PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo not doing so well

TheGame
04-08-2003, 04:31 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/392/392735p1.html

"April 07, 2003 - Bloomberg reports that Nintendo's full-year profits have fallen by 38 percent due to lagging sales of its next-generation GameCube console. The company's net income was still 66 bill yen, or about $547 million.
Nintendo's projection that 10 million GameCubes would be sold by March 31, 2003 went unmet. The company had only sold 5.6 million GCNs by that period. Microsoft has sold more than eight million Xbox systems around the world since the console's release, according to Bloomberg.

GameCube software sales totaled 44.5 million copies, well shy of Nintendo's 55 million target.

"GameCube sales were bad worldwide," Chief Financial Officer Yoshihiro Mori told reporters in Osaka.

Nintendo blamed the sluggish performance of GameCube and its software to rising popularity of such PlayStation 2 titles as Grand Theft Auto.

More as it develops."

Jonbo298
04-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Wow, I'm surprised. (I have this feeling that will be quoted:unsure: ) I hope the free game deal picks Nintendo back up and that Zelda helps it keep it on 2 legs.

TheGame
04-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Zelda should...

Nintendo's sales forcasts are looking lke Sega's, pretty sad.

DarkMaster
04-08-2003, 04:53 PM
this just in! Nintendo is losing profit!

in other news, the Sun rose today

Perfect Stu
04-08-2003, 04:55 PM
the whole free game thing will boost hardware sales somewhat...but they're still giving away a free game. Microsoft has the money and the mindset to lose quite a bit of money with the XBox for now, with a financial "180" to take place in the coming years. Is Nintendo willing to do something like that to keep GC sales at a reasonable level?

Crash
04-08-2003, 05:15 PM
you ever notice that a lot of people have xbox's but no software? working at a store, people will buy the xbox but no accessories and no games... they get jet set and sega gt, so microshafts profits probably suck. i mean, i have 2 xbox's but only halo and ghost recon... go figure, i have about 20 gamecube games.

Dyne
04-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Crash
you ever notice that a lot of people have xbox's but no software? working at a store, people will buy the xbox but no accessories and no games... they get jet set and sega gt, so microshafts profits probably suck. i mean, i have 2 xbox's but only halo and ghost recon... go figure, i have about 20 gamecube games.

*cough hacked modded burned cough cough*

That's one thing with Nintendo. They make money for every single game that's bought for their system, whereas on Xbox and PS2 you can burn discs after modding the system. There's probably loads of sales lost there.

Or, casual gamers are just idiots. Yeah, I'd take the latter.

TheGame
04-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Dyne

That's one thing with Nintendo. They make money for every single game that's bought for their system, whereas on Xbox and PS2 you can burn discs after modding the system. There's probably loads of sales lost there.

Maybe... but it seems not to be hurting Sony in any noticeable way.

Last gen there was much more burning and hacking than there is now. Sony still came out on top/

Perfect Stu
04-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Dyne

Or, casual gamers are just idiots. Yeah, I'd take the latter.

true...I guess that would explain why XBox and PS2 software sales are so low...

oh wait :unsure:

One Winged Angel
04-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Actually... X-Box has been foing worse. The system costs more to make and comes with 2 games. I have a feeling Microsoft won't give another go at this.

PS2 is most likely going to be crowned king of the this gaming generation.

Joeiss
04-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by One Winged Angel
I have a feeling Microsoft won't give another go at this.

I will bet you 800 dollars that your statement here will be false.

GameMaster
04-08-2003, 07:37 PM
That's only in the money market mind you.

In the fun factor market, Nintendo has increased levels of happiness and joyfulness 83%. Suicide has dropped 23%. And murders have gone down 32%. Kids are also showing less care and concern for school and giving more attention to having fun, essentially what life is all about.

I'd say Nintendo is getting medieval all over Sony and Microsoft's rear ends.

Joeiss
04-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Wow, you truly are a loser... lol.

DeathsHand
04-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster

In the fun factor market, Nintendo has increased levels of happiness and joyfulness 83%. Suicide has dropped 23%. And murders have gone down 32%. Kids are also showing less care and concern for school and giving more attention to having fun, essentially what life is all about.

I'd say Nintendo is getting medieval all over Sony and Microsoft's rear ends.

Thank you, GameMaster, you've raised the forum's rainbow power 36%, happiness and giggling in the streets is up 80%, and the forecast for today is fabulous with a 100% chance of bright colors and joy.

GameMaster
04-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Don't thank me, I'm just doing my job. :)

Perfect Stu
04-08-2003, 08:41 PM
And then you wonder why some people buy into the whole "Nintendo/Nintendo fans = teh kiddy" image :rolleyes:

BlueFire
04-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster

I'd say Nintendo is getting medieval all over Sony and Microsoft's rear ends. lmao, that made me laugh. good job

Xantar
04-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
And then you wonder why some people buy into the whole "Nintendo/Nintendo fans = teh kiddy" image :rolleyes:

Taking things a bit seriously, are we?

Now back on the subject at hand, it's no news nowadays that Nintendo hasn't met profit or sales forecasts. I'm surprised by these worldwide sales numbers, though. I was under the impression that the GameCube has always outsold the Xbox worldwide because the margin is just so big in Japan. BAB suggested on another forum that the 5.6 million number for the GameCube was for just March 2002 to March 2003, but I have no idea where he pulled that information from.

Yoda9864
04-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
I will bet you 800 dollars that your statement here will be false.
Ditto. Microsoft doesn't care whether they lose money or not. If I remember correctly, they even said that they expected huge financial losses while they built a fan base. I also believe that they have confirmed the development of "X-Box 2."

But everyone here already knows that...

One Winged Angel
04-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
Wow, you truly are a loser... lol.
haha... he just can't accept it.

GameKinG
04-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Im pretty sure its noyl their fiscal year, thats ussualy how it works. Cause I recall reports even before christmas that had numbers higher than that. And above xbox at the time by some million+. I know xbox gain a million more than Nintendo or something like that, narrowing the lead, but I doubt they gained a 2+ million lead between then and now without any word of it, and sales not reflecting that much of a lead.

Crash
04-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
I also believe that they have confirmed the development of "X-Box 2."

But everyone here already knows that...

no, they haven't started.... they'll just wait to see what cheepaz computer is on the market in 2005 and make a different plastic case for it.... it shall be called the Y-Box

just going in order

TheGame
04-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
Thank you, GameMaster, you've raised the forum's rainbow power 36%, happiness and giggling in the streets is up 80%, and the forecast for today is fabulous with a 100% chance of bright colors and joy.

:lol:

wait a minute.. he had his effect on me :( :) :( :lol: :( :mad: :)

Canyarion
04-09-2003, 06:51 AM
What's the big deal?
Nintendo's gaining it's profit, we're getting our great games! :)
Although I'd like to see some more good 3rd party titles. :(

fingersman
04-09-2003, 09:58 AM
HAHAhhA well atleast I laughed for the morning.........god job GM and DH. :D

Idiot
04-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Well, in the largest global recession in living memory, and a dire Japanese economy, it appears that they've fared better than excpected.

Jason1
04-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Over 500 million in profits? That sounds pretty good to me. Im not concerned. Their sales forecast was too high anyways...I remember hearing that way back when and thinking there's no way they will sell that many.