 billion, not from anything official no doubt.

Either way, I'm done. It's quite obvious to anyone who's read this that you are a complete moron. You've changed your arguement so many times it's ceased to be funny and then you go and call me a ***got. You want to call me names that's fine but using the word *** is about the same as using the word nigger. I'll leave this thread knowing you're not only a dumbass but also a biggot. Good Job!