PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I Swear 'We' Are Dumb!

D-realJos
02-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Note: You'll see the term "we" numerous times throughout this thread. Don't be offended[I wasn't], as I use the term "we" loosely, since we hardcore gamers essentially make up one body.

That said, I'm disappointed in how stupidly we react to most situations these days. It's almost as though, we totally disregard our knowledge as gaming enthusiast, and in turn, are unable to apply any reasonable substance to certain situations. Below are a few examples.

How did we react to unsubstantiated(read: unofficial, personal comment, isolated from Capcom Japan) comments stating Capcom may have to reconsider RE's exclusivity.

Here's how we responded:
"Oh no, I'm so pissed at Capcom."
"Man, Nintendo better get those sales up fast."
"I know it was too good to be true."
"Looks I won't have to buy a GCN to play RE games afterall." And on and on and on...

[Edit]... that whole case started in an article on MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.com/news/697375.asp)
"If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com

But had we applied our knowledge, we'd have seen things much clearer:
There was a whole exclusive announcement held in Japan with Nintendo and Capcom. Officials from each respective company even shook hands on the deal. Capcom mentioned that RE4 started on PS2, but was terminated(why go back again?). They explained why they chose GameCube, which was for a number of factors; both from a hardware standpoint and from a long-term standpoint, they believe GC will have a long and successful life-span, essential for an extended series such are Resident Evil. The RE announcement also came in the wake of a very shallow GameCube launch in Japan, where numbers were lower than any developer could ever want. Now, based on that, why they hell would we even buy into that crap about RE hitting other consoles if GC's sales don't improve? (they are like 10X better since the announcement). Besides, since when do major deals and contracts just expire, especially for such minor reasons?

[Edit].. In any event, Capcom Japan shut down the rapidly spreading rumor (http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=2615). If had handled it right in the first place, Capcom of Japan wouldn't had to intervene and reiterate the obvious facts.

I'm just not impressed with our shabby outlook on almost every situation that arised lately....we may as well be a large group of casual gamers with absolutely no idea of what's happening in the industry. :unsure:

Another example of our diminishing level of reasoning, was with the whole commotion started when Rare sent out a Christmas greeting card. Sure you remember how we reacted. Rare games to all consoles... :rolleyes:

I'm sure the proper reasoning would have denoted it was nothing more than a light-hearded holidays card. Some of us knew better, but I'm surprised at how many people had Rare's motive in question.

I was going to discuss this in more detail, but I guess I'll cut it shot and abruptly right there, as you get the point by now. However, there are countless other examples as well, which is sad..maybe we'll master our own knowledge someday.

Again, the term "we" isn't really meant to be as definite as it appears to be. The whole topic is really meant to state.;
"We have great knowledge about gaming and related elements, apply it wisely and we'll see things much clearer, or see them the only way they are meant to be seen."

You guys are all alright though, so you shouldn't even take offense. Thank God for GT...

BigJustinW
02-08-2002, 01:33 AM
I agree

they are dumb ;)

I didn't even know about the Rare situation, or the capcom situation

GameMaster
02-08-2002, 01:45 AM
Justin, the keyword here is we, not they :D ;) :)

D-realJos
02-08-2002, 03:17 AM
LoL guys, I'm glad WE are taking our stupidity lightly.
:D

Also, BJW, I posted the thread with the assumption that you all had heard about that stuff before. I'm surprised everyone didn't :unsure:

Anyway, I edited the thread and included links to where some of the stuff [about Capcom] started, and even links to where the same rumors/silly fears got put to rest.

Perfect Stu
02-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Yeah, you guys really are stupid...

:-o

;)

DeathsHand
02-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Yeah... at the ign boards, all the Nintendo fans have been doing lately is worrying and whining and complaining :p

And still going crazy over RE's graphics........ ;)

It's annoying... Nintendo fans are annoying... I hate you all :mad2:

J/K

GameKinG
02-08-2002, 07:25 PM
On the first note, I agree there is a lot of stupidity in that sudden change of mind because of one comment that I find quite odd to get mad over. Heres why:

"If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com

But then right after that it says something a long the lines of "Luckily, It has been doing better."

So the first quote would be past tense, and the second would be present status. I may have been a little mad for a second, but then when you continue its a sigh of relief. I guess not many felt it ment anything or didnt read the next sentence and when strait to *IGN Boards* to complain.

Blix
02-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
Yeah... at the ign boards, all the Nintendo fans have been doing lately is worrying and whining and complaining :p

And still going crazy over RE's graphics........ ;)

It's annoying... Nintendo fans are annoying... I hate you all :mad2:

J/K
I wonder why you go there :hmm: . You're always going to find the most stupid coments on the net.

DeathsHand
02-09-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Nemesis

I wonder why you go there :hmm: . You're always going to find the most stupid coments on the net.

Exactly...

it can be funny... then you kinda poke em with stupid comments and they say other funny things...

*shifty eyes*

then of course there's the occasional good discussion..

but usually the good discussions drop very fast towards the bottom, under a ton of crappy discussions...

D-realJos
02-09-2002, 03:59 AM
IGNcube boards are the perfect place if you want to be driven crazy. Not sure why go there(and even post occasionally). :unsure:

I guess I go because you still have to be aware of the dumb sh!t going on, and the silly reactions that can exists. I mean, I obviously couldn't have started this thread if I wasn't aware of such behavior that exists on boards such as IGN...if I stay here an isolate myself because GT is one of the only places I can read smart responses, debates and threads, then I would only see thing in a perfect and unrealistic light...

In reality, there's 'smart' and 'stupid'... 'good' and 'bad'... you need to aware of both sides of the fence before you can make valuable conclusions. It's essential. How can I know if a certain action is smart, if I have no idea what a stupid action is? Get what I mean? ;)

Sometimes I just post there to add some sensible flavor to some threads, or to clear stuff up.

I also go there usually when I log on after a fairly long off-line time, just to see if I miss anything big...cause chances are, if there's any big news out there(whether good or bad), you are going to find 5-10 threads about it on those boards...can't miss it. :D

GameKinG
02-09-2002, 01:39 PM
I go there to see if anybody found some real news from a respectable site. Not conversation. But with so many people on that board searching the many sites I would never think of, they are like worker bees.

fingersman
02-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Yes all of you suck and are bais whinning fanboys. :p
That need a poke or reality.

:Poke:
IS it working yet?