PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind looks sweet

Neo
02-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Morrowind is set in the fantastical world of Tamriel, and the game takes place on the large volcanic island of Vvardenfell. You arrive on the island as a prisoner and are tasked, like an indentured servant, to complete a variety of missions in exchange for your freedom. These early quests serve partly as a tutorial but also act as a primer to the real story before you embark any adventure of consequence. The interesting thing about your first few hours on the island is that you can attempt to escape at almost any time. Immediately, we discovered Morrowind's chief difference from other single-player console RPGs--you're free to do pretty much whatever you want. You'll face a similar defining moment later in the game when you encounter the strange entity known as "The Blight," which you learn is transforming Vvardenfell into a barren wasteland. You can try to stop it and save the island--a quest Bethesda estimates would take about 40 hours--or if that sounds boring, you can put it on the backburner and explore the 100 hours' worth of side quests instead. These quests mostly involve aligning yourself with one of the five countries, guilds, or religious factions on the island, which all have tasks for you to complete. What makes your freedom all the more real is the fact that Vvardenfell is a completely rendered land with real-time nights and days, dozens of towns to visit, and almost every nook and cranny navigable--or at least visible.

Scheduled for release in about one week.

Bond
02-06-2002, 05:45 PM
The game does and looks great on paper. But I'm not sure how the actual 'do whatever you want' approach will work.

DeathsHand
02-06-2002, 06:05 PM
I remember seeing a preview for this game on PC awhile ago and I thought it looked sweety, but I read a preview for the Xbox version recently and it said something about in the current build, the controls were kinda sluggish and stuff or something like that...

that's not the final version but... meh...

BigJustinW
02-06-2002, 06:08 PM
wasn't this game supposed to be a X-Box launch game?

Bond
02-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW
wasn't this game supposed to be a X-Box launch game?
No, I don't think it was ever for launch. But it was delayed a few times.

BigJustinW
02-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Bond

No, I don't think it was ever for launch. But it was delayed a few times.

EGM had it on the launch list :unsure:

Professor S
02-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah, and Eternal Darkness and Starfox were supposed to come out 1st quarter, but they ain't. Delays happen. Whats your point?

And Marrowind does look great. My favorite part of it is that it is one of the upcoming games that is going to be using XBox's advantages over the other systems (mainly the HD). It makes me feelmore confident about my choice. As for the sluggish controls, I haven't heard anything like that. Where did you hear it? Even if, I'm sure sluggish controls are probably one of the easier problems to fix in a game.

BigJustinW
02-08-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by The Strangler
Yeah, and Eternal Darkness and Starfox were supposed to come out 1st quarter, but they ain't. Delays happen. Whats your point?

That's nintendo, I expect delays from nintendo.... I guess Microsoft is following suit, especially with Raw.

Professor S
02-08-2002, 09:47 AM
MS has no real control over whether or not a game is delayed. Thats on the developer and distributor. Developers ruitinely give false early release dates to create an early buzz about their product. Plus, I'd rather have a game come out good, than just early.

Raw is looking to be fantastic, so I'm glad they delayed it. But they took out BLOOD, which is sacriligious in my book. It looks liek they're doing the same thing for Wrestemania X8 on Gamecube. Why is the WWF on a tear to destroy their best product?

Make Hulk ANGRY!!!:mad2: