PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix look to dominate 2004

Perfect Stu
03-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Not that this year won't be good (FFX-2, Star Ocean 3, FFXI) but next year looks to beat the competition to death.

I call it the Square-Enix 1-2-3...

1. Dragon Quest VIII

Ouch. That's what I call an opening punch...it will probably sell 2-3 million in Japan alone. I don't know exactly how much of a success this series is in North America, but you can bet Square-Enix will be ready to rake in some profits.

2. Final Fantasy XII

POW! The second blow is even more fierce than the first. Squaresoft looks to be taking this game in a slightly different direction than FFX, with a new art direction and some different developers. This will, undoubtably, be a huge hit in Japan and North America.

and the competition is staggering...against the ropes now...Square-Enix looks like they want to finish them off...

3. Chrono 3

Ooo, that aint pretty. Square-Enix delivers the knockout punch. Nothing is known about this game as of yet, but I can almost guaruntee that it's in the works and will land in 2004. The first two installments in the Chrono series are widely considered 2 of the best RPGs ever made.

And there you have it, folks. Unless I come across some major competition, I think that Square-Enix will take the contest in a KO. Any challengers?

Crono
03-08-2003, 12:03 PM
I think "Chrono 3" is the one to watch out for. Chrono Trigger was originally co-produced by the creator of Dragon Quest, plus the creator of FF (It was called the "Dream Team", along with artist Akira Toriyama). Put those 2 together again and theres no telling how amazing "Chrono 3" can be.

Dragon Warrior VII was the best selling PSX game of all time in Japan. They actually had to enforce a law, that DQ games were only able to be released on days where there was no school or a holiday, because kids would skip shcool just to buy these games. Lol. Having a game that sells this much is a pretty big blow to GCN and Xbox when it comes to RPGs. DW8's graphics are being developed by Level 5, using the Dark Cloud 2 graphics engine. Very nice.

Judging from the poster and art, FFXII seems to be pretty cool so far. Hopefully it's shown at E3.

BreakABone
03-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Well to be fair to anyone in this comparison, we don't know many folks' plans for 2004, I mean it's a impressive and well recognized 3 game combo, but eh, who knows what 2004 holds.

BlueFire
03-08-2003, 05:57 PM
While I'm waiting for the next Chrono installment, I'm pretty sure that Dragon Quest VIII will rape sales in Japan.

nWoCHRISnWo
03-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Well I don't know if you're talking about sales only or what, but personally I'll probably hate all three of those games. Konami's 2003 line-up (do these three all come out in 2003 anyway?) looks ten times better than Square-Enix's 2004 line-up.

-Metal Gear Solid 3
-3D Castlevania
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The Germanator
03-08-2003, 06:18 PM
I have to agree with Chris on this one, only because I'm not much of an RPG'er. Though the Square-Enix will probably sell more, I'll enjoy Konami's betta.

Perfect Stu
03-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I was talking about sales...since I obviously can't make a list that caters to everyone's favourite genre.