PDA

View Full Version : Post your Desktop

Cyrax9
02-07-2002, 12:19 PM
I know we've done this before, but desktops, at least mine change from time to time, so please post your desktop!

Neo
02-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Nice, isn't it?

Cyrax9
02-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Good one Neo, although it does make it lok like you just got a New PC :D . Opps, I spoke the "forbidden" word in front of Gekko ;) .

GameMaster
02-08-2002, 01:38 AM
Without further ado...:D

Cyrax9
02-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Gamemaster, your Mac Desktop is awesome! I like the entire design, I'm trying to convince my father to make our next family Computer a Mac, because I won't touch Windows XP with a 10 foot pole, I saw the box at "Staples", and I just muttered "who would carry this crap?" Case and point, Bill gates is the Devil. My uncle has a name for him that I liike, hecallsBill Gates "Demonspawn".

Perfect Stu
02-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Cyrax9
Gamemaster, your Mac Desktop is awesome! I like the entire design, I'm trying to convince my father to make our next family Computer a Mac, because I won't touch Windows XP with a 10 foot pole, I saw the box at "Staples", and I just muttered "who would carry this crap?" Case and point, Bill gates is the Devil. My uncle has a name for him that I liike, hecallsBill Gates "Demonspawn".

HEY! :mad:

I use Windows XP...it's not as good as Windows 98 but it's still pretty good...

I'm insulted...(but it did come with my PC, I didn't have much of a choice :D)

Perfect Stu
02-08-2002, 01:53 PM
how do you make a picture out of your desktop btw?

sdtPikachu
02-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Press the "Print SCreen" button. It shoudl be somwhere above your INsert key. Then just go to your graphics editor of choice and paste into a new image.

Here's a link to mine if you can't remember what it looked like:
http://www.deviantart.com/view.php?id=169040

Perfect Stu
02-08-2002, 06:23 PM
here's my desktop:

Cyrax9
02-08-2002, 08:59 PM
These are awesome guys, keep 'em coming! Also Stu, I know what you mean about WinXP, but my uncle has found a solution to the problem, when gets a PC with WinXP he wipes the HDD and buys a copy of Win98, then he lies about WinXP being defective, and just tells them to take it back, actually lying isn't nessecerley true, after all this is M$ we're talking about, and I've gotten more defective crap from them than anyone else.

The_Dunadan
02-09-2002, 05:09 PM
gamemasters is pretty sweet, even though i don't like macs. here is mine, with winxp:) my pc, dell dimension 8200, is pretty new so i haven't got rid of some of those junk programs on my desktop yet. i keep my games and pics etc. in mikes stuff.

prepare yourself....

DarrenMcLeod
02-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Here's my crappy little desktop I made a week ago. I change it all the time, so whatever. Made it in adobe photoshop from scratch.

Meh.

Cyrax9
02-09-2002, 06:20 PM
These are Good :D :) :) ,keep 'em comin'. I'm currently making desktop logo's for my Alienware Computer in MS Paint (I know it sucks, but when you're just changing some colors it's easy). So far I've finished the color's "Nova Yellow", "Martian Red", "Conspiricy Blue", "Cyborg Green", and "Plasma Purple". They all say "Custom System" above the color name, and I've chosen the color schemes that look the most like the actual PC cases. They're all on black backgrounds, and the alien face and word "ALIENWARE" are all the color of they system, as well as the words "Custom System", and the name of the color. I haven't made Case Mods, but Desktops are a lot of fun.

manasecret
02-09-2002, 11:53 PM
Cyrax: Ackkk! So cluttered! I could never live with that desktop. :beat:

Anyway, here's mine. Hopefully it worked right.

Gamemaster, two words: kick, ass. Can't wait to get a Mac by the end of the summer.

Pika, I would appreciate tips on how to get such a desktop. :D

db

manasecret
02-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Hmm, didn't work. Trying again. Oh, I see why. I saved it as a TIFF. Time for some Jpg compression...

GameMaster
02-10-2002, 01:11 AM
Cyrax: Thank you, I like yours also :)

Dunadan: I'm glad you at least like my desktop ;)

Manasecret: Very expressive :D

The following is a more simplistic background...

The_Dunadan
02-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Gamemaster2002
Cyrax: Thank you, I like yours also :)

Dunadan: I'm glad you at least like my desktop ;)

Manasecret: Very expressive :D

The following is a more simplistic background...

i don't like the new one.
manasecret, yours is awful.....plain:p

manasecret
02-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Dunadan

:D

I like simplistic, though I change the middle picture all the time, usually with comedic stuff.

Not that I think yours is awful, but I would never keep mine as the what looks to be default XP wallpaper, or even use anything from XP's selection at all.

The_Dunadan
02-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by manasecret

:D

I like simplistic, though I change the middle picture all the time, usually with comedic stuff.

Not that I think yours is awful, but I would never keep mine as the what looks to be default XP wallpaper, or even use anything from XP's selection at all.

i know i know. i just can't seem to find anything on the interent worthy of such a fine desktop.

Cyrax9
02-12-2002, 10:57 PM
These keep getting better, let's see more. As for my cluttered Desktop, I still have a bunch of crap that I need to get rid of, which Came with my Internet Stuff, I also made some shortcuts, because I'm too lazy to use the start menu. I still have some stuff to ditch, but I should have it cleaned up soon.

bobcat
02-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Doh.

It's 275kb.

Max is 200kb ( I think)

How do i lower it??

I saved it as BMP, then converted to JPG.

Please help me out here.

Oooh Big Mac

:burger:

The_Dunadan
02-13-2002, 05:13 PM
just paste it into paint and save it as a jpg first.

thehtownpoption
02-13-2002, 09:17 PM

Considering you didn't like my first one, you probably won't like this one either. I decided to change it up a bit. :)

Here it is...

The_Dunadan
02-14-2002, 04:43 PM
i think i like the first one better. btw, do you make those yourself?

thehtownpoption
02-14-2002, 08:05 PM
i think i like the first one better. btw, do you make those yourself?

Heh, I wish I did, because they're pretty badass.

The first one is a "Demotivator" from Despair.com. There are a bunch more there, and they're all really funny.

As for the newer one, I got it from the site that sdtPikachu posted his desktop from.

And I think I like the first one better, too, or at least I don't much like this one.

GameMaster
02-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Explain your avatar to me? :confused:

thehtownpoption
02-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Explain your avatar to me? :confused:

Before I say, what do you think of her? She's not my girlfriend, so don't worry about insulting me or something (that is, if you would worry about such a thing).

jeepnut
02-16-2002, 04:33 PM

i know i know. i just can't seem to find anything on the interent worthy of such a fine desktop.

Go to www.themexp.org. You should find something you like there.

The_Dunadan
02-16-2002, 07:42 PM
that xp site looks cool. what is it? u got to download something?

GameMaster
02-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by thehtownpoption

Before I say, what do you think of her? She's not my girlfriend, so don't worry about insulting me or something (that is, if you would worry about such a thing).

Is it you? :confused:

Yoda9864
02-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Here is my non-internet desktop. The one I'm one right now has no games on it cuz it's my family's.

P.S.- The brightness of it may be a little whacked up.

Bube
02-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Here's mine. I just love it.

thehtownpoption
02-18-2002, 03:11 PM

Is it you? :confused:

Um, no, just a friend of mine. Does it... look like what I write or something?

db

Cyrax9
02-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by thehtownpoption

Um, no, just a friend of mine. Does it... look like what I write or something?

db

I'm not sure what you mean thehtownpoption when you say "Does it look like what I write or something?". Also, I do't mean to be rude, but who ae the two girls in your new vatar, if you don't mind me asking.

My Avatar's pretty obvious for FF fans, it's Rinoa from FF8.

Cyrax9
02-19-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
Here is my non-internet desktop. The one I'm one right now has no games on it cuz it's my family's.

P.S.- The brightness of it may be a little whacked up.

Yoda, I have a question for you. What type of system are you running that alowed "X-Com Apocalypse" to run? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to run it on a P4 with a GeForce3 video card, and it's not rnning correctly. I'm using the collector's edition, which has X-Com UFo Defense, TFTD, and Apocalypse for Win 95/98, and if that's what you're unning, I'd like to know if you had a similar problem, and how you fixed it, thanks.

~Cyrax9~

thehtownpoption
02-19-2002, 10:12 PM

I'm not sure what you mean thehtownpoption when you say "Does it look like what I write or something?". Also, I do't mean to be rude, but who ae the two girls in your new vatar, if you don't mind me asking.

My Avatar's pretty obvious for FF fans, it's Rinoa from FF8.

Heh, it was just that I'm a guy and I was wondering if somehow what I write sounds like I'm a girl, because that would somehow be kinda weird.

The two girls are just more friends; actually the one on the left is and the other I don't know who she is. It just looked better if I included both girls. I'm still just trying the avatar thing out, though I pretty much got it (probably change it to something else again). I'm not sure, though, how to cut out stuff so that it stays cut out when I put it in the avatar.

What do you think of the girl on the left? Again, she's not my girlfriend so don't worry about yadda yadda...

db

Cyrax9
02-19-2002, 10:22 PM
She looks nice, and she seems to have a nice smile, but I can't judge personality without talking to someone.

GameMaster
02-20-2002, 01:01 AM
Who was the girl in your first avatar?

thehtownpoption
02-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Who was the girl in your first avatar?

Funny, I really don't see what all the confusion is about my avatar. :) I guess it's not a whole lot of confusion, but I think three different people asked about it in three different threads, and then Cyrax asked something about it, too.

Anyway, the first girl is just a friend of mine. We dated once like three years back, but we're friends now. She was studying to be a model for awhile, and I think that was one of her test model pics or something. I don't think she still is modeling, though...

db

Revival
02-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Ok.. who's in your avatar NOW?

Yoda9864
02-20-2002, 06:11 PM
To Cyrax- I am running an Athlon T-Bird 1.33 ghz with a GeForce 2 GTS. It works perfectly fine with Win 98 2nd edition. I've never had any problems with it. Sorry that I couldn't help.

I've learned that faster computers are not often compatible with older games (especially newer OS's), but X-Com seems to work fine with me. Sorry again that I couldn't help.

thehtownpoption
02-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
Ok.. who's in your avatar NOW?

The girl that's on now (blonde in blue) is the first one I had, but this time she's cut out (though it's not very clean, I was just trying to figure it out). She's the one that is sort of a model, but not really.

If you mean the pic of the TWO girls, then I explained that in my response to Cyrax.

I explained both pics because I was fooling around with changing the avatar at about the time you posted, so I'm not sure which pic you're referring to.

db

Revival
02-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Err.. I don't even know what I'm talking about, so I'll just be quiet. :D

The_Dunadan
02-21-2002, 06:00 PM
how do you pronounce avatar??? i've never really known:unsure:

Revival
02-21-2002, 06:04 PM
It's phonetic. But in case you need to hear it:

http://shooterad.netfirms.com/avatar.wav

Ric
02-22-2002, 06:09 PM
how do you pronounce avatar??? i've never really known:unsure:

Av - a - tar... thats how I prenounce it anyway.

Anyway here's MY DESKTOP

The_Dunadan
02-22-2002, 06:44 PM
i love that car. got one parked in my garage over at shoreside vale.

Cyrax9
02-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Nice desktop Ric, simple, yet effective.

Cyrax9
02-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
To Cyrax- I am running an Athlon T-Bird 1.33 ghz with a GeForce 2 GTS. It works perfectly fine with Win 98 2nd edition. I've never had any problems with it. Sorry that I couldn't help.

I've learned that faster computers are not often compatible with older games (especially newer OS's), but X-Com seems to work fine with me. Sorry again that I couldn't help.

Actually, you answered this question perfectly Yoda. I'm runing a GeForce3 graphics card, and that's what wouldn't allow the game to run, according to Infogrames.

They said WinME should play it fine, but the GeForce3 needed either a VESA 2 patch, which PNY didn't have, or if I was wiling to take a chance, buy a program called "Display Doctor". Infogrames dosen't endorse Display Docotor, in other words they don't troubleshoot problems with it, but said it had helped some people play the game, and that it was worth a try, unfortunatly, there was no version of Display Doctor for the GeForce3.The company that makes Display Doctor said to check back from time to time, and see if they release one though.

Yoda9864
02-23-2002, 01:32 AM
Yeah, that game is pretty fun. I hope you get it running. You've beat it right?

The_Dunadan
02-23-2002, 10:50 AM
hey, townpoption, i found a desktop u might like. here is the preview of it....

EDIT: don't know why the pic isn't working, just go to the link

and here is the link if u like it....

http://www.themexp.org./view_info.php?id=12129

The_Dunadan
02-23-2002, 01:14 PM
my new desktop thanx to that xp theme place which i really like....

Revival
02-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Here's my desktop:

GameMaster
02-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Shooter that is AWESOME!!! Very creative man! Bravo! Are you a Mac user? :D :D :D

azazela31
02-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Here's mine

GameMaster
02-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Looks cool. You make it? Interesting website down there at the bottom...:D

azazela31
02-23-2002, 02:53 PM
You make it?

HAHA... I'm too lazy to make my own wallpapers. But my friend makes amazing ones.

But his are not about gaming, but marijuana. He's a pothead... rather sad.

Revival
02-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Shooter that is AWESOME!!! Very creative man! Bravo! Are you a Mac user? :D :D :D
No, but I wish I was.

I've been wanting a Mac for years, but my dad won't let me get one because he works for Compaq, and that would be against his "intrests". It's sort of like me buying a Dell.. :rolleyes:

I personally think it's the stupidest thing in the world.. but what do I know?

Revival
02-23-2002, 03:27 PM
azazela31, I absoultely LOVE your signature -- it kicks ass.. I just had to tell you that.

azazela31
02-23-2002, 04:02 PM
azazela31, I absoultely LOVE your signature -- it kicks ass.. I just had to tell you that.

The pics are from gamespot;) I could make anything better... I'm not very artistic.

Revival
02-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Well, they still rock -- I love 'em!

Revival
02-23-2002, 04:49 PM
EDIT
You should have just deleted the post.

thehtownpoption
02-23-2002, 07:55 PM
hey, townpoption, i found a desktop u might like. here is the preview of it....

EDIT: don't know why the pic isn't working, just go to the link

and here is the link if u like it....

http://www.themexp.org./view_info.php?id=12129

Hmm, for some reason the link stopped working. But I saw it before it stopped, so...

I thought it was good, mainly because of it's simplicity, and I like it a lot better than my second desktop I posted. But when I changed to the second one, I didn't really like it because it wasn't very personal. So I went back to the style of my first desktop, with something comedic in the middle.

Thanks, though, :) I would have changed it to that if I was still using the second one.

The_Dunadan
02-23-2002, 10:22 PM
that site just got really messed up all a sudden! hope not hacked!

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 03:11 AM

No, but I wish I was.

I've been wanting a Mac for years, but my dad won't let me get one because he works for Compaq, and that would be against his "intrests". It's sort of like me buying a Dell.. :rolleyes:

I personally think it's the stupidest thing in the world.. but what do I know?

You're in college right? How would he know if you got yourself an Apple laptop like the Titanium Powerbook? I have to admit, those bad boys are out of my budget. If interest strikes, check it out here (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/) . :D

Revival
02-24-2002, 08:46 AM
You're in college right?
No, I'm a freshman in High School. :lol:

But when I go to college, I'm probably going to buy a Mac.

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 01:40 PM

No, I'm a freshman in High School. :lol:

But when I go to college, I'm probably going to buy a Mac.

Well, I feel downright sheepish. :D

Revival
02-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Well, I feel downright sheepish. :D
S'ok -- what made you think I was in college?

GameMaster
02-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Pinkerton Academy, btw, what happened to Kristen's Bedroom?

Perfect Stu
02-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Pinkerton Academy, btw, what happened to Kristen's Bedroom?

*shakes head*

shouldn't have asked that...

(they broke up)

GameMaster
02-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Oops, uh, sorry man. :(

Revival
02-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Oh.. it's ok.. and Pinkerton Academy is the name of the High School I go to.. it's bigger than some colleges - it's the biggest High School in the U.S. :D

GameMaster
02-25-2002, 09:57 PM
That's cool. I hope the number of students in your classes isn't too high. Here in California, we're trying to lower class sizes so each student gets more individual attention.

azazela31
02-26-2002, 06:54 AM
Well, they still rock -- I love 'em!

I changed my sig... so if you want I can send you link to use my old sig.

Revival
02-26-2002, 08:46 AM
Me?! Change my signature?

Nah.. Nate would be heartbroken, after spending all of 5 minutes making this..

I like your new signature, and I like my signature, I don't change it often.

GameMaster
02-28-2002, 02:57 AM
How do you guys feel about mine? Annoying, too much self advertisment? :unsure: :confused:

Ric
02-28-2002, 09:12 AM
Honestly... its crudd, get a new one.

EDIT: 1919 Posts.

azazela31
02-28-2002, 09:58 AM
I think his sig is okay...

Revival
02-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Annoying
Sing! Annoying as hell.. your signature, I hate the most.

Cyrax9
03-04-2002, 12:01 AM
The sig was OK, but not as interesting as some, DH used to have some very cool ones.

However GameMaster2000, what ever ypou do, DO NOT cahnge that Avatar!!! I have an A;lienware PC, so you know how attached I am to the Alien-head.

GameMaster
03-04-2002, 01:05 AM
Lol! Don't worry man, the alien head stays forever! I changed the avatar a couple times over my run here at GameTavern but this is the original avatar I first had and I'm keeping it for good. Maybe I'll go for the sig-less look for now.

Cyrax9
03-04-2002, 10:01 PM
hey man, I'm just glad you're keeping the Alien Head, it's probably what influcenced my PC purchase right along with the bright Yellow Case, I didn't care about much on my PC except How fast can it go, What color is it, and is it made by Alienware? Those were the three questions I asked whenever I looked at it before buying.

GameMaster
03-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Gee, who would guess my avatar would influence the type of computer one purchases?! Uh, glad I could help you out! :D BTW, can you post a picture of you're computer? I like to see it if it isn't too much to ask. :D

Cyrax9
03-05-2002, 10:13 PM
I'm sending you a pic now, I had to rescan it, but ti should work, it was taken around Christmas.

GameMaster
03-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Thats cool looking! :D

Cyrax9
03-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks, except the desktop has been changed to a "Star Trek" Desktop, and there are alot more shortcuts on the desktop, because I'm too lazy to use the start menu. There's also a cable modem by the system now.

Ric
03-08-2002, 12:05 PM
COOL.... hey your keyboard looks similar to mine except mine's blue, is yours made by vivanco?

Cyrax9
03-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Actually, if you want to know the truth the invoice records it as an ANTEC 107-ENHANCED KEYBOARD and the website lists it as an "exclusive Alienware design", which is apparently true, because they aren't availble from anyone else, the box labeled it as "Antec 107-Keyboard Nova Yellow", and it looks like reghular Antec keyboards, plus all the magazines that review the Alienware PC's show the same Keyboard and name, so it's probably the exclusive Antec Keyboard. I would have had an Antec Mid-Tower case, but I got an Upgrade to a DRagon Full-Tower Case, which was very helpful for upgrades which I've done myself.

Ric
03-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Oh ok, mines got loads of little fiddly buttons on (which I have yet to install the drivers for on this PC) like one is a power button, press it and the whole PC shuts down, then theres sleep, wake, DOS key, eject, close and loads of other crudd that I dont really use.

Cyrax9
03-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Oh ok, mines got loads of little fiddly buttons on (which I have yet to install the drivers for on this PC) like one is a power button, press it and the whole PC shuts down, then theres sleep, wake, DOS key, eject, close and loads of other crudd that I dont really use.

Yeahm this has Power Sleep, and Wake buttons, but they're the size of regular keys, and usualy crash on most systems, so I just don't use them. My old Gateway keyboard had a bunch of useless shortcut buttons, but they could have added alot more useful ones instead, I really hated a "volume" button, when I have ones on my speakers, a shortcut to DOS would be great though.

Ric
03-10-2002, 12:29 PM
Lol! Don't worry man, the alien head stays forever! I changed the avatar a couple times over my run here at GameTavern but this is the original avatar I first had and I'm keeping it for good. Maybe I'll go for the sig-less look for now.

Oh sorry man, I did'nt realise you meant your sig, I thought you meant your desktop, thats crudd, your sig was good.

Ric
03-10-2002, 12:36 PM
and usualy crash on most systems

Mmm I'll bare that in mind when using mine, now if only I could find that bloody CD with the drivers on.

Also posted by Cyrax9
a shortcut to DOS would be great though.

I dont use mine, you can have it, lol.

GameMaster
03-11-2002, 01:30 AM
Ric, are black posts and green member names your trademark? :D

Ric
03-11-2002, 09:08 AM
YES someone finally commented on it, here Gamemaster2002 http://shooterad.netfirms.com/cactibeer.gif have some free cacti beer, anyway why do I do it. Well there's a number of reasons. I like to write in different colours because that way I can identify my own posts very quickly should I need to. Also I feel it personalises my account somewhat, sure we have a sig and all but I wanted to fiddle around and exploit more options. I highlight peoples names because then they can see their name standing out and know I am talking about them. Also it kind of personalises it to that person. Anyway there it is.

Revival
03-11-2002, 02:41 PM
I like Ric's colored posts.. I don't read them unless I see my name in them ;)

Nah.. just kidding, but I do like the colors.. it adds a nice touch.

GameMaster
03-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Gee Ric, thanks for the beer :D And that highlight just made my day all the more special. Here's to you buddy :beerchug:

My alien avatar is enough for me to find my posts. Since it's black and white and flashes. BTW, sorry my name is kinda long. Call me GM or GameMaster if you want. I plan on editing out the 2002 in the future.

Revival
03-12-2002, 10:10 AM
I plan on editing out the 2002 in the future.
You can pay 200 doubloons to have your name changed, and you keep everything else, just the name changes. If you are interested, you can post in the Treasure Trove forum.

Ric
03-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Oh this is news to me, and it sucks, it used to be you get one name change, you shouldnt be charged. You should however be charged if you change it again after that though. Hey anyway you'll pay for it for him wont you Shooter it's not as if you couldnt spare a few dblns, I still think you hacked into it somehow:sneaky:

GameMaster
03-13-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Ric
Hey anyway you'll pay for it for him wont you Shooter it's not as if you couldnt spare a few dblns, I still think you hacked into it somehow:sneaky:

This guy has a point. What do you say Shooter? For old time's sake? :D

Revival
03-13-2002, 04:33 PM
You want me to pay for his name change?

Ehh.. I'll think about it.

Ric
03-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Right anyway, back to the reason this thread started, heres my desktop, my new one :).

GameMaster
03-13-2002, 11:03 PM
You want me to pay for his name change?

Ehh.. I'll think about it.

Thanks Shooter!! :D

Anyway, here's mine...

Cyrax9
03-15-2002, 10:43 PM
These are great guys, keep 'em rollin' in. Shooter, what can I say, I love Mac desktops! Oh, and Ric, you're floppy Disk Icon is amazing, I should make one with my Icon editor for myself, I should also do the CD-ROM Drive.

jshrimp3
03-16-2002, 10:08 AM
this is mah desktop. isn't it creepy looking?

Ric
03-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Oh, and Ric, you're floppy Disk Icon is amazing, I should make one with my Icon editor for myself, I should also do the CD-ROM Drive.

Why, thankyou verry much Cyrax BTW what icon programme do you have, my one can only support 16 colours annoyingly enough.

The original icon I made was just a disk, then I decided to colour it in. Here's the original if you want it.

GameMaster
03-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jshrimp3
this is mah desktop. isn't it creepy looking?

Hey, that's pretty cool Shrimp. :)

jshrimp3
03-16-2002, 04:24 PM
yeah somewhere i found that except it was brown and light gray so i just inverted the colors and got...voila! a neon blue and purple/black cool lookin backround.

GameMaster
03-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Way to use those art programs! :D

jshrimp3
03-17-2002, 03:51 PM
ummm...yeah. Paint is 1 heck of an awesome art program:D

Cyrax9
03-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ric

Why, thankyou verry much Cyrax BTW what icon programme do you have, my one can only support 16 colours annoyingly enough.

The original icon I made was just a disk, then I decided to colour it in. Here's the original if you want it.

Thank's Ric, I'm using EasyApps' EasyIcons98 and IconEasel98 which were $30 together online for a lisence key, and a CD in the mail. I'm posting my updated Desktop, which has a floppy that's Similar to yours. I actually drew it before I made the post asking about your floppy Icon. Also I added "lines" in mine to make it looklike it was a real dsik, here, have a look at the updated Desktop. It's still pretty cluttered, but I did delete some stuff.

Ric
03-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Cool disk.

Bloody hell, a bit cluttered, your whole screen is covered. I put all my stuff in folders, hey it takes a few seconds longer to access but I am trying to keep my new 40Gb hard drive tidy, no easy task I can tell you.

OMG You actually got that Simpsons Patch for Doom to work. I tried time and again but to no avail. That was a few years back now though, I don't even have doom anymore.

jshrimp3
03-18-2002, 03:56 PM
uhhh...Cyrax? why do u have Power Rangers icons?

GameMaster
03-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by jshrimp3
uhhh...Cyrax? why do u have Power Rangers icons?

Power Rangers are coming back.

Cyrax9
03-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, keep the desktops coming. :)

Ric, I know it's more cluttered than half of my room, but I like easy access to most programs that I use alot, or don't store in one central folder.

GameMaster2002, I'm glad to see somebody isn't looking at me like an idiot. The "Power Rangers" Icons were Downloaded from a site dedicated to the Japanese version of the show called "Sentai", not to be confused with "Hentai", for those of you who've seen that kind of stuff (OK, we probably all have,even if it was a glimpse). Sentai has been on for 26 years now in Japan, and Power Rangers has been on for Nine, alopthough alot of people seem to count it as 10 years, by my math "2002 - 1993 = 9", unless I'm missing something. Since last year was the 25th anniversary of Sentai, there was a movie made called "GaoRanger Vs. Sentai", which took the newest sentai, GaoRanger, and had them fight along side one member from each of the other 25 seasons. While I was looking for Sentai Info, as well as downloadable video's (specifically Megaranger Vs. Carranger, because if it were released in the USA it would either have a "PG-13" or "R" rating for extreme language and violence, plus I like the megaranger storline), Istubled upon a site that had sevreal links to sentai sites and one had Downloadable Wallpaper, Cursors, and Icons. If you ever see the little Blue "gun-thing, that's the japanese "Mega Sniper cursor" I Downloaded, along with several Icons, and more cursors, which were then propmtly scanned for viruses, with none found. If you were to look at the file names, they don't say "Power Rangers" for the downloads, for example the "power Rangers in Space" Icon heads don't say "Pink Ranger, Silver Ranger, Yellow Ranger", they say "Mega Pink Mega Silver, and Mega Yellow", and the zip file is labled Megaranger from that series. Try looking at weapon,morpher, and robot names, and it gets even harder without a preview.

Anyway, I know it's only a small change, but herte's my newest desktop update. Take a close look at the toolbar, this isn't Windows XP, that's pretty obvious, it's Windows ME.

GameMaster
03-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Hey, I really like that Alienware icon :D

The_Dunadan
03-19-2002, 09:19 PM
man you have a lot on your desktop!!!

why do so many ppl use morpheus, it isn't that good. kazaa is wayyyyy better. and when u finally realize this, kazaa will let u transfer all your downloads over from morpheus.

GameMaster
03-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Kazaa is wack. :p ;) Just kidding. Uh, I use LimeWire.

Cyrax9
03-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Thanks GameMaster, I like the alien head too, he's azn uneditable Icon, so he'll always be there.

As far as Morpheus Goes, It's now cut-off from Kazza completly, and is running on the Gnutella Server in a beta mode afetr the Kazza-style server was hacked. I like the new Morpheus better than the old one, and since Kazza is on a bad server, apparently they had some problems too, I'm not going to use it as a third file-sharer, I've already Got Morpheus and WinMX, I don't need anything else. It seems that if it's not on WinMX, it's on Morpheus, and Vice-versa. I almost tried Kazza, but I didn't like what I heartd about it as much, especially after my uncle DLed movies off of morpheus and watched them once before deleteing them, thus saving a trip to blockbuster, I did the same thing, and it worked just fine. WinMX is still my favorite for finding very obscure stuff, such as themes from the Sentai Series' that I have those Icons from. I even have the songs in English and Japanese, all from WinMX. I also have some FF music that's nearly impossible to find.

Mikkey
03-23-2002, 10:26 AM
here is mine with windowsxp

Mikkey
03-23-2002, 10:29 AM
oops didnt realize it was too big

GameMaster
03-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Nice toolbar Mikkey :)

Cyrax9
03-24-2002, 01:49 AM
it looks good mikkey, although I still hate the way WinXP works. You havew alot of the same software that I do. I'm not using POwerDVD anymore though, because A, my DVD-ROM drive isn't working at all when it comes to DVD's, but it plays CD's and CD-Roms, so I have to get that fixed, and B, I have a Hardware MPEG-2 Decoder card, so I can watch my movies on my TV. I also use "Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum", which is alot better than Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe, which somebody once said "isn't easy, and there wasn't alot of creating", which I found to be true. I'm using WinMX also, as well as ZoneAlarm Pro, PestPatrol also is on my system, and I just bought WinZip, because I've used both WinRAR and WinZip, and preferred WinZip, although now I might start to look at "Getright", which is supposedly better. I also have RealOne, and WinAmp2 on my PC, as soon as a final version of WinAmp3 is out, I'll be DLing that, and deleting Winamp2, IT also looks like It'l be fun To "Skin" WinAmp3, which I'll have some fun doing.

Ric
03-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Mmh, lets see , I have got, Windows 98 which my dad nicked from work with winzip which my dad nicked from work and office 2000 which I nicked off someone (and have since returned) I use WinMX and Morpheus and run all mp3's and stuff on Windows Media Player, I also have quicktime for some/most video downloads.

jshrimp3
03-24-2002, 12:38 PM
wut is WinMX anyway? i've heard a bunch about it. is it like morpheus and kazaa?

Revival
03-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Yummy! Here's my new dekstop:

The_Dunadan
03-24-2002, 05:38 PM
another beautiful desktop from dunadan.........

The_Dunadan
03-24-2002, 05:42 PM
dis one kewl too.....

sdtPikachu
03-24-2002, 08:10 PM
I imagine most of you will find this one somewhat different to usual...

sdtPikachu
03-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Cobblers, I didn't mean The GIMP to still be in the shot like that. But hey, you get the picture - I'm using Linux! Woohoo! Rather less microsft for me from now on I feel.

I installed it yesterday (about 24 hours ago in fact), which was a whole lot easier than I'd planned. Childs play in fact... the hardest thing to do was to hit delete quickly enough so I could enter BIOS and boot from CD rather than floppy.

It's a joy to know that I am now using wholly free software that I can do anything with and give to anyone I like. Mmmm....

Cyrax9
03-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Great Desktop's Everyone, keep 'em coming in.

Pika, I LOVE the Linux Desktop, now I'm considering a Linux system myself in a few years, I'm trying to be Microsoft-free after this PC, since they've killed DOS, added product activation, and decided to enter the Console Business with there Bug-filled software I have lost what little respect I had for them.

As for WinMX, it's another FileShaere, I generally ind that if something I want isn't on Morpheus it's on WinMX, and if it's on WinMX it isn't on Morpheus, both are Spyware free, and even though some things are on both servers, I find a wider variety of obscure soundtrack songs on WinMX than Morpheus, and more modern Music on Morpheus than WinMX. I've gotten some good movies off of WinMX, and I've yet to compare picture files, since you usually find porn floating around in picture areas, and I'm not in the mood to load up my HD with Porn, if I wanted to do that, I'd buy a playboy magazine. Morpheus has some Game Demos on it, but most can be found on WinMX by looking in the "Video" or "pictures" section.

As far as the "new" morpheus, I've only used it a few times, but it's still good. The final version should be out soon. WinMX runs on the gopod ol' WPNP, and will soon have anew Version of its own, so I'll be checking on that. Depending on what you want I'd check out either morpheus or WinMX, WinMX is a litle different, but it's still a great file-sharer, and since Napster bit the dust I think It's just as good as Morpheus.

jeepnut
03-25-2002, 03:38 AM
Here's my desktop.

Ric
03-25-2002, 05:15 PM
WHOA Pika you're alive, how you doing mate?

The_Dunadan those are some cool wallpapers, I want to go there.

And here's my latest desktop, its a picture of two of my two oldest nephews, I took it on a digicam it was for a media studies assignment but I made it into a desktop and added some captions.

- OK it's poor quality coz I had to make it smaller.

jshrimp3
03-26-2002, 06:57 AM
if ur nephews really said that then i would be scared. those would be some creepy nephews. i've never seen a kid say "Muh uh uh".

sdtPikachu
03-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Ric
WHOA Pika you're alive, how you doing mate?

I'm not bad thanks, yourself?

As for WinMX, it's another FileShaerer...

True, but I find it to have more music that I want than any other filesharer, and I also find it faster to boot. Morpheus has gone **** since they changed it, Kazaa and all the rest use spyware and now Morpheus has been found to be "stealing" money by installing a browser plugin which means that the guys who make it get referral money whenever you go to a site giving money to referrers. I can't remember the details, butthere was a post about it on slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org) a coupla days ago.

So, it's winmx for me. Which runs great under Linux by the way.

GameMaster
04-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Here's one that came with OS 9. I kinda like it.

Cyrax9
04-23-2002, 11:01 PM
WinMX all the way, Morpheus seems to have gone Belly-up, and I hate Spyware!

WinMX has more of my favorite obscure songs than any other filesharing program, and I've gotten alot of Sentai (no dammit not Hentai, they're completly different) thems off of WinMX, including Nimpuu Sentai Hurricanger, Japanese Power Rangers that'll be in the USA next year, and on top of tha, the senti Version is aot gorier, and you can here a bit of swearing. I imported a moved from two of the Sentai shows, because it was too god to pass up. Besisedes, after seeing some of a certain Power Rangers sereies, Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue, more like Please Rescue Lightspeed rescue, in it's Japanese format, I realized why some of the US censors make me want to puke.

I downlaoded a video theme to the 1979 "Himitsu Sentai GoRanger" series, as well as a ton of "Star Trek" music and lord knows what else. I know I've got at least 130 MP3s on my PC that are original, and god knows how many duplicates.

Lord Germano
05-01-2002, 04:07 AM
My beautiful desktop! :p

Cyrax9
05-02-2002, 12:35 AM
Excellent Desktop Thaguy, it would have gotten even higher priase from me if it was't on a WinXP machine, but the desktop is amazing. Here's the latest verison of mine:

Angrist
05-06-2002, 08:14 AM
Most of the stuff is from my dad.

sdtPikachu
05-07-2002, 11:50 AM
You know, I'm continually amazed by the amount of icons on peoples desktops - I have only 6, and I hardly ever use those.

In Windows, they're all taken care of by the quick launch bar and auto-hide toolbars at the sides of the screen, and in Linux they're taken care of by docked panels and launchers in GNOME.

But if all your icons are on the desktop don't you have to minimise all your other windows first? Or use the start menu (most of you won't have this configured either) - I like being able to access any program on my machine with (at most) two clicks and three seconds of time.

Besides, your wallpaper is there to look pretty, and having icons all over it usually spoils it IMO...

And some of you SO need to figure out how to get rid of those fugly shortcut arrows...

jeepnut
05-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu
And some of you SO need to figure out how to get rid of those fugly shortcut arrows...

And how would one go about this in say, windows XP?

sdtPikachu
05-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Hmm, good question.

I would suggest fdisk and the Windows 2000 installation disk... :D

Lord Germano
05-08-2002, 02:15 AM
As you can see from my desktop, there is squat all icons on it. Toolbar on the bottom is the usual start bar, to the left we have directories, to the right games, and on the top there is office, photodeluxe and stuff like that. I even cleared some space on the background pic for WMP and MSN messanger.:p

Ric
05-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Right, it's been a while but now it's time for you to all see my new desktop and here it is:

GameMaster
05-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey, it's the Grim Reaper from Conker's Bad Fur Day! Nice wallpaper Ric. We should make an avatar for GameTavern's Grim Reaper using that guy. :D

sdtPikachu
05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Done a bit more fiddlydunking... but most of the cool stuff you can't see...

GameMaster
05-11-2002, 12:41 AM
You'll have to excuse me, a hypnotic wave overcame me during the taking of this screenshot as I blankly gazed at the iTunes' visual effects. :D

Cyrax9
05-11-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by GameMaster
You'll have to excuse me, a hypnotic wave overcame me during the taking of this screenshot as I blankly gazed at the iTunes' visual effects. :D

I don't blame you GameMaster, that Itunes set-up is pretty sweet, I had something like it in Windows ME once, but I started playng everything in inAmp, because I hated Windows Media Player.

sdtPikachu
05-14-2002, 09:33 PM
I hate to rain on the parade, but as far as spangly psychedlic swirling light shows go, I think Winamp rules above all else. True, XMMS (Linux clone) is almost identical, but it just doesn't have the variety Winamp does - there's no geiss or rabid hamster plugins for it yet.

Once there are though... bwah ha ha hah!

Damnit, I need to get my OpenGL drivers installed... just in case...

Jin
05-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Here's mine finally...

Cyrax9
05-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Nice Guys, keep 'em coming, anyway, here's my latest, and most major revision:

Bond
05-17-2002, 11:41 PM
This might work, might not:

http://liquid2k.com/atbond007/desktop.jpg

Revival
05-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Here's my newest beauty. I finally got it all customised the way I want it. See, I hate icons, and I only have the Recycle Bin on my desktop so I can have it on the Desktop toolbar (upper right hand corner - taskbar). I have the Quick Launch fitted with the icons I use the most, and my Start Bar (next post) fitted with all the icons I use the most. Anyways, here's my desktop:

Revival
05-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Of course with Windows XP, you can't just show the desktop, you have to show your Start Bar as well.. man, how I do love XP :D

gekko
05-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Ya, the new XP start bar. Man, it sucks ass. Thank God you can still choose the original.

Here's a wallpaper i just put together. Not sure if I wanna use it though.

http://homepage.mac.com/gekko85/FZERO_1280x1024.jpg

Revival
05-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Heh.. I love the new start bar :p

Cyrax9
05-18-2002, 09:21 PM
I hate the new Star Bar, but then again, I hate Windows XP. It's too bad you can't "Hea" the sound-effects my PC makes now, becaue they're all "Star TRek" sound effects and just about every button that's clicked on makes some cool noise, be it a "blip", "beep", "Terek computer talking" or something erlse, and it's doen under Windows ME, which proves you don't need WinXP for a good "theme" on your PC, when I cancel an IM it says "Confirmed" during shutdown it makes a "Waring system shutdown" sound effect, and during start up it has another trek sound effect.

I also am getting comfuy with my coool-blue tool-bat and Start Menu, as well as my new Icons, which if are done ocorectly I love. When I hae an "Empty Space", Icons work fine, when their's an actualy Picture, I hate 'em, so the "Empty space" on my desktop has a bunch of Icons to make it look cool.

Drunk Hobbit
05-19-2002, 03:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/abstractgallery_t/trigun/trigun_03_1024.html

Revival
05-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
http://www.geocities.com/abstractgallery_t/trigun/trigun_03_1024.html
That's one bitching desktop Danny!

The_Dunadan
05-19-2002, 08:05 PM
here is my desktop, i think i've used this background before but i don't care. i just cleaned it up, downloaded mirc, updated musicmatch, and am about to download kazaa lite which will eleminate the spyware threat, i think:)

edit: oh yeh, aol free trial almost up!!! woohoo!!!

The_Dunadan
05-19-2002, 08:06 PM
here is my start menu if you are so nosy you have to see taht too:D the icon looks a whole lot better on the login screen.

Cyrax9
05-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Danny, that's one helluva Desktop! I like it!

Shooter, where di you find tha "Klingon" avatar from Star Trek?

Don't tell me it's not from Star Trek, because I have about 50 pictures of that exact same logo.

Oh, and Dunadan, I'm actualy enjoying AOHell, if only for the DISCOUNT ON THE "Obi-Wan Kenobi" lightsaber toy I bought from Target.com, which saved me 10% for using AOL, I might exploit this weekness for other purchases, such as RE fopr the GCN, and other things I want.

I got a 10% discount on a LISENCED Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber toy, which is not in any "Physical" store near me from SW: AOTC, so that was great for me, I don't think too many people will find this toy anywhere, because it's extreml;y rare, and Starwars.com dosen't even show alot of Pictures of it (only Count Dooku and Annikin's Lightsabers), so this was a good find.
It wasn't an exclusive, it's just one of those "rare" toys that any Sci-Fi and Star wars Freak such as myself must own.

See what you can Juice out of AOL for the rest of the trial, than junk it.

I use it for "Exclusive" content, and since My cable company has "Forced" me into using IE, unless I use Cable AOL, I'll use AOL, I feel safer without opening IE too much.

Revival
05-20-2002, 04:03 PM

Don't tell me it's not from Star Trek, because I have about 50 pictures of that exact same logo.
The EXACT same thing? Blue fire and everything in the background? Don't think so. I made that on my own. I made it when I was bored in Science. It's my band's logo. Now, I'm not a Trekkie, so I've never seen a logo like that before, and I made it on my own. I can eve explain every meaning that I put in it:

The 3 spikes are for the band's name: "Correctional Facility Project" -- 3 words, 3 spikes.

The circle is life's journey.. deja vu.. everything comes back again: history repeats itself.

And the blue flame for passion. Blue is my favorite color, and it's also been called "the passion color", and so blue fire equals the fire of passion.

No Trek crap there :D

Cyrax9
05-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Interesing, I didn't know you madce the blue fire though.

The red part though loks Exactly the same, and can bee seen in several episodes of Star Trek: TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

The shape is exactly the same, and I belive the circle has ther same "representation" of life's journey, but it's remarkable that you were able to make that without ever seeing the "Klingon" symbol. I have a picture of it here it's show in sevreal colors, the most promeneint being a "Blood" Red for a "warrior race", either way I think your logo is cool.

Ric
05-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Guess what, I got me another desktop, wanna take a look?... really

TOUGH SH!T

Ok just messin with ya, here goes.

Bond
05-26-2002, 06:16 PM
Danny, that's one helluva Desktop! I like it!

Oh, and Dunadan, I'm actualy enjoying AOHell, if only for the DISCOUNT ON THE "Obi-Wan Kenobi" lightsaber toy I bought from Target.com, which saved me 10% for using AOL, I might exploit this weekness for other purchases, such as RE fopr the GCN, and other things I want.

I got a 10% discount on a LISENCED Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber toy, which is not in any "Physical" store near me from SW: AOTC, so that was great for me, I don't think too many people will find this toy anywhere, because it's extreml;y rare, and Starwars.com dosen't even show alot of Pictures of it (only Count Dooku and Annikin's Lightsabers), so this was a good find.
It wasn't an exclusive, it's just one of those "rare" toys that any Sci-Fi and Star wars Freak such as myself must own.

See what you can Juice out of AOL for the rest of the trial, than junk it.

I use it for "Exclusive" content, and since My cable company has "Forced" me into using IE, unless I use Cable AOL, I'll use AOL, I feel safer without opening IE too much.
Those endorsed by Lucasfilm lightsabers cost a fortune, like $299, but only $150 for Master Yoda's.

MasterMind
05-27-2002, 01:22 AM
Here is a recent change to my desktop.

Revival
05-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Damn, that car's nice -- what is it? :eek:

Ric
05-27-2002, 11:32 AM
Looks like a Lamborghini, must be a new model. :unsure:

sdtPikachu
05-27-2002, 07:06 PM
New theme...

See, it's not just Macs that can do Aqua...

All I need now is another theme for the window boxes themselves, and voila, as they say...

gekko
05-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Damn, that car's nice -- what is it? :eek:

Lamborghini Marcialengo, or however you spell it.

Revival
05-27-2002, 07:34 PM
Oh.. cool, thanks.

That's a pretty sweet car :drool:

Lord Germano
05-28-2002, 03:42 AM
Here is my beautiful new desktop!!

sdtPikachu
05-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Huzzah... me now the king of themes...

Happydude
05-28-2002, 02:32 PM
couldn't find a Vipr RT-10 '00 model :(

GameMaster
05-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu
New theme...

See, it's not just Macs that can do Aqua...

All I need now is another theme for the window boxes themselves, and voila, as they say...

You even have the same little red, yellow, and green buttons! A similar dock, the same folder and trash icons! This is ridiculous! There can only be one cool operating system! :mad:

The question that remains is which OS copied? :hmm:

sdtPikachu
05-30-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by GameMaster
The question that remains is which OS copied? :hmm:

No worries dude, the people say in the credits to the theme that it's based on the aqua interface. So no, Apple didn't copy Linux!

I didn't know the icons were the same, they were got from another theme pack for my file manager (since you can apply different themes to your windows, the window edges and your file managers, and you can even have different themes for different programs.

I've seen Linux screenshots that are totally indistinguishable from the real Aqua... you can make Linux look just like XP if you really want to (although I hate the way XP looks, so I wouldn't go near it... ;))... the world is your lobster!

GameMaster
05-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Well, nevertheless, I really like your desktop, very creative on your part. :)

The_Dunadan
05-30-2002, 08:13 PM
just changed my desktop pic and deleted/added some icons(photoshop 7 is one of them:D). tomorrow i'll have desert siege and soldier of fortune 2 also, and neowatch and neotrace. anyways....the gorgeous desktop you wish you all had....

Jonbo298
05-30-2002, 08:25 PM
just changed my desktop pic and deleted/added some icons(photoshop 7 is one of them:D). tomorrow i'll have desert siege and soldier of fortune 2 also, and neowatch and neotrace. anyways....the gorgeous desktop you wish you all had....

6 Months of AOL Included! Kick A$$!!!!!

The_Dunadan
05-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Jonbo298

6 Months of AOL Included! Kick A$$!!!!!

aol sux! thats why i have IE up, cause aol isn't even working right now! six months is almost up though then we're switching to roadrunner:banana:

sdtPikachu
05-31-2002, 12:27 PM

aol sux! thats why i have IE up, cause aol isn't even working right now! six months is almost up though then we're switching to roadrunner:banana:

Arrggghhhhh....!

You use IE cos you can't use AOL?! Sigh...

Netscape and Opera (as well as dozens of others you can get for *nix and Windows) are so much better than IE (AOL uses IE at the moment, but are about to start integrating the new Netscape instead), but personally I'd never use the AOL interface. Just plug your dial-in details into control panel instead of pressing the "AOL" button, and then you're free to use whatever browser you want.

And a tip from friends of mine who've tried to stop using AOL: don't bother phoning or emailing them. Just go to the bank and tell them to stop this debit on the credit card. You'll get a barrage of special offers through the post, but AOL suck, so please please don't bother.

</Pika hates AOL>

The_Dunadan
06-01-2002, 12:50 PM
for those of you who like spiderman, there is a sweeeet desktop you can download here: http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=1365

Cyrax9
06-01-2002, 09:38 PM
I'm using AOL now because I like to "leech" off of the "exclusive" content for some stuff, and because I don't trust IE. Also I hate to inform PIka, but AOL 7.0 in the USA no longer uses the IE6 Plug-in, it's a seperate browser, I found that out after I switched to 7.0 from 6.0 and It's actually a good thing it looks like IE, but it's not IE at all if you try to use the coding for IE, so they've already changed it in the USA, Also, because I'm on AOL I can buy alot of $#*! online at a discount for AOL members, especially at Target's website, which is where I got an Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber from SW: Episode II after every store in my area ran out, so that extra $15 a month for CableAOL is worth it.

If you do keep it, besure to use the extra crap they send you, occasionally you can get somehting good from places like Amazon and the wonderful Hell that is eBay even, I use it because I know someone who comapred AOL 6.0 to 7.0 and the first shock he got was that it no longer used IE in the USA, so I'm keeping it, besides 7 screen-names under one accoutn ain't bad, even with the 50 million pop-ups at sign off, which I'm able to block with ZA PRO, oh, and did I mention I got MacCaffe VirusSacn for a Discount from AOL? VirusScan was a program I needed anyway so that was good for me, I've gotten so much stuff from AOL it ain't fuuny, and it's actually worht the coasters they send in the mail, Pika I'm still waiting for thse book-ends.

Also AOL owns WinAMP, which is my MP3 player of choice, so I'll be keeping AOL for awhile, at leasr until the make another deal with the evil empire and decide to use IE again, since I'm already stuck with IE, AOL is actually a safer alternitave, espeically for e-mail instead of Cablevision's Outlook Express e-mail which is a crapy pain in the @$$ to begin with.

sdtPikachu
06-02-2002, 08:29 PM
AOL 7.0 in the USA no longer uses the IE6 Plug-in, it's a seperate browser, I found that out after I switched to 7.0 from 6.0

Yeah, true... AOL came to the end of the cntract where they'd tie into IE, and now AOL 7 uses Netscape (they do own netscape, after all). Not that I don't like netscape (it's a damn siight better than IE), I just prefer Opera.

Doesn't AOL let you use any browser though? I have a friend on AOL, and on my advice she just dials in with AOL and browses with Opera. Once the connection is there, anything can use it, including your "non AOL" browser. I would just hate to be tied down to that interface... ugh...

50 million pop-ups at sign off,

Two words: Opera/Mozilla

which I'm able to block with ZA PRO, oh, and did I mention I got MacCaffe VirusSacn for a Discount from AOL? VirusScan was a program I needed anyway so that was good for me

Persoanlly, you'd never catch me using McAffee. As far as virus scanners go, it's good, but it's not the best. My virus scanner cost me £2 (student license - full version costs £80) for the Datafellows/F-Secure AV suite, which I love bacuse th emost out-of-date the patches have been is oooh 12 hours. It's the same virus protections our college uses (hence why it was so cheap), and frankly, along with Mailsafe and all the rest of it, Windows is now almost virus proof. Of course, not using Outlook, IE or messenger helps considerably.

I've gotten so much stuff from AOL it ain't fuuny

Of course you have; if the UK branch are anything to go by, you're paying for it very nicely indeed.

and it's actually worht the coasters they send in the mail, Pika I'm still waiting for thse book-ends.

We've got about 50 CD's now, we need a stack of about 80 before we can glue them together and chop 'em in twain.

Also AOL owns WinAMP, which is my MP3 player of choice, so I'll be keeping AOL for awhile

True, Winamp rocks, but no way will you catch me supporting AOL just cos of one good program that one of their affilites makes. Besides, rumours are afoot that Winamp's days of being free are numbered...

at leasr until the make another deal with the evil empire and decide to use IE again, since I'm already stuck with IE, AOL is actually a safer alternitave, espeically for e-mail instead of Cablevision's Outlook Express e-mail which is a crapy pain in the @$$ to begin with.

No way would you ever catch me dealing with a company who tie you down to specific software. Sure, I rent my service from you. But to say that service can only work with a certain program is either:

a) laziness on their part (like the "IE only" websites which are a result of Microsofts ignoring of web standards and lazy designers)

b) downright shifty. Why the hell do you need a specific application, eh? Why won't this other one that does exactly the same thing do, eh? That kinda stuff just makes me totally paranoid.

It's MY computer and I'll run on it what I choose. I like to know what its doing, and if I ever found any company who tried to foist slightly dodgy software or services on anyone, I would run a mile. Case in point: a friend of mine was firstly told that only Windows or Mac machines could access the web via their ISP Since he was dual booting, he just grabbed the dialup info and plugged it into Linux Then one day he gets an email saying they've detected him using a Linux machine (they got it from the server logs when he went to pick up their shi**y webmail, and then said that this violated his contract and they were cutting him off. C***s.

An ISP provides an internet service, nothing more, nothing less. All I require is a phone number and a domain name entry, and I'm happy, and if I have to pay extra for it then fine.

Damnit, principles can be such an expensive thing to have.

I also find it odd that this ended up in the screenshots thread. : goes looks up "digression" in the dictionary :

The_Dunadan
06-12-2002, 04:19 PM
i think i lost my mind! i started organizing folders and stuff and deletin a little here and a little there when all of a sudden....well, you know how it is right? you just go crazy and delete and uninstall and clean and stuff. well, when i got done, only the recycle bin remained on my desktop! look!!!

http://www.liquid2k.com/sigma/newdesk.jpg

i've configured my start menu so i can easily access my most used progs....

http://www.liquid2k.com/sigma/start.jpg

i don't know if i like it or not. i can always go back....

Revival
06-12-2002, 04:48 PM
LMAO -- I've had that for a while.. I hate icons.. so I have everything on my quick launch bar and my start bar. Never have to close or minimize anything.

The_Dunadan
06-20-2002, 10:23 PM
here is the latest of mah fine desktops......

-apu-
06-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Here's mine......i love final fantasy :)
and also...i got windows xp but i hate that bubbly look so i just changed it back