PDA

View Full Version : Conclusive Worldwide Xbox and Gamecube Sales Numbers

Heyyoudvd
04-10-2003, 12:45 AM
I posted this at the IGN boards, and figured I'd post it here for the hell of it. :D

"I've heard a lot of numbers thrown around, and have heard many arguments over which consoles has sold more worldwide, between the Xbox and the Gamecube.

Well, I found some articles that prove once and for all which console is currently in 2nd place worldwide. I know a lot of people don't care about sales numbers, but I figure that if I post the numbers, then it'll finally end all the bickering.

Anyways, a few days ago, the number '5.6 million' Gamecubes sold to date had been going around a lot. Well, it turns out that this is the number sold worldwide in the Fiscal Year ending March 31st, 2003.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aE00U63dING0&refer=asia

Well, what about last year?

Well, it turns out that in the last fiscal year (ending March 31st, 2002), Gamecube had sold 3.8 million consoles worldwide.
http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=5302002-92929

Well, if you do the math, that means that from its initial release to March 31st, 2003, the Nintendo Gamecube has sold a grand total of 9.4 million consoles worldwide.

Now you'll ask, what about Xbox?

Well, I don't have exact figures, however,we do have a good idea of the range.

A couple months ago, Microsoft announced that it had sold 8 million Xboxes worldwide.
http://news.com.com/2100-1006-983593.html

Plus, as you can see from the first link I posted from Bloomberg, Microsoft expects to have sold 9 million Xbox by June 30th, 2003.

So, it had reached 8 million in Mid February and expects to reach 9 million by the end of June. That's a 4.5 month span. Let's use the arbitrary date of the end of Marc, since that's what we're using for Nintendo. So, of those 4.5 months, that would be about 1.5 month (mid February to the end of March). Thus, if Xbox sold at a fairly stable rate throughout those months, that means that it will have sold approximately 8.3 million consoles worldwide (give or take 100K, I'd say).

So all in all, we can now conclude that from their releases in 2001 until March 31st, 2003, the worldwide sales number of each of these 2 consoles are:

Nintendo GAMECUBE - 9.4 million
Microsoft XBOX - 8.3 million

(PS2 is still kicking both their asses combined in sales numbers, but that's another story)"

Stonecutter
04-10-2003, 01:24 AM
And we should care because.......?

TheGame
04-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Xbox has sold 8 million more than it sold last generation, and NGC so far is 40 million shy ;)

Ok, I'll stop trying to turn a positive into a negitive... but it's just so damn fun :D

CrOnO_LiNk
04-10-2003, 02:26 AM
PS2 is only 20 billion ahead...

Dyne
04-10-2003, 12:10 PM
AHA BOND! YOOOUUU LOOOSSEE!!! I TOLD YOU GCN WAS SECOND WORDLWIDE.

:p

Idiot
04-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Passions are running high they seem......

Blix
04-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Dyne
AHA BOND! YOOOUUU LOOOSSEE!!! I TOLD YOU GCN WAS SECOND WORDLWIDE.

:p
:rofl: That was a good one. Well, anyways, I tought both consoles should have sold at least one million more. Don{t know why, so don{t ask.

Perfect Stu
04-10-2003, 02:50 PM
xb0wned? :eek:

:p ;)

This will be an interesting sales race...XBox seems doomed in Japan, it must dominate GC in North America and Europe in order to come out on top

tarakan69
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Ohh who gives a damn??

With the dreamcast I learned not to care about sales. At ALL...

Why do people want to bitch over pathetic leads?? They are both getting their asses handed back to them by the PS2 anyways... and it ain't changing soon.

Perfect Stu
04-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by tarakan69
Ohh who gives a damn??

With the dreamcast I learned not to care about sales. At ALL...

Why do people want to bitch over pathetic leads?? They are both getting their asses handed back to them by the PS2 anyways... and it ain't changing soon.

you don't give a damn about sales, but you do give a damn about preaching about your lack of interest with sales...

O.o

I mean...fight the power!

Professor S
04-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
you don't give a damn about sales, but you do give a damn about preaching about your lack of interest with sales...

O.o

I mean...fight the power!

LOL!!!

Yes, he's soooooo musch more mature than all of us.

The fact is we all have to care about sales, because they determine who gets games. Do you see the Dreamcast getting any games? No? Why's that? Oh, thats because no one bought the damn thing. Great console + no sales = DEATH.

Now Dreamcast was a great console and I still play mine, but it didn't sell any games so no one made any for it. Thats the way it works.

Rndm_Perfection
04-10-2003, 03:52 PM
And to sum things up about the death of consoles that never sold...

There are weak consoles and strong consoles in this business. The strong consoles take all the money, and the weak consoles die. That's how the gaming business was designed. Now the PS2 will show you how it works... weaklings!

heh

GameKinG
04-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Sales are too heatedly debated for me.

CrOnO_LiNk
04-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Rndm_Perfection
And to sum things up about the death of consoles that never sold...

There are weak consoles and strong consoles in this business. The strong consoles take all the money, and the weak consoles die. That's how the gaming business was designed. Now the PS2 will show you how it works... weaklings!

heh

But Nintendo also has something SPecial that even outsells the PS2 in both America and Japan... :)

bobcat
04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
But Nintendo also has something SPecial that even outsells the PS2 in both America and Japan... :) Huh? And what's that? Not the Virtua boy? :unsure:

CrOnO_LiNk
04-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
Huh? And what's that? Not the Virtua boy? :unsure:

...Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

tarakan69
04-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
LOL!!!

Yes, he's soooooo musch more mature than all of us.

The fact is we all have to care about sales, because they determine who gets games. Do you see the Dreamcast getting any games? No? Why's that? Oh, thats because no one bought the damn thing. Great console + no sales = DEATH.

Now Dreamcast was a great console and I still play mine, but it didn't sell any games so no one made any for it. Thats the way it works.

Well of course. But when I bought a dreamcast/GCN I really didn't buy it for THE third party support. I bought it for first and second party support. Of course if the console does get some good third party games such as a MGS remake, or FF:CC then fine I'll buy them.

As for the PS2... I mostly bought it for Silent Hill/Gran Turismo series. So it was both a combo of third and second party.

bobcat
04-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
...Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?
Which do you think?

;)

CrOnO_LiNk
04-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
Which do you think?

;)

Whew, got scared there for a sec, bob. :)